New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben

Hi there,

I need some help here. I have build a new computer (partlist at the bottom), so far, so good. It runs very good, performance is ok. But after a while (30-120min) of using it, Windows start to behave strange. Here the symptoms:
- Windows kind of freezes but I can still move the mouse, move windows around, close apps (but the closed apps icons stay in the taskbar).
- Youtube videos stop playing.
- I can open Taskmanager, but not do anything with it
- I can't logoff or shutdown, allways have to use the power button to hard-shutdown

What I tried:
- run some benchmarks, to make sure it's not the hardware, at least not in an obvious way: Blender, Prime95, 3D Mark (Timespy), Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- I run a memory test (the one from Windows)
- I suspected WiFi problems and switched to ethernet
- I suspected iSCSI, switched it off
- I susepcted NZXT CAM, uninstalled it
- I ran a Windows repair
- I reinstalled Windows completely

...nothing really helped so far, currently testing with the updated driver versions: (lates I could find, except AMD):
nivida: 451.67
Intel WiFi: 21.90.2.1
Intel Bluetooth: 21.90.0.4
Realtek NIC: 10.039.0212.2020
AMD Chipset: 2.04.28.626*
* confusing thing with the AMD chipset driver: AMD's latest driver version for B550 is 2.04.28.626. MSI offers a driver for this board with the version 2.05.04.352. I am now trying the AMD version. First I had the MSI Version.

I try to keep an eye on temperatures, but they look good (CPU below 50°C, GPU below 50°C). It doesn't happen during workload (I didn't start playing games yet, would be to frustrating with this issue), just regular working, browsing, Youtube.

Additional notes:

- no overclocking, only XMP Profile for RAM.

Any other ideas?

If nothing helps I will try to run Linux for a while to see if it is hardware or software related...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT KRAKEN Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Intel 760p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (OS)
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Data)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 400 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (x64) 2004
Case: NZXT H210 Red

Wow, no replies so far. Either I put too much words in the post or really no one has any idea.

Well, to give an update:

The driver update didn't solve the issue. Now I switched the OS SSD (from Intel to a faster Samsung; just  because the Samsung was the OS drive in my old rig, kind of supersticious I guess) and reinstalled Windows from scrap. Drivers installed some basic software I realy need (Edge Chromium, Notepad++, battle.net, Steam. email client). I also reenabled iSCSI drives for my gaming library after a 3 hours gaming without issues. Still no issues yet (another 3 hours of gaming). So it seems one of the other Apps/Software I use is the reason for the freezing.

My current main suspect: NZXT CAM. I'll test it.

So after a weekend of running and testing without NZXT CAM: no freezes. Then, this morning, just to give me a more solid argument, I startet NZXT CAM again and let it run in the system tray. After some time the first freeze occured.

So I am now for 90% sure that NZXT CAM is causing this.

Which is sad, because without the software the temperatures on the displkay are not updated. I will put in a nice GIF and see what NZXT has to offer supportwise, although I fear, unless they got more complaints like this, they won't do anything since the connection between the freezes and CAM is not very obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, Korben said:

So after a weekend of running and testing without NZXT CAM: no freezes. Then, this morning, just to give me a more solid argument, I startet NZXT CAM again and let it run in the system tray. After some time the first freeze occured.

So I am now for 90% sure that NZXT CAM is causing this.

Which is sad, because without the software the temperatures on the displkay are not updated. I will put in a nice GIF and see what NZXT has to offer supportwise, although I fear, unless they got more complaints like this, they won't do anything since the connection between the freezes and CAM is not very obvious.

Hello Korben,

I have had the same problem for two weeks, Windows freezes. For 5 days my PC has been running without the NZXT CAM software and I have been able to run my computer without any problems. It's stupid not to be able to use the CAM software because I can't control the RGB and the fans.

I came across this entry because I was looking for help via Google. So last Friday I contacted NZXT support.

PS. Grüße aus München

@Aleyster I tried the current beta version of CAM (4.10.0) and was already convinced that it solved the problem. I had no freeze for 2 days. But then it happened again. In retrospective I think I didn't use the computer for more than 4-5 hours over all in these two days.

It's good to know that someone else has the same issues with this.

