Your Folding Rig(s)

I'm thinking of salvaging old parts from my previous builds . In order to build a gpu folding pc :)

electricity isn't a problem , because i have it for free :D

(i work for power distributor )

I would just have to get my hands on cuda - opencl graphic cards .

As what i have is too old :\

I checked places like Kijiji, craigslist and ebay for used ones and get those cheap. That gets you the best bang for the buck.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Unfortunately Kijiji isn't available in Poland and on craigslist ( polish version ) you find there is not a lot to choose from , and if you find something abroad ...people dont send to europe... :D
well i`m stuck with ebay and allegro.pl ( somthing betwen Kijiji and ebay ) :D
But i'm sure i will find something :)

5130 is an old dual core - so with a pair, you have 4 cores - but here is the trick. You need a somewhat expensive board and ECC ram. Mucho expensive. PPD wise... I think my 3570k will destroy them. :) I have a 4 core Xeon system at work running right now, similar age - gets about 10k PPD. But, I didn't have to pay for it, so that is the only reason I have it. :)

If you don't already have the parts, I wouldn't spend money on it - for "fun" and $200-$300 on ebay you can get an AMD 4P system (bunch have been linked in various threads) where they may also not get you bigadv, but will probably generate a lot more PPD then those older Xeons...

I already have the CPU's but they cost next to nothing, I'll look into the AMD's, sounds interesting

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I already have the CPU's but they cost next to nothing, I'll look into the AMD's, sounds interesting

Take a look at boards and ram then - but they may be pricey. Problem with Xeons is most required ECC memory - and getting the older stuff is actually more expensive then the newer sticks.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Here is my rig:

rbv9ev8h.jpg

Specs:

• Asus Rampage IV Extreme
  • CaseLabs STH-10
  • Intel i7-3930K
  • 32GB G.Skill RipjawZ
  • OCZ Vertex 3 256GB
  • Corsair Force 3 256GB
  • 4TB WD RE Enterprise
  • EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB
  • 3 x Alphacool NexXxos UT60 560
  • Alphacool NexXxos UT60 280
  • EK Cpu blockEK Rampage IV extreme
  • PPC Dual Uber 665 (Single Loop)(Dual Pump)
  • Bitspower 250ml pump top upgrade
  • E22 Clear Acrylic Tubing
  • Various Bitspower black fittings
  • Mayhem Pastel Ice White Concentrate
  • other misc parts

I am folding more or less 24/7 although I lose maybe 10hrs a week as I game on this machine. Can get 140kPPD on a good day average around 90-200k. Climbing my way up the ranks (should be in the top 100 in the next few days)

Thinking of adding a couple of 780ti's in this beast, that should boost the PPD a little

Here is my rig:

(pic deleted for space)

Specs:

• CaseLabs STH-10
  • Intel i7-3930K
  • 32GB G.Skill RipjawZ
  • OCZ Vertex 3 256GB
  • Corsair Force 3 256GB
  • 4TB WD RE Enterprise
  • EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB
  • other misc parts

I am folding more or less 24/7 although I lose maybe 10hrs a week as I game on this machine. Can get 140kPPD on a good day average around 90-200k. Climbing my way up the ranks (should be in the top 100 in the next few days)

Thinking of adding a couple of 780ti's in this beast, that should boost the PPD a little

Wow, yeah that would boost PPD by a lot. Keep up the good work that rig looks great!

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

I can haz 680?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Here is my rig:

Specs:

• CaseLabs STH-10
  • Intel i7-3930K
  • 32GB G.Skill RipjawZ
  • OCZ Vertex 3 256GB
  • Corsair Force 3 256GB
  • 4TB WD RE Enterprise
  • EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB
  • other misc parts

You have to get that GPU under water asap! :)

You have to get that GPU under water asap! :)

Yea, im just waiting until I upgrade my GPU's then I will buy blocks for them.

i received my cpu,s the other day will get my motherboard for my budget 4p build tomorrow so hopefully buy tomorrow night i will have it up and running :D  

i received my cpu,s the other day will get my motherboard for my budget 4p build tomorrow so hopefully buy tomorrow night i will have it up and running :D  

Awesome! Make sure you do up a build log with lots of pics so others can follow along... Let me know if you have any issues...

Wow - extreme. :) My bigger 4P unit only runs an AX850. Trust me, unless you usage some insane hardware a 750 should be great whereas a 850 would be overkill. A 1200... would really be a waste of money for two reason. First, you really do need some ridiculous hardware to even come close to requiring that monster. But the other point, PSU's now have those ratings, bronze, gold, etc, so the closer you get to 80% usage, the more efficient they get, i.e., better power usage. So, a 750 for you may be a lot better as it will also run more efficiently in your rig then a 1200 ever could...  Just some food for though. :)

Ah thats a very interesting point, i will certainly take it into consideration. When i have enough money for the AX850 i will see if i want to buy that or save for the additional AX 1200 which i admit is overkill, but who doesn't like overkill...!!! 

"Be excellent to one another" Bill and Ted

"How many people have died waiting for their Savour" Nick Arthur of Molotov Solution

Just dropped in a new GPU! 

New Specs

• CPU-Athlon X2 64 4000+
  • GPU-HD6450

I finally have more than 600 PPD a day!

Back from the dead....

I used to run a 500MHz Slot 1 P3, an NVidia TNT2 RIVA, and 256MB of RAM. xD At least I did one thing a month... Or more.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not much folding going on here, but when i do it, it is on my Gaming PC which runs an i5-2500K @ Stock speed and a GTX 560ti @ Stock speed.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

2006 Mac Mini, Dell Latitide D630, Media PC with Pentium G860, Main pc with i7-3930k @ 4.5/GTX 690 and laptop with i7-3630QM and dual 650Ms.

Spoiler

i am only folding on 2 now my gaming rig and my 3p server will be 4p soon.

gaming rig 

core i7 3770k

gtx 660ti

amd 7850

gtx 465

32gb ram

120 intel ssd

corsair 850w

4p server

3x amd opteron 8431

16gb ddr2

supermicro H8QME-2 +

700w power supply

thinking of adding a second 4p server in the near future.

I fold using my Gaming rig when im sleeping. Specs:fx8120 @4.33ghz and a gtx 770.

Since I can't play many games with my PC currently, my GPU has been folding almost everyday for the last couple months. 

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Since I can't play many games with my PC currently, my GPU has been folding almost everyday for the last couple months. 

Why is your processor WAY underclocked?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why is your processor WAY underclocked?

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure it is because of my motherboard. It was a replacement for my old mobo that died on me about 6-7 months ago. I couldn't find any AM2+ motherboards in Australia for a reasonable price so I ordered one from a Chinese seller that was a similar model to my old one. I did this without doing much research on it and the differences between my old one and this one.

To support my CPU I had to update the BIOS, that is fine and dandy. Then I noticed I was getting poor performance in CoD 4, so I tried some other games, noticed CPU-Z said the multiplier was 6.0 instead of 12.0 so my speed was reduced by half. It isn't because my temps are high. The highest temperature I have recorded was 47 while folding. It runs at 2.4GHz when idle and internet browsing. It is only when folding or gaming that it throttles.

The reason I got an AM2+ motherboard instead of just upgrading to AM3+ was because that would have cost me around $360 at the time. I saw two options Spend $60 to get the same performance I was getting last week (which was good enough at the time) or spend more than quadruple that to upgrade to a newer platform. Also around this time there was a lot of rumours about new AMD CPUs in Q3 2013, so I didn't want to spend money a CPU then a new one comes out.

Also I didn't have a job at the time. A couple weeks after the motherboard arrived and I installed it I was offered a job where I could make $60-$70 a week (work was only available for Fridays) I thought this was great, I could get myself a new headset because my old one broke and I had been using pretty shitty speakers for 4 months before that.  So I got that first, I also really needed a new GPU so I got a 7870 XT and a new PSU. I had about $200 out of the $360 I need for a 6300, new mobo and RAM when I was made redundant. So I lost my source of income for my rig. I have been looking for a new job but haven't been able to find one yet.

Sorry for the wall of text but I thought I might as well type the whole thing and either copy paste or link this to anyone else who asks.

TL;DR Mobo died got new one, new one make CPU slow.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure it is because of my motherboard. It was a replacement for my old mobo that died on me about 6-7 months ago. I couldn't find any AM2+ motherboards in Australia for a reasonable price so I ordered one from a Chinese seller that was a similar model to my old one. I did this without doing much research on it and the differences between my old one and this one.

To support my CPU I had to update the BIOS, that is fine and dandy. Then I noticed I was getting poor performance in CoD 4, so I tried some other games, noticed CPU-Z said the multiplier was 6.0 instead of 12.0 so my speed was reduced by half. It isn't because my temps are high. The highest temperature I have recorded was 47 while folding. It runs at 2.4GHz when idle and internet browsing. It is only when folding or gaming that it throttles.

The reason I got an AM2+ motherboard instead of just upgrading to AM3+ was because that would have cost me around $360 at the time. I saw two options Spend $60 to get the same performance I was getting last week (which was good enough at the time) or spend more than quadruple that to upgrade to a newer platform. Also around this time there was a lot of rumours about new AMD CPUs in Q3 2013, so I didn't want to spend money a CPU then a new one comes out.

Also I didn't have a job at the time. A couple weeks after the motherboard arrived and I installed it I was offered a job where I could make $60-$70 a week (work was only available for Fridays) I thought this was great, I could get myself a new headset because my old one broke and I had been using pretty shitty speakers for 4 months before that.  So I got that first, I also really needed a new GPU so I got a 7870 XT and a new PSU. I had about $200 out of the $360 I need for a 6300, new mobo and RAM when I was made redundant. So I lost my source of income for my rig. I have been looking for a new job but haven't been able to find one yet.

Sorry for the wall of text but I thought I might as well type the whole thing and either copy paste or link this to anyone else who asks.

TL;DR Mobo died got new one, new one make CPU slow.

I see. Kinda weird how it does that. And sorry about your job. That must be really tough.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I see. Kinda weird how it does that. And sorry about your job. That must be really tough.

It isn't as bad as it seems, I still live with my mum so I don't have to worry about rent or bills yet. Only downside so far is that I can't play games other then CiV 5, Killing Floor and Cookie Clicker. A lot of other people are more worse off than I am.

Spoiler

It isn't as bad as it seems, I still live with my mum so I don't have to worry about rent or bills yet. Only downside so far is that I can't play games other then CiV 5, Killing Floor and Cookie Clicker. A lot of other people are more worse off than I am.

That's good. And that's true. Gotta love our moms. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just dropped in a new GPU! 

New Specs

• CPU-Athlon X2 64 4000+
  • GPU-HD6450

I finally have more than 600 PPD a day!

Yea! :)