New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben

I've just logged in for the first time in a long time to post here out of sheer frustration.

I built a new PC a couple of weeks ago and it was doing my head in these random crashes.

I have a 5800x with an Asus Strix x570 motherboard and a X63 Kraken and also the NZXT fan/RGB controller. What is the deal with this software? It causes all sorts of problems. Not only this, when playing Warzone it was completely tanking my framerate. Also Monster Hunter World will crash on launch if this POS software is open. How have they not fixed this? NZXT is supposed to be a premium brand (I love their cases BTW).

Anyway, really frustrated and extremely disappointed that this issue has been happening for months with no fix from NZXT.

Absolutely fine when CAM is not running.

I've been having the same problem here as well. I built my PC before the Windows 2004 was out and was having no problems until I updated to it. It seems to me that the cam software seems to have stability issues with windows 2004

On 1/15/2021 at 3:49 AM, gssonda said:

Let me tell you beforehand that this options doesnt change much, lockups are still going to happen.. I've tried disabling this option too. The only solution so far is uninstalling NZXT Cam. I strongly consider having a look into liquidctl ... Almost a month since my post and NOT A SINGLE PC FREEZE SINCE

Ayup, locked up again today.  Argh. I've changed the CAM settings to close completely (not to tray) when I shut it down.  Hopefully these lockups, which seem to occur every 2 or 3 days, go away.  

On 1/16/2021 at 1:32 AM, mangokr said:

The temporal solution right now is run at start up (to ramp up the pump speed to the profile you set) and close the program.

If the CAM software is not running, does the pump speed still change with processor temperature?  

On 7/17/2020 at 3:31 AM, Korben said:

Hi there,

I need some help here. I have build a new computer (partlist at the bottom), so far, so good. It runs very good, performance is ok. But after a while (30-120min) of using it, Windows start to behave strange. Here the symptoms:
- Windows kind of freezes but I can still move the mouse, move windows around, close apps (but the closed apps icons stay in the taskbar).
- Youtube videos stop playing.
- I can open Taskmanager, but not do anything with it
- I can't logoff or shutdown, allways have to use the power button to hard-shutdown

What I tried:
- run some benchmarks, to make sure it's not the hardware, at least not in an obvious way: Blender, Prime95, 3D Mark (Timespy), Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- I run a memory test (the one from Windows)
- I suspected WiFi problems and switched to ethernet
- I suspected iSCSI, switched it off
- I susepcted NZXT CAM, uninstalled it
- I ran a Windows repair
- I reinstalled Windows completely

...nothing really helped so far, currently testing with the updated driver versions: (lates I could find, except AMD):
nivida: 451.67
Intel WiFi: 21.90.2.1
Intel Bluetooth: 21.90.0.4
Realtek NIC: 10.039.0212.2020
AMD Chipset: 2.04.28.626*
* confusing thing with the AMD chipset driver: AMD's latest driver version for B550 is 2.04.28.626. MSI offers a driver for this board with the version 2.05.04.352. I am now trying the AMD version. First I had the MSI Version.

I try to keep an eye on temperatures, but they look good (CPU below 50°C, GPU below 50°C). It doesn't happen during workload (I didn't start playing games yet, would be to frustrating with this issue), just regular working, browsing, Youtube.

Additional notes:

- no overclocking, only XMP Profile for RAM.

Any other ideas?

If nothing helps I will try to run Linux for a while to see if it is hardware or software related...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT KRAKEN Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Intel 760p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (OS)
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Data)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 400 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (x64) 2004
Case: NZXT H210 Red

Hello, same thing happened to me. Thought it was my graphics card/driver at first. Recently installed NZXT cam and it causes my pc to freeze. Since I saw your post, I uninstalled the NZXT and I haven't experienced any freeze yet. Hoping it's the real cause. Thanks for this post man!

I'm also a user of NZXT CAM but those freezes only occur when I'm streaming video (i.e. in a Skype video call, watching a livestream). The sound continues to play, video freezes, task manager doesn't update and spikes at 100% GPU. Shutting down can't be done through Windows so only a hard reboot manages to shut it down. This doesn't happen when I'm gaming though. 

Can anyone confirm they're also experiencing the same issue and after completely closing NZXT CAM it no longer occurs?

9 hours ago, Hidduh said:

I'm also a user of NZXT CAM but those freezes only occur when I'm streaming video (i.e. in a Skype video call, watching a livestream). The sound continues to play, video freezes, task manager doesn't update and spikes at 100% GPU. Shutting down can't be done through Windows so only a hard reboot manages to shut it down. This doesn't happen when I'm gaming though. 

Can anyone confirm they're also experiencing the same issue and after completely closing NZXT CAM it no longer occurs?

Yeap, that pretty much sums the issue. As with many people, I gave up on CAM, and am using the liquidctl app.

Less customization, but at least the pc doesn't crash anymore

22 minutes ago, DreadnoughtPT said:

Yeap, that pretty much sums the issue. As with many people, I gave up on CAM, and am using the liquidctl app.

Less customization, but at least the pc doesn't crash anymore

Is it easy to setup and configure?

I've messaged NZXT kicking right off after I lost quite a bit of work this morning due to a crash caused by CAM, not expecting anything constructive back, but I will post when they get back to me.

12 hours ago, Robioto said:

Is it easy to setup and configure?

I've messaged NZXT kicking right off after I lost quite a bit of work this morning due to a crash caused by CAM, not expecting anything constructive back, but I will post when they get back to me.

