Titanfall is a 21GB Download, 48 GB Installed

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/25/titandall-is-a-21gb-download-48gb-installed/

Responding to a question from a fan, Respawn Entertainment’s Vince Zampella said on Twitter that the PC version of Titanfall’s will be a 21 gigabyte download, and will take up a whopping 48 gigabytes when installed.

Wow, that is huge. Especially when you consider that it is running on the source engine and actually doesnt look much better than a 10-15 GB COD: After MW1. Just for comparison: BF3 with all expension packs is 42 GB, BF4 in its current state with two dlcs is 35 GB and the source engine based game CS:GO is 7 GB.

I have been thinking about getting another ssd for quite some time now. Well, I guess 13th of March is deadline. 

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

It's 30GB of DLC.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Damn i hope those are big ass textures

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It just amazes me that what, like 15 maps (I think) is bigger than WoW, which is around ~20-25 GBs.

Pretty crazy, must be huge textures, or maybe some really terrible compression of them.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

So I guess we'll see if there's enough content to merit the size or if this is another "appear more next gen" type of deal where they just uncompress shit to pad out the install size.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Guess I'm going to have to get another hard drive.

it's because the source engine requires lossess sounds for their engine... So yeah everything is massive when it's in .flac

Titanfall The Game: Highest Quality

It just amazes me that what, like 15 maps (I think) is bigger than WoW, which is around ~20-25 GBs.

Pretty crazy, must be huge textures, or maybe some really terrible compression of them.

The demo was almost 8 gigs of audio

Damn i hope those are big ass textures

No it uncompressed audio

No it uncompressed audio

well that explains why it sounded that good compared to other game these days, still looking forward to it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It makes sense to me. The source engine I do not think was ever made with a game like Titanfall in mind. The amount of particle effects, detail of textures, and animations all add up. I do not at all think it is that crazy.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

My 250gb ssd is crying right now 

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

it's because the source engine requires lossess sounds for their engine... So yeah everything is massive when it's in .flac

No it uncompressed audio

Not true. The source engine supports MP3 as well as XMA, both of which are lossy compressed audio.

How come a lot of new games are so bloated? Why did we all of a sudden double the storage needed for games?

I feel bad for the Xbone users with their non-upgradable 500GB HDD. If games continues to be this big they might only be able to install ~10-15 games on their consoles (even less if they want to save movies and stuff like that on it).

Good thing I have 80 down.
:D

As a side note, my hard drives are ready. 

7cOLh.png

COMIC SANS

wow are u saying the tooth fairy gives a 4tb hdd instead of money?  :D

When it's on, it keeps your pillow nice and warm for you in the cold winters.

So I was right: it is something stupid like no compression. I just can't believe you can't modify an engine to play mp3 files or ogg or whatever other compressed format. The quality difference vs the space difference does not justify 40 fucking gbs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So I was right: it is something stupid like no compression. I just can't believe you can't modify an engine to play mp3 files or ogg or whatever other compressed format. The quality difference vs the space difference does not justify 40 fucking gbs.

Perhaps some back-room deals are going on between hard drive makers and game developers?  :ph34r:

Perhaps some back-room deals are going on between hard drive makers and game developers?  :ph34r:

If only: A 128gb microsd was just announced for 120 bucks when a 128 SSD is still roughly 100? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

that wouldn't even fit on my old laptops harddrive haha. 48GB does seem a bit excessive even for a modern game. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

that wouldn't even fit on my old laptops harddrive haha. 48GB does seem a bit excessive even for a modern game. 

I wouldn't call any source engine game "modern"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wouldn't call any source engine game "modern"

I'm pretty sure the date a game is released is what classifies it as modern, not the game engine.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I'm pretty sure the date a game is released is what classifies it as modern, not the game engine.

No, it classifies as a new release, a 10 year old engine doesn't classifies as "modern" to me no matter how much make up you put it on it, see the Call of Duty series and it's continued usage of the Quake 3 Engine.

-------

Current Rig

-------