New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben
On 2/4/2021 at 12:00 AM, Arnau said:

Hey, just created an account to comment on this too so, yes I had same problems of you all people including:
- Windows 10 freezes randomly, more likely watching youtube videos idk why
- still able to move the mouse but new taps, or functions are blocked or gone.

So two solutions:
- My temportal solution was to close CAM after the start up.

- Final solution is to update to last version of CAM beta (4.20.0-b.1). Everything its ok by now, no need to use special profile. 

Hope it helped. 

I had 2 crashes again this week, seems its still not fixed, sorry cause it seems I speaked too early. 

ohhh THANK GOD there is a thread on this, had the issue for months and ended up taking it to a proffesional, he said he fiddled with drivers and startup programs and i can see why its's cam now, I reinstalled it after I got it back cuz I wanted the start up back, and it froze on my first game. Are there any other options? Cuz RGB ya know...

6 hours ago, PickledKatsu said:

ohhh THANK GOD there is a thread on this, had the issue for months and ended up taking it to a proffesional, he said he fiddled with drivers and startup programs and i can see why its's cam now, I reinstalled it after I got it back cuz I wanted the start up back, and it froze on my first game. Are there any other options? Cuz RGB ya know...

https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl This has been referenced and recommended a lot, and for NZXT (Soon to be Corsair too, the latest version started adding support for their lighting nodes) products, it works a charm. Just takes a little bit of reading to learn how it works and you're golden.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, neuroflare said:

Well I spoke a bit too soon it seems.  I had a couple weeks of flawless operation, but I have had freezes twice today within minutes of restarting the computer and turning on CAM.

Did you use the cam beta software?

Since the last version of cam beta seems more stable

Furthermore the NZXT sd reached out to get logfiles, which i gave to them.

With a bit of luck they are finally doing something about this problem or so i hope

On 2/7/2021 at 1:34 AM, Arnau said:

I had 2 crashes again this week, seems its still not fixed, sorry cause it seems I speaked too early. 

ahh too bad i hoped the beta was the solution but guess we have to wait still.

The shutdown cam after boot is still the best option for me 

Could someone give me a quick guide on how to install and use liquidctl for Kraken X62?
It seems to work different than the installation for the X61?
I saw the GitHub guide but I can't figure out how to do it. 

Also: 
To all those who are still using CAM. When the PC freezes again, could you note the exact time and then go to AppData/Roaming/NZXT CAM and look up if there are any entries in the log files?
Support just told me to send them my log files so they can try to reproduce and fix it. But before I do so, I want to produce some more freezes and see for myself if there is something in these files. 

Well. I've just come across exactly the same thing you experienced in the new AmD build with 5600x. It become frozen even when the pc has no heavy processes. 

Disabled CAM and it has been fine for two days now. 

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my new 5800x build with nzxt x53 cooler. Luckily i found this thread because after days of troubleshooting i was running out of ideas...

2 days without CAM software and pc is running smoothly.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:51 AM, Korben said:

So after a weekend of running and testing without NZXT CAM: no freezes. Then, this morning, just to give me a more solid argument, I startet NZXT CAM again and let it run in the system tray. After some time the first freeze occured.

So I am now for 90% sure that NZXT CAM is causing this.

Which is sad, because without the software the temperatures on the displkay are not updated. I will put in a nice GIF and see what NZXT has to offer supportwise, although I fear, unless they got more complaints like this, they won't do anything since the connection between the freezes and CAM is not very obvious.

When I first got my pc. NZXT Cam would actually cause my computer to have a BSOD when I tried to launch it. I resetted my pc to change it to UEFI mode. NZXT really needs to fix its software and also the limited airflow in the H510.

hello i have the same issue but i think its cam nzxt causing it but not 100% sure just a thing i installed it again and 10 mins of installing it my system locked up 

Signed up to just for this - fresh build with just premium components - or so I thought with the cam software being the current suspect for the imminent freezes. 

system:

rog b550 i

5800x

windows 10 pro fresh install

Systems seems crashing so will continue with the usual suspecs, memtest, cpu and gpu stress testing. 

But NZXT not impressed by this !!!

After the last freeze, I sent the log files to the support and got an answer immediately. 

They are aware of the problem and are trying to recreate it at the moment. 
Seems like there is hope of getting the problem solved in the near future. 

There are moments where I am pretty upset about these issues but I have to say, that the people at NZXT that got in touch with me really tried to help me to solve that issue. If that hadn't been the case, I would have bought an AIO from another manufacturer already. 

