US Considering Banning TikTok

ThePointblank
12 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Nearly 20 years after the great leap? 

The words I believe I used were “ancient history” The Great Leap Forward was over by the 80’s 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The words I believe I used were “ancient history” The Great Leap Forward was over by the 80’s 

Not that long ago and not much has changed.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Not that long ago and not much has changed.

Ah.  You think it’s still the 1980’s.  Have fun playing your Walkman.  I hear there’s this new dangle thing called an “ibm computer that’s making waves.  I hear it runs at something like 1/200th of a ghz.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  You think it’s still the 1980’s.  Have fun playing your Walkman.  I hear there’s this new dangle thing called an “ibm computer that’s making waves.  I hear it runs at something like 1/200th of a ghz.  

You do know there's still people of working age that were alive under Mao right? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

42 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

You do know there's still people of working age that were alive under Mao right? 

Sure.  The ones that didn’t starve to death anyway.  I remember Regan myself.  I even remember Carter,  US was a very different place then.  The Great Leap Forward started wilt steel production and snowballed.  Something about an attempt at at home steel mills.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:46 AM, CTR640 said:

The US is really one of the biggest hypocritical continent in the whole world. They considering to ban TikTok but Fakebook is fine? Snapcrap, Whatscapp and Instagram are fine? A law that forces to have a backdoor is fine and banning encryption is fine too? Geebus, you gotta love the dumb tards in the gov.

Its because every thing is China's fault. At least that's what this current administration thinks. The other issue is Tik Tok is a Chinese company can doesn't really have to fallow the law if they don't want to. Its not like China will allow us to extradite executives of the company from China. 

You don't think the NSA uses data from Facebook, WhatsApp, or Instagram? Thats why their data collection is OK. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its because every thing is China's fault. At least that's what this current administration thinks. The other issue is Tik Tok is a Chinese company can doesn't really have to fallow the law if they don't want to. Its not like China will allow us to extradite executives of the company from China. 

You don't think the NSA uses data from Facebook, WhatsApp, or Instagram? Thats why their data collection is OK. 

The US apps you describe are all already banned in China.  American corporation often don’t have to either, and they often don’t follow chinese law.

I personally think this action has nothing to do with data collection and everything to do with the personal goals of the administration which have nothing to do with the good of US citizenry

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The US apps you describe are all already banned in China

Thats because they don't want our intelligence services having the data. The NSA was caught with equipment in a AT&T data center many years back. China knows that US would want to collect data on Chinese citizens. Because for the last few years the US and China have been caught in a measuring contest (You can guess what they are measuring). This is also the same reason the US doesn't trust Chinese companies, because most businesses in China have some ties to the government, as China is communist. 

Not agreeing with the decision to ban the app, but its just the nature of the beast. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Thats because they don't want our intelligence services having the data. The NSA was caught with equipment in a AT&T data center many years back. China knows that US would want to collect data on Chinese citizens. Because for the last few years the US and China have been caught in a measuring contest (You can guess what they are measuring). This is also the same reason the US doesn't trust Chinese companies, because most businesses in China have some ties to the government, as China is communist. 

Not agreeing with the decision to ban the app, but its just the nature of the beast. 

This word “communist”. I don’t think it means what you think it means. 

As for the US/China trade war, it did not start out as a two sided thing though it has turned into that.  that was instigated by the US administration over the protests of basically everyone who knew about the subject “because trade wars are quick and easy to win”

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

communist

Communist means the government owns the means of production. Which means the Chinese government has at least a bit of stake in many of the businesses over there. Yeah China did allow private businesses but I have read in recent years they are trying to crack down and gain more control. Which is why Hong Kong wants nothing to do with them.

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Communist means the government owns the means of production. Which means the Chinese government has at least a bit of stake in many of the businesses over there. Yeah China did allow private businesses but I have read in recent years they are trying to crack down and gain more control. Which is why Hong Kong wants nothing to do with them.

Nope.  It means it owns it ENTIRELY. Like take the owners, put them against a wall, shoot them, and take control of the company.  By your definition the USA and basically every other country in the world is communist too.  US perhaps less than many, but it still has stakes in some production.

It also (and this bit is important) has a planned economy.  The IS has never had a planned economy.  India did at one point.  Maybe still does.  China did and still does though to a lesser degree than it used to.  The eu countries don’t though at one point France experimented with it.  To be communist a country must have both as well as some other stuff.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:28 AM, Ashley xD said:

so wait hold up, they wanna ban chinese apps because of data concerns, but they also want a law that bans the use of encryption? or at least gives them a backdoor into anything? hold up. 

I know I'm late to the party, so please forgive me. The world of politics and the elite kind of works like WWE:

You watch the players beat the crap out of each other on national television.

Then all of the players get in a couple of buses, head to the next show town, and hang out and party with each other until the next show. (not an allegation of alliances, an allegation of "they all do the same things")

Where they proceed to show you how they like to beat the crap out of each other on national television.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME