US Considering Banning TikTok

ThePointblank
On 7/7/2020 at 3:33 AM, lewdicrous said:

That's the American way.

Murica lets go

~~The Rig~~

||   CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x   ||   CPU COOLER: Stock Wraith Spire   ||   Mobo: MSI Tomahawk B350   ||   Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 (3000mHz)   ||   SSD: Inland 120gb (Bootdrive)   ||   HDD(s): Seagate 1tb/WD Green 1tb   ||   GPU: Radeon 480 (reference design)  ||   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite  ||   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2   ||

On 7/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Lord Vile said:

Think it's more because they're giving US citizens data to a foreign government and they can't regulate it. FaceBook and google can't do certain things with the data because of US law whereas the Chinese government counldn't care less. Plus they can use data to do things such as interfere in US elections perhaps. 

Since when do corporations follow the law when there’s no chance of them being caught? There’s this opinion that somehow a corporation is safer than government.  I believe the opposite is true because there are more controls on government.  I don’t think either is very safe, but this corporate America having regulation they follow when they’re not forced to.  And when it gets removed regularly? Nope. Also tik tok is Hong Kong and they’re apparently thinking of leaving Hong Kong because of the new regs there.  Again, not saying it’s good.  I’m just saying both are scary.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, applebook said:

Why confuse the rabble with the facts? 

So “rabble” huh?  How nice.  The insult direct

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Since when do corporations follow the law when there’s no chance of them being caught? There’s this opinion that somehow a corporation is safer than government.  I believe the opposite is true because there are more controls on government.  I don’t think either is very safe, but this corporate America having regulation they follow when they’re not forced to.  And when it gets removed regularly? Nope. Also tik tok is Hong Kong and they’re apparently thinking of leaving Hong Kong because of the new regs there.  Again, not saying it’s good.  I’m just saying both are scary.

There are no controls on the Chinese government. Post a picture of Winnie the Pooh and you're off to the work camp. 

Corps always bend or break rules but at least they're there and with the amount of whistleblowers, whitehats etc around it's not easy for them to get away with a lot. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

16 hours ago, williamcll said:

Interestingly, Microsoft has faced far less problems operating in China, even Huawei phones have MS translate installed on some models.

You know the official OS of china is a linux variant (kylin) developed by them, Ms had to make a special variant of win10 just for them,  they hope to ditch all MS based software 2022 and they outright banned windows 8 at one point.  Only private companies use MS because like all industry anywhere in the world, you can't just stop using windows. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

There are no controls on the Chinese government. Post a picture of Winnie the Pooh and you're off to the work camp. 

Corps always bend or break rules but at least they're there and with the amount of whistleblowers, whitehats etc around it's not easy for them to get away with a lot. 

A statement that doesn’t even address the point made

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

A statement that doesn’t even address the point made

From the quote: "There’s this opinion that somehow a corporation is safer than government.  I believe the opposite is true because there are more controls on government"

In my response: "There are no controls on the Chinese government. Post a picture of Winnie the Pooh and you're off to the work camp."

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

From the quote: "There’s this opinion that somehow a corporation is safer than government.  I believe the opposite is true because there are more controls on government"

In my response: "There are no controls on the Chinese government. Post a picture of Winnie the Pooh and you're off to the work camp."

Then how is there still a hundred arce woods in ShangHai Disneyland?

image.png.eff36ff218f321ad3df26050c877bb83.png

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

Ah. I should have said US government.  Even that is in theory though.  Controls on government in the is seem to be getting removed by the current administration as fast as they can do so.  Still there is more control and oversight on government Executives that There is corporate executives.  Controls on Chinese government behavior come from the nature of the Chinese communist party. It’s makeup is somewhat random and it size while almost untenably huge for its system type is fantastically small for the nations size.  They talk a lot about maintaining order and consistency and sill cannot act in an unethical manner in the view of the population though the ethics set is not exactly the same.  Corporations have nothing to restrain them.

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Then how is there still a hundred arce woods in ShangHai Disneyland?

image.png.eff36ff218f321ad3df26050c877bb83.png

"Post a Picture" It's a freedom of speech thing. Disney still sells merch but things people post on social media about him are highly likely to be taken down, even if it has no connection to why they started taking the posts down. 

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah. I should have said US government.  Even that is in theory though.  Controls on government in the is seem to be getting removed by the current administration as fast as they can do so.  Still there is more control and oversight on government Executives that There is corporate executives.  Controls on Chinese government behavior come from the nature of the Chinese communist party. It’s makeup is somewhat random and it size while almost untenably huge for its system type is fantastically small for the nations size.  They talk a lot about maintaining order and consistency and sill cannot act in an unethical manner in the view of the population though the ethics set is not exactly the same.  Corporations have nothing to restrain them.

Never heard of the great leap? 

10 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

"Post a Picture" It's a freedom of speech thing. Disney still sells merch but things people post on social media about him are highly likely to be taken down, even if it has no connection to why they started taking the posts down. 

I still see them on WeiBo and Bilibili

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I still see them on WeiBo and Bilibili

Isn't hong kong self governing to a degree? 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Verily, now we can actually pass funding bills now that all the rioters got what they deserved.

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Verily, now we can actually pass funding bills now that all the rioters got what they deserved.

Honestly didn't pay much attention to that. Was that the thing where the overwatch character Mei was used? 

27 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Honestly didn't pay much attention to that. Was that the thing where the overwatch character Mei was used? 

Now that I think about it that mellowed out pretty quickly. I also remember that there was a prominent protester on this forum. I bet he got arrested months ago lol.

34 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Now that I think about it that mellowed out pretty quickly. I also remember that there was a prominent protester on this forum. I bet he got arrested months ago lol.

Not arrested, invited to a happy camp where they explain how great communism is through water sport in the basement. 

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

“The” great leap? “A” great leap perhaps.  

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

There have been recent changes.  Implication is  that major changes were forced.  There were very large riots.  Apparently the rioters lost.  

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

“The” great leap? “A” great leap perhaps.  

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Perhaps you mean “the Great Leap Forward”. Happened in the 1960’s in China.  Disastrous results.  Completely changed Chinese government as of even 20 years ago.  Ancient history.  Was a frantic attempt to force China from first stage to second stage communism.  It failed.  China then abandoned communism.  One reason it bugs me that the phrase “Chinese communist government” keeps on getting bandied about.  It doesn’t exist anymore Mx. One might as well be talking about imperial France.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Perhaps you mean “the Great Leap Forward”. Happened in the 1960’s in China.  Disastrous results.  Completely changed Chinese government as of even 20 years ago.  Ancient history.

Um no it didn't change the Chinese government. They do pretty much the same stuff as back.

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Um no it didn't change the Chinese government. They do pretty much the same stuff as back.

Depends on the definition of “pretty much and how you want to define that.  I would say They don’t. It’s not an unheard of thing. The Republican Party for example has a nearly opposite stance to the when it was founded by Lincoln.   Still the same organization though.

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

And things detrimental to the current US President are so drawing of death threats that it amounts to terrorism.  Functionally it’s not stupendously different.  I’m not saying it’s ok.  

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

The change in leadership did bring the country from starvation to prosperity. Unfortunately this meant a lot of social policies were abandoned in the process, as it happened to vietnam and russia.

53 minutes ago, williamcll said:

The change in leadership did bring the country from starvation to prosperity. Unfortunately this meant a lot of social policies were abandoned in the process, as it happened to vietnam and russia.

Nearly 20 years after the great leap?