New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben

Well well well... I'm adding myself to this list. Tracked the problem to CAM too. I use iCUE because the rest of my rig runs with Corsair but had to use NZXT because I hybrid cooled my GPU with a Kraken X53 and a X12... before that I never had an issue like that. I'm opening a ticket too.
I am running W10 2004 too, but only since adding CAM everything became randomly unstable. Weirdly enough, it only happens with some programs like Ai and Fusion 360 for me.
For the time being, I'm stoping CAM from running on start up and only turn it on for games... but this is absurd.

Well, unfortunately I'm having the same problem here.

When I play some games, and leave my computer on idle, at desktop, for few minutes, the fans related to Smart Device go up to their maximum speed (set on CAM software), and the computer is locked. All I can do is open task manager, close some apps, but I cannot access restart or any other star menu function.

I decied to exit CAM software before leaving my computer on idle today, and I had no problems then. So I highly believe it is related to NZXT's software, maybe even a conflict with other programs (such as RGBFusion). I made a request on their website, and we'll see how their support handle this. I will post every progress from it here, so maybe we could get a solution. I really do not want to pay so much for these products and be left without support or with a malfunctioning system.

Yes, I updated to this version yesterday, let's see if crashes stop (hopefully). The ticket on NZXT support is still open though.

I've been having similar issues to OP on my PC. It would freeze and if I closed applications they would stay in the taskbar, YouTube/twitch streams would freeze, and games would freeze or get stuck on menus. If I tried to click shutdown or pressing the power button on my case would do nothing and I would have to hard restart. I tested so much on my PC from new ram, changing motherboards, reinstalling windows, making sure everything is up to date, and swapping my CPU to a Ryzen 5 1600 (normally I run a Ryzen 7 3700X) and I would still freeze. I noticed CAM service errors in event viewer even with the newest version of CAM. The weird thing about the issue is that it is really inconsistent on when I would freeze. Some days I would be fine, others I'd freeze in the middle of a game, and one day I ran AIDA64 for 15 hours perfectly fine just for it to freeze when I opened chrome. 

So far, uninstalling CAM has seemed to fix my issues. I'm not sure at the current moment if CAM is my issue, but this thread makes it seem like it. I hope NZXT fixes this so I can control my fans and RGB. I will post an update after a few more days if I don't have anymore issues.

Well I'm back on 2004. My PC updated itself after the long pause. Let's see if the problem persists. Interestingly, a friend of mine who is on z490 i7 does not have this problem. 

1 hour ago, Imannudein said:

Well I'm back on 2004. My PC updated itself after the long pause. Let's see if the problem persists. Interestingly, a friend of mine who is on z490 i7 does not have this problem. 

I have had the issue on 2004. I wish you luck in finding a fix. 

On a side note, I have noticed that most people in this thread, me included, seem to all have AMD systems. I have a friend who has the same case as I do, but he has no issues with CAM and he is running an i7(not sure exactly what mobo). I'm starting to wonder if it is some sort of issue with CAM and AMD. 

6 hours ago, Wasabi Slayer said:

I have had the issue on 2004. I wish you luck in finding a fix. 

On a side note, I have noticed that most people in this thread, me included, seem to all have AMD systems. I have a friend who has the same case as I do, but he has no issues with CAM and he is running an i7(not sure exactly what mobo). I'm starting to wonder if it is some sort of issue with CAM and AMD. 

Same observation here. I'm also on AMD. 

Mine is also all-AMD (CPU and GPU). With the latest CAM update (version 4.12.0) it seems to be fixed, but it is still to early to claim that. I'll keep testing and see what happens. I realy hope if it is fixed they do not bring this bug back again in future updates.

Besides BIOS, I updated all drivers, and I'm also on Windows 2004 version (which I thought was causing the issue - maybe the update caused incompatibility with CAM?).

i no this is a stupid fix but if you cant fix the problem you can use other controllers to run the argb fans.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem, I thought it was from updating BIOS on my mother board so I went back to an old version but it's still freezing. I think it's the new version of NZXT cam causing it in that case. Cause this didn't happen with the old "ugly" one. Where can you get NZXT cam 3.XXX???something? I think it's the pretty new 4.0 one causing it in that case.

Update on the situation. Wifey just got a new intel i9 setup with Kraken x53 AiO. Eveything else is comparable to my AMD system down to the peripherals which use Logitech G Hub. 

With CAM running, not a single hiccup on her Intel System. CAM is still causing freezes on mine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just made a new AMD build as well for when I finally land my hands on a 3080, but I threw my 1060 6gb in it for the time being so I can at least use it and prep all my games and programs. I decided to finally get my first AIO and went with the Kraken z73 only to have the same freezing issue everyone else is having after installing CAM. I got all the freezing to stop after uninstalling the program so I too can agree that it's the software causing the problem.

I'm just now installing 2004 as well, but I've been trying to see if there's a previous ver. of CAM 4.0 that works without freezing. I've used the 3.x versions but they are severely out dated and you can't control lighting (at least for z series hardware). After I put 2004 on my system, I'm going to try CAM again and I'll update what the results are.

System specs
-Ryzen 7 3700x
-EVGA 1060 6gb SC
-2x Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3200
-500gb Samsung 970 Evo Plus
-1tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus
-MSI B550 Tomahawk
-850w 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU

Still crashed it not even 30 minutes after running. I'm leaving it installed but not started so I can at least keep my cooler lit. I'm not sure what else to do other than try older versions but that will have to be another day. Even with the fans running at their default speed and the pump running default my CPU and GPU stay under 70 degrees and my liquid doesn't go over 40 Degrees under heavy loads.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:26 PM, Korben said:

Either I put too much words

yes. when you're describing a problem please make it as short and precise as possible. A wall of text is mostly confusing the reader and nothing else tbh.

Problem: game crashing if...

Specs:  .

that's about it (usually)

On 7/18/2020 at 12:26 PM, Korben said:

NZXT CAM.

yes. just don't use this trash, I'm sorry if you bought one of their fancy looking coolers unfortunately their software is bad and dysfunctional since many many years and will never be fixed.

There's always an "update" coming that's supposed to fix things, fact is the problems are *ongoing* since many years and the people responsible are apparently completely overtaxed with the job.

Again I'm sorry, I'm just writing this because I'm at complete disbelief people still don't know this...  

Just a quick google search should reveal all these *ongoing* issues... 

ps: and this is exactly why I'll never use *any* NZXT products ever again:

CAMProcesses.png.72478896e38384b1712256e84951105c.thumb.png.8e8820358b0ac8698b182f22e223dac9.png

1 GB for fan control, are you serious lol!

btw, glad you got it fixed somehow, also did they implement the function to disable auto updates and the excessive data collection yet, which they promised over a year ago they would do "soon"?

And good luck, I suppose!  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yes. when you're describing a problem please make it as short and precise as possible. A wall of text is mostly confusing the reader and nothing else tbh.

Problem: game crashing if...

Specs:  .

that's about it (usually)

yes. just don't use this trash, I'm sorry if you bought one of their fancy looking coolers unfortunately their software is bad and dysfunctional since many many years and will never be fixed.

There's always an "update" coming that's supposed to fix things, fact is the problems are *ongoing* since many years and the people responsible are apparently completely overtaxed with the job.

Again I'm sorry, I'm just writing this because I'm at complete disbelief people still don't know this...  

Just a quick google search should reveal all these *ongoing* issues... 

ps: and this is exactly why I'll never use *any* NZXT products ever again:

CAMProcesses.png.72478896e38384b1712256e84951105c.thumb.png.8e8820358b0ac8698b182f22e223dac9.png

1 GB for fan control, are you serious lol!

btw, glad you got it fixed somehow, also did they implement the function to disable auto updates and the excessive data collection yet, which they promised over a year ago they would do "soon"?

And good luck, I suppose!  

On newer version you have the option to disable data collection and sharing. I have now moved my Ryzen built to another case (TD500 mesh) with stock AMD cooler. So no need to install CAM. On my intel build, with Z490 i9 10850k, Win 10 2004, CAM installed and running, no issue at all. For those who have problems, please submit a ticket to NZXT Support. They're always quick to respond. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I maybe late to the discussion but I've had the same issue with CAM. I have a R5 3600x and Kraken X63. Anyone been able to solve it, other than uninstalling CAM XD.

Signed up to the forum just to add a 'me too'. *Exact* same symptoms as everyone else. This is my first NZXT product, I love the cooler otherwise but this software is very poor. After the crash, I search online and was flooded with other posts talking about problems with Cam and crashing Windows. Just trialling 4.14.0-b.1 beta to see if it helps.

I have raised a ticket.

For the new ones to this post, if you didn't pick it up from the others, you can still have CAM installed, and run it long enough to set your lighting and fan preferences, after they are set, just exit the program and the computer will remember the settings. Also make sure to disable it from auto-start on launch.

1 hour ago, Cryoshira said:

For the new ones to this post, if you didn't pick it up from the others, you can still have CAM installed, and run it long enough to set your lighting and fan preferences, after they are set, just exit the program and the computer will remember the settings. Also make sure to disable it from auto-start on launch.

From my testing, the pump will run at the last speed it was running with cam open without any kind of curve. If you completely remove power from your PC though (i.e switch it off at the PSU for at least a few minutes) it will default to ~900rpm constant (you can also tell because the lighting ring will reset and go back to a circling pattern). This is how my X53 behaves anyway, so basically CAM is required for good cooling.

There is some talk about this issue on the subreddit. Some people are suggesting crashes are caused if you use any kind of monitoring software while cam is running. This aligns with what I'm seeing as I had task manager open on my first crash.

Beta version didn't help, eventually crashed using the W10 Netflix app. Video stopped with sound looping, could still move the mouse but nothing else would respond. Hard to hard reset with the power button. Getting pretty annoyed with this now.

I had the same exact issue, I found that my dragon center was causing issues and deleted that. I have a video as well showing the exact same issue, now i am not sure if there is some conflict between the CAM software and dragon center, check the post i made last month

Just chiming in to say that I have the same damn issue as well, Cam V4.15.0

AMD system as well with the Z73

HOLY CRAP I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!! this has been happening for 3 weeks, same exact symptoms. couldnt do anything. took it to a local pc fixing dude, nothing. took it to best buy geek squad. nothing. now i figured it out finally holy crap. in some instanced it would work for a little... im so happy ... at the very beginning i had switched my case and psu. and i ended up buying another 2 psu's a cpui, 2 of the same motherboards thinking they were fried, another hdd and ssd, switching rams with my brother.... jesus christ all due to this..