LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

My Client's version is too old??  hmmm...But Chinese user maybe can't update new client.

308DC4D7-DAAA-46D7-A3EC-FFEDF8CF5318.png

1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

@TheAmazingDavedo you know much about older servers? I have a Dell R420 that has 2 PCIE slots that say they can on'y handle I think 25 or 30 watts of power. If I were to use an external power supply do you think I could use more powerful card(s)

Not sure, does your R420 have redundant power supplies? If so, I'd think you could just tap power off of the drive backplane like I intend to do with my T610. 

More importantly, what sort of PCIe slots does the R420 have? I'm not too familiar with that server TBH. I just picked up a pair of PCIe x8-to-x16 risers for my T610. It has PCIe Gen 2 x8 and x4 slots that I'll be adapting to my dual GTX 970 cards. Not sure yet if it will work, but don't see why not.

7 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

Not sure, does your R420 have redundant power supplies? If so, I'd think you could just tap power off of the drive backplane like I intend to do with my T610. 

More importantly, what sort of PCIe slots does the R420 have? I'm not too familiar with that server TBH. I just picked up a pair of PCIe x8-to-x16 risers for my T610. It has PCIe Gen 2 x8 and x4 slots that I'll be adapting to my dual GTX 970 cards. Not sure yet if it will work, but don't see why not.

TBH I can't find that. All I can see is people say the slot is limited.

6 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

Found it. PCIe 3.0

Oh and yes redundant 500watt PSUs

7 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

https://www.itcreations.com/dell/Dell-PowerEdge-R420-Server.asp

Well it looks like it has two PCI3 Gen3 x16 slots which is awesome, but this data suggests that it might not take full-size x16 cards, which is not awesome. :(

Also, it looks like this model came with either 350w PSU, or maybe a 550w PSU. Enough to power one GPU for sure, but stretching kinda thin trying to run two.

Modding old Dell servers is kind of a pain in the ass. They were very purpose-built, and don't take kindly to the aftermarket whims of enthusiasts that get their hands on them in this day and age. If you can, try to get your hands on a tower. They're a bit more forgiving to aftermarket endeavors.

I saved my T610 from the scrapyard after a client upgraded to a newer Dell EMC series server.

4 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

https://www.itcreations.com/dell/Dell-PowerEdge-R420-Server.asp

Well it looks like it has two PCI3 Gen3 x16 slots which is awesome, but this data suggests that it might not take full-size x16 cards, which is not awesome. :(

Also, it looks like this model came with either 350w PSU, or maybe a 550w PSU. Enough to power one GPU for sure, but stretching kinda thin trying to run two.

I have a few smaller cards I might me able to rig physically in there. Power I can also tap off another PSU I have. I am curious IF I attempt this do you think I'd kill the MOBO?

Edited by LFreeman
I am an idiot

5 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

I have a few smaller cards I might me able to rig physically in there. Power I can also tap off another PSU I have. I am curious IF I attempt this do you think I'd kill the MOBO?

Nah, the mobo's are pretty resiliant. I doubt you'd hurt them given that any additional power connections are attached to the cards.

My previous server was a Dell PowerEdge 2900. I had an nVidia 8800GT which I physically cut half of the PCIe bus off of to fit that rig. Drivers picked it up as a X8 card, and it worked fine with the power tapped off of the backplane.

2 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

Nah, the mobo's are pretty resiliant. I doubt you'd hurt them given that any additional power connections are attached to the cards.

My previous server was a Dell PowerEdge 2900. I had an nVidia 8800GT which I physically cut half of the PCIe bus off of to fit that rig. Drivers picked it up as a X8 card, and it worked fine with the power tapped off of the backplane.

Not gonna mess with tapping into power. Me and electricity have issues. Did you know you can actually get thrown about 2 feet?

Just now, LFreeman said:

Not gonna mess with tapping into power. Me and electricity have issues. Did you know you can actually get thrown about 2 feet?

I mean, not from one 9V battery.  But a PSU is pretty powerful.

Just make sure if you jury rig power supplies it's not a card someone cares about or else you'll get people begging you not to.  😆 

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

😮

3 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

I mean, not from one 9V battery.  But a PSU is pretty powerful.

Just make sure if you jury rig power supplies it's not a card someone cares about or else you'll get people begging you not to.  😆 

I am going to just run one outside and put the 8pin from that one the card. It was actually an outlet. I was baby sitting and the kid threw popcorn all over. Went to vacuum. My neighbor neglected to tell me there was a bad outlet.. 

Edited by LFreeman
Forgot a detail. I'm tired sue me

I am going to just run one outside and put the 8pin from that one the card. It was actually an outlet. I was baby sitting and the kid threw popcorn all over. My neighbor neglected to tell me there was a bad outlet.. 

On a riser?  Yeah, no issues there.  I guess it was my 2 PSU 2 cards in one slot that had people unhappy.

(To be fair, while I had no concern on the longevity of the hardware, everything has been much more stable paired as 1 cpu / 1 gpu.)

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

Just now, hydrochloric said:

On a riser?  Yeah, no issues there.  I guess it was my 2 PSU 2 cards in one slot that had people unhappy.

(To be fair, while I had no concern on the longevity of the hardware, everything has been much more stable paired as 1 cpu / 1 gpu.)

Just gonna run 1 card for now to see how this works. And by now I mean in the morning. 

Just gonna run 1 card for now to see how this works. And by now I mean in the morning. 

my x8-to-x16 risers are coming from China. I'm gonna have to soak them in a vat of rubbing alcohol when they get here before I even think of installing them to get my GPUs running in the server. Hopefully in the next week or so... 

https://www.newegg.com/p/36M-01AF-000J2?Item=9SIAM5VA454385

I have both of the cards ready. I could either try to notch the slots on the motherboard, or cut the cards down to x8 to get them running now, but I'm trying to be a patient good boy and wait for the risers to come to get them choochin' along... lol

😬😬😬

15 minutes ago, TheAmazingDave said:

my x8-to-x16 risers are coming from China. I'm gonna have to soak them in a vat of rubbing alcohol when they get here before I even think of installing them to get my GPUs running in the server. Hopefully in the next week or so... 

https://www.newegg.com/p/36M-01AF-000J2?Item=9SIAM5VA454385

I have both of the cards ready. I could either try to notch the slots on the motherboard, or cut the cards down to x8 to get them running now, but I'm trying to be a patient good boy and wait for the risers to come to get them choochin' along... lol

😬😬😬

China is a lot safer than almost anywhere else atm.  Virus needs to travel inside living bodies. It can live outside them but not for very long.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Seems like just yesterday I was below 10k... now im over 6 million :)

This is fun to be honest

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

retweet please! 

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

12 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

retweet please! 

Aw sad :(

I mean its all in good fun and stuff though and for a good cause

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

Got all my rigs online where possible

Current gpus folding:

vega 64

295x2

mars 760x2

gtx 950

currently sitting at about 2.5m ppd

round abouts 1800-2000w from the wall

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280