Why Do Many People Still Choose Intel Core than AMD Ryzen

CRWND_12

Do you have any reasons that many people still choose intel over amd (like Linus, on his previous video)?

if they want the max gamign performance the money can get.

or they do not trust AMD because intel is more known brand.

or people are fanboys

or people just dont know what is better so they think that Intel is still the best option

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

for one its still better for games.

but look at benchmarks and se why, also some chose it because of features even do ryzen has other cool features.

but Optane being one of the bigger

edit: i would choose AMD right now though :)

There are still certain things that Intel gets right, high-framerate gaming is one of them. There are some datacenter/server functions that I've been told are better implemented on Intel platforms, but I cannot confirm that.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

well, inexpirence to overclocking, hacantosh/mac vm, and the fact games don't use all the cores usually. so the higher base clock helps. also intel's naming scheme is somewhat easier peocessor wise.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

You can ask the same question for those who use AMD too. It's not as simple as one being better than the other in every scenario; they both have their strengths and weaknesses, so to speak. This isn't necessarily the deciding factor though; brand loyalty and prominence play a large role too. Some care not to shave off 10 seconds from rendering time, or some care not of the 10 additional frames when you've an abundance to begin with. I know the latter is somewhat oversimplifying it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

because people can spend money on what ever they like?

and i feel like this is a bait thread.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

To each their own.

Some people tend to buy what they're used to/comfortable with, some people just prefer one brand over the other.

It doesn't really matter, imo, if your use case is not gonna be affected by whatever difference there is between what you buy and its competition. Performance wise at least.

Well let's see...

1) A lot of people aren't that interested in technology and don't give a damn about what is inside their computers.

2) A lot of people, the majority in fact, buys prebuilt computers and once you look into that market things aren't so clear cut. You usually don't get to pick between two identical systems except for the CPU. So one AMD system might be a completely different price and have lots of different components than an Intel system you are choosing between. With prebuilts you also get stuff like sales and special prices far more often than when you pick loose components.

3) What do you classify as "many"? When you look at Amazon's best sellers list for CPUs in the US, UK, Germany (EU) and Australia, Ryzen CPUs takes up 28 of the top 10 spots, compared to Intel who has 10. So AMD is selling WAAAAAY more CPUs than Intel when you look at the PC building market. I'd say AMD dominates the market right now, but with sales, send hand motherboards and the like, some people will still pick Intel, although as we can see those are pretty few.

4) AMD isn't all that far ahead in all segments of the market. In some segments they are far ahead, but in others they are pretty much neck and neck with Intel, so sometimes choosing between AMD and Intel is pretty much a coin flip which one is the best. Sure you can make arguments about power consumption and heat and those are valid arguments, but they only nudges AMD's processors to being a slightly better pick than Intel (again, in some categories, in some markets, for some people). I think people have been rooting for AMD so much and hate Intel so much that as soon as AMD became even 1% better than Intel, people reacted as if they were 50% better. It's almost like "oh you didn't know AMD has 2% higher performance and 3% less power consumption? What are you stupid? Why are you still considering Intel when AMD is clearly so much better! You're a fanboy!".

1 hour ago, Snowarch said:

well, inexpirence to overclocking, hacantosh/mac vm, and the fact games don't use all the cores usually. so the higher base clock helps. also intel's naming scheme is somewhat easier peocessor wise.

Fun fact: You can Hackintosh an AMD system just as easily as you can an Intel one. I'm currently running macOS 15.3 on my PC.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, CRWND_12 said:

Do you have any reasons that many people still choose intel over amd (like Linus, on his previous video)?

I partially agree and disagree on his views. You shouldn't choose a product based on the brand alone, especially in this industry. What does actually change to you "the customer" if you're using Intel or AMD? Nothing. Only the performance for your usecase and the stability should be considered as they are essentially the very same thing: x86 processors.

When I have to give advices to people, after 2nd gen and even more after 3rd gen I usually say get this AMD CPU and you're good to go but sometimes people are still better used to Intel, especially if they need a laptop and have been using the same company-related software for 20-30 years I can't easily tell them to go Ryzen. If you don't really care about the money and the vast majority of what you do is not multicore based you're still getting very well server by Intel (in the mobile world especially).

It's not like choosing Nintendo, Xbox or Playstation for your next console where aside from the hardware there are many more factors in play (where do your friends play? do you already have a library of compatible games? etc..) or even AMD vs NVIDIA GPUs where there are drivers at play and a lot of other things...

CPUs are complex, but somehow they are the most simple thing to consider because they are literally the same thing manifacturer vs manifacturer

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

if they want the max gamign performance the money can get.

or they do not trust AMD because intel is more known brand.

or people are fanboys

or people just dont know what is better so they think that Intel is still the best option

A lot of people think of gaming as Intel and not AMD. Back when AMD was extremely bad, Intel was king. Maybe that still sticks decades later.

