LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

My GPUs are unloved and ignored... where are all those WUs that were flying around yesterday?

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

3 minutes ago, Zonker said:

My GPUs are unloved and ignored... where are all those WUs that were flying around yesterday?

you using the advanced flag yet?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

you using the advanced flag yet?

I'm not 'advanced'... but just went in and added (to the left) Name: client-type and Value: Advanced... that right?

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

Just now, Zonker said:

I'm not 'advanced'... but just went in and added (to the left) Name: client-type and Value: Advanced... that right?

it sounds right to me.. no capital A though, just a small a. 

It just means that you also get beta WU;s etc, they have been pretty good didnt have any fail on my so far. Did take off the OC on my GPU and CPU. letting both run on their own

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

it sounds right to me.. no capital A though, just a small a. 

It just means that you also get beta WU;s etc, they have been pretty good didnt have any fail on my so far. Did take off the OC on my GPU and CPU. letting both run on their own

I didn't use a capital... just did here. Thanks for the tip. One GPU is already currently active... coincidence or useful tip... we'll see. :)

My Stats

16 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Under configure -> expert tab to the left column add this flag:

client-type 

advanced 

since I added that flag I been folding nearly fulltime, without any huge gaps waiting on jobs 

I'll keep it empty for the time being and if I struggle finding jobs, I'll add it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip!

It seems lots of people are producing faulty results. nearly every time i check a WU, somone has handed in a faulty result.

Example being

https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu?p=14541&r=0&c=359&g=37#project=14541&run=0&clone=359&gen=37

Heres another one from the same user:

https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu?p=14543&r=0&c=238&g=27#project=14543&run=0&clone=238&gen=27

And another one:

https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu?p=14543&r=0&c=483&g=40#project=14543&run=0&clone=483&gen=40

And another one:

https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu?p=11776&r=0&c=4337&g=15#project=11776&run=0&clone=4337&gen=15

I cant' see this specific user in this event though, so hard to know who it is, and let them know.

Ive seem many of theese faulty hands-ins from users, not only from LTT team though.

This also generates increased trafic on the servers, futher hindering the total production.

34 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Why is the even actually just ‘two weeks’ - as I hVe a bad feeling people might just fold due to the ‘competition’; as sad as that is. 

I truely hope that we will continue to fold in the numbers we are doing now!

I mean, thinking anything else would be foolish.

Of course a large percentage of people have only started folding because of the call-to-arms and the competition, me being one of them.
You only have to cross-check the amount of active users from a month ago to now to see an explosion of users, it would be insane to think the numbers will stay that high after the event and while it probably will still have a large amount of users, those will dwindle after "corona has been cured".

Some people won't be able to afford the electricity that folding requires of them, some will only have permission to fold for the event, some will only have the hardware for a certain amount of time, others will probably have suspended the use of their hardware for F@H which isn't feasible for longer times, there are meany reasons why people will only fold temporarily.

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I got a million points!  I don't know what that means, but it's a million, so likely worth a cookie!

It means you are awesome! Or so I heard at least.

9 hours ago, jctappel67 said:

Jaysus! Where Can I find a WU like that?

11:09:08:WU00:FS00:Upload complete
11:09:08:WU00:FS00:Server responded WORK_ACK (400)
11:09:08:WU00:FS00:Final credit estimate, 429649.00 points

;) 

Aorus X570 Xtreme | Ryzen 3900X | Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme  | G.Skill Trident Z 64GB 3200 MHz  CL14

43 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

as I hVe a bad feeling people might just fold due to the ‘competition’; as sad as that is. 

If people fold for the competition who otherwise would not have folded at all then isn't it still a positive gain even if they stop folding after the competition ends?

5 minutes ago, SpiritWrath said:

Some people won't be able to afford the electricity that folding requires of them, some will only have permission to fold for the event, some will only have the hardware for a certain amount of time, others will probably have suspended the use of their hardware for F@H which isn't feasible for longer times, there are meany reasons why people will only fold temporarily.

