What is Your Take on RGB Lighting?

jronnquist

The Asian junk-export shadow economy has been RGB-ing its ride-on cars and other rip-offs to death since long before the LED revolution. But how did it work its way into serious PC gaming? My personal opinion is that it looks - well - cheap. I just cringe every time I see all that red, green and blue. 

Now white is a different story. I have three white LED fans in my case, an AIO water block with the Corsair logo back-lit in white, and even bought two sticks of white (not LED) RAM to go alongside the the two black modules. Were these components full RGB, I would probably tinker with a few other single colour schemes, but white looks the best in my opinion. 

So I'm not against the idea of modding a PC for ego as well as frame rates. I just don't get the rainbow circus thing, which seems to be the more dominant approach by far. 

What say you?

Built a mid-range game-cruncher to run MS Word and Chrome because doing anything else just wouldn't have felt right. I've got 250 Watts of power that I don't need, 24 Gigabytes of RAM that I will never use, 8 unemployed threads and I'm happy.  

If I was going to get a build with rgb, it would be a static color with low brightness just to create a theme for my build and not for rgb rainbow barf. 

Except for people who use RGB for a static colour, I think it looks like crap.

Pick a colour scheme for your build and get/mod components that match.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Imo RGB is awesome because of the ease of customization.  Some people will want the rainbow vomit, but for those that don't they can choose a solid colour, have it switch between several, or turn the lights off.  Very few people will go to the trouble of painting or customizing their PC in a more permanent way, but with RGB almost anyone can have some easy personalization.

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

If I was going to get a build with rgb, it would be a static color with low brightness just to create a theme for my build and not for rgb rainbow barf. 

Rainbow barf! That's the phrase I was looking for. 😂

Built a mid-range game-cruncher to run MS Word and Chrome because doing anything else just wouldn't have felt right. I've got 250 Watts of power that I don't need, 24 Gigabytes of RAM that I will never use, 8 unemployed threads and I'm happy.  

I have it. Didn't really go out of my way to get it, but I do have it all set to one color at a time and next time I'm home going to work on dimming it if I can. I'm not against it at all as long as it's not the color changing seizure experience people like. Just like anything else it can be done in a tasteful way. If I feel like having dark blue one day and dark green the next I can without swapping out parts to change a color scheme if that makes sense.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

"...color changing seizure experience..." 

Ha ha ha ha.....HA HA HA HA!

I love how customizable it is, and what games and other applications can do with it.

For example, if you allow it to, Civ VI can change your RGB lighting color while you're playing.  Most of the time, it matches the theme color of your civ.  It turned your lights red during war and (maybe) gold during a golden age.

The default rainbow barf is overwhelming and usually looks stupid imo.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

2 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

For example, if you allow it to, Civ VI can change your RGB lighting color while you're playing.  Most of the time, it matches the theme color of your civ.  It turned your lights red during war and (maybe) gold during a golden age.

Now that I did not know. Interesting. 

I hate it. I prefer a static color. I've had white lights with a mostly black build for 5 years now. my board doesn't seem to any white lights so I can't get a very good white out of it.

RGBW or RGBAA is better but not perfect.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

rgb stands for really good build

Some people say rgb increase fps too.

I was initially against it, then I got a byski block with built in rgb at a good price and thought I might as well plug it in

Now I've gone full rgb

It is of no interest to me outside functional keyboard lighting, which I use to highlight keys that do certain things.

I have made keyboard lighting profiles for Skyrim, Kerbal Space Program and a few others. They help me quickly remember what keys to what, especially when games have lots of key binds like flight sims.

Everything else has its lights turned off or don’t have lights in the first place.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz