Tech-hating Girlfriends, Anyone?

Cylon Agent

Mine wants me to upgrade the monitor for the sig rig so she can have the 32" HP Omen for herself haha

14 hours ago, Silentprototipe said:

When I used to have one mine would complain about the obscene amount of money and time I gave to my laptop xD 

"...but a Ryzen 5 laptop isn't very expensive..."

Don't tell her about me! ??

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

My girlfriend calls me her tech consultant. Sometimes I like to see how much I can make up that she believes. I tried to convince her that we had to put the WiFi bins out every Tuesday but that was a step too far.

She loves the Microsoft Surface I bought her and having smart stuff like the heating work of her phone, but she's not a techie at all. I keep having to remind her to not leave the OLED TV on pause or she could burn the screen.

Sometimes her lack of tech awareness is even more troubling though. Recently I found that the charger for our waterproof electric toothbrush was nice and clean in the bathroom.

I asked her how she did it and she said she held it under the hot tap and cleaned it with an old toothbrush. I was like: 

"What?! That's how you're supposed to do it!"

"But I thought it was waterproof?"

"The toothbrush is! Not the charger!" I said, pointing to all the points water could get into the charger base.

"Oh... well it looks like its still working anyway."

"You at least unplugged it from the wall when you did it right?"

"No..."

"You could have died! I do worry about you sometimes..."

*Sigh* At least her life insurance is up to date :P

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

Things I own.

1 PC - in sig.

1 Phone - Motorola G7

1 ereader - Kobo Mini

1 tablet - Lenovo tab 4 8 plus

Things my missus owns.

3 PCs

5 tablets - Kindle 1st gen, HDX, Asus MemPad 10", Kindle 10", Kindle 8"

2 ereader - Kobo 6, Kindle 2nd gen

2 phones - Firefox phone and a Motorola

2 laptops

I think I most deffo have the opposite problem to the OP... In a nerdy way she imasculates me... Well... Im-nerdculates me?

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

2 hours ago, IdlePX said:

Things I own.

1 Phone - Motorola G7

How's that g7 been? Thinking about getting one at some point.

@Killing-time-itself I have the G7 Plus, and I love it. I've seen the Plus for £140'ish new and I haven't seen any other mainstream phones that compete with the specs and build quality anywhere near this price range. Though I would say, make sure you get the Plus, there's a big jump between all the models. I'd also say there's a notch around the screen which I don't notice. But seeing internet reviews, if phones don't have a smooth rounded glass edge (like Samsungs), that's apparently a downer now? It has Android 9, and has had monthly updates so far.

The only feature I wanted that it didn't have was the ability to HDMI over OTG. I'd love to have a G7 Plus specced phone that could do that, but I guess we're still a few years off that being common place.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

Once, I used to be such a junk..But not anymore

Im shocked a subset like this exists still!

I mean frankly, if she is breathing and has a pulse, she's into tech some form or another. Until, i.e. she is a complete square!

Engineer.AI

On 2/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, Princess Luna said:

Glad my current relationship now with another girl

Excuse my being incapable of understand, but : is it so easy to re-wire one's preferences just by sheer will and determination? 

I sometimes find myself wondering, what would it be like to be in a same gender relation, but I always realize, that's not likely to happen. 

I just like to think about hypothetical scenarios. Can one just decide to "change preference" if determined enough?  

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

i used to have a tech hating girlfriend. but i kinda converted her. she like to play the occaisional game now, and she even let me have a server rack in the livingroom :D

15828983228384738210493507331503.thumb.jpg.b2ef1713f6c408e875f40267958107a7.jpg

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

i used to have a tech hating girlfriend. but i kinda converted her. she like to play the occaisional game now, and she even let me have a server rack in the livingroom :D

15828983228384738210493507331503.thumb.jpg.b2ef1713f6c408e875f40267958107a7.jpg

OMG! That that TV stand set from IKEA next to the server - what is it called?? I've been looking for it but can't seem to track it down except that I know IKEA carries it! Also nice ? :)

16 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Excuse my being incapable of understand, but : is it so easy to re-wire one's preferences just by sheer will and determination? 

16 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Can one just decide to "change preference" if determined enough?

I'm getting the weird impression that you believe sexuality/preferences to have mutually exclusive options...?

And this might be a discussion better answered in the LGBT Community thread, if you're curious. ?

As for my thoughts on the actual topic, eh... "Treat others how you want to be treated," I guess.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

14 hours ago, Cylon Agent said:

OMG! That that TV stand set from IKEA next to the server - what is it called?? I've been looking for it but can't seem to track it down except that I know IKEA carries it! Also nice ?:)

lol yeah it is! 

It's the FJALLBO as far as i know. IKEA names are always hard to remember ?

https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/p/fjallbo-tv-meubel-combi-zwart-s79191266/