^ This
Also in addition to this the Northern Hemisphere will soon be going in to summer weather when a lot of people wind back or stop folding.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 minutes ago, SpiritWrath said:

I don't fold during the summer. It produces too much heat. It is affordable for me when it is colder since I don't (or less) have to heat my house.

I also think it is bad for the environment to do it. Both of these things or a reason to stop. I will fold a bit more now because of the corona-crisis.

19 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

I don't fold during the summer. It produces too much heat. It is affordable for me when it is colder since I don't (or less) have to heat my house.

I also think it is bad for the environment to do it. Both of these things or a reason to stop. I will fold a bit more now because of the corona-crisis.

Like I said, many different reasons.

Those two concerns can be solved though, if you have the system(s) that folds not in a room you are constantly staying in, the heat isn't as much of a problem and if you are one of the lucky individuals who can get electricity from solar/wind and/or other renewable environment-friendly energy sources, the impact on the environment is also greatly reduced.

2 minutes ago, SpiritWrath said:

Those two concerns can be solved though, if you have the system(s) that folds not in a room you are constantly staying in, the heat isn't as much of a problem and if you are one of the lucky individuals who can get electricity from solar/wind and/or other renewable environment-friendly energy sources, the impact on the environment is also greatly reduced.

I have solar panels. But that electricity can be used by others. So it doesn't make it really green.

2 minutes ago, SpiritWrath said:

Unfortunately that last point is a big one. The cost upfront for a system like that where I live is VERY prohibitive. I looked into both options and there is no way I can put up 10k+ USD

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

I have solar panels. But that electricity can be used by others. So it doesn't make it really green.

I would argue it depends on how you construct your argument;

Best case scenario your folding helps find a cure for one of the primary diseases faster which in turn means less time, money, resources and other thing spend on that particular research, which would make it electricity well spent for me.

5 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

Unfortunately that last point is a big one. The cost upfront for a system like that where I live is VERY prohibitive. I looked into both options and there is no way I can put up 10k+ USD

I would assume there are very few actual individuals not associated with any kind of company/workplace that could feasibly run a system just for Folding@Home and not have it impact their spending in a significant manner while also not having to rely on conventional electricity.

3 minutes ago, SpiritWrath said:

I would argue it depends on how you construct your argument;

Best case scenario your folding helps find a cure for one of the primary diseases faster which in turn means less time, money, resources and other thing spend on that particular research, which would make it electricity well spent for me.

Yeah, that is my reasoning to for now. But when it really becomes uncomfortable because the heat I will stop until autumn. (I will still fold in the morning since the nights are still cold)

Just now, 42thgamer said:

Yeah, that is my reasoning to for now. But when it really becomes uncomfortable because the heat I will stop until autumn. (I will still fold in the morning since the nights are still cold)

I am in no way arguing you should do anything else!

After all, we have to remind ourselves that while the cause is great, nobody is forced to participate and that every little bit helps, so the fact alone that you contribute is great, regardless of the amount.

@SpiritWrath  & @42thgamer

If I fold during the summer it'll be at half capacity with the remote rig in the garage over WiFi for heat reasons. House already stays at 77F indoors while outdoors is 90-100F and with an extra 250w/PC of heat that's comfort suicide in addition to lots of extra AC.

1 hour ago, SpiritWrath said:

I mean, thinking anything else would be foolish.

Of course a large percentage of people have only started folding because of the call-to-arms and the competition, me being one of them.
You only have to cross-check the amount of active users from a month ago to now to see an explosion of users, it would be insane to think the numbers will stay that high after the event and while it probably will still have a large amount of users, those will dwindle after "corona has been cured".

Indeed this, dedicated all of my business hardware to folding but that's unsustainable in the long term.

I see it as a charitable donation, I can bear the cost in the short term, but longer just isn't possible! On the plus side, finally hit the 500,000 mark! Sees that the WUs are coming through a lot quicker now!

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064