LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

I started folding yesterday on my 5820k@4.3GHz, but want to use my graphics cards (2x R9 290X) as well, but I can't get OpenCL to work. Right now I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 (it's based off Ubuntu 18.04) and display drivers from this repo: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers
Latest AMD driver (19.50 i believe) does not support kernel 5.3 so installing proprietary driver is not really an option. Is there a way to use open source mesa drivers and OpenCL?

Arch linux seems to have solution for that: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/

I also found: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm

To be honest don't know what to do with this stuff to make F@H see the OpenCL library.

1 minute ago, Lordofcheez said:

So is it even worth using my 3950x for folding? I really have no clue.

It is if you can afford the energy bill. Perfomance-per-Watt is by a magnitude better on GPUs though.

Look at that user count and Points in the last update, PCMR have a seat, we'll take it from here

image.thumb.png.ea2832c466a67acf0441f05dd0d038c5.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Last update is by far incomplete, so would take it with a grain of salt... It shows 0 for me in the last 2 periods while I definitely returned WUs in both. So things seems to be a good 4 hours late...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Look at that user count and Points in the last update, PCMR have a seat, we'll take it from here

image.thumb.png.ea2832c466a67acf0441f05dd0d038c5.png

Look my post from an hour ago, you just made exactly the same screenshot as me lol.

4 minutes ago, wilku said:

I started folding yesterday on my 5820k@4.3GHz, but want to use my graphics cards (2x R9 290X) as well, but I can't get OpenCL to work. Right now I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 (it's based off Ubuntu 18.04) and display drivers from this repo: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers
Latest AMD driver (19.50 i believe) does not support kernel 5.3 so installing proprietary driver is not really an option. Is there a way to use open source mesa drivers and OpenCL?

Arch linux seems to have solution for that: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/

I also found: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm

To be honest don't know what to do with this stuff to make F@H see the OpenCL library.

Not a Linux guy myself however MINT isn't listed in supported linux distros. A good starting point is here: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/installation-guides/linux/requirements/

It also says there that folding on Linux with AMD GPU is problematic due to poor OpenCL driver support.

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

Look my post from an hour ago, you just made exactly the same screenshot as me lol.

Man an hour ago is too far back for me after waking up. Can be expected to look through 10s of pages every morning. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

One more quastion,i have 2 pc one is desktop with rx580 gpu other is laptop with rtx2060 could i fold on same acc(passkey) with both pc? (Sorry for my english)

Just now, ShortRouter said:

@GOTSpectrum fair enough, I just assumed you never sleep. :D

No it happens from time to time.

Why would you assume such things? I'm most certainly not a robot... I think...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Andrew55 said:

One more quastion,i have 2 pc one is desktop with rx580 gpu other is laptop with rtx2060 could i fold on same acc(passkey) with both pc? (Sorry for my english)

Yep!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Andrew55 said:

Yup, thats what you're supposed to do, in order to get points accumulated.

Just now, ShortRouter said:

@GOTSpectrumI was joking, sorry for dry German humor.

I don't think he took it seriously, UK humor is just as dry as ours.

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

@GOTSpectrumI was joking, sorry for dry German humor.

I know man!!!

Don't worry it gave me a good chuckle 

Just now, SpiritWrath said:

This^

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

We are beating PCMR! Number one team in the last update! And almost number one in the last 24 hours!

1 minute ago, SpiritWrath said:

Oh my, some humor-inception right there!

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

We are beating PCMR! Number one team in the last update! And almost number one in the last 24 hours!

That is unless you count default as a team...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

woohoo got jobs on both rigs now. 

3900x churnin that butter and 2 1080s

8600k limited to 3 threads as it didnt like 6 for some reason lol 

Are there still consistent issues getting WU's on GPUs? 

8 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

That is unless you count default as a team...

Well, we're actually not that far behind the Default team either... They're only doing about 20-30M points more than us at the last updates and it looks like we're closing the gap.

image.png.1ce2a136293e0a4b1b34e803ef74fd30.png

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

With two PCs folding since yesterday from home, already past the 500K points for LTT. In the past I have contributed to the Prime95 project, but Folding @ Home is quite more important now. At least one of these PCs will remain folding from now on:

20200323_FoldingAtHome v2.JPG

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Well, we're actually not that far behind the Default team either... They're only doing about 20-30M points more than us at the last updates and it looks like we're closing the gap.

image.png.1ce2a136293e0a4b1b34e803ef74fd30.png

SHUSH!

I wanted that to be a surprise when it happened!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, j0hn0b said:

Are there still consistent issues getting WU's on GPUs? 

I've had 3 in the last 6-7 hours, which is more than I did last 2 days combined.

1 minute ago, Daniel_SC said:

I've had 3 in the last 6-7 hours, which is more than I did last 2 days combined.

I actually had a good run yesterday, but woke up to everything down. I may just shut down the servers I have until work units are back to being steady. The new video must be getting huge numbers, especially shutting the forum down lol

How Cute,

GN thinks he can challenge us! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240