EXPOSED Master Thread: LTT Store is going to release their own legendary screwdriver, possibly in partnership with MegaPro

Reviving this old thread to say that Linus has finally began to publicly announce the LTT screwdriver in today's livestream (timestamp). It's kind of nuts to believe that I made this thread ten months ago putting together all his hints of the screwdriver in the making. But I think it came a long very nicely and I'm really excited to see its eventual release.

For anyone that followed the original post, it seems to be based on the same MegaPro Automotive that I identified in the original thread, only more heavily modified with their own handle molding, custom shank, and non-standard bits. I can't say that I'm not disappointed to see they've went with no rubber grip and proprietary bits, even if it means slightly more magnetism. I know for people like myself, it'll probably be tough to justify a higher LTT-branded price than just buying something like the original MegaPro Automative that's only $32, uses 12 standard sized bits, and uses a tried and tested rubber grip. It'll probably still sell well though, since it's also about the brand recognition. Interested in hearing any of your guys thoughts on it.

Huge props for @LinusTech and the LTT team working on this product for probably well over a year now. It really shows how much effort they put into their merch and making quality products.

18 hours ago, AGooseChaser said:

Reviving this old thread to say that Linus has finally began to publicly announce the LTT screwdriver in today's livestream (timestamp). It's kind of nuts to believe that I made this thread ten months ago putting together all his hints of the screwdriver in the making. But I think it came a long very nicely and I'm really excited to see its eventual release.

For anyone that followed the original post, it seems to be based on the same MegaPro Automotive that I identified in the original thread, only more heavily modified with their own handle molding, custom shank, and non-standard bits. I can't say that I'm not disappointed to see they've went with no rubber grip and proprietary bits, even if it means slightly more magnetism. I know for people like myself, it'll probably be tough to justify a higher LTT-branded price than just buying something like the original MegaPro Automative that's only $32, uses 12 standard sized bits, and uses a tried and tested rubber grip. It'll probably still sell well though, since it's also about the brand recognition. Interested in hearing any of your guys thoughts on it.

Huge props for @LinusTech and the LTT team working on this product for probably well over a year now. It really shows how much effort they put into their merch and making quality products.

Hey thanks for your feedback. I understand your disappointments, but we made those trade-offs knowing very well what the downsides would be. 

The hand feel of our driver vs the MegaPro Automotive Driver (which we could have easily rebranded) is WORLDS better. It's extremely comfortable and we couldn't have kept the  low profile, ergonomic shape if we'd added a rubberized texture or stuck with full-sized bits. MegaPro's internal bit-holder (which we love) is ENORMOUS and difficult to work around.

In daily use so far the increased magnetism is a game-changer for keeping the bit in the screwdriver while you're working and we're going to make additional bits available at a very reasonable price. We are hoping it'll be a non-issue for most people. Remember the worst case scenario is grinding down a standard-sized bit if you're handy.

It's a real PITA that overseas shipping makes LTT merch prohibitively expensive for anyone not in the Continental US or Canada. Hopefully LMG gets better rates soon from their shippers so more fans can get their desired merch. Which would lower the rates even further, making it even more affordable for us Europeans at all, and so the circle goes 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

On 8/10/2020 at 8:54 AM, TVwazhere said:

*hates Branded items like Beats headphones and Jordan shoes*

*ponders spending money for an LTT screw driver* Birthday present/Christmas gift perhaps???

Ended up with an iFixIt kit for now, though this screw driver may be better for "Road fix's / builds" when I'm traveling. 

71jYRZzKipL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

It's extremely comfortable and we couldn't have kept the  low profile, ergonomic shape if we'd added a rubberized texture or stuck with full-sized bits.

This sounds like a worthwhile tradeoff then. A much more comfortable shape may prove to be worth more than the rubber grip and full sized bits.

It sounds like you guys have put a lot of work and testing into this so this so it'll be good to trust your judgement.

I assume it'll only be a matter of time until you show it off in the videos and say LTTStore.com! Best of luck.

I'm so hyped. Been waiting for this since i first saw linus use his legendary screw driver. I'm really curious how the pricing will be. (FYI: I'm gonna buy one anyway 😉 )

LTT just take my money, i have been trying to find screwdriver for me for the last 2-3 days and this thread is a god send! it gives me hope.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think Linus should get his fixed by snap on.

Screenshot_20210620-004454.png.0afe68ea6737298afd469cefcfd9caba.png

I know that it says non repairable.

But snap on Is known to fix those things.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

13 hours ago, sub68 said:

I still think Linus should get his fixed by snap on.

Screenshot_20210620-004454.png.0afe68ea6737298afd469cefcfd9caba.png

I know that it says non repairable.

But snap on Is known to fix those things.

I believe in this context, non-repairable just means if they can't repair it, they'll exchange it for a new one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I believe in this context, non-repairable just means if they can't repair it, they'll exchange it for a new one.

That makes sense.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

snap on just ain't what it used to be either

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, sub68 said:

That makes sense.

99% sure Linus has said in the past that his OG orange Snap On holds sentimental value and that's why he's never replaced it for a new one 😇

The fancy new LTT driver will let him use a decent screwdriver without getting rid of their Snap On entirely (I think it was a gift from Yvonne)

I really hope this comes out soon. The dewalt screwdriver 

https://www.dewalt.com/products/hand-tools/screwdrivers-and-hex-keys/ratcheting-screwdriver/dwht69233 

I had been using literally fell to pieces when I dropped it a week ago and I need a new one and am trying to hold out for this. 

