"Out of the Blue" NZXT Switch 810 Water Cooled

Whaler_99

Update - July 2013 - complete redo of the build based on res leaks, so got rid of the old stuff and basically a "new build" post here...

Setup includes:

• MSI Z77A-GD65
  • Intel Core i5 3570k
  • 16GB (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinum memory kit
  • XSPC EX360 Rad (in the top)
  • XSPC RX240 rad (in the front)
  • XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
  • Aquacomputer Aqualis Pro 450lm Resevois with LED port
  • Dazmode STORM D5 variable pump
  • Running all 7/16" ID tubing
  • Swiftech MCW82 GPU Water block and their RAM block cover (two of these)
  • XSPC Black Chrome compression fittings
  • Bitspower 45 degree rotary fittings
  • Corsair SP120 Performance Edition fans in "push/pull" setup on the top rad with matching White ring. Using the 7v down step connector
  • Noctua NF-F12 fans in "push/pull" setup on the front rad.
  • BitFenix Spectre Pro All White Blue LED exhaust fan
  • Corsair AX 850 PSU, fully modular, with the optional White Braided cables
  • NZXT Switch 810 case
  • Feser One UV Blue Coolant mix
  • iStarUSA 3x2 drive cage, aluminum blue handles
  • 2 x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
  • 3 x 1TB Hitachi 7200 RMP drives
  • Bunch of other little odds and ends...

Took a Dremel to the plate in the 5.25" bay and cut a bit out for airflow for the top mounted rad. I also cut out a bunch on the front panel to match the top panel. More uniformed look. Put in some white LED strips from NZXT in the base feet for some accent lighting and a blue LED strip in the roof to make things really pop when I want it to. Some UV LED strips in the case and all set.

System normally runs with most of the LED's off.

Removed all the drive cages in the case to get all the water cooling gear to fit. In order to accommodate all my drives I install an iStarUSA 3x2 drive cage - allows me two fit 3 x 3.5" drives in two 5.25" optical bays. And it has blue aluminum. Drive config is OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 120GB in RAID0 for the OS, then two 1TB Hitachi drives in RAID0 where all games are installed and a final 1TB Hitachi drive for all my temp files, swap, etc.

Temps on the CPU in high 20's to very low 30's. Have a modest 4.4Ghz overclock on. The video cards are amazing. When from a load temp of around 85-88 down to 35-38. Fantastic.

You can see a review on the reservoir I did, here.

Main Shot:

post-765-0-90291000-1374366160_thumb.jpg

Some build shots...

System pulled apart, loop drained, parts ripped out, figureing out where to install the new res :)

post-765-0-79198200-1374366246_thumb.jpg

Mount points for the new pump - notice the foam? Helps absorb vibration from the pump so it doesn't transfer to the case...

post-765-0-15423000-1374366250_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-86157300-1374366252_thumb.jpg

You can see here, rad mounted in the front. Now, the Switch 810 isn't specifically designed to have a rad mounted there, but it can work. I also pulled off the Corsair SP120's that were on it and replaced them with Noctua NF-F12's. You won't see these fans, and the extra static pressure should help bring down temps maybe another dregree... Also, pump and the res mounted.

post-765-0-32515400-1374366255_thumb.jpg

Hooking everything up, get ready for leak test...

post-765-0-46534800-1374366257_thumb.jpg

Let me just pause here and talk about leak tests... DO THEM!! When I put the res back together and mounted it, I did a basic fill test on it... and out poured water. Turns out, when I screwed the top back on, I must have twisted the glass just a bit, kinking the o-ring it sits on... and thus the res leaked... not so much leak, as in coolant came pouting out. :)

Hence, the importance of a leak test, especially with all other gear off. I did mine for 24 hours.

Now some pics of the finsihed build, powered on... sorry, using my phone cam and does leave a lot to be desired. In person the UV effect is simply amazing.

post-765-0-18001500-1374366703_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-37372700-1374366706_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-92313000-1374366708_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-98227100-1374366711_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-44339500-1374366714_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-03568500-1374366717_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-09102500-1374366720_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-20176800-1374366723_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-82933700-1374366725_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-16218000-1374366729_thumb.jpg

Will try and grab the wifes camera at some point and get a few better shots, esp of the UV effect...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Sounds great. Can't wait to see pics

i have the switch 810 too really good case for watercooling but y no rx360 in roof

I got the EX360 as part of a kit I bought to start with. So added in the RX240 in the bottom...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I have a bunch actually - what the pics show is basic UV lighting. This is my "stealth" mode that in run in most of the time. Inside the case are two BitFenix fans with Blue LED's and the fan on the front are the same. They are hooked up to the Hydra Pro controller, which can also turn the LED's on and off. As well, Blue LED strip in roof. So, when I want it bright, I just turn them all on. :)

The build looks very nice! I love the LEDs!
Thank-you sir!

