New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben
17 hours ago, DrKappy said:

Running Windows latest update, still no freeze for 10 days now...running CAM 4.21.0

Are you on 20H2? 

I am still having the same issue

PC specs:

Ryzen 7 2700X CPU - (no OC)
Aorus X470 Motherboard - (no software to controll leds or other stuff)
RTX 2070 Super - (also no softawre installed)

Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB - (ICUE is disabled to run at startup and I do not turn it on)

Kraken X73

CAM (v 4.21.0) runs on startup and never freezes my computer when gaming (game hooking is disabled). I am using custom profile a (little bit modified silent)

21 hours ago, MelissaGT said:

Are you on 20H2? 

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎2/‎26/‎2021
OS build    19042.804
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Hi all-

Thanks for the information and your interest in helping us track down this bug. Unfortunately, our test builds that we've worked on for the last week are still encountering the same issue in our internal tests, so I don't have a build to distribute yet. Our QA team and engineers are continuing to investigate potential fixes. I will let you know as soon as we have a promising build and will post it here. 

Finally some answers. I have the same exact issues and been looking for a while now.

4 hours ago, nzxt_jeff said:

Hi all-

Thanks for the information and your interest in helping us track down this bug. Unfortunately, our test builds that we've worked on for the last week are still encountering the same issue in our internal tests, so I don't have a build to distribute yet. Our QA team and engineers are continuing to investigate potential fixes. I will let you know as soon as we have a promising build and will post it here. 

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully we will have new build soon 🙂

It's been driving me crazy troubleshooting this for weeks. Because it's so random minimal booting then enabling stuff was an impatient task, so I obviously at some point decided CAM wasn't the cause and put it back on the list.  Then when CAM lost all my profiles after an update I stumbled on this while searching for a solution. Still don't have my profiles back but at least I know the freeze cause. It's somewhat easier to live with knowing the cause and that a fix is coming. Thanks for saving my sanity everyone!!!

I've been having the same issues with CAM. Hopefully there's a fix soon.

18 hours ago, nzxt_jeff said:

Hi all-

thanks jeff, we hope to have good news soon, 

Hey everyone, I'm also going to post that I am having an issue with CAM freezing windows, sometimes it happens randomly when closing out of programs and especially happens often when it comes to closing out of a game or out of vr mode on my Quest 2. Is this happening on mostly AMD platforms so far? any one having the same issues with CAM on intel platforms?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal (4x8GB)

Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63
Motherboard: MSi Creation X570 Prestige

Boot Drive: Gen4 PCIe m.2 Seagate FireCuda 520 (500GB)

Storage: 2TB WD Blue 5400RPMs

GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Gaming Black XC3

Case: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic designed by Razer

EDIT: Not sure if this is helpful but I found this in my event viewer logs.

Level: Error  |  Date: 3/16/2021 | Time: 1:10:14 AM  |  Source: Application Error  |  Event ID:1000  |  Task Category: (100)

Faulting application name: NZXT CAM Beta.exe, version: 4.21.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f038496
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, time stamp: 0x0e9c5eae
Exception code: 0xc0000602
Fault offset: 0x000000000010bd5c
Faulting process id: 0x3c84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d71a2b047dfe77
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\NZXT CAM Beta\NZXT CAM Beta.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b65accb0-52da-468e-be22-09732f4637d0
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

7 hours ago, MDom515 said:

Hey everyone, I'm also going to post that I am having an issue with CAM freezing windows, sometimes it happens randomly when closing out of programs and especially happens often when it comes to closing out of a game or out of vr mode on my Quest 2. Is this happening on mostly AMD platforms so far? any one having the same issues with CAM on intel platforms?

I'm not sure if AMD setups are more affected by this. I have an AMD myself. As far as I know, AMD is having some issues with USB devices and If this issue happens only on AMD setups, they might be related... 

8 hours ago, MDom515 said:

Level: Error  |  Date: 3/16/2021 | Time: 1:10:14 AM  |  Source: Application Error  |  Event ID:1000  |  Task Category: (100)

Faulting application name: NZXT CAM Beta.exe, version: 4.21.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f038496
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, time stamp: 0x0e9c5eae

Same here - it happens consistently when I close out of specific games in Steam.  I initially thought it had something to do with the "Games" section in the CAM software.  I have RAZER as well, I disabled the CORTEX software but left Synapse running - have not had any freeze since that change.  Something on my system with CAM and CORTEX conflicting when I come out of a game.

59 minutes ago, Dark-vash said:

I'm not sure if AMD setups are more affected by this. I have an AMD myself. As far as I know, AMD is having some issues with USB devices and If this issue happens only on AMD setups, they might be related... 

I thought this as well - looking forward to the BIOS update from ASUS to see if the USB issue was related.

12 hours ago, Dark-vash said:

Same here running AMD system didn’t know if this issues is specify toward us or not 🤦‍♂️

23 hours ago, MDom515 said:

Hey yeah ive been talking with Jeff the product manager of NZXT cam via email and it looks like this is an AMD CPU issue. I have a R7 3800x and a GTX 1070-Ti and this has been happening to me up to when I uninstalled cam. I tried to get the problem running on windows 10 (20H2) on my 4th gen i7 and it didnt happen. One thing I noted is this issue only happens on windows 10 version 2004-20H2. Windows 10 1909 does not have this issue on ryzen at least for me as I tested it.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, DrKappy said:

Same here - it happens consistently when I close out of specific games in Steam.  I initially thought it had something to do with the "Games" section in the CAM software.  I have RAZER as well, I disabled the CORTEX software but left Synapse running - have not had any freeze since that change.  Something on my system with CAM and CORTEX conflicting when I come out of a game.

Not sure what RAZER products you have, but I have the Nommo Pro audio system and I uninstalled the *insert colorful metaphor here* Synapse software. Turns out I can control the audio system right from my phone, RGB and all. One less proprietary software I have to keep installed. 

22 hours ago, BurntToasters said:

‎Hey sí ive estado hablando con Jeff el gerente de producto de NZXT cam por correo electrónico y parece que este es un problema de CPU AMD. Tengo un R7 3800x y un GTX 1070-Ti y esto me ha estado sucediendo hasta cuando desinstalé la cámara. Traté de conseguir el problema corriendo en windows 10 (20H2) en mi 4th gen i7 y no sucedió. Una cosa que noté es que este problema sólo sucede en Windows 10 versión 2004-20H2. Windows 10 1909 no tiene este problema en ryzen al menos para mí, ya que lo probé.‎

Hi, have you installed a clean version of Windows 1904 with CAM and no problems? Same here with 202H, random frezzes with and without CAM. I did a fresh Windows installation but I have 2004 now with no frezzes (1 month approx. and no prob yet). I haven't tried to install CAM yet because I'm scared for repeat all the installation process, programs, etc or if I install and then uninstall CAM the problem persist. Waiting new from Jeff. Thanks for all guys!

2 hours ago, ddpatron said:

Hi, have you installed a clean version of Windows 1904 with CAM and no problems? Same here with 202H, random frezzes with and without CAM. I did a fresh Windows installation but I have 2004 now with no frezzes (1 month approx. and no prob yet). I haven't tried to install CAM yet because I'm scared for repeat all the installation process, programs, etc or if I install and then uninstall CAM the problem persist. Waiting new from Jeff. Thanks for all guys!

Yes a clean install of windows 10 1909 has shown in my testing that the issue is gone. It is only present in windows 10 2004-20H2. I uninstalled cam on my main computer running windows 10 20H2 and no more issues.

Hi all, 

I am so happy I found this thread. I have been trying to figure out what my problem was for months. At the start of this year I build two near identical AMD pc's for my dad and myself. I was having random freezes and he had no issues at all. The only differences in the builds where the GPU's and the AIO's. He was using the Kraken X63 and I had a Z63. I have been troubleshooting for weeks trying to figure out if this was hardware related or software. Finally, thanks to this thread, found out that the issue was being caused by CAM and immediately disabled the software from starting automatically. I connected the fans from the AIO to the motherboard and now they are controlled using a fan curve in the BIOS. 

