Shame on you, Apple! – 13” MacBook Pro 2020 Review

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

chrome is used more over safari. Everyone who I know who uses a mac mainly used chrome or Firefox.

Final Cut has lost all its advantages other that the ultra quick render times (background rendered) over resolve 16 and PP is catching up. Some people also use PP so that they can link AE clips without having to render a bunch mid project.

Everyone I know uses safari, mainly because it's baked in and works a hell of a lot better plus better efficiency etc. 

It's also more stable. You can also use apple motion.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

9 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Or on some macbook pro's the 1.7v data line that goes to the cpu sitting right next to a 52v backlight power line straight under the trackpad with no chokes between the CPU and the data line meaning that if there happens to be moisture there, you could have 52v sent straight to the cpu killing it, I haven't seen any other laptop design that puts a 52v backlight right next to a line that goes to the cpu. 

are you drunk? 52v in a laptop? you must be drunk there is no way you can actually believe that. 

She/Her

5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I really doubt people would complain if the MacBook Pro was made slightly thicker. That's what happened to the 16" (even if it's just a fraction) and got praise for it due to the benefits it provides. 

A lot of people just seem to agree that some laptops are thinner than they should be. 

why then did LMG feel the need to mention that the Air is thicker, seemingly giving the Pro compliments for being thin. or did i nor understand that correctly? 

She/Her

3 hours ago, Kaloob said:

May not be 52V, but it's enough to fry the CPU.

The schematic he uses mentioned a 50 on the line (I think) he was talking about, so I assume it's still 50V, which doesn't make things much better...

i knew already that it was a louis video before i even clicked on it and i refuse to watch him, so please bring me an unbiased source. 

regardless that must be a very old laptop then that was pre LED-backlight. led's run on like 1 to 3v not 50.

She/Her

28 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i knew already that it was a louis video before i even clicked on it and i refuse to watch him, so please bring me an unbiased source. 

regardless that must be a very old laptop then that was pre LED-backlight. led's run on like 1 to 3v not 50.

They are series strings of LED's, and they they do run at higher voltages. Just google it and you get the answer, from an enormous array of un-biased sources.

8 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

why then did LMG feel the need to mention that the Air is thicker, seemingly giving the Pro compliments for being thin. or did i nor understand that correctly? 

They more than likely complimented it for being beefier whilst being thinner. 

Tbh, I'd rather have it beefier in the size department as well, precisely why I liked the 16" despite the soldered memory. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Linus seems to have (partly) missed the point.

The review is focused primarily on heavy-duty work, the kind of person who'd be editing 4K videos for a living or otherwise maxing out the system non-stop.  For those people... well, yeah, get a 16-inch MacBook Pro or see if there's a Windows laptop in that form factor that will handle the workload without melting.

But there are a lot of us in that middle ground who want more performance than an Air but don't need to max out the system all day, every day.  For example, my work involves a lot of browser tabs, messaging and some image editing.  That could push an Air to its limits, but the right 13-inch Pro could easily juggle that load -- and it'd be an even better pick if I needed an external display or had to edit a video.

Don't get me wrong, I would've liked if Apple had done more with the smaller MacBook Pro, such as giving it a slightly larger screen, improving the webcam or rethinking the cooling system.  But if you're in the market for a smaller laptop with more power than an ultraportable, the 13-inch MBP would go on my short list.

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Linus seems to have (partly) missed the point.

The review is focused primarily on heavy-duty work, the kind of person who'd be editing 4K videos for a living or otherwise maxing out the system non-stop.  For those people... well, yeah, get a 16-inch MacBook Pro or see if there's a Windows laptop in that form factor that will handle the workload without melting.

But there are a lot of us in that middle ground who want more performance than an Air but don't need to max out the system all day, every day.  For example, my work involves a lot of browser tabs, messaging and some image editing.  That could push an Air to its limits, but the right 13-inch Pro could easily juggle that load -- and it'd be an even better pick if I needed an external display or had to edit a video.

Don't get me wrong, I would've liked if Apple had done more with the smaller MacBook Pro, such as giving it a slightly larger screen, improving the webcam or rethinking the cooling system.  But if you're in the market for a smaller laptop with more power than an ultraportable, the 13-inch MBP would go on my short list.

I totally agree. If I buy a mid sized van and carry it's rated load, I totally expect it to overheat every 5 miles because it wasn't actually meant to be used like that.

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I totally agree. If I buy a mid sized van and carry it's rated load, I totally expect it to overheat every 5 miles because it wasn't actually meant to be used like that.

Er, no... for one thing, it holds up under a sustained load better than the XPS 13 and outperforms it in many of LTT's tests.  The MBP runs hot, but doesn't outright choke on tasks.  If we're going to abuse vehicular analogies, it's more like the van manages to carry its rated load, but clearly has to work hard to do it (the XPS, meanwhile... well, it's struggling that much more).

Besides, to stretch that further, many people who buy a mid-sized van don't expect to hit its weight limit every day... if they do, that probably means they bought the wrong van, because they have zero breathing room.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Er, no... for one thing, it holds up under a sustained load better than the XPS 13 and outperforms it in many of LTT's tests.  The MBP runs hot, but doesn't outright choke on tasks.  If we're going to abuse vehicular analogies, it's more like the van manages to carry its rated load, but clearly has to work hard to do it (the XPS, meanwhile... well, it's struggling that much more).

Besides, to stretch that further, many people who buy a mid-sized van don't expect to hit its weight limit every day... if they do, that probably means they bought the wrong van, because they have zero breathing room.

You're stretch has described the avgerage light car transporter in the UK, 3.5 tonne rated and they weight nearly 2 tonnes unloaded. Most cars will push them to the weight limit but they don't constantly run at the edge of thermal limits and fail due to having "zero breathing room", they are just designed properly.

If Apple are going to sell a machine that will spit out whatever energy in heat, they need a cooling system that will handle that heat load, plus more, without running right on the CPU's maximum junction temp.

I don't really think the title that this video has is fair for how the machine actually performs. If the user is concerned with the heat the machine produces, they can set a more aggressive fan curve. Yes the machine runs hot, but that's not really been an issue for how many years? How many models of MacBook Pro have their been that die prematurely from heat death? It's not been many. Sure the CPUs run as hot as they are allowed, but the components around the socket are usually not in serious danger and a even slightly more aggressive than stock fan curve will keep the machine running cool in regular use. 

I also can't believe that "dust buildup" was mentioned as a mark against this MacBook Pro.....like really guys? DUST? Dust is a reality of life. I've not heard LMG mention potential dust build up as a mark against ANY OTHER MACHINE.

If it machine gets dusty, you CLEAN IT. It's not hard, a few screws and a can of compressed air. If a machines thermal compound gets dried out, you replace it. It's totally doable with all the guides and resources available to users with a simple search. 

Very disappointed with this review. So many excellent things are mentioned and it doesn't get recommended because of dust. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Apple have fallen a very long way from the quality they used to be.  If Asus or Acer can make a laptop that doesn't have a thermal tantrum underneath the CPU's thermal limit why can't apple?   What are they hoping to achieve by doing this?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

What are they hoping to achieve by doing this?

What are they losing by doing this? An LTT recommendation? Apple has never really had that before and they are fine without it. What they get though is a slim form factor and good first impressions with customers that walk into the Apple store. 

The machines look good, feel good, sound good, and perform well. Them getting hot kinda blows, I'll give you that. But it doesn't really prevent people from buying Macs. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What are they losing by doing this? An LTT recommendation? Apple has never really had that before and they are fine without it. What they get though is a slim form factor and good first impressions with customers that walk into the Apple store. 

The machines look good, feel good, sound good, and perform well. Them getting hot kinda blows, I'll give you that. But it doesn't really prevent people from buying Macs. 

If it's such a non issue why are people tripping over themselves to defend apple over a bad review (which is just one in a line of bad reviews over the same issue).

