Shame on you, Apple! – 13” MacBook Pro 2020 Review

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

I'm saying apples tendency to run stuff hot has created GPU issues in older machines.

...that's just a thing with laptops that have dGPU's in general. it happens on every laptop that has one at some point in time, because laptop gpu's run hot, they just do. this is not an apple thing, this is an industry wide thing. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

...that's just a thing with laptops that have dGPU's in general. it happens on every laptop that has one at some point in time, because laptop gpu's run hot, they just do. this is not an apple thing, this is an industry wide thing. 

Except the rest of the industry seems to have a better handle on thermals. I have a sodding desktop socketed Northwood hyper-threaded Pentium 4 in a Satellite A60. It's an inch thick and doesn't cook it's balls off. That CPU ran hot in desktop machines. Surely Apple can do better than Toshiba did 15 years ago given much lower TDP processors, better power managament and better cooling solutions.

BTW, did you google LED backlight voltages? I bet you found an answer that you didn't like ;)

4 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Surely Apple can do better than Toshiba did 15 years ago given much lower TDP processors, better power managament and better cooling solutions.

Thanks for the laugh.

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Thanks for the laugh.

Shame it's the truth. High temps will eventually kill the machine. Always running at 100% would be better for it than cyclic use which causes the PCB to expand and contract constantly. That's what killed the early Xbox 360's. An under-performing cooling system that causes so much stress on the solder than the balls started to fracture. Microsoft learned, extended the warranty period by several years as it was a design flaw, and fixed the issue on later console revisions.

17 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Except the rest of the industry seems to have a better handle on thermals. I have a sodding desktop socketed Northwood hyper-threaded Pentium 4 in a Satellite A60. It's an inch thick and doesn't cook it's balls off. That CPU ran hot in desktop machines. Surely Apple can do better than Toshiba did 15 years ago given much lower TDP processors, better power managament and better cooling solutions.

i wasn't talking about cpu's, i was talking about gpu's. apple has cpu temperature within spec on this model so that's not an argument. 

18 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

BTW, did you google LED backlight voltages? I bet you found an answer that you didn't like ;)

what do you expect me to do? @ everyone who mentioned it to me and be like YES YOU WERE RIGHT YOU CORRECTED ME ON A FACT CONGRATULATIONS I HAVE A SMALL BRAIN YOU HAVE PROVEN THIS FACT PLEASE FEEL ACKNOWLEDGED

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

i wasn't talking about cpu's, i was talking about gpu's. apple has cpu temperature within spec on this model so that's not an argument.

Erm, yes it is. As has been pointed out several times, repeatedly hitting temps that high will eventually cause failure of solder joints due to PCB expansion and contraction. Case in point, Xbox 360. Try major SMD rework without preheating the board and watch it banana itself.

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

what do you expect me to do? @ everyone who mentioned it to me and be like YES YOU WERE RIGHT YOU CORRECTED ME ON A FACT CONGRATULATIONS I HAVE A SMALL BRAIN YOU HAVE PROVEN THIS FACT PLEASE FEEL ACKNOWLEDGED

You could always make sure you actually know the facts before calling Louis a biased and unreliable source of information. By outright refusing to acknowledge anything he says, you are showing more of a bias than he does. He points out what is right infront of him, on camera, like 52V LED supplies 0.25mm away from the CPU VCore rail.

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Erm, yes it is. As has been pointed out several times, repeatedly hitting temps that high will eventually cause failure of solder joints due to PCB expansion and contraction. Case in point, Xbox 360. Try major SMD rework without preheating the board and watch it banana itself.

apple has done this since forever. my 2012 MBP, which is regarded as one of the most reliable macbooks ever made, gets to 95 degrees before the fan even ramps up at stock. i run it with a custom fancurve simply due to temps when i use it on my lap (which is almost always, i have a desktop for desk use), but the point stands. if this is such a big problem why are there macbooks all over ebay from sometimes 2008 or even older that work totally fine? 

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

You could always make sure you actually know the facts before calling Louis a biased and unreliable source of information. By outright refusing to acknowledge anything he says, you are showing more of a bias than he does. He points out what is right infront of him, on camera, like 52V LED supplies 0.25mm away from the CPU VCore rail.

i'm pretty sure everyone on the forum knows i'm biased and i would never expect anyone to believe a claim i make without a reliable source. even so, voltages on different rails that aren't touching eachother isn't a problem. if you pour water on your computer and those rails connect then yes it's a problem, but not stock. 

She/Her

13 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm pretty sure everyone on the forum knows i'm biased

Which is why I am not going to bother going any further with this conversation. When your own bias overshadows basic physics and electronics design, you're never going to accept anything else.

