LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

15 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Give it time, they are working on getting WU's for all the new folks trying to help :)

All good. Glad I even got one worker! It is for Coronavirus, so that's good to know I'm helping where it is needed most. Updated my rig description as well.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

I think they forgot to mention in their video that folding can reduce usable age from your hardware.

Oh boy, just found my old F@H account...  horrible LOL

Over the course of several years i had only accumulated a little over a million points, albeit that was 10+ years ago so systems have come a long ways.

My new setup is projected to pump out 2.5x that in just 24 hours 😆

2 minutes ago, Desor said:

I think they forgot to mention in their video that folding can reduce usable age from your hardware.

yes and no, if your running your rig with temps pinned to the max all day, yes its lifespan is going to drop.   If temperatures are managed, the difference in lifespan is negligible IMO

Hi guys, to follow the rules, do I have to fold for 10 whole days? Like, the whole 240 hours or what? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm new to this

1 minute ago, ykdave said:

yes and no, if your running your rig with temps pinned to the max all day, yes its lifespan is going to drop.   If temperatures are managed, the difference in lifespan is negligible IMO

Im running at 60 c on both gpu and cpu but lot of people wont understand that.

I don't think we can do it for COVID-19. I don't have an option to.

image.png.b45488f0471d3092e3272d958cc9d28b.png

1 minute ago, Desor said:

Im running at 60 c on both gpu and cpu but lot of people wont understand that.

Im at a AVG of 92c on CPU and 81 c GPU on MED

Just now, RYRY1002_YT said:

I don't think we can do it for COVID-19. I don't have an option to.

image.png.b45488f0471d3092e3272d958cc9d28b.png

Choose  ->  Any

Just now, Spovox said:

What are Pinned temps?

excessive temperatures

Any electronic device is sensitive to temperature. Its lifespan will drop as temperatures increase, mostly at a negligible rate up to a certain point (which is different for everything), once you start reaching the devices max temp limitations, if you chose to run it there 24/7 it is going to have a short and miserable life

loaded up im running 60-65 on both gpu and cpu, which is perfectly acceptable for 24/7 loaded temps IMO

Do I have to go hook up the old GTS 250 I have to add more GPU horsepower? :P

2 minutes ago, Spovox said:

Choose  ->  Any

Im fairly sure any includes covid 19. I also think there are university etc ones that are only meant for covid 19.

Just now, ykdave said:

excessive temperatures

Any electronic device is sensitive to temperature. Its lifespan will drop as temperatures increase, mostly at a negligible rate up to a certain point (which is different for everything), once you start reaching the devices max temp limitations, if you chose to run it there 24/7 it is going to have a short and miserable life

loaded up im running 60-65 on both gpu and cpu, which is perfectly acceptable for 24/7 loaded temps IMO

Sorry I meant to ask what qualifies as excessive temps. 

Just now, phyrealarm said:

Do I have to go hook up the old GTS 250 I have to add more GPU horsepower? :P

i tried my old 650ti's a few years ago for a laugh, they were useless 🤣

5 minutes ago, Spovox said:

Sorry I meant to ask what qualifies as excessive temps. 

These guys running 85+ is what id call excessive no matter what product it is, i wouldnt even like gaming like that let alone folding LOL

Like i had posted, every product is different in its limitations, but generally 80 is all i like to see and thats not for 24/7 loads

I just got a new WU!n Yes! Still trying to upload the last one for over a day now..

Just a reminder that BOINC Rosetta@Home has no issues and is researching Covid-19 with results already too. It does the folding on CPU cores though - GPU not supported.

6 minutes ago, AlpacaTechTips said:

Just a reminder that BOINC Rosetta@Home has no issues and is researching Covid-19 with results already too. It does the folding on CPU cores though - GPU not supported.

I am supporting Rosetta@Home too! But if there is a CPU-WU available I do prioritize that one!

Any reason why I'm getting lots of GPU activity but none CPU?fath2.thumb.PNG.20f55f5925c386c38d758a01374cb65d.PNG

fath.thumb.PNG.0662018a9a6fe6a74590b0a1ecc75790.PNG

Desktop: Project 2019

Ryzen 5 2600|2x8gb Vegeance LPX|ASRock B40M Pro4

Sapphire NITRO+ RX 570 8 GB|be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600w

AData 240gb SSD

Laptop: Asus TUF Gaming F15

Core i5 - 11400H|16gb RAM|512GB M.2 SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

Atari 540 STE|IBM Thinkpad 760ED

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

Is it just me or has the forum been down for the last couple hours? (cloudflare web server down error)

Jep, here too.

Is it just me or has the forum been down for the last couple hours? (cloudflare web server down error)

Same. It was down for about 2 hours for me, then it came back on for about 5 minutes and down for another 10 minutes.

Forum was down, yes.
The forum had a moment of silence to pay respect to all the lost Folding@home servers.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450