I mean lets be reasonable about this,  we can't pretend there is no thermal issue.  And sure I agree it won't effect everyone, in fact it will probably only effect a small portion of users.  But the idea of a review is to push it to it's limits and scrutinize it.   Why don't we have people defending acer when the reviews point out the flimsy weak plastic they use?  why don't we have people deflecting from razor for (insert whatever issue they have here)?  Or when HP release another fucking 720p screened laptop?  I (genuinely) don't understand what it is about apple that makes people so resolved in the face of the evidence.

We have reviews so people can make an informed decision (sure the process is not perfect, but it's better than reading the marketing material).   If we try to cover up any flaws a product might have then that doesn't do justice to the spirit in which this forum is supposed to operate I.E being a community that helps people better understand the technology they are investing in. .

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

If we try to cover up any flaws a product might have then that doesn't do justice to the spirit in which this forum is supposed to operate I.E being a community that helps people better understand the technology they are investing in. .

Nobody is saying the machines do not get hot. I am criticizing LTT for making thermals and dust buildup the crux of their negative review about this laptop when there are so many other things that they admittedly like about it. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Nobody is saying the machines do not get hot. I am criticizing LTT for making thermals and dust buildup the crux of their negative review about this laptop when there are so many other things that they admittedly like about it. 

They are indeed arguing it is  non issue or something we should ignore because sensors/fan curves/design indurance etc.

People need to just chill out and accept there is no such thing as a perfect product, they all have a flaw somewhere.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

People need to just chill out and accept there is no such thing as a perfect product, they all have a flaw somewhere.

We know, I just find it funny how the criteria suddenly changes just because it's a Mac. 

14 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

are you drunk? 52v in a laptop? you must be drunk there is no way you can actually believe that. 

52V is common for backlit screens. want to grab a multimeader and check the pin? you can hate louis but realize he knows a hell of a lot about how macbooks work and what issues they have.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes the machine runs hot, but that's not really been an issue for how many years? How many models of MacBook Pro have their been that die prematurely from heat death? It's not been many. Sure the CPUs run as hot as they are allowed, but the components around the socket are usually not in serious danger and a even slightly more aggressive than stock fan curve will keep the machine running cool in regular use. 

I also can't believe that "dust buildup" was mentioned as a mark against this MacBook Pro.....like really guys? DUST? Dust is a reality of life. I've not heard LMG mention potential dust build up as a mark against ANY OTHER MACHINE.

If it machine gets dusty, you CLEAN IT. It's not hard, a few screws and a can of compressed air. If a machines thermal compound gets dried out, you replace it. It's totally doable with all the guides and resources available to users with a simple search. 

Very disappointed with this review. So many excellent things are mentioned and it doesn't get recommended because of dust. 

the overheating has cause many GPU issues overt the years. and what it means is in 2-3 years if no software changes it will be slower as it can't turbo as high because they didn't build a good enough solution to start.

they did here because apple makes it a pain to open, already is running at the limits to thermal throttle. you let me know how many people would risk damage a macbook to fix or clean it. It is double but you think Jessica or Mike over there who bought one for college will know to do that?

Notice in the mac pro video how they were happy it was easy to clean to stop dust buildup?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

11 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you let me know how many people would risk damage a macbook to fix or clean it.

Given my first hand experience with apple and the multiple videos from different sources showing how crooked they are I certainly wouldn't. 

14 minutes ago, WI-FIultrasnoop said:

How about we all stop using apple products all together and go get a good ol nokia brick.

I still have my p4000

31 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Quit flexing over your p...

wanna see a photo?  💪

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Senpai we musn't!  I mean..don't threaten me with a good time!...

WP_20150618_001.jpg

It's little bit dusty, but still you can see all the buttons.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So that's what Borr(father of Odin/Villi/Ve)'s weapon looked like.

yep, when wielded in the hands of a master this weapon was able to call for a delivery of more bricks or just be used as one itself.

14 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

the overheating has cause many GPU issues overt the years. and what it means is in 2-3 years if no software changes it will be slower as it can't turbo as high because they didn't build a good enough solution to start.

what GPU issues? the 13" MBP has no dGPU

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

what GPU issues? the 13" MBP has no dGPU

I'm saying apples tendency to run stuff hot has created GPU issues in older machines.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs