US Considering Banning TikTok

ThePointblank
14 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

That's the American way.

Your funny. Its the left way.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, Statik said:

So you think that because you're bored, the Chinese Communist Party should be allowed to harvest incredible amounts of information on you, and millions of other people (who have no idea, including children), and you should lose all rights to that information, allowing them to do with it whatever they please? Imo that ideology perfectly encapsulated how the majority of the current generation is so naive to believe that since something isn't directly ruining their life at that very second, there's nothing wrong with it and they don't care.

You really need to do some research.

Also, "current generation"? I'm two generations behind that. Take your anger up with gen alpha. ;)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I'm just surprised TikTok hasn't been identified as causing cancer in the State of California!

that should be a suggestive idea to bring to their politicians

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

China has massive issues with wars of expansion.  Their governmental system is too unwieldy to handle further territorial expansion. It’s already bigger than they can easily deal with.  They’ve got massive advantages in a defensive war though.

All this partisan flag waving makes me a bit tired.  Yes Red wants everything blamed on “da communists” because it’s convenient for them. The tik tok thing isn’t any worse than the google thing though.  I’m not saying it’s good.

Your right.

but as a national security person in America, already worried about the military and tactical threat of China, what is more concerning. Google having more information incase USA wanna war the USA or a foreign company already with sketchy links that asked all companies to give them information.

This isn’t about Privacy over all. No not at all. The problem is these chineese law that all companies must report information and nobody can say information about China or they get lifetime imprisonment. The problem isn’t tiktok having sensitive information, it’s the Chinese government. 

On 7/7/2020 at 5:58 AM, huilun02 said:

Ban Facebook as well then. Grow a spine

Honestly not a terrible idea. Same for Twitter.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 7/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, JoostinOnline said:

Only America is allowed to spy on people.

Yes

Americans have the right to be only spyded by Americans 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Your right.

but as a national security person in America, already worried about the military and tactical threat of China, what is more concerning. Google having more information incase USA wanna war the USA or a foreign company already with sketchy links that asked all companies to give them information.

This isn’t about Privacy over all. No not at all. The problem is these chineese law that all companies must report information and nobody can say information about China or they get lifetime imprisonment. The problem isn’t tiktok having sensitive information, it’s the Chinese government. 

Not sure.  The google problem is different in character.  Google has a lot of information that could be used for massive thought control within the US and could potentially upend democracy.  We already see that being done to some degree.  It used to be that direction of country opinions and presidential opinion were pretty matched.  Lately it hasn’t been.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Do you read the stuff or just the headline? Microsoft works with authorities who have a warrant to access a users files. It's not carte blanche

"Blanket orders from the secret surveillance court allow these communications to be collected without an individual warrant if the NSA operative has a 51% belief that the target is not a US citizen and is not on US soil at the time. Targeting US citizens does require an individual warrant, but the NSA is able to collect Americans' communications without a warrant if the target is a foreign national located overseas."

nice just issue a warrant that allows you to spy on anyone thats not a citizen and outside of your country why didnt china think of that then it would be considered proper and legal to spy on americans since theres a warrant LUL

"including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption"

i wonder why apple isnt being sued by the NSA if its required by law to help them circumvent encryption

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

"Blanket orders from the secret surveillance court allow these communications to be collected without an individual warrant if the NSA operative has a 51% belief that the target is not a US citizen and is not on US soil at the time. Targeting US citizens does require an individual warrant, but the NSA is able to collect Americans' communications without a warrant if the target is a foreign national located overseas."

nice just issue a warrant that allows you to spy on anyone thats not a citizen and outside of your country why didnt china think of that then it would be considered proper and legal to spy on americans since theres a warrant LUL

"including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption"

i wonder why apple isnt being sued by the NSA if its required by law to help them circumvent encryption

Not a US citizen and not on US soil and then has to follow international law. Would also like to point out it's mainly for terrorist suspects etc and microsoft can refuse if they so wish just like apple did against the FBI. 

They're not required to by law, funnily enough giving the NSA data about someone that's not a US national or on US soil means companies have to abide by the laws in that region too such as the DPD in the EU. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Not a US citizen and not on US soil and then has to follow international law. Would also like to point out it's mainly for terrorist suspects etc and microsoft can refuse if they so wish just like apple did against the FBI. 

They're not required to by law, funnily enough giving the NSA data about someone that's not a US national or on US soil means companies have to abide by the laws in that region too such as the DPD in the EU. 

yeah nice following international law when they were wiretapping foreign government officials and yes ofc they are just spying on "terrorists"

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yeah nice following international law when they were wiretapping foreign government officials and yes ofc they are just spying on "terrorists"

Their interest is obstensibly terrorists though they likely monitor a much wider pool looking for them.  Folks can go crazy at any time.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thought about this more.  The problem is monitoring is a devil’s bargain.  It makes some things easier in the short term, but will cause other possibly much larger problems later.  There’s some rule hat says anything abusable will eventually be abused.  A function of the limitation of humanity I guess.  Monitoring creates an abusable situation.

15 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You really need to do some research.

Also, "current generation"? I'm two generations behind that. Take your anger up with gen alpha. ;)

In my defense sarcasm through text is nearly impossible to convey. And while you may be an old fuck two generations behind, my point still stands, if not stronger.

All jokes aside, I find that nearly no one (from any generation) cares about (or even understands) privacy online.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

This is true, in fact they even go to court and fight handing over data when they feel the US is over stepping it's power.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/09/microsoft-court-case-hotmail-ireland-search-warrant

and the outcome:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/14/microsoft-emails-court-ruling-us-government

Becasue everyone thinks MS doesn't care about privacy.   They have always cared, their professional reputation in corporate sales relies on them being honest about it.

Interestingly, Microsoft has faced far less problems operating in China, even Huawei phones have MS translate installed on some models.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Interestingly, Microsoft has faced far less problems operating in China, even Huawei phones have MS translate installed on some models.

There might be an undiscussed reason in both cases. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Probably because most government and enterprise computers don't run on Linux yet.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

18 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Oddly specific

Well I had TikTok for a school project so I obviously saw the 💩 that's on there.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

23 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

Well I had TikTok for a school project so I obviously saw the 💩 that's on there.

TikTok for a school project? And I thought our education system was abysmal.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 7/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, Spotty said:

Meh. Let people use the app if they want. Free market and all that. If you ban TikTok it would just create a vacuum that would be filled by another useless app. There's absolutely no reason to ever use TikTok so if anyone does choose to use it then they can sign away their soul data to whoever they want.

instagram has already done this with a feature called "reels", its come out in an update here in india after tiktok was banned, idk about other countries

😕

21 hours ago, Statik said:

I'd like to say I do it for the kids, but I really just do it for the odd internet point.

I feel deleting effectively will do nothing, and really all they can do is just ban it for an actual effect... Also you leave ramen out of this. It's innocently delicious.

They think they're going to stop use of the app? What are you getting at?

In the India ban, I'm pretty sure they banned the IMEI's for products. So using VPNs would be useless.

i can agree, tiktok addicted peeps have come to me and asked me to set up vpns for them so they can continue using the app.

thankfully nothing works :D

😕

1 hour ago, Statik said:

In my defense sarcasm through text is nearly impossible to convey. And while you may be an old fuck two generations behind, my point still stands, if not stronger.

All jokes aside, I find that nearly no one (from any generation) cares about (or even understands) privacy online.

other than the genx, no generation does. im genz and no one gives a rat's fuck

😕

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Probably because most government and enterprise computers don't run on Linux yet.

china are windows peasants as well. who woulda thought

😕

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

Wasn’t what I was thinking of.  Very few computers run Linux at all, though it’s more common in enterprise systems.  I don’t know if that would solve anything or not.  Might I guess.  I don’t know.  It’s not uncommon in the US for systems even older than Linux being used governmentally.  Like Solaris.

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

TikTok for a school project? And I thought our education system was abysmal.

It was for the Graduation party of the last High School year, everyone was supposed to make a TikTok video from themselves explaining who they are and what job/apprenticeship they got. My Computer Science/English Teacher and myself were in charge of the project, the girls from our and the other class wanted to use TikTok and we thought it was a good idea (I haven't heard of TikTok before at the time and obviously didn't know that Bytedance had implemented back doors in the app and had security vulnerabilities) but later pretty much all of the boys from all 5 classes (this was a very small school compared to American standards) refused to submit a TikTok video just because they didn't want to be on video. In the end I just made a big Google Slides presentation with a portrait of everyone in the 1st Highschool year and in the 3rd and last for the opening of the graduation ceremony/party. I played around with TikTok for a while actually and made some videos but never showed myself for obvious reasons. 

I don't remember which one I used but I did play around with an open source video editing software on ubuntu in school to teach it myself, that was on a Thinkpad which only had a Intel Skylake 6400, it was fine to scratch edit videos to try it out but if we were to actually edit 100+ videos to together then we would've needed something much more powerful.

I mean I still had a lot of fun with the project and playing around with everything.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, Lord Vile said:

Think it's more because they're giving US citizens data to a foreign government and they can't regulate it. FaceBook and google can't do certain things with the data because of US law whereas the Chinese government counldn't care less. Plus they can use data to do things such as interfere in US elections perhaps. 

Why confuse the rabble with the facts? 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5