For the people wondering how to install liquidctl, download the latest version for windows and extract to your folder of choice. (take note of the extraction location)

https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl/releases/download/v1.5.0/liquidctl-1.5.0-bin-windows-x86_64.zip

Then go to your computer settings -> advanced settings -> advanced / environment variables

https://ibb.co/ZXgCN0b

System Variables -> Path (double click) and select New (now you add the folder location where liquidctl is located)

https://ibb.co/30fHPtc

https://ibb.co/NpsrVjt

All you need to do now is create a Notepad file and save it as .bat

Inside you put your configurations, mine below with a brief explanation for the kraken X62.

Every supported device can be found here, simply click on your model and all the parameters are going to be listed.

https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl#supported-devices

FAN SPEED should be set up in pairs (20 is liquid temp. in celsius, 30 is fan speed % / 30 is liquid temp, 50 fan speed and so on)

liquidctl set pump speed 20 30 30 50 34 80 40 90 50 100
                         ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^
                        pairs of temperature (°C) -> duty (%)

PUMP SPEED (same first liquid temperature then pump speed)

RING COLOR (see link at the end of page for other rgb modes, just change tai-chi and hex color to your choice)

liquidctl set fan speed  30 55  33 65  34 70  35 80  36 90  37 100
liquidctl set pump speed 30 70  33 75  34 85  35 100
liquidctl set ring color tai-chi 274e7f FD6000
liquidctl set logo color fixed 274e7f

Now simply add your .bat file to Windows Startup or Create a Scheduled Task

It can also be started manually everytime you boot your pc by double clicking the .bat file.

Voila, your free to ditch NZXT CAM forever while still maintaining pump, fan and rgb control.

------------------------

ALL THE RGB MODES

https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl/blob/master/docs/kraken-x2-m2-guide.md

Interesting to see more people with this issue recently, since I first saw this post last month. I still have the errors, but to get around it I let CAM load on startup which loads the fan & pump curves and the RGB configuration. Then I immediately exit it in the system tray and I get no error at all after that. If I forget to do this step you can guarantee the lock will happen eventually, usually a few hours after starting the PC.

Also, I've also noticed some programmes will just crash to desktop on start up if CAM is open. Monster Hunter World being one example, will not get past the splash screens.

I contacted NZXT a few weeks ago and was told they are looking into it. Pretty frustrating as I really like the NZXT products and have gone all in with a H710, Kraken X63 and the fan/rgb hub (3 RGB fans and 2 strips).

For reference I have a 5800x, x570 Strix E-Gaming and an RTX 3080. I built this on 2 January, this CAM issue has been persistent since day one and was a huge pain to diagnose.

Just created an account to add to the list of people who have the same issue.

Bought a Kraken X63 in replacement of my X62 a few weeks ago, and changed my 9600k to a 5600X. Experienced the first freeze a few hours after first POST, became apparent that is was due to CAM after it reported that it couldn't communicate with my X63 (while it still could?). No BSOD, just "simply" freeze your computer (sometimes you might be able to mouve your mouse, and click/open a few windows, but in the end, windows still freezes completely) 

NZXT CAM is making windows hang up on you at any time, so don't use if for as long as it's not fixed.

Well, I installed CAM beta on Feb 3 and no issues since (13 days 🙂 ) I made sure to turn off the "Game Hooking" option in Settings | General, as I verified that was the source of the horrible memory leak I was seeing.  I don't need that feature, I'm not turning it back on, but I suppose it's possible that late versions have fixed this.  

Add me to the list. Built my PC in December, had a couple of unexplained crashes in January (same freezing as reported, including ability to move the mouse/access start menu but nothing else). Started happening at least once daily after I downloaded the latest windows 10 update. Since finding this thread and disabling CAM, I have not seen the issue again. It's only been two days since then, but given the similarity in symptoms I'm remaining optimistic. 

I downloaded CAM because I liked having the mini-display on my desktop while surfing the internet...I couldn't really find anything else offering similar functionality that had the clean design of the mini-display. Shame about this bug, it will probably put me off of NZXT products permanently even if they do fix it. 

On 2/7/2021 at 12:35 AM, chilipepper16 said:

I have this problem with my fairly new pc too!

easy fix tho. deinstall it. and don't buy from this horrible company anymore. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Imannudein said:

There's a new version of CAM at 4.20 updated yesterday. Any feedback on this? 

I'll try today see if I get a freeze with it open and will report back.

7 hours ago, Robioto said:

I'll try today see if I get a freeze with it open and will report back.

I have deleted every prior file, installed the new software. The "update" says it has fixed all the problems that I was having. I had the software running, started playing something simple like, star wars fallen jedi, immediate freeze, had to hard reset, tried it with black ops cold war, immediate freeze, had to hard reset. So far, this new software update has fixed nothing. I am running MSI B550 Gaming Plus, Ryzen 7 3700x, Radeon 6800, Corsair Fans with iCue, razer keyboard and the NZXT Z63 280mm AIO. Hopefully this helps other people. *update* can play games, wont load out to absolute full screen, but as soon as you close the application, thats when it freezes. 

