Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
3 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Doom 3 is overhated.
Half Life: Blue Shift is underrated.
The DualShock4 feels worse than the mighty trident of the N64.

The only one of those games I got is half life but I don’t know what blue shift means.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The only one of those games I got is half life but I don’t know what blue shift means.

Blue Shift was one of the expansions for classic Half Life and as the expansions were named based of some kind of fitting scientific term, such as Decay, or Opposing force.

A definition of the term blueshift in relation to the sciences, found on google
"The term "blueshift" refers to 
the shift in wavelengths of light toward the blue end of the spectrum as an object moves toward us in space. Astronomers use blueshift to understand motions of galaxies toward each other and toward our region of space."

I'm guessing it was a good candidate for the expansion name since you play as a security guard, who's uniforms are blue.

Edited by wolfmcbeard
Broken image, not really needed so removed.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

9 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Doom 3 is overhated.
Half Life: Blue Shift is underrated.
The DualShock4 feels worse than the mighty trident of the N64.

If only Crowbar Collective would remake B.S. and O.F. like they did with H.L.1.

You guys assume all PvP are twitch shooters relying on who's packet arrives first. Hate that junk because the game play is the same.

Much prefer to watch Forged Alliance Forever matches by Gyle. You twitch shooters would have your brain full out of your skull if you had to do that degree of multi tasking.

8 hours ago, wseaton said:

You guys assume all PvP are twitch shooters relying on who's packet arrives first. Hate that junk because the game play is the same.

Much prefer to watch Forged Alliance Forever matches by Gyle. You twitch shooters would have your brain full out of your skull if you had to do that degree of multi tasking.

Not sure where circle strafing has jack or shit to do with twitch shooter PVP.

If there's a style/genre of FPS; I have played it.  There's some things enjoyable with a controller.  But KB/M will always be best.  Period.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Not sure where circle strafing has jack or shit to do with twitch shooter PVP.

If there's a style/genre of FPS; I have played it.  There's some things enjoyable with a controller.  But KB/M will always be best.  Period.

What is wrong with these circles anyway?  Why are people shooting at them?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Destiny (1 & 2) are Bungie's worst games.
I'll go further - they're some of the worst games ... period.

16 minutes ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

You’re digging kinda deep there.  The worst game I ever played was on a trs80 model 1 with a cassette tape player as a drive.  It was about a haunted carnival and was so bad that the final boss was inside the center of the merry-go-round in a room with no door.  You actually had to hack the game to finish it.  I don’t think This was intentional.  They just forgot I think. Was a commerically sold game.  With a baggie and a color printed card (which was only possible of a press back then) and everything.

Edited by Bombastinator

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You’re digging kinda deep there.  The worst game I ever played was on a trs80 model 1 with a cassette tape player as a drive.  It was about a haunted carnival and was so bad that the final boss was inside the center of the merry-go-round in a room with no door.  You actually had to hack the game to finish it.  I don’t think This was intentional.  They just forgot I think. 

I guess it depends on what you interpret as making a game good or bad.

I dislike playing Paper Mario even though it's an objectively good game. Some games are good because they are fun to play, some are good because they set healthy market trends or introduce new mechanics or features that other games benefit from in the future.

Destiny isn't bad because it's not fun - it's engineered to be fun. It's the video-game equivalent of heroine - dishing out dopamine in little bite sized portions. It has a low skill requirement so it attracts a wide audience. But it has irrevocably damaged the gaming industry. It's why mobile gaming is so bad - no amount of candy crush and match 3 was ever going to be worth the introduction of the mincro-transaction-virus that has infected the gaming industry as a whole.

Bungie's greatest game was Halo: Reach. Everything since has been a disaster.

53 minutes ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

I guess it depends on what you interpret as making a game good or bad.

I dislike playing Paper Mario even though it's an objectively good game. Some games are good because they are fun to play, some are good because they set healthy market trends or introduce new mechanics or features that other games benefit from in the future.

Destiny isn't bad because it's not fun - it's engineered to be fun. It's the video-game equivalent of heroine - dishing out dopamine in little bite sized portions. It has a low skill requirement so it attracts a wide audience. But it has irrevocably damaged the gaming industry. It's why mobile gaming is so bad - no amount of candy crush and match 3 was ever going to be worth the introduction of the mincro-transaction-virus that has infected the gaming industry as a whole.

Bungie's greatest game was Halo: Reach. Everything since has been a disaster.

So most destructively evil game.  “Worst” is a vague word.  So is evil for that matter.  Was it the game that introduced loot boxes? “Let’s teach children to gamble with their parents money” always struck me as pretty evil.  The US judicial system too apparently.

58 minutes ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

I'll try again - Bullpup rifles are superior to conventional rifles.

Don’t think it’s possible to quantify the superiority of a bullpup to a conventional rifle except situationally. On the one hand, it’s possible to cram a lot more gun into a smaller package (muzzle velocity-wise due to a longer barrel for the same length of gun). The AUG is pretty great as is the RDB. A lot of others are not. It really depends on quality, just like any gun.

On the other hand, they tend to have worse triggers and be bad for ambidextrous or left handed shooters, although both of these are starting to be fixed (better triggers in recent years, and downward ejection). Poor reloads too.

6 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Don’t think it’s possible to quantify the superiority of a bullpup to a conventional rifle except situationally. On the one hand, it’s possible to cram a lot more gun into a smaller package (muzzle velocity-wise due to a longer barrel for the same length of gun). The AUG is pretty great as is the RDB. A lot of others are not. It really depends on quality, just like any gun.

On the other hand, they tend to have worse triggers and be bad for ambidextrous or left handed shooters, although both of these are starting to be fixed (better triggers in recent years, and downward ejection). Poor reloads too.

My main memory of the bullpup is actually the original thing commercially called “bullpup” which was a conversion kit for the ruger mini14.

It didn’t make the gun fire any better (quite the reverse actually) but it made the gun look a lot more intimidating, which is why I think people bought it.  So fashion over function.  Depending of course on what that function is, which is sort of the crux of the issue.  The original ak47 could have come out as a bullpup.  It was tested in that configuration by Kalashnikov in the 40’s.  He decided it was unhelpful and did not use it.

Edited by Bombastinator

11 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Gotta disagree.

While the AUG is popular as being one of the first widely known bullpup designs, it's exclusively responsible for the association between the bullpup design and poor trigger quality. 

The AUG had several design flaws, not the least of which was a large, cumbersome, and overly-complex linkage assembly for the trigger that was a regular point of failure.

Modern bullpups (the Tavor, RDB, MDRX, etc.) have perfectly usable triggers with little to no play and a quick, satisfying reset.

In addition to having a longer barrel (better muzzle velocity, straighter munition path, and ultimately tighter groupings), bullpups are also lighter weight, have less actual recoil since the weight is closer to your shoulder, and they are easier to reload while standing.

There are some loses - being easier to reload while standing comes at the cost of being harder to reload while prone.

All of the platforms I listed are also fully ambidextrous, and some even have a forward-eject option.

The Tavor 7 in particular is a uniquely reliable weapon. You could freeze it, dredge the bottom of a muddy lake, drop it in sand... brush it off and fire it. Reliably. It's gas system is the best I've ever used.

1 minute ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

Gotta disagree.

While the AUG is popular as being one of the first widely known bullpup designs, it's exclusively responsible for the association between the bullpup design and poor trigger quality. 

The AUG had several design flaws, not the least of which was a large, cumbersome, and overly-complex linkage assembly for the trigger that was a regular point of failure.

Modern bullpups (the Tavor, RDB, MDRX, etc.) have perfectly usable triggers with little to no play and a quick, satisfying reset.

In addition to having a longer barrel (better muzzle velocity, straighter munition path, and ultimately tighter groupings), bullpups are also lighter weight, have less actual recoil since the weight is closer to your shoulder, and they are easier to reload while standing.

There are some loses - being easier to reload while standing comes at the cost of being harder to reload while prone.

All of the platforms I listed are also fully ambidextrous, and some even have a forward-eject option.

The Tavor 7 in particular is a uniquely reliable weapon. You could freeze it, dredge the bottom of a muddy lake, drop it in sand... brush it off and fire it. Reliably. It's gas system is the best I've ever used.

It depends I think on the specific purpose of a firearm in a given instance.  If the main purpose is to say, hang on a guard to make him look more badassin to random passers by it can be quite useful.  As a weapon of war often not-so-much.

9 hours ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

I'll try again - Bullpup rifles are superior to conventional rifles.

Agree.  But there are 2 distinct disadvantages for bullpups.

-Not all are designed for ambidexterous shooting (most aren't)

-Muzzle blast gets exceedingly worse for the user when you have a short barrel combined with a larger-grain round.  See examples of .308 being fired from an MDRX (I love the MDRX, but I wouldn't go above 5.56 with one).

I do love the fact that an MDRX Micron has like .5" longer overall length than a FN P90--with a much better trigger, feel, more potent ammo, etc.  And I do think the MDRX has overall one of the best setups for mag dropping and reloading--out of any bullpup. 

On 8/6/2022 at 9:32 PM, OrdinaryPhil said:

Yeah, I don't like them, but I reserve terms like "worst games" for something far different. 

They are definitely soulless and boring to me though. They're very polished, and the controls feel good though. And I can see the potential for some co-op fun. They just seem to run out of steam far more quickly for me than for some other people though, apparently. (like after only a few hours, or a couple sessions).

1 hour ago, namename420 said:

american dad is better than family guy. 

The Orville > both combined with a healthy dose of Cleveland Show to boot.

Reporting people to authorities (Karen-style) is much more effective than actually adulting and confronting adversity directly.

14 minutes ago, IPD said:

Reporting people to authorities (Karen-style) is much more effective than actually adulting and confronting adversity directly.

That’s only if the authorities give a shit and if they have time. We have had some people report things to the local police and the police never show up. Some of these things were of a safety concern, things law enforcement might want to be involved in. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That’s only if the authorities give a shit and if they have time. We have had some people report things to the local police and the police never show up. Some of these things were of a safety concern, things law enforcement might want to be involved in. 

Guess I should have specified that this applies most exclusively to the online arena.

IRL, yeah.  Absolutely.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:22 PM, namename420 said:

american dad is better than family guy. 

I found myself unable to watch family guy.  It made me sick to my stomach.  I don’t know why American dad didn’t do it so much.  Perhaps because the cia is more removed from my everyday experience.  In retrospect the content of both was really horrific.  I guess that means my disgust didn’t come from where I thought it did 😕

Im not sold on the Steam Deck because Valve has a bad rep for hardware support. Steam Controller....... Steam Link........ Steam Machines........ I have a feeling the Deck could be a one version product like those mentioned. I think if they release a V2, then the whole concept would be a success. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Im not sold on the Steam Deck because Valve has a bad rep for hardware support. Steam Controller....... Steam Link........ Steam Machines........ I have a feeling the Deck could be a one version product like those mentioned. I think if they release a V2, then the whole concept would be a success. 

It won't flop if we won't shut up about it and continue to hype 😉

Afaik ValveIndex is the best product in its small market, and while SteamLink is no more, SteamLinkSoftware lives on.

Also the Deck feels like the natural progression from SteamMachines and SteamController. With the chips like 5500U - cheap gaming in a small form factor is finally a reality. Progress with Proton, and risen interest in handhelds feel like the best scenario for this to flourish.

SteamOS is the main product and the goal is for gamers to switch.