I was wondering though, is the issue only known with the Z series or also the X series Kraken? If that is the case would it be wise to help NZXT out with troubleshooting listing down if this happens more often with specific settings/display items(e.g. gif or dual graph or ....)?Or is that already tested? 

Hello guys! is there a solution? Have the same problem with more extended info:

I have 2 PC's with some similar (my & my wife)

MY - NO FREEZES!
I7 8086K, Z390I-gaming, 64 gB RAM Corsair, 2060 Super FE, NZXT H210i, Kraken Z63, System SSD XPG S11 Pro 256, Win 10 64bit PRO build 1909 - CAM 4.21

WIFE - FREEZES!
Ryzen 5 1400, B350I-gaming, 32 gB RAM hYPERx, Gigabyte 1050 Ti, NZXT H210i, AMD wraith prism RGB, System SSD Samsung 970 Pro 512, Win 10 PRO 64bit build 2004 - CAM 4.21

RAM HyperX 2 month ago was in MY PC - there was no problem. My 2060 Super FE last 2 weeks temporary was in wife's PC - same freezing. So, RAM & GPU don't relate to problem. 2Twixell - case is nor in KRaken Z, X etc, as you see Wife's PC has just ordinary AMD wraith prism cooler.

So, reading BurntToasters's post upper it really looks like

PROBLEM IN:
1. CPU - AMD

+
2. WIn 10 some build - definitely 2004 (1909 - works perfect).

probably in some WIn updates module K....??? not sure, I have updates OFF on my PC, so my 1909 works perfect & I didn't catch this issue, but wife's pc install win later so it got 2004 as default (that time I didn't know about this problem)

Or maybe problem on CAM's side - it couldn't work correctly with newest WIn updates & AMD, so I don't understand what CAM'S updates do ..... 4.19, 20,21...cause problem description on this forum was at least July 16, 2020.... just "new lipstick for monkey"???)))🙉🙉🙉🙉🙉

So, wanted to find fix in wich point it crashes the OS cause no wishes to reinstall Win & customize all software. 

Waiting news from Jeff & hope 4.22 with fixing, My wife waiting especially, she wanna use lightning in case 😁😁

Cpu: Ryzen 3700X

Motherboard: Asus B550 Strix

AIO: Kraken Z73

Clean Windows 20H2

Stop sound on youtube and freeze all, must reboot.

Now i uninstall CAM 🤞

19 minutes ago, wawacco said:

Now i uninstall CAM

Don't need uninstall - just remove it from OS autorun. You can run CAM to ON the lightning for example & than shutdown it - it will working.... but do it everytime is annoying process

If you close "Core Temp", it will stop freezing.
If you are using "Core Temp", please try it.

16 hours ago, Twixell said:

Hi all, 

I am so happy I found this thread. I have been trying to figure out what my problem was for months. At the start of this year I build two near identical AMD pc's for my dad and myself. I was having random freezes and he had no issues at all. The only differences in the builds where the GPU's and the AIO's. He was using the Kraken X63 and I had a Z63. I have been troubleshooting for weeks trying to figure out if this was hardware related or software. Finally, thanks to this thread, found out that the issue was being caused by CAM and immediately disabled the software from starting automatically. I connected the fans from the AIO to the motherboard and now they are controlled using a fan curve in the BIOS. 

I was wondering though, is the issue only known with the Z series or also the X series Kraken? If that is the case would it be wise to help NZXT out with troubleshooting listing down if this happens more often with specific settings/display items(e.g. gif or dual graph or ....)?Or is that already tested? 

NZXT is aware of the issue already you can read back or go to their blog. There isn’t anything specific with the combo but currently most of it happens on Ryzen system too have something in common. At the moment we have to wait 😅

Hi all,

#metoo! Like many of you I'm also a victim of this nasty CAM bug including switching much of my hardware in the troubleshooting process before I finally found this thread... 👍

My system runs fine now after stopping CAM from autostarting.

Really hoping for a fix soon!

System Info:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS Prime X470-PRO
CAM-controlled Hardware:
Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi RGB CPU Cooler
NZXT H500i