Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
5 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

bathing shorts, with or without underpants?

If the things have net ones built in (which they often do) I wear just those

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Been that way for a long time.  There are countries that are much worse about it.  You’re not going to find unclothed mixed gender public anything in the US.  The problem is there are people who do not want to be seen naked (such as myself) or to see others in that state. (There’s a whole series of jokes about it.  One that was popular when I was young was “take my eyes, please, I don’t want them anymore”. Such people would complain vociferously if kept from a public place because of such things.

A logical consequence of a society that has too many fat people, no?

2 minutes ago, IPD said:

Except it goes back to the original founding of the nation and the obesity problem the US has didn’t start till much later.  “Yankey doodle” is not a new tune. There’s the line “stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni” which is pretty odd in modern parlance.  It becomes more of a thing though if you know that macaroni was a really old fashion trend.  The noodle was named after the trend rather than the reverse.  It involved amongst other things copious amounts of very complicated and expensive lace.  Something someone incredibly dour and unfashionable who doesn’t even really  know what macaroni is might do.   So really quite old.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Except it goes back to the original founding of the nation and the obesity problem the US has didn’t start till much later.  “Yankey doodle” is not a new tune. There’s the line “stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni” which is pretty odd in modern parlance.  It becomes more of a thing though if you know that macaroni was a really old fashion trend.  The noodle was named after the trend rather than the reverse.  It involved amongst other things copious amounts of very complicated and expensive lace.  Something someone incredibly dour and unfashionable who doesn’t even really  know what macaroni is might do.   So really quite old.

I'm aware.  Most folk tunes prior to about 1800 usually had several lifetimes of reuse.

17 minutes ago, IPD said:

Its not the fatness. Im going to say its probably religious reasoning. While the country is built on the separation of Church and State its not really practiced the way it should. Ill leave it like that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Controller is better than KB/M for pretty much every genre outside of RTS/Strategy games, and yes, including first person shooters (in fact I'd say especially for FPS).

All I ever hear is that they're more accurate... and I'll grant that. But who cares! I'm not a competitive gamer. I play for fun and immersion, and I find controller excels at that.

Mostly it's the keyboard for movement I have an issue with. Mouse looking is fine, but nothing beats the analog stick for movement immersion. Especially for stealth, and when you need to finely control your movements. Plus all the other uses for analog sticks, like lock picking, etc (especially with haptic feedback).

Using keys to walk frankly sucks to me. The only thing keyboards have going for them is all the extra bindings. I've been wanting controllers to have a few extra buttons for some time now. But overall, I'll pick controller whenever I can.

Also, unless the keyboard is virtually silent, my annoyance factor with keyboards goes up 1000 fold. playing online with noisy KB/M people annoys me as much as if you were chewing food in my ear. I use a relatively cheap Logitech MK295 with "silent touch" and it's my idea of the perfect keyboard feel. Damn you mechanical clicky keyboard people. 🤪

/rant!

edit: and be gentle, I'm new, and this is the unpopular opinion thread don't forget. 😀

7 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

including first person shooters (in fact I'd say especially for FPS)

Because of handycap/aim assist?

Because to me it seems many games have a bias to controller assist.

Though not in all games I guess.

I edit my posts more often than not

15 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Because of handycap/aim assist?

Because to me it seems many games have a bias to controller assist.

Though not in all games I guess.

As I hinted at in my post, I don't give a damn about how many frags a minute I can get. It's all about the feel, immersion and fun. Keeping in mind that I play almost exclusively SP and Co-op games. I also lean towards more strategic and stealth based games (more Thief, and less Serious Sam), so that's part of it.

I hate things like death match, especially with strangers. That being said, I enjoy battle royale games (I think because the stakes are higher. I hate the die/respawn/die/respawn mechanics of most multplayer. It bores me). So I put in my time with some games like fortnight in the past, and I still play Warzone almost every day, but still opt for controller because I have more fun.

I also prefer to sit on my couch and play on my TV. This can be done fine with a KB/M, but the controller lends itself to that even moreso.

So it's really a perfect storm of my physical setup, the genres I play, and the subjective feel for me (mostly the left stick movement).

23 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

As I hinted at in my post, I don't give a damn about how many frags a minute I can get. It's all about the feel, immersion and fun. Keeping in mind that I play almost exclusively SP and Co-op games. I also lean towards more strategic and stealth based games (more Thief, and less Serious Sam), so that's part of it.