Grüße aus Köln ;)

@Korben Im having the same issue as you my pc freeze randomly and i can move around the mouse but after a while the pc does not respond and i need to shut it off manually. I Think the problem is the NZXT cam for doing this. I uninstalled Icue and Dragon center for suspecting them for doing these kind of freezes but i anyways get the freezes. I dont know what to do. currently after reading these post im not suspecting any of my hardware because i play games whitout any problem just these weird randomly frezzes. I built my pc about 3 months ago and is very disappointed that i am experincing these. i think im gonna start Cam every time i start the computer to get my rgb profile for my fans to work and then exit cam right away and not having it run in the background and see if it does the trick and stops these annoying frezzes.

@Minions78 Please also contact NZXT support with this issue. The more people complain, the better the chances for a fix. Thanks for sharing! :)

@Korben Ive sent a ticket we will see what they do i dont have any hope of nzxt cam fixing this they had problem with their cam software for years and they know about their problem but dont seem to fix them.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:31 AM, Korben said:

Hi there,

I need some help here. I have build a new computer (partlist at the bottom), so far, so good. It runs very good, performance is ok. But after a while (30-120min) of using it, Windows start to behave strange. Here the symptoms:
- Windows kind of freezes but I can still move the mouse, move windows around, close apps (but the closed apps icons stay in the taskbar).
- I can't logoff or shutdown, allways have to use the power button to hard-shutdown

wow, I just finished building my PC and got the exact same experience too, at first I thought it was because I undervolted the cpu too much or because of the xmp profiles, so I just restore the whole bios settings
but today suddenly the weird freeze happened again, until I realized that the freeze always happens whenever I have nzxt cam opens in the background

I've just uninstalled it today after find out that a lot of people seems to have problems with nzxt cam seemingly just crash the entire system

@Korben @zaborudo I have been having the exact same problems you mentioned. Once you deleted NZXT CAM have the freezes stopped completely?

11 hours ago, bagelodips said:

@Korben @zaborudo I have been having the exact same problems you mentioned. Once you deleted NZXT CAM have the freezes stopped completely?

I didn't delete, just disabled autostart. And yes, since it is not running anymore, no more freezes.

3 hours ago, Korben said:

I didn't delete, just disabled autostart. And yes, since it is not running anymore, no more freezes.

Same here it seem that these fixed the freezes.

21 hours ago, Minions78 said:

Same here it seem that these fixed the freezes.

Well, kind of. But without the CAM software running the fan curves are not applied, the displayed temperatures (on the Z63) are not updated etc... They have to fix the software. So opening tickets is crucial.

I sent a ticket about these but they wanted me to record  how to freezes happens, i told them everything but they seem to dont give a fuck about the software at all this is the last time i will buy something from NZXT.

I'm having the same issues. How are you guys controlling you're pump speeds if we can't use CAM? I tried changing it my bios but it just sits at 700 rpm if I don't use CAM.

Edit - I think I fixed the pump speed but its wierd. If I uninstall CAM, my pump will only run at a max of 850rpm no matter what I do in the bios. However, if I unplug the usb I think the pump starts running at max speed but I can't prove it because I don't get any speed readings anymore. I think it is running at 2800 rpm because the temps cooler compared to when its plugged in.

Is the x63 designed in away to try and force you to use CAM? If it is I want my money back because this shit just crashes my computer.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:31 AM, Korben said:

Hi there,

What I tried:
- run some benchmarks, to make sure it's not the hardware, at least not in an obvious way: Blender, Prime95, 3D Mark (Timespy), Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- I run a memory test (the one from Windows)
- I suspected WiFi problems and switched to ethernet
- I suspected iSCSI, switched it off
- I susepcted NZXT CAM, uninstalled it
- I ran a Windows repair
- I reinstalled Windows completely

...nothing really helped so far, currently testing with the updated driver versions: (lates I could find, except AMD):
nivida: 451.67
Intel WiFi: 21.90.2.1
Intel Bluetooth: 21.90.0.4
Realtek NIC: 10.039.0212.2020
AMD Chipset: 2.04.28.626*
* confusing thing with the AMD chipset driver: AMD's latest driver version for B550 is 2.04.28.626. MSI offers a driver for this board with the version 2.05.04.352. I am now trying the AMD version. First I had the MSI Version.

I try to keep an eye on temperatures, but they look good (CPU below 50°C, GPU below 50°C). It doesn't happen during workload (I didn't start playing games yet, would be to frustrating with this issue), just regular working, browsing, Youtube.

Additional notes:

- no overclocking, only XMP Profile for RAM.

Any other ideas?

If nothing helps I will try to run Linux for a while to see if it is hardware or software related...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT KRAKEN Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Intel 760p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (OS)
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Data)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 400 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (x64) 2004
Case: NZXT H210 Red

No way!. I'm having exactly the same problem as yours. Did you get to the bottom of it?

@Imannudein @Jayrii @Minions78 @bagelodips @zaborudo @Aleyster

I'm now in the latest release of CAM (4.10.1) for about 5 days (installed it on sunday) and happy to say: no more freezes. The computer ran at least 8 hours each day, so I am pretty sure the issue is fixed. At least for me. Hope for you too.

Thanks all for the support.

19 minutes ago, Korben said:

@Imannudein @Jayrii @Minions78 @bagelodips @zaborudo @Aleyster

I'm now in the latest release of CAM (4.10.1) for about 5 days (installed it on sunday) and happy to say: no more freezes. The computer ran at least 8 hours each day, so I am pretty sure the issue is fixed. At least for me. Hope for you too.

Thanks all for the support.

Thank for the reply. I'm also on 4.10.1 but still freezes. Last night I wiped clean my environment and re-install Windows 10 version 1909.  So far so good. Gonna stick with this build for as long as i could until 2004 is more matured. 

2 hours ago, Imannudein said:

Thank for the reply. I'm also on 4.10.1 but still freezes. Last night I wiped clean my environment and re-install Windows 10 version 1909.  So far so good. Gonna stick with this build for as long as i could until 2004 is more matured. 

Honestly, nobody should be running Windows 10 2004 yet (unless you are part of Windows Insider or whatever).

It is nowhere near ready.

23 hours ago, Imannudein said:

I am running on 2004. So that what not the reason (at least not for me). But I also thought about going back to 1909.

It's that kind of bug that drives people crazy because it's so unpredictable... the cause could be anything from hardware drivers to conflicting software.

TBH, I don't think CAM is a well designed software. It's currently using 9 processes to monitor the system... which is, imo, kind of ridiculous... occupying over 1 GB of RAM...

If I wasn't stuck with the hardware I would immediately remove it. Next time I know better.

CAMProcesses.thumb.png.a18aee4db1469adec85266bc7de85095.png

@Korben, what can we do. Corsair has their iCue. Maybe that's another set of problem of it's own. I have 2 crapware running now, NZXT CAM and G Hub. I could not avoid those as they are needed for the functioning of my AiO and peripherals. I avoided MSI Dragoncentre like a plague (or Cov-19). That is also another dumpster fire. if I were to build another machine, I would be going with zero RGB, zero reliance on AiO software. Probably non-RGB water cooling loop from EK. 

Just ranting. Update on the situation; computer's running well with 1909. Touchwood, no freezes. 

Hello Folks,

I got a message from NZXT Support and I think my PC is fine, at least it's running 10 days straight without freezes.

@Korben @Imannudein @Jayrii @Minions78 @zaborudo

I'm running CAM 4.10.1 and my computer runs 24 hours a day for the test (at least for 10 days).

Info from NZXT:

"Hey there!

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with our CAM software. Firstly, could you try deleting the NZXT CAM folder found in the following path and restart CAM to see if this issue occurs?  C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\NZXT CAM or you can access this folder by typing %appdata% into your windows search bar and press enter.  After this, if that doesn't resolve the issue, please remove CAM with this software called Revo Uninstaller, as this software allows users to delete all residual files from CAM.  https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

Then you can do a fresh install of the CAM software."

PS: As a precaution, I disabled the option Windows Autostart and minimize CAM when closing. RBG and Fan Settings are working.

Still using Windows 10 2004.

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

ok, im not alone, same issue, NZXT CAM confirmed, tried all methods, check all the system events, nothing, all freeze come with CAM, 

by the way, the latest version on september will still freeze, just happened yesterday.