• 3 months later...

nice :) whats your voltages for 4.4? 38 load for the graphics cards or cpu? thats very low for the cpu

Looks good, one question though, does going to a rad between the GPU's make alot of difference in heat?

that looks great. 

Any picks of that front panel? looks interesting

• 2 months later...

Well... the second XSPC res is toast... so... Turns out with talking with some folks, many of the glues used on acrylic res only support up to about 50C sustained water temps. Well, I fold on this system as well, so my average water temp is.. 61C, even with 600mm of rad space.

So, been looking for a solution and found this:

http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=2917

This may be the one. It came into today and this thing is totally awesome. The glass itself is just so solid. Course, I also had to buy a new pump as well, so... Going to be ripping some parts out this weekend, redoing the whole loop. I will post up some new pics. Also adding in some new UV lighting, new LED fans, etc..

That qua res is awesome. Nice build...sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Do you have a better shot of the front?

Just my opinion here: I would like the case more if the window was squared off and didn't show the drive bay structure.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I will be updating with more pics and yes, the weird angle showing all the upper bays is a bit weird...

Awesome build :DD i should mod that crossfire bridge though

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome build :DD i should mod that crossfire bridge though

At some point I will pull it out and wrap it - I did get some white di-noc...  Right now, just trying to get running without leaking :)

Updated - updated build and pics...

Nicely done.

I was wondering where my blanky was.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Right there :)  Actually I use old towels, the collect some of the steel bits as I drill and protect my desk when I cut stuff, then bundle it up and toss it out. :)

Some updated ones I took tonight... Case sits on the floor, at the side of my desk. Turned off the lights to try and capture the glow... also turned on the "base" white lights at one point, hence why brighter..

post-765-0-84203400-1374375260_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-33594200-1374375264_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-20507400-1374375267_thumb.jpg

Looks really good!

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

looking good!

CPU: i5 4670K, Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB, GPU: Asus 280X, Case: Fractal Design XLR2, SSD: 840 evo 120GB, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate, PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

Thanks! I could have cleaned up some of the tubing runs, but I wanted it more "out there" to take advantage of the UV coolant and the glow...

Nice, I like it. :)

Thanks! I could have cleaned up some of the tubing runs, but I wanted it more "out there" to take advantage of the UV coolant and the glow...

Hehe, the tube routing (and the w/c loop in general) kind of gives off an old school water cooling

vibe, at least to me. Reminds me a bit of my early w/c loops many years ago (by which I'm not trying

to imply that it's bad, it just takes me back to the old days). Since I'm a nostalgic guy by nature:

bonus points from me... :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 2 months later...

Well, pretty big update... I finally got a 780 for this rig - so need to pull out the two 6870's, put a block on the 780 and tie it in. The other issue, looks like something went wacky with the last bottle of Feser coolant, got some gunk in the res, so will need to do a complete flush as well...  So, next few posts will through up some pix and such of the work involved. 

Just an FYI in case anyone is wonder, I ran the 780 under full load, Folding, in another rig before pulling it apart to water cool it, making sure it works ok.

First up - drain the loop... Always fun...

Notice the gunk in the res... basically just goo - probably the additive to add the UV effect and die color.

post-765-0-47557400-1380948689_thumb.jpg

Here is a closer shot... nasty...

post-765-0-40140000-1380948987_thumb.jpg

Completely tore down the res, cleaned it with regular water, then rinsed twice with distilled, and voila...

post-765-0-65439200-1380948692_thumb.jpg

Getting all the fluid out. I specifically disconnected things so the liquid in the res wouldn't go back through as I was flushing, and also this will make it easier later to hook the res up to the pump and flush cleaning fluid through.

post-765-0-05541300-1380948704_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-55387900-1380948708_thumb.jpg

And now with the 6870's pulled out...

post-765-0-17858000-1380948712_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-59572000-1380949041_thumb.jpg

Was funny, as I was working away, gabbing parts, mucking about, I tidied up my fans a bit, so took this shot... these are all my "extra" fans right now... hmm.. maybe I horde to much??

Let's see, we got some various Noctua's, some BitFenix Spectre Pro LED, some Phanteks, more BitFenix Spectre's, bunch of NZXT and oh ya, bunch of Corsair...

post-765-0-02498800-1380949187_thumb.jpg