I hate things like death match, especially with strangers. That being said, I enjoy battle royale games (I think because the stakes are higher. I hate the die/respawn/die/respawn mechanics of most multplayer. It bores me). So I put in my time with some games like fortnight in the past, and I still play Warzone almost every day, but still opt for controller because I have more fun.

I also prefer to sit on my couch and play on my TV. This can be done fine with a KB/M, but the controller lends itself to that even moreso.

So it's really a perfect storm of my physical setup, the genres I play, and the subjective feel for me (mostly the left stick movement).

For some games they are better yeah.

I used to be KB+Mouse all the time, until Dark Souls PC version.

I wish theres an affordable enough keyboard with the left portion of a modern controller on it.

I remember playing Dirge of Cerberus on PS2 back then with controller on my left hand for movement, and mouse on my right hand for aiming.
Up to this day I still can't aim well using controller. It's possible, it just takes me a lot longer than mouse. 🤣

But yep, I can see where ya came from

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

For some games they are better yeah.

I used to be KB+Mouse all the time, until Dark Souls PC version.

I wish theres an affordable enough keyboard with the left portion of a modern controller on it.

I remember playing Dirge of Cerberus on PS2 back then with controller on my left hand for movement, and mouse on my right hand for aiming.
Up to this day I still can't aim well using controller. It's possible, it just takes me a lot longer than mouse. 🤣

But yep, I can see where ya came from

That would be interesting. Or some wii-esque nunchuck in my left hand, and mouse in the right? lol. Actually, that would be horrible.

3 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

Controller is better than KB/M for pretty much every genre outside of RTS/Strategy games, and yes, including first person shooters (in fact I'd say especially for FPS).

All I ever hear is that they're more accurate... and I'll grant that. But who cares! I'm not a competitive gamer. I play for fun and immersion, and I find controller excels at that.

Mostly it's the keyboard for movement I have an issue with. Mouse looking is fine, but nothing beats the analog stick for movement immersion. Especially for stealth, and when you need to finely control your movements. Plus all the other uses for analog sticks, like lock picking, etc (especially with haptic feedback).

Using keys to walk frankly sucks to me. The only thing keyboards have going for them is all the extra bindings. I've been wanting controllers to have a few extra buttons for some time now. But overall, I'll pick controller whenever I can.

Also, unless the keyboard is virtually silent, my annoyance factor with keyboards goes up 1000 fold. playing online with noisy KB/M people annoys me as much as if you were chewing food in my ear. I use a relatively cheap Logitech MK295 with "silent touch" and it's my idea of the perfect keyboard feel. Damn you mechanical clicky keyboard people. 🤪

/rant!

edit: and be gentle, I'm new, and this is the unpopular opinion thread don't forget. 😀

Then why do controller players that are good at fps(first person shooters not frames per second) get crushed by kb/m(keyboard and mouse) players that aren’t good?  The problem as I have been given to understand by various people studying the problem, is that joysticks work off vector and acceleration rather than position and are as a result inherently much less accurate. It’s so bad that controller users with auto aim get beaten by kb/m players without it.  It can have advantages but also disadvantages.  Controllers could and have avoided this problem. The steam controller did but it was too different and failed in the marketplace.  In situations where vector/acceleration is more helpful than position, such as driving games, it can be superior.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Then why do controller players that are good at fps(first person shooters not frames per second) get crushed by kb/m(keyboard and mouse) players that aren’t good?  The problem as I have been given to understand by various people studying the problem, is that joysticks work off vector and acceleration rather than position and are as a result inherently much less accurate. It’s so bad that controller users with auto aim get beaten by kb/m players without it.  It can have advantages but also disadvantages.  Controllers could and have avoided this problem. The steam controller did but it was too different and failed in the marketplace.  In situations where vector/acceleration is more helpful than position, such as driving games, it can be superior.

Not sure exactly what you're asking here. As far as an in depth technological reason as to why using a mouse is so much better than a thumb stick when it comes to accuracy, I think it boils down to several things. Most are clear on the surface, like range of motion, speed of movement, etc... I'm sure there's more to it like the stuff you mentioned. 

But if you're trying to make a counterpoint to what I said, I acknowledged in my post that mouse looking is more precise, and better if all you care about is your K/D ratio. I was specifically pointing out that it's very low on my list of importance for gaming. I'm not trying to win a tournament, or have bragging rights. I hold my own well enough in Warzone, but largely I'm playing single player or PVE, and don't have any issues having success in those areas, and it ultimately just feels better (in my not so humble opinion, obviously).

thumb sticks is made to feel better with like camera controls. sometimes a smooth camera movement, compared to fast zoomer 😛

For acc, you got mouse. Using an controller can be more immersive and the added feedback features that can be in them or created. (to VR gloves etc).

But in MP there is a massive difference depending on the game, to the limitations of buttons with controllers unless they are an gimmick.

16 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

thumb sticks is made to feel better with like camera controls. sometimes a smooth camera movement, compared to fast zoomer 😛

For acc, you got mouse. Using an controller can be more immersive and the added feedback features that can be in them or created. (to VR gloves etc).

But in MP there is a massive difference depending on the game, to the limitations of buttons with controllers unless they are an gimmick.

Yep, that pretty much summarizes it quite well.

5 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

/rant!

Well to be fair, you can probably easily configure a controller for movement and a mouse for look--all on a PC.  Though I have never been able to circle-strafe nearly as easily, deliberately or precisely aim while doing so--without KB/Mouse.  And I'm someone who played more Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2/FP than you can shake a stick at.

Using keys to walk isn't the only thing.  My strafe keys are adjacent to my forward key (I'm an EDSF gamer, so those are W and R respectively).  Crouch is L.Shift, Jump is space and run/walk is CAPS; map/menu on Tab.  On a controller, I'd have to use my right hand to strafe right; on a KB, i can do all the movement with 1 hand.  And this is only compounded if you try to  play something like Overload with a goddamn controller.  6DOF shooters with a controller is a crime against humanity, I'm fairly certain.  It ranks up there with watching Avatar without 3D and killing puppies.

P.S.

Noisy keyboards is a personal problem.  Get silent reds and mod them for even more quiet.  If your personal habit patterns make too much noise, you need a better keyboard and a more deft touch.  If someone else's annoys you--then get some headphones.

P.P.S.

I would counter-argue that it's pretty close to 50/50 where a controller excels at over a KB/M.  Platformers, puzzles and fighting games/brawlers and adventure games are usually better with a controller.  RTS, FPS, hack-and-slash, top-down-shooters (Alien Swarm, Smash TV), 6DOF shooters (Overload), RPG's (other than sprite based ones), MMO's and arena games are all better with a KB/M. 

1 minute ago, IPD said:

Well to be fair, you can probably easily configure a controller for movement and a mouse for look--all on a PC.  Though I have never been able to circle-strafe nearly as easily, deliberately or precisely aim while doing so--without KB/Mouse.  And I'm someone who played more Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2/FP than you can shake a stick at.

Using keys to walk isn't the only thing.  My strafe keys are adjacent to my forward key (I'm an EDSF gamer, so those are W and R respectively).  Crouch is L.Shift, Jump is space and run/walk is CAPS; map/menu on Tab.  On a controller, I'd have to use my right hand to strafe right; on a KB, i can do all the movement with 1 hand.  And this is only compounded if you try to  play something like Overload with a goddamn controller.  6DOF shooters with a controller is a crime against humanity, I'm fairly certain.  It ranks up there with watching Avatar without 3D and killing puppies.

P.S.

Noisy keyboards is a personal problem.  Get silent reds and mod them for even more quiet.  If your personal habit patterns make too much noise, you need a better keyboard and a more deft touch.  If someone else's annoys you--then get some headphones.

Yeah, my other challenge with Keyboards is that I'm a lefty. So when I do use one, I like to remap to the numpad, then mouse in my left hand. That's all fine and dandy, but there are enough occasional instances of that causing different kinds of nuisances for me.

Sometimes games will reset bindings on me, or the tutorial doesn't update the on screen instructions to the new bindings, and other fringe issues like that. By and large, it's not an issue, but when you have to learn a game from another player, and you're on non-standard controls, or have to remap them more than once (when you literally had to remap EVERYTHING), it makes me wish I was a righty lol. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

People forget that the KB/M operates on a different principle from a controller.  The KB is flat on a surface for support, so you don't expend any effort/digits to support it; all 5 fingers of the left hand are free to press buttons.  On a controller, you usually need the palm, ring and pinky fingers to support the controller with the left hand.

With a mouse, it's almost worse.  You're able to use not only fingers for actions, but wrist and arm movement for control as well.  And that's not even touching on how you can adjust DPI on the fly for different situations in the game.

The gist is that you get a broader range of control and ability via KB/M. 

2 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

Not sure exactly what you're asking here. As far as an in depth technological reason as to why using a mouse is so much better than a thumb stick when it comes to accuracy, I think it boils down to several things. Most are clear on the surface, like range of motion, speed of movement, etc... I'm sure there's more to it like the stuff you mentioned. 

But if you're trying to make a counterpoint to what I said, I acknowledged in my post that mouse looking is more precise, and better if all you care about is your K/D ratio. I was specifically pointing out that it's very low on my list of importance for gaming. I'm not trying to win a tournament, or have bragging rights. I hold my own well enough in Warzone, but largely I'm playing single player or PVE, and don't have any issues having success in those areas, and it ultimately just feels better (in my not so humble opinion, obviously).

So PvP games work well as long as you don’t play PvP.  Most people do though.  

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So PvP games work well as long as you don’t play PvP.  Most people do though.  

Again, not 100% sure what you're getting at (I don't understand the first sentence), but yes, PvP is very popular, as are KB/M controls, which is why my opinion is an unpopular one.

But even when I do PVP (and I do) I still opt for controller because for me, it's the most fun. It doesn't render me uncompetitive. But I realize I could probably get a few more kills per match if I focused on mouse more. But I don't care about score at the end of the day (as long as I'm performing somewhat well of course, as I am only human). If I were looking to go pro, or break records or something, that would be a different story.

Edit: And to be clear, I don't judge anyone else for wanting to min/max their performance, obviously. To each their own. My priorities are just different. 

8 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Again, not 100% sure what you're getting at (I don't understand the first sentence), but yes, PvP is very popular, as are KB/M controls, which is why my opinion is an unpopular one.

But even when I do PVP (and I do) I still opt for controller because for me, it's the most fun. It doesn't render me uncompetitive. But I realize I could probably get a few more kills per match if I focused on mouse more. But I don't care about score at the end of the day (as long as I'm performing somewhat well of course, as I am only human). If I were looking to go pro, or break records or something, that would be a different story.

Edit: And to be clear, I don't judge anyone else for wanting to min/max their performance, obviously. To each their own. My priorities are just different. 

It was a restatement of your earlier comment.  The concept that controllers are better in PvP games as long as you don’t participate (or at least pay any mind to) in the PvP is noted.  I don’t think it makes them generally better because so few people do that.  I also am lousy at PvP.  My solution is not to play PvP games though not to treat them as PvE games.  Are PvP games better as PvE games?  I actually think so, but that is because I am so bad at pvp.   PvP is a twitch game thing.  How fast are your reflexes.  As such they are dominated by the young which I haven’t been in a long time.

To be fair, I enjoyed UT2k4 RPG mod much more when I was facing random enemies and computer AI--than fighting against meth-addled players.

And my point still stands about circle-strafe being about a bajillion times easier on KB/M.

51 minutes ago, IPD said:

And my point still stands about circle-strafe being about a bajillion times easier on KB/M.

Unless circle strafing means something different than how it sounds, can't say I have any issues with a controller. 

In fact, assuming it is what I envision, I'd almost think it was easier, as you can pick your turn speed and just hold it, without having to constantly move your "look"

5 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Unless circle strafing means something different than how it sounds, can't say I have any issues with a controller. 

You can perform it with a controller.  I've done this frequently on N64 and GCN.  But the issue still remains.  You end up using hard preset speeds for angle of approach and turn vector--rather than being able to adapt on the fly to being closer/further from an enemy, aiming up/down to match where the weak points are, etc.

In gist, if I have a boss monster that has a weak-point that moves around frequently--and I need to hit it while circle strafing--KB/M will give me a much easier time of doing so.  I'm not constrained by full-lock/full-tilt of a control stick being moved to its maximum--and the commensurate speed from that.  I also don't have to fight to maintain appropriate vertical axis while still trying to maintain appropriate horizontal aiming/axis.

Best example I can think of off the top of my head--where this make a huge difference--is a game like Serious Sam.  Where you are circle strafing to avoid bulls, bolos and other various incoming attacks--and also trying to hit both ground and airborne enemies.  There is no way a game like Serious Sam would work on console without serious modifications to auto-aim, bot-aim, hit-correction, etc.

Doom 3 is overhated.
Half Life: Blue Shift is underrated.
The DualShock4 feels worse than the mighty trident of the N64.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect