LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

13 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

ance.

1251409572_googlevmpricing.PNG.2da48ebcc918485c8b321353d01f3d27.png.157ca3ccd2593d767dba24635bd2c84a.png

Using this as an example, over 2 years you could pay in the region of $37,000, hopefully the monthly price will be reduced over time so it wouldn't be quite as much as this. Let say you give yourself a $25,000 budget, I bet you could build the system in the example with all the redundancies/backups possible and have spares, even have the option of getting thousands back by sell parts if you wish, like if you wanted to upgrade.

Why would anyone ever use on-demand pricing for a job like this? (Hint: they would not) Why would anyone ever use P100 GPUs for a job like this? (again, would not). Look at some of the many cloud ROI calculators out there. I know we're a PC enthusiast crowd here and love to build fun machines but there's no serious argument that holds up for on-prem server workloads. If you do a fully burdened cost of an on-prem workload including depreciation, it's always more expensive than cloud. Heck, that's why the cloud is a $300B market growing to $1T over the next few years.  

7 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Bad folding day today. 2 of the VMs gave me trouble all day. 

Not sure if I'll be top 25 today. Tomorrow maybe...

Feelings:

giphy.gif

I see you down there in 37 on day 11 with your super high day points 😁

I think your my only threat atm and I was sure you would catch up today or tomorrow, so I've gone balls to the wall and pushing all I have to the max, but I also had a machine derp on me, only a small one though.

37 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

It's why I was pissed when my short lived welding job didn't seem to know the word "code" or anything up to it.  They even mentioned that years (no idea how many) ago they were told they had to store the flammable gas cylinders away from the oxygen ones...

They didn't know it's a bad idea to have flamables next to o2?

Wtf

7 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

Varies depending on the problem, could vary from business as usual to greatly impacted, but considering the thousands I could save over a couple of years I would be able to afford to have spares. I could have a bridged nics, dual psu's, would like have multiple gpus, raid mirroring and multiple stick of ram, any one of these failing wouldn't cause the system not to work. The problem would be cpu and motherboard, to minimize down time you would need spares on hand and this seems very manageable.

If its a defect from the manufacturer then its covered by law in the EU for 2 years minimum, never had any problems getting a replacements or a repair done in over 20 years, also any replacement is covered for an additional 2 years, so I can be beneficial for a part to die and be replaced in this 2 year period, things like accidental damage or theft is covered by house hold insurance.

Using this as an example, over 2 years you could pay in the region of $37,000, hopefully the monthly price will be reduced over time so it wouldn't be quite as much as this. Let say you give yourself a $25,000 budget, I bet you could build the system in the example with all the redundancies/backups possible and have spares, even have the option of getting thousands back by sell parts if you wish, like if you wanted to upgrade.

I'm not denying that you could have spares, I'm not denying that you could save money on building the system yourself.
It's just not what I'm seeing. I'm not talking about some enthusiast or researcher who would like such a system.

I'm talking about companies that would also have to pay someone to manage and maintain such a system. That could be an external company or an employee, it doesn't matter.
If you're running this system with 100% load from start to finish, then yes. Based on obvious cost, then it would be cheaper to buy the system yourself. Are you only running models weekly, then the machine would be doing nothing most of the time. Cloud solutions wouldn't really cost you anything when not in use. On-prem solutions still require maintenance and the less you use the machine, the longer it will take to earn it back.

Any replacement is not covered for an additional 2 years by EU law it may be where you live, but that's not guaranteed! I've never had any issues with replacements either, but where I live we only get 90 days of warranty on replacements.

Lets say lightning strikes or something else happens that is not covered by warranty, then you'd have to call your insurance company and deal with them. Maybe you're okay with that, that may be considered a cheaper solution. But for some that's time spend on something irrelevant, time that could be spend better if just had used the cloud.

All this depends on what kind of person/company you are, what would be the most beneficial way for you to go. We can continue this discussion forever, no solution is the right solution, it all depends...

2 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

I see you down there in 37 on day 11 with your super high day points 😁

I think your my only threat atm and I was sure you would catch up today or tomorrow, so I've gone balls to the wall and pushing all I have to the max, but I also had a machine derp on me, only a small one though.

Next folding event I'm gonna be rocking a 2080 Super with either a 3900x or a 3950x. Don't know which cpu I'm gonna get because I don't know if I really want 2 monitors or should just stick with this one.

I like the idea of 2 monitors. I could definitely put a 2nd one to use. But it isn't like I can't use my computer without the 2nd screen.

56 minutes ago, C3Shark said:

I was surprised how many houses in Kansas are still on knob and tube.

Living near Chicago where all electrical is run in hard conduit and a bare minimum armored cable I'm always aghast  when I see wiring in other regions like NY where it's just cloth covered copper stapled to beams in the basement haphazardly.

Just now, Bitter said:

So I've got a WU that's not uploading, what do I do?

Wait

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Guys, 

It is looking like this update will need to be posted with the error data still included, apologies for that!

Will be getting on with it shortly 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

So I've got a WU that's not uploading, what do I do?

Bang-head-on-brick-wall.jpg.ad2da47f5212ac6c819e7c35af50b4fa.jpg

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Guys, 

It is looking like this update will need to be posted with the error data still included, apologies for that!

Is there no ECC going on with your data my dude?

Need to get that cross checking slotted!

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Guys, 

well so be it

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

1 minute ago, LordKitsune said:

Is there no ECC going on with your data my dude?

Need to get that cross checking slotted!

The issue is the way the data is presented Error correction needs to be handled manually and that is done by Leadeater. I don't have access to the raw stats this time around due to my own stupidity. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Thanks google, I know i will run out this month can you please be a little more helpful and give me a more accurate date??

image.png.aff7e8aa3306ef9ad4c1684bf27f7e5e.png

OEC , F@H

Ryzen 5 3600, MSI Tomahawk Max, 16Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz, AMD RX590, WD Black PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The issue is the way the data is presented Error correction needs to be handled manually and that is done by Leadeater. I don't have access to the raw stats this time around due to my own stupidity. 

oooooof, wish I could beam some brain power over to you guys

Just now, Gustavehomme01 said:

Thanks google, I know i will run out this month can you please be a little more helpful and give me a more accurate date??

I give them 11/10 for information vagueness 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, LordKitsune said:

oooooof, wish I could beam some brain power over to you guys

LMFAO... I need more than brainpower By that I mean more alcohol 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Finally, all 3 machines are folding on CPU and GPU at the same time....on the warmest day of the year so far! Foldy Puff Jr may be getting sent to live in the basement with the P106-100 system once it's built.

Just now, LFreeman said:

Did you just call GOT small brain?

No, at least that wasn't the intention (I see where that can be misconstrued though) :D

More brain power when screening for errors is always useful, even if you make einstein look like a newborn

Just now, LFreeman said:

Did you just call GOT small brain?

Please, we're all friends here.

Call me Spec! 

Also There is no scientific evidence that having a smaller brain leads to reduced intelligence. All you gotta do is look at most politicians, big head and all...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240