WhatsApp says its forwarding limits have cut the spread of viral messages by 70 percent

Windows9

The spread of “highly forwarded” messages on WhatsApp has dropped by 70 percent as a result of the company’s new forwarding limits, TechCrunch reports. The new measures were introduced at the beginning of April in response to the spread of coronavirus-related misinformation on the service. The changes meant that any message that’s already been forwarded by five or more people can now only be forwarded to a single person or group.

The news means that WhatsApp’s new limit is successfully slowing down the spread of viral messages, despite the fact that people still have the option of manually forwarding a message to multiple people or groups. However, it’s impossible to know how many of these messages contain the misinformation that WhatsApp is trying to halt, versus how many of them are helpful advice or harmless memes.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/27/21238082/whatsapp-forward-message-limits-viral-misinformation-decline

How does whatsapp know if the messages aren't being sent when they are supposed to be encrypted. 

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

1 minute ago, Windows9 said:

How does whatsapp know if the messages aren't being sent when they are supposed to be encrypted. 

it’s impossible to know how many of these messages contain the misinformation that WhatsApp is trying to halt, versus how many of them are helpful advice or harmless memes.

Do you read the quotes you post? You had a question at the end of a previous thread of yours that was answered by the quote you posted too.

Anyways, I'll forward this information to all of those I know (otherwise I might get 5 years of bad luck!)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Do you read the quotes you post? You had a question at the end of a previous thread of yours that was answered by the quote you posted too.

Anyways, I'll forward this information to all of those I know (otherwise I might get 5 years of bad luck!)

🎶FORWARD THIS MESSAGE ON TO EVERYBODY🎶

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Honestly the issue is still more prevalent on email and forums.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

36 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Honestly the issue is still more prevalent on email and forums.

People still forward stuff like this on email? My email is limited to promotion offers from companies which I haven't blocked and actual relevant emails from people.

That's an F in the profile pic

@minibois It said WhatsApp could not differentiate between a meme and a viral message, what I am saying is how do they know it is a viral message : it could just be a normal message

12 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

@minibois It said WhatsApp could not differentiate between a meme and a viral message, what I am saying is how do they know it is a viral message : it could just be a normal message

I'd imagine that there would be a certain variance to normal messages - misspellings, additional spaces, punctuation, alternative spellings (for example using "s" instead of "z", "ou" instead of "o") or new lines whereas "viral" messages would be identical.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just now, Fetzie said:

I'd imagine that there would be a certain variance to normal messages - misspellings, additional spaces, punctuation or new lines whereas "viral" messages would be identical.

But they're encrypted so how would whatsapp know if they're identical

If you write "OMG LOOK AT THIS" and I do too, then the hash of that message will be the same. Plus at some point they will need to be decrypted.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

@Fetzie But everyone has different keys and they're encrypted on the user end. If whatsapp decrypts it for itself then there would be no point of encryption in the first place

@Fetzie But everyone has different keys and they're encrypted on the user end. If whatsapp decrypts it for itself then there would be no point of encryption in the first place

And if the message is hashed before being sent and encrypted because it triggers some AI built into the client?

Just now, Fetzie said:

And if the message is hashed before being sent and encrypted because it triggers some AI built into the client?

IMO AI in the client defeats the purpose of encryption

4 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

IMO AI in the client defeats the purpose of encryption

My understanding is that the message is not encrypted until you press "send". The client would therefore have ample opportunity to compare it to "known bad messages" and prevent you from forwarding it to a group.

7 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

The client could be sending a hash of the message to the receiving end to confirm the decrypted message is correct.

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

People still forward stuff like this on email? My email is limited to promotion offers from companies which I haven't blocked and actual relevant emails from people.

Yeah, but I guess it's because a lot of email accounts are hacked.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

🎶FORWARD THIS MESSAGE ON TO EVERYBODY🎶

You sir are a legend :D.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Fetzie said:

My understanding is that the message is not encrypted until you press "send". The client would therefore have ample opportunity to compare it to "known bad messages" and prevent you from forwarding it to a group.

Yup.

2 hours ago, Windows9 said:

WhatsApp is closed source so you just have to trust that they don't make copies of your message before you delete it or anything.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

32 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

platforms shouldn't be publishers.

But they can and should take measures to prevent the spread of disinformation. If I started sending out messages telling people to move the voltage switch on the PSU from 240 to 110v as it "doubles the power going into the cpu and makes it twice as fast", you can bet that enough people will try it to make it a serious danger. A bunch of people were trolled into yanking their landline junction boxes from the wall as it was "a secret 5G weapon".

Remember the microwaved iPhones?

3 hours ago, Windows9 said:

AFAIK, they don't, the new rule applies to many message. All they need is a counter that goes with the message and adds 1 when you press "forward". Copy-pasting in a new message would reset the counter in that case. 

We still don't know if this is slowing down anything. 70% could simply mean that people now receive the same message 3 times from multiple sources instead of 10, but it still reaches the same number of people, for all we know. 

Next Natural Diaster, Facebook is going to low the liability problems they'll cause. Wrong Death Suits do exist. 

Also, does this mean that they've been monitoring all of the actual information in the supposedly secure messages?

4 hours ago, Fetzie said:

If you write "OMG LOOK AT THIS" and I do too, then the hash of that message will be the same. Plus at some point they will need to be decrypted.

FWIW, any secure encryption scheme*, including the encryption scheme used by WhatsApp (the Signal Protocol) does not transmit the hashes of the raw message in plain text, so it isn't possible to see from the ciphertext whether two messages are identical.

* In cryptanalysis, the bare minimum security for a cipher, which is called Chosen Plaintext Attack security or CPA, requires that an attacker can't tell whether two encrypted messages have the same or different plaintexts.

HTTP/2 203

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

But they can and should take measures to prevent the spread of disinformation. If I started sending out messages telling people to move the voltage switch on the PSU from 240 to 110v as it "doubles the power going into the cpu and makes it twice as fast", you can bet that enough people will try it to make it a serious danger. A bunch of people were trolled into yanking their landline junction boxes from the wall as it was "a secret 5G weapon".

Remember the microwaved iPhones?

you would be in your right to send that message, and people would have to have the responsibility  to think for themselves.

and who defines what disinformation is?, take the current epidemic as an example the WHO where spreading wrong information about how there was no human to human transmission, and how travel shouldn't be stopped, all the while taiwan was warning about it, the "fix" is to listen to the most information possible 

I know a lot of people who use WhatsApp and there is a lot of coronavirus related stuff going around, I’m not sure if it’s forwarded or not though. Because I don’t know what the truth is in this case I don’t know if it’s false information.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

On 4/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, cj09beira said:

you would be in your right to send that message, and people would have to have the responsibility  to think for themselves.

and who defines what disinformation is?, take the current epidemic as an example the WHO where spreading wrong information about how there was no human to human transmission, and how travel shouldn't be stopped, all the while taiwan was warning about it, the "fix" is to listen to the most information possible 

People don't think for themselves, that's the problem. People also don't understand what they are being told, so they cherry-pick what they can figure out (or what they want to believe) and spread that. The WHO has also changed their advice as understanding of the virus increased, science does that, viral messages containing bullshit don't.

By the way, if you think spreading dangerous and potentially lethal advice to people who don't, and dont need to know better should be a "right", then you are very mistaken. That thinking is causing outbreaks of measles and other preventable illnesses.