[Hexus] Windows XP will continue to get security updates in China

KakaoDj

Source

Why don't you die already, XP?  <_<

Microsoft confirmed Sunday that it is making an exception to the end of extended support for Windows XP in China. PC World reports that Microsoft is partnering with several Chinese internet firms to provide updates and support for the aging OS in that country – past the 8th April deadline. Meanwhile there has been speculation that Microsoft is prepping a version of Windows 8.1 that will be distributed for free. The 'Windows 8.1 with Bing' OS could be used to make 'Bingbooks' at Chomebook rivalling prices suggests The Inq.

China contains lots of PCs with Windows XP on them. It is apparently widely pirated and installed upon nearly 60 per cent of the systems which connect to the internet in China. As well as the piracy problem there is a big security problem though, as 70 per cent of the computers sporting Windows XP haven't ever patched their systems with Windows Update in the past 13 years, according to Microsoft.

f87bce71-31ea-4eb2-9fef-c344228041e2.jpg

This just shows that if it aint broke dont fix it lol

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

too afraid to lose its market share to linux

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

XP is the best OS after Windows 7.

I agree, i use it for old games. But it still needs to go away for security reasons.

It should probably go away, but if they haven't updated XP for 13 years, they aren't going to update to windows 8 either, for the same reasons.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Good that it isn't the same here! But I've heard people saying XP is better for games! Even a IT professional! Is it true? Some games don't even support the OS!

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

WindowZ XP BEZT!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

too afraid to lose its market share to linux

*ahem true *ahem

i'm a potato

Dump that shit and use Linux. God damn, it's like driving a car from 1940. 

Now you see that would be classic. You should've said 1990- that would be trash can.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If they haven't ever installed security patches, why would they start now?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

not every country has access to the latest stuff yo.

If they've pirated it.. I'm pretty sure they have access to it. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

If they've pirated it.. I'm pretty sure they have access to it. 

lol true

not every country has access to the latest stuff yo.

But its china they like make everything!!!!!

This move has virtually nothing to do with Linux and everything to do with image,  MS recognise that china will not be upgrading their OS any time soon and if they want majority of China to keep using their products then they need to meet the market where its at, for china with such a high piracy rate the market is cheap and seeing as most haven't done security updates this indicates that they either have their own security measures or its not major concern for them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.