EXPOSED Master Thread: LTT Store is going to release their own legendary screwdriver, possibly in partnership with MegaPro

Bros get ready, the LTT screwdriver is coming. You've all probably seen the prototype but this is the master thread on everything about it.

Linus has been trying to keep this a secret, but thankfully he's bad that. Several hours of 5head investigation has revealed everything.

As you may know, Linus' legendary orange screwdriver (Snap-On Ratcheting) that he used for 10+ years broke in April. He said in the $800 budget build,

"it's actually dead. The ratchet mechanism has completely gone" ( timestamp )

Linus said in a LTT forum reply over a year ago in August that it's only a "Matter of time" till a LTT screwdriver comes out. So here's the proof that it's happening now:

In the $500 AMD build stream in June, he used a prototype. When the screwdriver fell apart in his hand, he mumbled

"oh this is really not done" (timestamp)

In the tiny AMD build stream in July he commented

"What is this weird screwdriver, why does he keep using this screwdriver ... no one knows, it's a mystery" (timestamp)

So chances are, we're getting a LTT screwdriver.

They are gonna hype it up a lot. Linus even said he is spending over a hundred thousand dollars for the ultimate release. Comments from the July 10th Wan Show:

Linus: "for this particular launch, it's gonna be a *really* big launch for us, this project has been in a long time in the making"

Luke: "I think it's gonna be so legendary ... I can't get into it too much without spoiling" (timestamp)

Upon some 5head investigation though, I found that LTT may be doing a partnership with MegaPro

If you looking closely at the prototype     that Linus used multiple times, it's a MegaPro Automotive Ratcheting Screwdriver, except with their own custom enclosure. The prototype Linus used seems to have a 3D printed handle, but the ratchet, bit storage, and shaft are exactly the same.

A partnership with MegaPro? Hopefully, because the screwdriver itself is really high quality model and a best seller.

Pricing: Very high end ratcheting screwdrivers sell at between $40 and $70. The Snap-On that Linus used to use sells for $71.

The MegaPro Automotive, that LTT may rebrand, sells for $40. So with Linus' team getting a cut, I speculate that they will sell it for like $50-$70.

If anyone on the LTT staff reads this, please make sure the LTT handle is as high quality and durable as the original MegaPro handle.

And please make it very recognizable, like all bright orange to make the higher cost worth it.

This post has been crossposted to the LinusTechTips subreddit

Also maybe there is an award for conducting this big brain investigation? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Maybe a free LTT screwdriver, slide in my dms LTT staff

11 minutes ago, Benji said:

I think that, if it is actually authentic and got leaked before it should have been publicly discussed, he will most certainly NOT be pleased or particularly willing to talk about this.

Nah, I mean Linus even used the prototype screwdriver on several streams now so I don't think it's super classified. I think they just didn't want to tell their millions of viewers about a product that's not out yet.

But for the forums it's fun to speculate and piece together all the puzzles that Linus has hinted at since June. Might as well give feedback since I've heard about the screwdrivers. It would suck if the rebranding compromised on the grip or long-term durability of the MegaPro.

Hang on a minute, are you saying you've compiled a list of times Linus said he was going to make a screwdriver, and want him to give you a screwdriver for said effort?  I hope he gives you one, if for no other reason other than effort should be rewarded. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Hang on a minute, are you saying you've compiled a list of times Linus said he was going to make a screwdriver, and want him to give you a screwdriver for said effort?  I hope he gives you one, if for no other reason other than effort should be rewarded. 

HAHa thanks, hope he does. When they kept hinting at the "big launch" during the WAN Show, I started hunting through all the past streams because I knew Linus had mentioned his "mysterious" thing there. Identifying the MegaPro took some time but not too long, I knew Linus wouldn't settle for anything but a high quality ratcheting mechanism.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post though!

I’ve been wondering what the new product will be since they said they were doing a 100k marketing campaign, really wasn’t expecting it to be the screwdriver. I’m definitely excited though.

@AGooseChaser how long did it take you do this? You get mad respect for figuring it out and even providing the links.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

32 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I’ve been wondering what the new product will be since they said they were doing a 100k marketing campaign, really wasn’t expecting it to be the screwdriver. I’m definitely excited though.

@AGooseChaser how long did it take you do this? You get mad respect for figuring it out and even providing the links.

Too many hours to be proud of lol, to dig up all the hints and timestamps throughout the videos and format them into posts. I'm glad you found it as interesting as I did, I appreciate the comment bro.

I'm just as excited as you. I think Linus' marketing plan of having a bunch of ad placements in other YouTubers' videos is going to be a whole next level, it'll definitely surpass all of their other merch in popularity.

I bet they're gonna come in the popular colors Black & Orange, Navi Green, Black & Gold, Black & White, Stealth and Pink. But wait it's a Screwdriver, so it won't fit into the ltt stealth Hoodie. Huh, working on a new Hoodie and Swacket with special Screwdriver pocket confirmed. 

https://www.lttstore.com/ *intensifies* 

No but seriously I want one in Pink to perfectly go together with my Pink 40 oz Water Bottle.

#Exposed #Confirmed #LinusDroppedtheTechTip #LoveYouLinus #NoHomo #https://www.lttstore.com/ #UnofficialBrandAmbassadorAccordingTo @Tech_Dreamer 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Screwdriver and a 600ml 12am Green water bottle, and I'm sold.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The screwdriver also makes an appearance in today’s video.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Someone on the other thread mentioned the steep pricing. I'd say it's the top concern. Since they're rebranding here, the price is probably gonna be tough to justify.

