Apple now accounting for almost half (47%) of phone sales

wall03

Summary

Apple shipped 15 million iPhones to the US in Q2 2020, leaving it with a giant marketshare of 47.1%, up from 40.8% in the corresponding quarter last year, according to analyst firm Canalys.

Quotes

A key factor in that growth was the iPhone SE 2, which Apple launched in April, amid COVID-19 lockdowns across the globe when most of Apple's retail outlets were closed. The iPhone SE has the latest A13 Bionic processor in an iPhone 8 body. 

As high unemployment continues in the US, the iPhone SE became a sensible choice for iPhone fans who don't need the best camera or screen, particularly for the many consumers looking to upgrade from an iPhone 7 and earlier. 

At the same time, according to Canalys, Apple shipped 15% more of the iPhone 11 than the iPhone XR, the slightly budget-friendly take on the flagship iPhone with an LCD screen instead of OLED. 

Also lucky for Apple was that 5G hasn't turned out to be the big driver of new smartphones sales that Samsung and others hoped. Apple still hasn't launched a 5G phone.  

My thoughts

Apple is currently on top (you could say), and I hope everyone bought their stock. Money is to be made.

Sources

https://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-se-boost-means-apple-now-accounts-for-almost-half-of-us-smartphone-sales/

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

No one's going to buy a 720p ph―

Never mind.

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Never mind.

But it’s an Apple phone 

it has to be good 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Drama Lama said:

But it’s an Apple phone 

it has to be good 

And it was. :)

11 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

But it’s an Apple phone 

it has to be good 

Spot on, well said.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

17 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

But it’s an Apple phone 

it has to be good 

Gud because apple.

No other company could sell a phone with a 720p screen yet still crappy screen on time for $400.

In that price range I'd rather have a phone that gets me a day of use without needing to charge.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Gud because apple.

No other company could sell a phone with a 720p screen yet still crappy screen on time for $400.

In that price range I'd rather have a phone that gets me a day of use without needing to charge.

People wouldn’t buy an old Samsung phone with a Snapdragon 865+

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

32 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Gud because apple.

720p at that size could be swapped with 8K and you wouldn’t be able to tell. Or have android manufacturers brainwashed you into “bigger number means better” regardless of context?  

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Shipped doesn't equal sold, they might as well get stolen in a middle of all those riots...

I wonder when we get 1st phone with solid state battery for more recharge cycles. Eink already saving our eyes, but only gives 4-5 days of active use while battery is new.

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

720p at that size could be swapped with 8K and you wouldn’t be able to tell.

Above 1080p is useless, but 720 is definitely noticeable.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Never mind.

When you consider what normal people do with their phones, yes they are lol. I bought an iPhone SE 2020 because I needed something solid to take calls, read and look at Facebook with. I also don't feel like worrying about Android's lackluster update situation, when I buy a phone I expect it to be supported for at least five years. It's like pulling teeth trying to get Samsung and Google to support their phones for more than two years, and Apple usually supports iPhones with the latest iOS version for 4-5 years.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Gud because apple.

Lmao the screen is great, the pixel density is great. Just because it's 720p doesn't mean it's bad. The battery life is fine also, I'm usually at about 50-60% charge remaining at the end of the day. Then again, I don't like watching videos on handheld devices.

Apple's success isn't because they're great, it's because Android is a fragmented cluster fuck of poorly supported devices.

Just now, SeriousDad69 said:

When you consider what normal people do with their phones, yes they are lol. I bought an iPhone SE 2020 because I needed something solid to take calls, read and look at Facebook with. I also don't feel like worrying about Android's lackluster update situation, when I buy a phone I expect it to be supported for at least five years. It's like pulling teeth trying to get Samsung and Google to support their phones for more than two years, and Apple usually supports iPhones with the latest iOS version for 4-5 years.

Yes, that was the entire point of my joke.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Yes, that was the entire point of my joke.

My bad, it went right over my head lol

My bad, it went right over my head lol

r/woosh

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

r/woosh

I don't use reddit because I'm straight, but yeah I guess that was a certified reddit woosh moment lol

I don't use reddit because I'm straight, but yeah I guess that was a certified reddit woosh moment lol

I dont use it either.

maybe someone else can do the honor

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

56 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

Disagree. I have 720p phone and my wife has 1080p and I can't tell the difference if looking at the same image, well at least from normal distance. 

Noooo android needs a differentiating factor for phones so needless 4K displays r better and 16GB of RAM is the minimum requirement.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

While Apple devices are good phones, especially for the common user  I will use UBports before I use Apple. I CONSTANTLY tweak with my phone and Apple doesn't like that.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Could mention in the title that it is for the US only. I would imagine the marketshare is quite different in other parts of the world.

Really, almost half use them in US wtf yo? I knew they're the most popular there but still. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

27 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Really, almost half use them in US wtf yo? I knew they're the most popular there but still. 

They're even more popular in France as far as I could tell when I went there.

Not everybody wants to play around with their phone a whole lot (which Android is good for).  Some just want a phone that doubles as a web browsing and email-checking tool (basically what I use it for) and doesn't need you to fuck around with settings much.  It's also more secure because of the closely controlled app ecosystem.

Also, if you didn't think that the new iPhone SE would sell well then you are out of your mind.  That hit a sorely-missed lower-end price bracket, plus the market for those who hate notches & holes, don't like huge phones, and/or prefer fingerprinting over scanning your face every time you open it.

Also, an iPhone is supported for 4-6 years.  An Android is often lucky if it's supported through three updates.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

Not everybody wants to play around with their phone a whole lot (which Android is good for).  Some just want a phone that doubles as a web browsing and email-checking tool (basically what I use it for) and doesn't need you to fuck around with settings much.  It's also more secure because of the closely controlled app ecosystem.

Also, if you didn't think that the new iPhone SE would sell well then you are out of your mind.  That hit a sorely-missed lower-end price bracket, plus the market for those who hate notches & holes, don't like huge phones, and/or prefer fingerprinting over scanning your face every time you open it.

Also, an iPhone is supported for 4-6 years.  An Android is often lucky if it's supported through three updates.

In general in Europe it's the opposite from US though. Sure not everyone wants to play with settings and phone a lot, but you present it as they need to. Also you present it like an Android phone is sub-par for most basic things like web browsing and emails. Literally even the cheaper models that are cheaper than cheapest Apple model does that fine. The security part is arguable really.

The iPhone SE was something that was missing, though for a long time they only had expensive flagships let's be real. And for general crowd that cheaper models is a better fit anyway. I never said it wouldn't sell better, obviously, decently lower price. The only lack on Android side really is the shorter OS updates cycle sadly. Still, doesn't mean phone is obsolete or unusable for years. More of inconvenience, though sucks more for a flagship expensive phone.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

But it’s an Apple phone 

it has to be good 

https://youtu.be/_n5E7feJHw0

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

Iphone market share in EU have been somewhere around 20%, some times little over sometimes little under.  Numbers from Q1 2020 says 22%, 1% increase from Q1 2019.

https://nokiamob.net/2020/06/03/counterpoints-q1-2020-report-for-europe-doesnt-include-nokia-smartphones/