UK Slow broadband? You won't be able to switch providers to speed up your Wi-Fi anytime soon

UK BROADBAND SLOWS AND SUSPENDS NEW INSTALLATIONS

Today the UK "Daily Express" reports on how the UK's ISP Infrastructure, Openreach take drastic action to suspend ALL, NEW INSTALLS for home broadband (with few exceptions) from today amidst the outbreak of COVID-19. Many current Customer's have their stream quality downgraded to 480p without warning including Amazon Prime Video 

Netflix , Disney+ , YouTube and download speed restrictions across console gaming from Playstation Network and XBOX Live In order to ease some of the pressure on the broadband infrastructure across the UK during the public health crisis. March 31, 2020. Click the link for full story.

Screenshot_20200331-100306_Chrome.jpg

Asus Z170 Maximus VIII HeroSkylake Core i7 6700K Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Quad Channel

Asus GEFORCE GTX960 Strix 4GBZalman Z11 Plus HellfireMushkin 120gb 6g SSD 1TB Samsung HDD Corsair CX750 PSU -  SAMSUNG 40 SMART 3D TVArctic Cooling Arctic Freezer13Logitech Z5500 - Windows 10

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

UK being UK again.

Well not much you can do when your internet infrastructure is at the point of failing lol.

On the other side of the globe NZ is having the highest network demand ever and is coping fine with Chorus saying their is plenty of extra capacity. It's nice when such a large investment comes right home to roost 

Also please, for the love of everything, stop calling it "Wi-Fi". ARGH! Perpetuating stupid is stupid, journalists suck.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Well not much you can do when your internet infrastructure is at the point of failing lol.

On the other side of the globe NZ is having the highest network demand ever and is coping fine with Chorus saying their is plenty of extra capacity. It's nice when such a large investment comes right home to roost 

Also please, for the love of everything, stop calling it "Wi-Fi". ARGH! Perpetuating stupid is stupid, journalists suck.

hey even here in the US with all our data caps being lifted (we totally needed them to keep the network alive right) we still doing just fine. I'm not quite getting my full 120/120 in the day but I only pay for 100/100 so geting 85/85 is okay

don't get me started on rants of people not calling stuff the right name. I've wanted to yell at people who can't remember to call a SSD an SSD not any storage drive a HDD.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Being from the States and having been on the receiving end of "haha, your Internet sucks!" comments for a rather long time, I've gotten quite the enjoyment out of most of the EU networks throttling horribly. There's obviously still people in the States with issues (when you've got, functionally, 1000s of networks, some are bound to have issues), but I will enjoy laughing about backbones in the future.

And, yeah, I really hate the "wifi" as Access Point terminology. Been really confused when I see travelers talk about getting "wifi" all over the country they're traveling in with a device.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Being from the States and having been on the receiving end of "haha, your Internet sucks!" comments for a rather long time, I've gotten quite the enjoyment out of most of the EU networks throttling horribly.

it maybe slow but at least when everyone uses it, it doesn't get that much slower. (Said in stupid defensive tone)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This reminds me of naive journalists and tech bloggers when they say "ATM Machine" or "HBM2 memory"xD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

So far the only issues I am seeing are over loaded servers not congestion on the network  themselves. 

Trying to find graphs of other regions so I can tell if this is just a regional thing or not.

EDIT: seems the NBN is fine, slow downs are RSP/end point related.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

it maybe slow but at least when everyone uses it, it doesn't get that much slower. (Said in stupid defensive tone)

You have to break out the USA by States to get the actual picture. Reality is for total effective bandwidth, you're normally in the top 5 countries globally in most of the country. There's a few places, due to size + population density, where things are rough, but that's just part of living in Montana anyway. Business Class bandwidth, especially, is world class anywhere along the NYC to Chicago pipes, with Delware normally having the outright best network.

Though this entire event has explained the ways American Network Infrastructure has progressed. i.e. there are Data Centers everywhere to limit the pipes needed and the network switching infrastructure. Most of the EU seems to have ended up as a Hub & Spoke system with less CDNs but fairly large ones. As a result, there's a lot more flex capacity in the extremely spread out American network.

5 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

This reminds me of naive journalists and tech bloggers when they say "ATM Machine" or "HBM2 memory"xD

why can I remember the name when you add on a word that exists in an abbreviation. It is some silly English word I can't think of.

it not just journalists everyone does it.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So far the only issues I am seeing are over loaded servers not congestion on the network  themselves. 

Trying to find graphs of other regions so I can tell if this is just a regional thing or not.

Reddit has broken a few times. But it's also Reddit. I'm kind of floored we haven't had an AWS outage in all of this. That's what'll set off the rioting. 

@Deathdefyer

This topic doesn't follow correct formatting. Please add quote from article to quote box and add your own thoughts.

Edit: Thread has been moved to Networking pending edits. It will be moved back to Tech News if edits are done.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Reddit has broken a few times. But it's also Reddit. I'm kind of floored we haven't had an AWS outage in all of this. That's what'll set off the rioting. 

I wouldn't be surprised if amazon like Microsoft has containers wired and ready that need power and data that can be fast moved to global hotspots.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You have to break out the USA by States to get the actual picture. Reality is for total effective bandwidth, you're normally in the top 5 countries globally in most of the country. There's a few places, due to size + population density, where things are rough, but that's just part of living in Montana anyway. Business Class bandwidth, especially, is world class anywhere along the NYC to Chicago pipes, with Delware normally having the outright best network.

I'd expect SF/SAC-LA/SD to be better than NYC to chicago given the amount of data centers here.

16 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I wouldn't be surprised if amazon like Microsoft has containers wired and ready that need power and data that can be fast moved to global hotspots.

Microsoft has been having a rough time though, they've put strict controls on new subscriptions of Office 365 and people migrating to OneDrive and SharePoint Online. They got all pissy at us and hard throttled our entire subscription making it unusable, tried blaming the tools we were using which was a tool from a certified Microsoft partner (Sharegate). No, how about you stop overselling your infrastructure and not crap all over existing customers just so you can pick up new ones. 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Microsoft has been having a rough time though, they've put strict controls on new subscriptions of Office 365 and people migrating to OneDrive and SharePoint Online. They got all pissy at us and hard throttled our entire subscription making it unusable, tried blaming the tools we were using which was a tool from a certified Microsoft partner (Sharegate). No, how about you stop overselling your infrastructure and not crap all over existing customers just so you can pick up new ones. 

That means less money, they could never do that. Hopefully this finally teaches everyone the cloud isn’t amazing. Hell zoom seems to be just fine self hosted given their 500%+ spike. 

I’d bet companies like backblaze are just sitting not caring about the spike. 

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

hey even here in the US with all our data caps being lifted (we totally needed them to keep the network alive right) we still doing just fine. I'm not quite getting my full 120/120 in the day but I only pay for 100/100 so geting 85/85 is okay

don't get me started on rants of people not calling stuff the right name. I've wanted to yell at people who can't remember to call a SSD an SSD not any storage drive a HDD.

My girlfriend still calls my computer the screen 🤦‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

My girlfriend still calls my computer the screen 🤦‍♂️

I’m sorry you didn’t find a nerd.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

UK being UK again.

We have domestic gigabit speeds, relitively low costs and switching provider is so easy, many do it whenever the contract is due. Providers are removing data caps on mobile and broadband, giving customers free calls and doing what they can top help those that are now unemployed or have taken a pay cut and can't pay the bills. So yeh, the UK doing what the UK does, helping it's population instead of leaving people for dead in a time of crisis as they don't have medical insurance.

Honestly i haven't seen any changes and i can still stream at 4k from most services. Plus i am not on a top ISP and my speeds are not the best either. its been blown way out of control

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Being from the States and having been on the receiving end of "haha, your Internet sucks!" comments for a rather long time, I've gotten quite the enjoyment out of most of the EU networks throttling horribly. There's obviously still people in the States with issues (when you've got, functionally, 1000s of networks, some are bound to have issues), but I will enjoy laughing about backbones in the future.

Well most of Europe has had measures in place for weeks rather than just "treating it like the flu" and carrying on as normal. So yeh, with most of Europe at home working, or binging on Netflix there will be an increased demand on the infrastructure. As the UK is the Eurpoean endpoint for the transatlantic, we have the vast majority of traffic between Europe and America going through our network.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

And, yeah, I really hate the "wifi" as Access Point terminology. Been really confused when I see travelers talk about getting "wifi" all over the country they're traveling in with a device.

The OP is really unclear about whats going on. TLDR There's no large scale issue with the UK internet being reported right now. But if you want to upgrade from DSL to fibre your going to have to wait as the install of that requires an engineer to come into your home and openreach, (which does this here in the UK, Virgin Media's own fibre system aside), has suspended almost all such actions till things get better.

What happens to people who were already scheduled to switch?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What happens to people who were already scheduled to switch?

They just do it normally we all use the same infrastructure

Please excuse my spelling

1 minute ago, DarthEoin said:

They just do it normally we all use the same infrastructure

Even when something has to be done at the street level at the cabinet?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

(Apologies, I can't get spoilers to work...)

wifi-cable-the-orange-coloured-network-c

And how dare you live in a country which has had proper infrastructure planning!?

Sig under construction.