1 hour ago, CircleTech said:

Wolf's Big Dude Blade Baits | Custom Jigs & Spins

image.jpeg.b64a98fb02c6758bac6d880955eafccf.jpeg

gotta go bigger fish haha

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, Worstcaster said:

That is technically a lure.  This is bait:

hooked-minnow.jpg

Now that I'm done watching 4 hours of lure vs bait fishing comparison videos....

My Boss who is was an ME in the army and made a career change to CS, who just built his own house ( bought many of the heavy equipment etc ) who developed a lot of our system software for a business that has revenue in the billions ... buys HP.  He recently bought a new HP laptop, has a HP desktop at home.  Why do you ask, would someone who has a ton of knowledge in electronics/computers/technology buy HP?  Because he bought one once and never had an issue with it (allegedly), he also doesn't video game or do other demanding tasks at home. 

I have a friend that only buys Intel and he OC's the crap out of it to squeeze every frame so he can play csgo and pubg at minimum specs in 1080P.  He cares more about that extra 1 fps and will pay hundreds more for it and has no use for extra cores he will never utilize

I just upgraded from a 3770k to an 3900x because I want the extra cores for work related stuff.  Everyone has their reasons, the main thing is competition is great, it gives everyone choice.  Money also isn't a factor for many people and CPUs are luxury goods not essentials for most people.

32 minutes ago, waterfish said:

He cares more about that extra 1 fps and will pay hundreds more for it and has no use for extra cores he will never utilize

You just described 99% of this forum.

I actually had someone tell me that an "inherent" part of having consumer electrics as a hobby is buying new stuff. I find the whole mindset so bizarre.

It's like the people who got mad at AMD for not supporting Zen 3 on motherboards. I can get being mad at them for being misleading and/or breaking promises, but there were so many people going "I just bought a Ryzen 2 processor and was planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 3 next year!". Like seriously, do you actually need to upgrade your processor every year? And why are you already planning on buying things you don't even know how they perform yet? Why not buy what you need today and then stick with that until you feel like it no longer serves you that well. If you bought a processor you feel like you need to upgrade a year later, then you bought the wrong processor to begin with.

I get it. It's fun and feels rewarding to buy new shiny things. But maybe people, especially in the consumer electronics space, should cool it down a little on the whole mindless consumerism. Listen to Linus:

Sometimes I do wonder about the wider impact that I am having on the world and whether it's a legacy that I am going to be proud of. Those of you who know me personally, which is very few of you probably, know that while I do have a studio full of flashy toys and cool gear, those are not the sorts of things I would actually buy for myself.

[...]

As I grow older I am finding the type of mindless consumerism that our videos, whether I like it or not, end up promoting more and more troubling.

5 hours ago, CRWND_12 said:

(like Linus, on his previous video)?

There's a thread for discussing that video, HERE.

BTW, we had to remove 3 pages of derailing and insults from that thread, apparently it's hard for some people not to care about other's opinions and spending habits ... so we're not going to repeat that here.

Also, as per the Community Standards (though in that case it would be AMD vs Intel) ;

No trolling or flame-bait.

• This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.

If someone decides to buy Intel (in this specific case), why would it matter to you? They are spending their money on their own build, if you think they would be better served with another platform, you can explain and present them with options, but please don't go further than that, especially if they double down and say that Intel is what they want.

* thread locked *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

If someone decides to buy Intel (in this specific case), why would it matter to you? They are spending their money on their own build, if you think they would be better served with another platform, you can explain and present them with options, but please don't go further than that, especially if they double down and say that Intel is what they want.

Well it does actually matter if people buy products you don't like. I don't think Intel vs AMD is a good example of this but let's assume that I dislike phones without a headphone jack. I do not want to buy phones without headphone jacks (hypothetical situation which may or may not reflect my actual views).

So in order to protest the trend of smartphone makers removing the headphone jack I "vote with my wallet" and don't buy those phones. Let's say a lot of people share my opinion and also dislike phones without a headphone jack, but those people do not "vote with their wallets", cave in and buys smartphones anyway.

All of a sudden, me voting with my wallet does not have the same effect anymore, because smartphone makers are getting the signals that "people are okay with the removal of the headphone jack".

Voting with your wallet only works if everyone does it. That's why other peoples' purchasing decisions can actually have a negative impact on you.

But again, that does not really apply to Intel vs AMD.

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

thread locked? thonking

Derp

43 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

*snip*

That wasn't my point. People that want to vote with their wallet have all the right to do so, but that stops at berating people that don't follow. As I said, the thread about the video is still up and a discussion can happen there, but derailing the thread to shit on people that don't agree, to the point were we had to remove 3 pages? Yeah, that's a big no.

* real thread lock *

A discussion about that can happen in the thread I linked earlier, as long as it remain civil.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !