US Considering Banning TikTok

ThePointblank

US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo has indicated that the US government is looking at banning Chinese social media apps, including TikTok, due to concerns about how Chinese social media companies are handling data about their users:

From Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-tiktok-china-pompeo/pompeo-says-u-s-looking-at-banning-chinese-social-media-apps-including-tiktok-fox-idUSKBN2480DF

(Reuters) - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said late on Monday that the United States is “certainly looking at” banning Chinese social media apps, including TikTok.

“I don’t want to get out in front of the President (Donald Trump), but it’s something we’re looking at,” Pompeo said in an interview with Fox News.

U.S. lawmakers have raised national security concerns over TikTok’s handling of user data, saying they were worried about Chinese laws requiring domestic companies “to support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.”

The concerns about TikTok's handling of user data stem from the fact that they are owned by a Chinese firm, ByteDance, which was reported to have cooperated with the Chinese government in censoring and surveilling content pertaining to a number of sensitive topics for Beijing, along with the concerns about Chinese law requiring Chinese companies to assist the government in data collection efforts.

Due to these concerns, the app is banned from use on all US and Australian government devices, because of the risk of spying.

The app, TikTok was also fined last year by the FTC for violating child privacy protection laws in the US as well.

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

so wait hold up, they wanna ban chinese apps because of data concerns, but they also want a law that bans the use of encryption? or at least gives them a backdoor into anything? hold up. 

Only America is allowed to spy on people.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

As @Ashley xD and @JoostinOnline have already said it does seem a bit hypocritical. Would this still have happened if it had still been Musical.ly, with offices in the US?

However, I refuse to believe that TikTok is having a net positive impact on society and they seem to have a particularly lackluster approach to privacy and child protection, as well as enforcing unpleasant stereotypes and pressure.

In other words: good riddance, but not for the claimed reason.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

as well as enforcing unpleasant stereotypes and pressure.

You realize it's more than that, right?  What you've seen is solely based on your interests or demographic.

7 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

In other words: good riddance, but not for the claimed reason.

As a millennial working from home and no social life due to a global pandemic who's only fighting the darkness with TikTok...I disagree. 😄

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Or they could just fine Tiktok for privacy breached. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Meh. Let people use the app if they want. Free market and all that. If you ban TikTok it would just create a vacuum that would be filled by another useless app. There's absolutely no reason to ever use TikTok so if anyone does choose to use it then they can sign away their soul data to whoever they want.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The US is really one of the biggest hypocritical continent in the whole world. They considering to ban TikTok but Fakebook is fine? Snapcrap, Whatscapp and Instagram are fine? A law that forces to have a backdoor is fine and banning encryption is fine too? Geebus, you gotta love the dumb tards in the gov.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

11 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

The US is really one of the biggest hypocritical continent in the whole world.

Did we finally annex Canada? TAKE THAT, CANADIANS! USA! USA! USA!

In all seriousness, I don't oppose this move, I just wish they'd go all in and enforce it across all forms of social media. We should have the right to know who is using our data and for what purposes. We've seen many times in the past that what they disclose in those term agreements don't exactly reflect the full scope of the data collected, or the full intent behind the use of said data. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

7 minutes ago, MageTank said:

In all seriousness, I don't oppose this move, I just wish they'd go all in and enforce it across all forms of social media. We should have the right to know who is using our data and for what purposes. We've seen many times in the past that what they disclose in those term agreements don't exactly reflect the full scope of the data collected, or the full intent behind the use of said data. 

Which will never ever gonna happen unfortunately... It's also scary they can see all your pictures and other files on your phone if they have access to your phone by "agreeing".

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

Think it's more because they're giving US citizens data to a foreign government and they can't regulate it. FaceBook and google can't do certain things with the data because of US law whereas the Chinese government counldn't care less. Plus they can use data to do things such as interfere in US elections perhaps. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I understand it and hate TikTok (so yay), on the other, let people choose what they want to use. 99% of these people post everything about their lives across multiple social media platforms anyways, so privacy isn't really their concern.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

6 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

so wait hold up, they wanna ban chinese apps because of data concerns, but they also want a law that bans the use of encryption? or at least gives them a backdoor into anything? hold up. 

Correct.  "It's okay for a government to spy on their own citizens but not okay for a foreign government to do so."

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

china bans facebook and google* omg china is so oppressive US bans tiktok* yeah national security

China bans stuff to supress freedom of information and freedom of speech. Slightly different to stopping a foreign nation mining your citizens data. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Ban Facebook as well then. Grow a spine

That won't happen because Facebook is buddy buddy with CIA, FBI and other law enforcement agencies. I recently watchee the documentary "Terms and conditions my apply" it really goes into detail on how these large social media companies can do the spying for agencies. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I want TicTok banned for its level of spying and close ties. It also is aimed at kids and doesn’t follow laws. So I want to see it gone. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Now... if only they could also shut down facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, reddit (might have missed something along the road), the world would instantly become a better place.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

Now... if only they could also shut down facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, reddit (might have missed something along the road), the world would instantly become a better place.

New places would pop up to take their place. To say the world would be better because of *insert thing I don't like here* disappearing is a bunch of bullshit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Meh. Let people use the app if they want. Free market and all that. If you ban TikTok it would just create a vacuum that would be filled by another useless app. There's absolutely no reason to ever use TikTok so if anyone does choose to use it then they can sign away their soul data to whoever they want.

While on one hand I completely agree with the sentiment of "free country, do as you wish", and people should be able to choose the apps/programs they want to use, but on the other hand, do you think that level of freedom should still take prescience, and no action should be taken when companies with direct ties to malicious, communist governments, are manipulating and taking advantage of millions of people, including millions of children?

I'm personally a firm believer that burying malicious intent in 5000 pages of a "terms of service" is a bullshit tactic, because 99% of users have no ability or time to read that in the first place. It's purely there to take advantage of readers, and ontop of that the majority of the time, the real things they're doing aren't even stated in the TOS.

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You realize it's more than that, right?  What you've seen is solely based on your interests or demographic.

As a millennial working from home and no social life due to a global pandemic who's only fighting the darkness with TikTok...I disagree. 😄

So you think that because you're bored, the Chinese Communist Party should be allowed to harvest incredible amounts of information on you, and millions of other people (who have no idea, including children), and you should lose all rights to that information, allowing them to do with it whatever they please? Imo that ideology perfectly encapsulated how the majority of the current generation is so naive to believe that since something isn't directly ruining their life at that very second, there's nothing wrong with it and they don't care.

Just now, Lurick said:

New places would pop up to take their place. To say the world would be better because of *insert thing I don't like here* disappearing is a bunch of bullshit.

While I agree with you, I also feel saying "don't fix companies like google, facebook, etc, because others will just replace it" is also a bullshit mindset. There's options to have "safe" social media, it's just hard to implement because nobody has an understanding of it, and large corporations control politics, so it's a very hard movement to begin.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

China bans stuff to supress freedom of information and freedom of speech. Slightly different to stopping a foreign nation mining your citizens data. 

I think it goes cheaper than that, and their intent behind it. China bans pretty much every non-state ran platform, in an attempt to essentially keep their population from reaching their outside world, so they have total control and domination over their population.

Where as the idea of banning malicious apps like Tic Tok is purely to stop powerhouses like China.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

28 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

On the other hand, this means that most chat apps become anonymized. You might not like having imageboards everywhere (it's not an issue for me however).

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition