Good budget prebuilt

Doug H.

Hi, I have been looking for a new computer for my son and he told me this is a good place to ask questions. His old computer runs at over 100 degrees and barely plays games he says. He says he wants rtx but I looked it up and it is extremely expensive especially with corona. I can’t build computers so does anybody know any good already built ones with rtx that aren’t very expensive. I just don’t want tI make him sad. Thanks.

There's no such thing as a cheap RTX prebuilt. You're paying 300-900$ more for a pre built

Budget and country?

What's in the old one? Depending on the hardware, it might be just fine to carry on with after an easy upgrade or two. 100C means it's dirty, not that it's obsolete.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Doug H. said:

Hi, I have been looking for a new computer for my son and he told me this is a good place to ask questions. His old computer runs at over 100 degrees and barely plays games he says. He says he wants rtx but I looked it up and it is extremely expensive especially with corona. I can’t build computers so does anybody know any good already built ones with rtx that aren’t very expensive. I just don’t want tI make him sad. Thanks.

Building it yourself is simple and easy enough that you could literally ask somebody to help you build it over video chats. Manufacturers get components for less than msrp most of the time, the charge a "build fee" and fees for things that thye can easily profit off, such as a $100 windows 10 license, when they purchase it for >$25. The cheapest reasonable RTX build you could buy & build is $800-1100, depending on your region, while the cheapest I've seen any manufacturer do it for is $1250 ($150 "off")

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

8 minutes ago, Doug H. said:

Building it yourself is simple and easy enough that you could literally ask somebody to help you build it over video chats. Manufacturers get components for less than msrp most of the time, the charge a "build fee" and fees for things that thye can easily profit off, such as a $100 windows 10 license, when they purchase it for >$25. The cheapest reasonable RTX build you could buy & build is $800-1100, depending on your region, while the cheapest I've seen any manufacturer do it for is (I changed it now lol, learning new things) is about $1000 on a small sale. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

4 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

welp. I forgot to check dell/hp and those websites. I mainly checked like ibuypower, cyberpower and the likes. I mean, the G5 is in all honestly really shitty though. Nearly half the components are proprietary to dell, and nearly all of them are cheap af (I just membered a (I think linus lol) vid about the g5 or one of its brethren).

To me it sounds like Your son is gaming you.  Rtx is basically useless for everything, but it DOES only come on one particular type of video card (which has nothing to do with cpu which is what he is claiming is so hot) and only on their more expensive models.  What he’s saying is “I want something really expensive and I know you know nothing about computers”. I’m kinda curious what machine he has now.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Doug H. said:

Right now he has a i3 2120 and Radeon hd 7770 with 8 gb of memory. 

There is no way an i3 2120 can get over 100 degrees. 🤦‍♂️

It could hit ~80 degrees but that's only in stress tests.

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

Idk MSI afterburner said 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also, If I did build a pc, this is what I came up with. 

not my first choice cause I have no experience but it’s still an option.

1 minute ago, Doug H. said:

Idk MSI afterburner said 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also, If I did build a pc, this is what I came up with. 

not my first choice cause I have no experience but it’s still an option.

Hmmm...what CPU cooler was he using? A picture would be nice :)

You can find a 5700XT on Amazon for $30 less than the 5700 in the list.

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

OP What kinda budget do you wanna stick to? What one person finds expensive others might not. If you answered this above I apologize  but I didnt see it

I was hoping 900 or under, because I could finance that and it would be reasonable

An RTX card starts at $400, so . . . .  you could look at the used market . . . not many there though. 

But as far as I can tell, you know enough to build a computer.  Because if you know enough to make the part list as you seem to have done, you know enough to build a computer.  Just make sure you add a copy of windows - however and wherever you want to pay for it.

My only suggestion is to get a NZXT 510 instead. (They currently have free shipping if you buy from NZXT.)  It's $70, which is 6 dollars more, but it does come with the 2 fans you need already installed, and the build quality is top-notch.  DIY is not known for quality.

A cheaper way would be to upgrade your son's current computer if that is possible.

I know from experience that memory speed is not that important for a 9400f processor.  If you can save money getting 2666 Hz memory, it will work just fine.  It works fine with my 2070 super.  

38 minutes ago, Doug H. said:

I was hoping 900 or under, because I could finance that and it would be reasonable

Ok, friends don't let friends finance gaming PCs. You said i3-2120 and an HD 7770. That means you're on a Sandy Bridge board. That board can take an i7-2600. Those are about $70-80. An i7-2600 is still a damn fine processor in 2020. Take him up to 16GB of RAM, which will cost anywhere between $20 and $50 depending on how much RAM you have to buy. So far, we're $130 into this thing and its performance has already gone way up in everyday tasks. Now, to fix the gaming part...

GPU is a little tougher because I don't know what your son plays. RTX is useless unless he's playing high-end games that support ray tracing, and with a 7770, he's not. Honestly, in your shoes, I'd buy a used RX 480 or 580 for $120-ish (or less). It's a perfect card to pair with the 2600, it'll handle Fortnite, Overwatch, CS:GO, Skyrim, Witcher 3, all of that like a charm. For added bonus points, throw in a 1TB SSD to replace the hard drive ($100). For right around $350, $250 without the SSD, you've upgraded that computer to something that will hold him over while he goes and cuts lawns until he can afford his own RTX prebuilt for $900. And definitely clean the PC out while you're upgrading it. The only way an i3-2120 hits 100C is if literally all of the air in the case has been replaced by dust.

If you want to build something, build. I highly recommend it. But do not, please, do not finance a gaming computer. That's never a good idea.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Aldi's had some really good deals with RTX builds not that long ago, worth having a look to see if there are any still around.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Ok, friends don't let friends finance gaming PCs. You said i3-2120 and an HD 7770. That means you're on a Sandy Bridge board. That board can take an i7-2600. Those are about $70-80. An i7-2600 is still a damn fine processor in 2020. Take him up to 16GB of RAM, which will cost anywhere between $20 and $50 depending on how much RAM you have to buy. So far, we're $130 into this thing and its performance has already gone way up in everyday tasks. Now, to fix the gaming part...

GPU is a little tougher because I don't know what your son plays. RTX is useless unless he's playing high-end games that support ray tracing, and with a 7770, he's not. Honestly, in your shoes, I'd buy a used RX 480 or 580 for $120-ish (or less). It's a perfect card to pair with the 2600, it'll handle Fortnite, Overwatch, CS:GO, Skyrim, Witcher 3, all of that like a charm. For added bonus points, throw in a 1TB SSD to replace the hard drive ($100). For right around $350, $250 without the SSD, you've upgraded that computer to something that will hold him over while he goes and cuts lawns until he can afford his own RTX prebuilt for $900. And definitely clean the PC out while you're upgrading it. The only way an i3-2120 hits 100C is if literally all of the air in the case has been replaced by dust.

If you want to build something, build. I highly recommend it. But do not, please, do not finance a gaming computer. That's never a good idea.

“Damn fine” is a hair strong imho, but it’s totally fine for a 4/8 cpu.  I’ve got a 4790 equivalent (weak ass 4770k) and I’m still waiting to upgrade it.  I think I will have to soon.  I find I’m mostly playing GoG stuff though so there’s no need.  Won’t be any until games designed for the new consoles come out and they haven’t yet.

Doing a prebuilt when you’ve got that child labor who is the one benefitting and can use some training anyway seems counterproductive.  Getting parts for the kid and making him build it sounds like a good way to get the kid some building experience (and using up some probably over available child energy) while saving some cash in the bargain. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

An RTX card starts at $400

useless with that budget

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Hi, I am looking to build a pc for the first time with a budget of around $850 U.S. I want to prioritize performance and rgb is a nice touch if it is possible. I made this list and I want to see what suggestion other people have for it. Im looking to play vr games and AAA games at 1080p. Thanks! ;).

* threads merged and moved to the New Builds & Planning section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I would go with an AMD Ryzen build since Intel isn't competitive anymore.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.15 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($85.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  ($224.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.18 @ Amazon) 
Total: $847.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-21 09:02 EDT-0400

my advice to the OP is my current setup... 

find a dell 9010/9020 SFF (small tower if you want more ugradability, SFF are limited by half height PCIe cards) -i have a SFF, mounted it under my desk

toss in i7-4770/4790, if it didnt come with one (k-series can be run with a bios update)

change the thermal paste on the cpu cooler (i used kryonaut and never hit above 60' unless im running benchmarks back-to-back-to-back)

i threw in a half height GT1030 (itll play titles like rocket league, CS:GO, forza horizon 4, etc., runs fusion 360 for 3d modeling pretty well too)

or pick any other modern GPU that will fit (depends on your case choice) as it will be a huge upgrade to what you have (their is a half height 1050TI out their)

sata SSD for speed (brand doesnt really matter, just as long as it has a cache)

i also tossed in a 2tb firecuda HHDD for storage (it was on sale, and this case fits either one 3.5" drive or 2 2.5" drives)

i used only 16gb of ram (this pc accepts up to 32gb over 4 slots)

price breakdown 

$90 9020 optiplex with i7-4790 with win10 pro 64bit from marketplace

$20 kryonaut thermal paste

$?? reused 16gb of DDR3 ram from an old pc that had hard drive failure

$50 500gb WD Blue ssd (was on sale at local walmart)

$60 Firecuda 2tb HHDD (was on sale on amazon)

$80 GT1030 from microcenter 

without harddrives your looking at maybe $200

to duplicate my setup $300 + cost of ram 

honestly tho this hybrid drive is just as fast as my SSD over sata, but ive heard seagate drives are more prone to failure (ive never had one die on me)

and i purchased the SSD first as it was the size of my last pcs entire hard drive, then i saw the firecuda on sale so i had to get it.... 

im super impressed with this cheap little setup and as i said before, this would be a huge upgrade and its cheap.... 

and if you get a tower instead, you can mod a window and install all the RGB you desire (theirs youtube tutotials on this) 

and you would have like $500 left over for a graphics card... lol 

5 minutes ago, MrHaydenJr said:

my advice to the OP is my current setup... 

find a dell 9010/9020 SFF (small tower if you want more ugradability, SFF are limited by half height PCIe cards) -i have a SFF, mounted it under my desk

toss in i7-4770/4790, if it didnt come with one (k-series can be run with a bios update)

change the thermal paste on the cpu cooler (i used kryonaut and never hit above 60' unless im running benchmarks back-to-back-to-back)

i threw in a half height GT1030 (itll play titles like rocket league, CS:GO, forza horizon 4, etc., runs fusion 360 for 3d modeling pretty well too)

or pick any other modern GPU that will fit (depends on your case choice) as it will be a huge upgrade to what you have (their is a half height 1050TI out their)

sata SSD for speed (brand doesnt really matter, just as long as it has a cache)

i also tossed in a 2tb firecuda HHDD for storage (it was on sale, and this case fits either one 3.5" drive or 2 2.5" drives)

i used only 16gb of ram (this pc accepts up to 32gb over 4 slots)

price breakdown 

$90 9020 optiplex with i7-4790 with win10 pro 64bit from marketplace

$20 kryonaut thermal paste

$?? reused 16gb of DDR3 ram from an old pc that had hard drive failure

$50 500gb WD Blue ssd (was on sale at local walmart)

$60 Firecuda 2tb HHDD (was on sale on amazon)

$80 GT1030 from microcenter 

without harddrives your looking at maybe $200

to duplicate my setup $300 + cost of ram 

honestly tho this hybrid drive is just as fast as my SSD over sata, but ive heard seagate drives are more prone to failure (ive never had one die on me)

and i purchased the SSD first as it was the size of my last pcs entire hard drive, then i saw the firecuda on sale so i had to get it.... 

im super impressed with this cheap little setup and as i said before, this would be a huge upgrade and its cheap.... 

and if you get a tower instead, you can mod a window and install all the RGB you desire (theirs youtube tutotials on this) 

and you would have like $500 left over for a graphics card... lol 

It’s cute.  Do they maybe make a 1650 half height?  Would it be in budget? My 4770k running at 4790 speeds can push my rx580 no problem.