LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Soooo close to 3m points.  Less close on the WUs.  577 of those so far.

Less than 100K to hit 5M!

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

8 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Why is the even actually just ‘two weeks’ - as I hVe a bad feeling people might just fold due to the ‘competition’; as sad as that is. 

I truely hope that we will continue to fold in the numbers we are doing now!

The nature of the event makes it fun to participate for a finite period. However, this level of 24/7 electrical consumption (>38.4 kW a day for folding computers) is not economically sustainable for me. I'll consider keeping the 2080 Super folding during idle.

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

Just now, ShortRouter said:

Guess I'll just stop at 420 WU.

I mean, with your setup, that might even happen before the end of the event...

F@H    EOC

10 hours ago, Chricri said:

Hoo i 've forget about that, thanks for the reminder
Bronze, i'm comming

Check spelling or be less excited... not sure which.

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

4 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

I mean, with your setup, that might even happen before the end of the event...

My cloud setup will last me less than a week. Free credits ain't much unfortunately. Google Cloud (2x P100 GPU) chunks through 300 $ free budget in 5 days lol. Wanetd to try out some serious cloud servers to freshen up on Linux command line and maybe learn how painful/ painless those services are to work with.

22 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Do I have a problem? Maybe.. Testing 11 GPUs, 4 cloud servers and a local machine.

2x Tesla P100 Google Cloud

4x GTX 1080 Hostkey

2x GTX 1080 Cherry Servers

2x GTX 1080 Ti Hostkey (temporary, not shown)

RTX 2080 local workstation

Total: 12 Million PPD

PPD unleashed.PNG

You may have a problem. Still, your hardware's all good.

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

You may have a problem. Still, your hardware's all good.

Oh I will for sure if I forget to delete the Google VM once the free budget is done. 1600 € a month lulz.

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

Oh I will for sure if I forget to delete the Google VM once the free budget is done. 1600 € a month lulz.

HAHAHA... ya, I... wait... what?

My Stats

Just now, Zonker said:

Enterprise servers ain't cheap to rent^^ 300 $ free sounds like a lot but it's not as soon as you go ham on hardware needs.

Just now, Zonker said:

Running certain cloud configs hard gets extremely expensive fast. I'm curious to see their itemized billing to learn why it would be so much, but cloud stuff can be cheaper or lots more expensive depending on options and usage of them.

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

Enterprise servers ain't cheap to rent^^ 300 $ free sounds like a lot but it's not as soon as you go ham on hardware needs.

Well, sure... if you put it like that. *steps back slowly*

My Stats

1 minute ago, Inkertus said:

Running certain cloud configs hard gets extremely expensive fast. I'm curious to see their itemized billing to learn why it would be so much, but cloud stuff can be cheaper or lots more expensive depending on options and usage of them.

Why do this on the Cloud?

My Stats

1 minute ago, Inkertus said:

Yep, it's the GPUs, licencing and power that runs up the costs of folding servers to $$$$ a month.

Same server being used as... say a web server might only cost $$ a month.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

10 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

My cloud setup will last me less than a week. Free credits ain't much unfortunately. Google Cloud (2x P100 GPU) chunks through 300 $ free budget in 5 days lol. Wanetd to try out some serious cloud servers to freshen up on Linux command line and maybe learn how painful/ painless those services are to work with.

You can look into preemptible instance on Google cloud. They are  regularly stopped to free ressources but 1/3 of the price of standard instances. 

That the equivalent of the spot instances from AWS (I personally prefer aws system but gcloud is also nice)

BOINC - F@H

Just now, LAR_Systems said:

Yep, it's the GPUs, licencing and power that runs up the costs of folding servers to $$$$ a month.

Same server being used as... say a web server might only cost $$ a month.

Yep. GPUs would do it.  AFAIK there's no way to slice and dice a GPU like a CPU so if you want one, you get ALL of one at the full sticker price associated with that. Add in the generally higher wattage you pay power for and there's your large bill.

Also, licensing?  Windows licensing or...? That can do it too depending on the license as well.

5 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Because you can get some free usage, and it teaches you to use these cloud systems at the same time. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Yeah I think this event will "cost" about 800/900$ equivalent on my side.

(It's mostly idle ressources that are not needed / can be delayed for our projects and a Google free credit because... Why not)

BOINC - F@H

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Because you can get some free usage, and it teaches you to use these cloud systems at the same time. 

Ahhh... thank you for that.

My Stats

3 minutes ago, ffbr said:

You can look into preemptible instance on Google cloud. They are  regularly stopped to free ressources but 1/3 of the price of standard instances. 

That the equivalent of the spot instances from AWS (I personally prefer aws system but gcloud is also nice)

g4dn.xlarge spot instances are the cheapest bang for your buck. Currently running 60 of them. 

7 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Lots of reason, in my firm we have a mix of in house gpu servers and cloud services (ibm, azure, aws, gcloud)

The main reasons for us to go cloud is the variable needs, maintenance cost when, initial investment and depreciation (we consider that an equipment need to be changed  when warranty runs out....)

BOINC - F@H

3 minutes ago, ffbr said:

Yeah I think this event will "cost" about 800/900$ equivalent on my side.

(It's mostly idle ressources that are not needed / can be delayed for our projects and a Google free credit because... Why not)

Please dont talk about free credits... 😭
image.thumb.png.4c28dfbced083fbfae580333e5e1e6ff.png