The MegaPro Automotive that they're rebranding retails for $40 MSRP. $40 is already way more than any normal person would spend on a screwdriver.

Since LTT needs to profit, lets say they sell it at $60. I'd say $60 is a conservative estimate. Like we're talking about LTT, they sell a single hoodie for $60.

Don't forget taxes and shipping, that LTT screwdriver is now over $70 for us.

It would cost more than the best ratcheting screwdrivers from the most overpriced, 'gucci' tool brands like PB Swiss or Snap-On. Not to mention you could just buy the same MegaPro Automotive for $33 on Amazon with free shipping. And the handle would actually be industry-grade and built in Canada, not rebranded by the off-shore company that does LTT's merch.

It's kind of disappointing but that's how rebranding markup works. If I'm gonna drop $70 on a screwdriver, might as well get a PB Swiss.

Anyways, still excited to see how they do this. Idea is good, but we'll see how much the LTT brand name hits it.

6 minutes ago, AGooseChaser said:

The MegaPro Automotive that they're rebranding retails for $40 MSRP. $40 is already way more than any normal person would spend on a screwdriver.

I’m hoping it is more of a partnership than a rebranding. Add the ltt logo and colors and sell it for the same price (or minimally more). Then the company gives LMG a portion of the sales. I think this is what they did for the ltt noctua fans.

But assuming they buy it from the manufacturer and rebrand it. By buying in bulk, they would pay way less per screwdriver than we would for the same one and then it costs them a little bit to make the changes. They then can sell it for only slightly more than a non ltt version. They can reasonably expect fans to pay a couple bucks more for that than a standard screwdriver that is not redone.

However, based on Linus’ past comments about the pricing of their merchandise, I’m expecting the pricing to be as low as possible while still being profitable for LMG.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 hour ago, zeusthemoose said:

I’m hoping it is more of a partnership than a rebranding. Add the ltt logo and colors and sell it for the same price (or minimally more). Then the company gives LMG a portion of the sales. I think this is what they did for the ltt noctua fans.

I you're right that a full partnership is likely. The LMG headquarters is also very close to MegaPro's corporate office in Vancouver. 

Frankly, I wish they would only give the screwdriver a new paint job and LTT logos. It's not that I don't trust LMG, but because an experienced company like MegaPro can ensure a better-made and durable grip than what the LTT merch staff's 3rd-party manufacturing can do.

I know this might not be a popular opinion, but there's nothing wrong with the original grip, I don't know why they're changing it. Changing it will just compromise on the quality.

A orange LTT skin on the screwdriver would still be epic. They would just have to organize a different painting scheme, in the MegaPro factory or through a 3rd party painting process.

But unfortunately it seems like that's not the case, since Linus has been testing his own 3D printed handle designs.

Huh, I guess a nice rachet w/ bits in handle would be quite nice.

Though I've already found one with a very tight, granular and smooth rachet for around $25, with a spring-loaded bit holder (w/ 8 S2 steel bits), black andodised extention, and a matte black polyamide (PA6-GF35) handle. If the LTT screwdriver is $70 I probably wouldn't be able to justify the purchase, since unlike my LTT underwear or water bottle, I don't really use a screwdriver that often.

I can't wait for the LTT socks and sandals though, whenever those come through.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

*hates Branded items like Beats headphones and Jordan shoes*

*ponders spending money for an LTT screw driver* Birthday present/Christmas gift perhaps???

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 8/9/2020 at 12:47 AM, zeusthemoose said:

If it's a 100k marketing campaign I would speculate that it's more than just a screwdriver.

On a somewhat related note, I'm hoping LMG/LTT will release an actual computer thing again like what they did with those Noctua fans a while back. The closest they've come other than that is just some cable-ties. A case would be really awesome, but even another round of fans or something would be amazing.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

15 hours ago, iBabySlapper said:

I can't wait for the LTT socks and sandals though, whenever those come through.

That would be epic. I hope they do it one day. Even just LTT socks would be cool.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:30 PM, AGooseChaser said:

legendary orange screwdriver (Snap-On Ratcheting)

snap on has life time warranty so why doesn't he get to snap on

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

15 minutes ago, sub68 said:

snap on has life time warranty so why doesn't he get to snap on

Motivation to design his own screwdriver.  and you know profit

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

5 hours ago, Computernaut said:

Even just LTT socks would be cool.

IIRC, they have been working on that for a while but are unable to find someone who can make quality socks so they havent done it yet.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

If it is like the one we have seen recently (Blue and Red) I would definitely get one (or more). Especially if it comes in orange and black & gold that would be two sales right there. I think what makes it more likely that it is a proto-type is that it looks 3D printed in the videos that I have seen it in.

• 1 month later...

Would be nice if it comes with all the bits I need for my electronics&electrical class.

(Flat 1/8 & 1/4, Phillips 1 & 2, Square 1 & 2)

But if it's really just a rebrand Megapro, it likely only will have like, half of those + all the torx.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

• 2 months later...

My Mastercrap ratchet screwdriver broke a while back and I'm patiently waiting for this one to come out, I hope there will be a lifetime warranty like Snap-on.