8 hours ago, Vorsayo said:

I really hope this comes out soon. The dewalt screwdriver 

https://www.dewalt.com/products/hand-tools/screwdrivers-and-hex-keys/ratcheting-screwdriver/dwht69233

I had been using literally fell to pieces when I dropped it a week ago and I need a new one and am trying to hold out for this. 

It's out.  Go to your local Home Depot.  Aisle 14 Bay 011

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

• 4 weeks later...

LTT loves to do things in house and grow their business to be very independent so I wouldn't be surprised if they partner with MegaPro for the initial launch, they might branch off and go to some offshore company and still some how get high quality parts. I mean they did it with their merch, in the beginning they used a third party company but went more independent and now talks to the manufactures themselves. Just look out for when Linus disappears for a while and goes to china to check out some factories for the screwdriver.

18 hours ago, BadGuyNick said:

LTT loves to do things in house and grow their business to be very independent so I wouldn't be surprised if they partner with MegaPro for the initial launch, they might branch off and go to some offshore company and still some how get high quality parts. I mean they did it with their merch, in the beginning they used a third party company but went more independent and now talks to the manufactures themselves. Just look out for when Linus disappears for a while and goes to china to check out some factories for the screwdriver.

It's highly unlikely that they could just use MegaPro for the "initial launch" and then use whatever manufacturer their want afterwards.

MegaPro almost certainly owns most of the intellectual property involved in the design, particularly if it's just a modified design of one of their standard parts.

This is likely a licensing deal of some sort. LMG might own some of the IP but I doubt they own the rights to the whole design, unless they designed it totally from scratch, and MegaPro tooled entirely new fab designs just for this one line of screwdriver (very unlikely).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, LinusTech said:

Hey thanks for your feedback. I understand your disappointments, but we made those trade-offs knowing very well what the downsides would be. 

The hand feel of our driver vs the MegaPro Automotive Driver (which we could have easily rebranded) is WORLDS better. It's extremely comfortable and we couldn't have kept the  low profile, ergonomic shape if we'd added a rubberized texture or stuck with full-sized bits. MegaPro's internal bit-holder (which we love) is ENORMOUS and difficult to work around.

In daily use so far the increased magnetism is a game-changer for keeping the bit in the screwdriver while you're working and we're going to make additional bits available at a very reasonable price. We are hoping it'll be a non-issue for most people. Remember the worst case scenario is grinding down a standard-sized bit if you're handy.

I love that you're speaking to this, I've been waiting for the LTT screwdriver for the better part of a year now. I have a similar snap-on as you, and I've been waiting for yours to come out so I could justify replacing it (its about 10+ years old now). Having said that, when you say "non-standard bits" do you mean length or diameter? I have a workshop full of tools and bits that all use a standard size 6.35mm ( 1/4 inch in Freedom Units).... as much as I've waited so long for this, knowing that it won't work with any of my other bits is a HUGE deal breaker. 

I hope its an awesome seller for you guys, but it feels like buying a cellphone from 2006 and trying to find a charger for it. 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:04 AM, dalekphalm said:

It's highly unlikely that they could just use MegaPro for the "initial launch" and then use whatever manufacturer their want afterwards.

MegaPro almost certainly owns most of the intellectual property involved in the design, particularly if it's just a modified design of one of their standard parts.

This is likely a licensing deal of some sort. LMG might own some of the IP but I doubt they own the rights to the whole design, unless they designed it totally from scratch, and MegaPro tooled entirely new fab designs just for this one line of screwdriver (very unlikely).

Don't worry. Your other 1/4" bits will work in the shaft but won't fit 12 into the handle. Ours are 'shorties'. Standard ones will only fit 6.

Having them short increases their magnetic pull making it easier to grab screws and stay in the shaft. It also helped us fit the holder mechanism into a much more ergonomic handle than megapros other designs. 

Worst case scenario you could just grind off a random bit and chuck it in there. 

14 hours ago, lostboy said:

I love that you're speaking to this, I've been waiting for the LTT screwdriver for the better part of a year now. I have a similar snap-on as you, and I've been waiting for yours to come out so I could justify replacing it (its about 10+ years old now). Having said that, when you say "non-standard bits" do you mean length or diameter? I have a workshop full of tools and bits that all use a standard size 6.35mm ( 1/4 inch in Freedom Units).... as much as I've waited so long for this, knowing that it won't work with any of my other bits is a HUGE deal breaker. 

I hope its an awesome seller for you guys, but it feels like buying a cellphone from 2006 and trying to find a charger for it. 

I'm just gonna assume Linus misquoted me since his reply seems to be perfect to your post 😛

10 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Don't worry. Your other 1/4" bits will work in the shaft but won't fit 12 into the handle. Ours are 'shorties'. Standard ones will only fit 6.

Having them short increases their magnetic pull making it easier to grab screws and stay in the shaft. It also helped us fit the holder mechanism into a much more ergonomic handle than megapros other designs. 

Worst case scenario you could just grind off a random bit and chuck it in there. 

On 11/10/2021 at 4:01 AM, LinusTech said:

I can’t wait to order one of these. I love my IFIXIT screwdrivers I have the Mahi and Mako drivers and they are great but I really prefer a ratcheting screw driver, the last one I bought was from dewalt and it was crap, didn’t have many teeth and quickly developed a lot of play and was striping the gears. Want something good that will last, has a good selection of common bits, and doesn’t require me to pull out my iFixit kits to do simple things.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:01 AM, LinusTech said:

Thanks for clearing that up!! Can't wait to see the finished product now. Nice Party shirt BTW. Make more of those. Charge more for them. Make some tall sizes. I pay 60+ a shirt for the same shirt at a normal mess apparel store, and these shirts are perfect for my office job