24 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm pretty sure everyone on the forum knows i'm biased

Are you using this as an excuse for your active ignorance?

26 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i would never expect anyone to believe a claim i make without a reliable source.

Kinda ironic of you to say this when:

1. You didn't provide sources.

2. You use personal experience as the norm/baseline.

3. You dismiss sources without even taking the time to look at them because you don't like the person delivering the information. 

Etc etc.

1 hour ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Which is why I am not going to bother going any further with this conversation. When your own bias overshadows basic physics and electronics design, you're never going to accept anything else.

i accept the fact that i was wrong about the voltage. did you see me say it again when i was corrected? 

46 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Are you using this as an excuse for your active ignorance?

nope

46 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Kinda ironic of you to say this when:

1. You didn't provide sources.

2. You use personal experience as the norm/baseline.

3. You dismiss sources without even taking the time to look at them because you don't like the person delivering the information. 

Etc etc.

if i'm asked for a source for a claim and i can't find one i will stand corrected naturally. 

She/Her

20 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

if i'm asked for a source for a claim and i can't find one i will stand corrected naturally. 

That not how it works, either what you claim is backed by evidence, or you're pulling things out of thin air.

You shouldn't rely on people calling you out for you to correct your statement, whether you're willing to admit it or not.

8 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

That not how it works, either what you claim is backed by evidence, or you're pulling things out of thin air.

You shouldn't rely on people calling you out for you to correct your statement, whether you're willing to admit it or not.

i say things out of memory, i don't look something up everytime i say something. if someone asks for a source or corrects me i'll double check. 

She/Her

6 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

well apple does it to CPU and GPUs in their AIO and laptops 100C while in spec isn't good. My HP probook doesn't hit about 75 or 80C even when fully loaded because it ramps up the fans and I can easily fix or upgrade it

Thank god mac mini and Mac pros are easy to clean. Still waiting for a mac mini pro with a D-GPU

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i say things out of memory, i don't look something up everytime i say something. if someone asks for a source or corrects me i'll double check. 

Consider double checking before making claims.

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Consider double checking before making claims.

That thinking is a novelty these days, been replaced with a claim followed by "do your own research".

24 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

well apple does it to CPU and GPUs in their AIO and laptops 100C while in spec isn't good. My HP probook doesn't hit about 75 or 80C even when fully loaded because it ramps up the fans and I can easily fix or upgrade it

Thank god mac mini and Mac pros are easy to clean. Still waiting for a mac mini pro with a D-GPU

this stupid argument again, i had an 8460p that lemme remind you is a thicc laptop, and it hit 80c almost immediately when doing something and went up to 90c+ if i did anything sustained, even after i cleaned it. 

the temps only normalized after i repasted it. these things affect all devices, even the one's you fanboy over. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

this stupid argument again, i had an 8460p that lemme remind you is a thicc laptop, and it hit 80c almost immediately when doing something and went up to 90c+ if i did anything sustained, even after i cleaned it. 

the temps only normalized after i repasted it. these things affect all devices, even the one's you fanboy over. 

I'm on a 445R G6 the g7 are identical to it. they are super slim my only complaint is the gave a 2.5in over a bigger battery and didn't give it a 16x10 screen

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I'm on a 445R G6 the g7 are identical to it. they are super slim my only complaint is the gave a 2.5in over a bigger battery and didn't give it a 16x10 screen

fine, it has a faster fancurve. i prefer apple's approach over that. i can set a custom fancurve on my macbook pro and it won'teven hit 80c under full load, on the sotkc curve it goes to 95c before ramping up. but if i set a custom curve it's loud. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

fine, it has a faster fancurve. i prefer apple's approach over that. i can set a custom fancurve on my macbook pro and it won'teven hit 80c under full load, on the sotkc curve it goes to 95c before ramping up. but if i set a custom curve it's loud. 

I can set one too but I don't need to it from factory isn't missing half the fins needed. thats my biggest issue with these macs, they want them to be quite but don't put enough fins and heat pipes to allow for that

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I can set one too but I don't need to it from factory isn't missing half the fins needed. thats my biggest issue with these macs, they want them to be quite but don't put enough fins and heat pipes to allow for that

I have an 8440p that doesn't cause nuclear fusion when it's under load, not exactly an overly thick machine either. I nearly bought a MacBook but this HP came along at less than half the price that a lower powered MacBook was demanding. No brainer really, MacBook would have had a better display but I doubt I'd be confident in it lasting. Got an i5 laptop with 8GB memory, brand new battery+charger and a brand new SSD for £90. Not a scratch or mark on it either.