It's easy to set up and configure, the only thing you really need is a bit of brain power to understand the initial setup. I have it run once at startup to set my Fan & Pump speeds, RGB lighting, and it just works until my PC turns off. 

On 1/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, passedpawn said:

If the CAM software is not running, does the pump speed still change with processor temperature?  

Yes it does. You have to open once on every turn on of your PC then close it.

2 hours ago, mangokr said:

Yes it does. You have to open once on every turn on of your PC then close it.

Excellent.  I have had the settings set as follows and no problem with memory usage or lockups for the last week.   Not happy about the bad software, but ecstatic I found this thread.  Thanks to all!!!

image.png.ca297009edbbb658122a3194d16f5949.png

So after a lot of suggestions from "ma boi" Jonathan at NZXT who really seemed to be dedicated to help me, he apparently ran out of ideas and another NZXT helpdesk employee answered my email, asking what programs I run in the background. Unfortunately, he hasn't replied to my answer for nearly 3 weeks now. Guess I won't hear anything else from helpdesk. 

How do you set up RGB lighting? 

Doesn't CAM still freeze the PC when running in the background?

On 1/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, passedpawn said:

Excellent.  I have had the settings set as follows and no problem with memory usage or lockups for the last week.   Not happy about the bad software, but ecstatic I found this thread.  Thanks to all!!!

image.png.ca297009edbbb658122a3194d16f5949.png

This isn't true in my experience. Pump speed stays static at whatever CAM set it to when it was last open.

Just signed up to tell you guys my solution.

My setup is:

CPU: Ryzen ryzen 9 5950x

Mobo: asus rog crosshair viii dark hero

CPU cooler: kraken z73

Had the same issue as you all.

My solution was the "fixed" profile in the beta version of the cam software.

That's it. Nothing more. Everything works now as it supposed to.

Once you deinstalled the cam software go to their official website https://www.nzxt.com/camapp

and scroll down to the very bottom to "Become a beta tester"

Download the betaversion and install it.

As Profile choose fixed.

That worked for me after a whole month of pure suffering.

If you dont find the  "fixed" Profile check in the regular version of the software if its available already.

I really hope this will help you!

Cheerz

On 2/1/2021 at 6:39 AM, trackmaster10 said:

My setup is:

Once you deinstalled the cam software go to their official website https://www.nzxt.com/camapp

As Profile choose fixed.

If you dont find the  "fixed" Profile check in the regular version of the software if its available already.

Cheerz

Could you elaborate on the whole profile fixed thing? I only have Profile Sync with no Fixed option

2 hours ago, Generic626 said:

Could you elaborate on the whole profile fixed thing? I only have Profile Sync with no Fixed option

According to the above post, you'd need to install the beta version of CAM. 

43 minutes ago, Imannudein said:

According to the above post, you'd need to install the beta version of CAM. 

Yeah, I've got that part done, just wondering the fixed portion of the post

On 2/1/2021 at 6:39 AM, trackmaster10 said:

My setup is:

As Profile choose fixed.

Cheerz

Gotta report that this solution does not work for me.
Crashed after a merely 3 hours.

well this morning i saw a new version of the cam beta appearing.

and i just checked it has the fixed option

image.png.b6dca92b3c2530dea5f9c3341cd3fd8e.png

I will start testing soon and see if the fixed profile is working.

but its the fixed profile in the cooling section.

I wasnt able to find a fixed profile in the active profile

I've had the same problem since a reformat in September (did not have the problem before this) and submitting a ticket never really got me anywhere with NZXT either.  I've been on the beta for a while and the last update stopped the crashing for me and I've been using custom profiles the whole time.

Hey, just created an account to comment on this too so, yes I had same problems of you all people including:
- Windows 10 freezes randomly, more likely watching youtube videos idk why
- still able to move the mouse but new taps, or functions are blocked or gone.

So two solutions:
- My temportal solution was to close CAM after the start up.

- Final solution is to update to last version of CAM beta (4.20.0-b.1). Everything its ok by now, no need to use special profile. 

Hope it helped. 

OMG.... I can't believe I found this. I'm also on AMD - 2600x + NZXT X62.

Had this ongoing problem since rougly AUG/SEPT 2020. I've changed almost all my hardware - 2 NVMEs, motherboard, PSU, case even. Can't believe it might be CAM?!?!

I am going to REVO uninstall it now. Try out liquidctl and see if it's okay... if not I will probably go back to air cooling when my 5600x arrives.

For those wondering I've tried these:

• NZXT USB hub - nope. I actually started to suspect the hub and removed it - freezing remains.
  • Even the weird USB disconnects that one of you said I have the SAME. I thought my keyboard AND bluetooth adapter were broken.

On 2/3/2021 at 6:55 AM, neuroflare said:

I've had the same problem since a reformat in September (did not have the problem before this) and submitting a ticket never really got me anywhere with NZXT either.  I've been on the beta for a while and the last update stopped the crashing for me and I've been using custom profiles the whole time.

Well I spoke a bit too soon it seems.  I had a couple weeks of flawless operation, but I have had freezes twice today within minutes of restarting the computer and turning on CAM.

Hi, same problem here. I created an account just for this thread.

Ryzen 3600x

MSI x570 Meg Ace
z73 kraken

Created an account just so I could comment that I have this problem with my fairly new pc too! I've been having this problem since December so I updated all my drivers, did memory checks, checked all of my wires in my pc, etc. This was so frustrating and I can't thank you enough for pointing out the nzxt software as the problem. I also have an amd build which I guess could also be part of the problem between amd and nzxt. 

Specs: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI b550m pro-vdh wifi, nzxt h510 elite