As so many others have done, I've also created an account just to post here. I've had my system up and running since Aug 2017 and hadn't had any issues:

RYZEN 7 1800x
MSI ProCarbon x370 (have not updated the BIOS as I haven't had any issues to push me to do so)

NZXT X62 Rev 2

However, back at the end of November, I ended up having to do a full reinstall of Windows, and wound up on Win 10 Version 20H2 (prior to that, I assume I was on 1909 as I always kept updates going...so it would have been whatever came right before 20H2). That's when the same completely rando system freezes started happening. I could be idling only playing Spotify and it would freeze with looped audio. Or it could be in the middle of the night completely idle. Or it could be while running a scheduled backup. There was no consistency. I could go over a week, or one a day, or sometimes twice a day. No events pop in the Reliability tracker, short of having to do a hard reset because I can't get the system to shut down or reboot any other way. The only telltale sign I know it's going to freeze is that shortly before I get locked out, the system fans reset to the base rainbow RGB scroll and speed. I'll check on the system in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom and peek in and if I see that unicorn-poop colored lighting I shake my head and know right off what happened. 

My system is set up so that I need CAM to control the pump, but my case fans are Corsair HD's...so I also need iCUE. Even the X62's fans were swapped out for the Corsair fans (aesthetics)...so it's iCUE that is controlling the fans over the radiator. I can't stop using either program. If I had known there would be such issue, I would have just gone with a Corsair AIO...which is abso-tutely what I will be doing next time. 

Currently, I'm on the newest version of CAM, and the newest version of iCUE. CAM updated a couple days ago...and consequently, I haven't had a freeze in a couple days. Could be coincidence...I'll report back in a few days. One other note, I was also running MSI Afterburner for GPU fans...which I uninstalled a couple days ago. I wasn't sure if there could be a conflict there. 

4 hours ago, jakecar91 said:

I have deleted every prior file, installed the new software. The "update" says it has fixed all the problems that I was having. I had the software running, started playing something simple like, star wars fallen jedi, immediate freeze, had to hard reset, tried it with black ops cold war, immediate freeze, had to hard reset. So far, this new software update has fixed nothing. I am running MSI B550 Gaming Plus, Ryzen 7 3700x, Radeon 6800, Corsair Fans with iCue, razer keyboard and the NZXT Z63 280mm AIO. Hopefully this helps other people. *update* can play games, wont load out to absolute full screen, but as soon as you close the application, thats when it freezes. 

Yep, I got my usual freeze while doing some work about 3 hours into my day. Useless piece of software.

3 hours ago, MelissaGT said:

As so many others have done, I've also created an account just to post here. I've had my system up and running since Aug 2017 and hadn't had any issues:

RYZEN 7 1800x
MSI ProCarbon x370 (have not updated the BIOS as I haven't had any issues to push me to do so)

NZXT X62 Rev 2

However, back at the end of November, I ended up having to do a full reinstall of Windows, and wound up on Win 10 Version 20H2 (prior to that, I assume I was on 1909 as I always kept updates going...so it would have been whatever came right before 20H2). That's when the same completely rando system freezes started happening. I could be idling only playing Spotify and it would freeze with looped audio. Or it could be in the middle of the night completely idle. Or it could be while running a scheduled backup. There was no consistency. I could go over a week, or one a day, or sometimes twice a day. No events pop in the Reliability tracker, short of having to do a hard reset because I can't get the system to shut down or reboot any other way. The only telltale sign I know it's going to freeze is that shortly before I get locked out, the system fans reset to the base rainbow RGB scroll and speed. I'll check on the system in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom and peek in and if I see that unicorn-poop colored lighting I shake my head and know right off what happened. 

My system is set up so that I need CAM to control the pump, but my case fans are Corsair HD's...so I also need iCUE. Even the X62's fans were swapped out for the Corsair fans (aesthetics)...so it's iCUE that is controlling the fans over the radiator. I can't stop using either program. If I had known there would be such issue, I would have just gone with a Corsair AIO...which is abso-tutely what I will be doing next time. 

Currently, I'm on the newest version of CAM, and the newest version of iCUE. CAM updated a couple days ago...and consequently, I haven't had a freeze in a couple days. Could be coincidence...I'll report back in a few days. One other note, I was also running MSI Afterburner for GPU fans...which I uninstalled a couple days ago. I wasn't sure if there could be a conflict there. 

Thats interesting as I also started seeing my issue around december/early january, which is when I think I updated to 20H2

20 hours ago, Imannudein said:

There's a new version of CAM at 4.20 updated yesterday. Any feedback on this? 

3 freezes in one day

Highscore I would say