Is it Normal for PSUs to run hot and smell weird?

ThePUNisher96

I just upgraded to an Corsair RM 750 and it's tended to run quite hot to the touch and also have an almost burnt electronic-type smell to it when it's on.

Is this normal for PSUs? I did open a support ticket with Corsair to see if maybe I could get a replacement unit

4 minutes ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

Is this normal for PSUs?

Not normal. Stop using that right away. Get a replacement and don't try to DIY fix it

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

6 minutes ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

I just upgraded to an Corsair RM 750 and it's tended to run quite hot to the touch and also have an almost burnt electronic-type smell to it when it's on.

Is this normal for PSUs? I did open a support ticket with Corsair to see if maybe I could get a replacement unit

Has the fan on your psu enough air? or is it just suffocating? 

Just now, c3dric69 said:

Has the fan on your psu enough air? or is it just suffocating? 

There is a vent in the bottom of the case, which is a Fractal Design Focus G and the PSU fan is facing the bottom of the case

Just now, ThePUNisher96 said:

There is a vent in the bottom of the case, which is a Fractal Design Focus G and the PSU fan is facing the bottom of the case

Oops; that sucks; does the fan from your psu spin? 

3 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Not normal. Stop using that right away. Get a replacement and don't try to DIY fix it

It doesn't seem to affect normal operation of the computer, though, and all the other parts seem to be fine, and I'd rather not unwire this and reinstall the non-modular one I have

I would instantly replace this one with a new one when I get that one, though

If it gets really hot then RMA.

Though new PSU's tend to smell bad for a while.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, c3dric69 said:

I think it does? The PSU does make noise like a fan spinning

3 minutes ago, c3dric69 said:

Should I have mounted the PSU so the fan faces up?

1 minute ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

IdK; SORRIE 😞 

When the PSU is in the bottom (of the case) I'd put it fan-side up, as putting the fan to the floor might result in overheating.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 minutes ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

If there are vents/airflow holes at the bottom on the case (especially great if there's an extra airfilter there aswell), it doesn't matter which way you install it. More dust could get in the PSU though, as dust could fall in (that comes in with other intake fans), whereas when facing down, dust can only get in when PSU fan is running.

This is all assuming a standard tower style case.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

12 minutes ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

I assume you didn't put the computer on a carpet or something that might obstruct airflow for the PSU, right?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

11 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I assume you didn't put the computer on a carpet or something that might obstruct airflow for the PSU, right?

It's on a wooden desk

1 hour ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

PSUs may smell only when they are brand new and that is slightly and only for a few minutes

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

"Hot to the touch" means absolutely nothing. A smell coming from a brand new PSU is common, it's just flux. 

So I should just try and wait it out a few days to see if the smell goes away entirely?

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

"Hot to the touch" means absolutely nothing. A smell coming from a brand new PSU is common, it's just flux. 

This.

So I should just try and wait it out a few days to see if the smell goes away entirely?

I'd say for at least a week.

I still would suggest you replace it immediately. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Go straight to an RMA.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?

9 hours ago, seon123 said:

I should say that it definitely feels more than just a little hot when the PC is under load

I should say that it definitely feels more than just a little hot when the PC is under load

The RM is rated to run with continuous output of it's rated wattage (so 750w for your model) at 50c, or 122F, which would feel hot to the touch as our bodies temperatures are around 98 degrees (37c). Of course, it won't burn you unless the PSU is heated to 71c (which you might already have problems with the PSU well before that point.)

In other words, hot to the touch means nothing when it comes to diagnosing whether a PSU is overheating or not. You would need an IR temperature reader to really tell what temperature your PSU is running at.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

2 hours ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

11 hours ago, seon123 said:

"Hot to the touch" means absolutely nothing

:)

Whatever feels hot to your biological human fingers doesn't necessarily feel hot to an inanimate machine.

Although have had crappy old PSUs fail that are overheating and are capable of burning you hot.

Also smells can be off gassing from materials, same as new thing smell.