64 Bit-Octa Core? Blackberry thinks so.

beebskadoo

Blackberry has been in a heap load of financial troubles lately. They have come to the conclusion that High end Enterprise phones and Low end phones for emerging markets are the way to go, but a rumor has been floating around that they are looking into 64 bit Octa-core CPU's for their upcoming High end phones. 

Ever since Apple announced that the A7 Cpu was 64 Bit enabled, Samsung and Qualcomm have jumped on the 64Bit train so it was only a matter of time for Blackberry to try it out.

Bu will this save Blackberry? probably not in all reality but at least they're shaking things up.

The CPU is going to be based on Qualcomms own 20nm 8 core, 4 gigs of ram and the Adreno 430 Gpu. With a clockspeed of 2.5 Ghz, it's sure to crunch numbers pretty quickly. But what good is fantastic hardware if you don't have the apps to keep your ecosystem alive? Guess we'll see if this move puts Blackberry back on the playing field or in the grave.

Thoughts?

Link to the TomsHardware article.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

What app on a phone could benefit 8 cores? Phones are hardly used for productivity, it's a consumer product.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

What app on a phone could benefit 8 cores? Phones are hardly used for productivity, it's a consumer product.

nothing yet, same with 64 bit...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Until the hardware is released the software can't support it. That doesn't mean it's not worth trying to push the hardware. The software may or may not follow but why not make the hardware anyway and see what companies do with it.

The software may utilize all the horsepower they have but if there isn't enough software support for their platform, it's going no where. Just like the Windows Phones. If the experience is shitty, it won't help to squeeze in even an i5.

i dont think blackberry will live much longer

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I guess it depends on how blackberry implement their next OS version.  If they make it as easy to develop for as android, then finding a niche market may not be that difficult.  Image if a large company can buy a fleet of phones with custom apps and network integration and processing power to boot. Apple is secure, Android is versatile and cheap, but a powerful and secure combination are very attractive attributes.  It might just be the thing that saves them, after all being a business centered smartphone was what made them successful originally.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't know that much about it, but I imagine phones would benefit greatly from lots of small low powered cores due to the amount of applications running simultaneously. 64-bit is the really interesting part though...

It does seem like there is a race on to see how many cores can be crammed into a phone. We have gone from single to quad in really only a couple of years.

Sounds good to me if its true.

how will BB survive: release a phone with unlocked bootloader and an almost official way to flash android on it.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

All 64 bit does is use more ram, yay........

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

lol now you F@H on your phone /jk

anyways unless you can do that the only reason to make that chip is to keep pushing boundaries, something that has to be appreciated at least 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Good for BB, I hope they get over the horrible hump they are going through and start making products we all want again. They were a great company. 

I think they should get into the totally encrypted phone, encrypted calls, text, data, encrypted data on phones etc. The encrypted BB texts was a big seller for the corporate market and Encrypted phones are starting to emerge. Would be nice to see them take the lead in an area they know their stuff already. 

(.... guys, just keep the NSA out of your servers this time around ffs)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Have any of you actually used BB10 at all?  Far more polished than Windows Phone. 

All the essential "apps" have native bb10 versions and anything else I need (e.g. Tapatalk) I install the apk right on my phone.  I actually do a lot of productivity stuff on my Q10 so I can see the benefit of faster internals, but 64 bit octa core and 4gb of RAM seems a bit overkill. 

Lastly, I have a Shield so I play games and stuff on that so my smartphone is used for communication purposes which BB10 does way better than Android and iOS IMO.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

you people do realize they bank tons of cash for many different military services across the world. they won't go down anytime soon if JUST the u.s. military has anything to say. they have an amazing os with great encryption for phones.

edit: the few things they would have to do though to become king for phones is develop/use a different battery type structure. lipo is bad especially if punctured by say a bullet. switch to a non volatile source and that would be great. also use sapphire style screens or the new gorilla glass. BB phones could be made much more rugged than they are now. and a move to a 64 bit processor would be nice because you can perform better encryption methods.

same thing that has happened with PC's will happen with mobile devices they are ramping up the speeds so quickly that there soon wont be a need to upgrade for years. this is part of the issue with decreasing PC sales a 4y0 cpu and motherboard is still viable for most users if all you are doing is email and web browsing it will be fine for many more years to come, i remember the time when you had to upgrade your GPU etc. every year to be able to play the latest games 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I feel like phone manufacturers are taking the AMD approach (minus the 64-bit)

MOAAAAARRRRRRR COAAAARRRRRRRZZZZZZZZ, MOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRR JIGGGGGGAAAAAAAHHHHUUUUURRRTTTTZZZZZZ, yet still performs the same as a dual-core iPhone 5S.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I'd rather see better 4 cores than an 8 core. But I'm sure other companies are working on 4 cores anyway so there's no reason not to have both options.

People said the EXACT same thing about desktops when we reached single core 1GHz CPUs. Hardware needs to come before software that takes advantage of it...

The only reason why phones aren't used for productivity is because they are not powerful enough.

All 64 bit does is use more ram, yay........

Completely wrong. 64bit ARM processors aren't just an extension of 32bit like we saw on desktops when we started using x86_64. 64bit ARM processors has brand new instruction sets and general purpose registers.

We should see a ~10%-20% performance increase simply from moving to 64bit in phones. That is without taking any architecture improvements into consideration. If you take the new crypto libraries into consideration then we will get over a 500% (yes, that is 5 times as fast, or more) increase (in those scenarios).

64bit in phones will be a fantastic upgrade, and I can't wait for it to happen. Hopefully ART will support 64bits so we can kill two birds with one stone (move to 64bits and kill of the awful Dalvik runtime) on the Android side.

Don't really care for Blackberry but it's nice to see that they at least try to compete spec wise. They really should have just made an Android phone though...

I'd rather see better 4 cores than an 8 core. But I'm sure other companies are working on 4 cores anyway so there's no reason not to have both options.

It's probably big.LITTLE. So it has 4 really powerful cores that use quite a bit of energy, and then it has 4 small cores which are very efficient but fairly weak processing wise. You can throw stuff like background updates, music playback, call handling etc on the small cores, and stuff like games and web browsing on the big cores.

Why are they spending money to get an 8 core CPU with 64 bit data paths when they don't have any applications that can take advantage of it! Why not come up with a better SDK or a more dev friendly OS to get more apps out there in general and get apps that can actually leverage the technologies they are putting on the table. I used to own a blackberry, and I had no issues with it really other than the incredibly terrible battery life and the terrible app experience.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

People said the EXACT same thing about desktops when we reached single core 1GHz CPUs. Hardware needs to come before software that takes advantage of it...

The only reason why phones aren't used for productivity is because they are not powerful enough.

But this is an ARM processor we're talking about, the key thing being power saving features. It could drive innovation for something else, but a phone... Tablet or 2 in 1 would make more sense.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I think BB needs to play it safe personally. They are definitely taking a shot in the dark with this one. They are too far gone to make decisions like this and I believe it will cost them in the long run. 

This is the consequence of sitting idly by as Apple and Google dominate and innovate the post 2007 mobile market. They went from market leader to nothing in a few years. It's too late to play catch up BB...

They should just sell the name and patents to get something out of it :/

Hail Sithis!

This will not make their phones any more popular...

Signatures are stupid.

This will not make their phones any more popular...

I have seen 2 Blackberries in the wild. and one of them was broken.

Hail Sithis!

they officially support android apks now so maybe if they include the play store things can get much better for them ... WAIT this can be an opportunity for google too, where they make some agreement to allow other manufacturers that dont use android to use the play store as the main or even a second one (if they must have the blackberry app store)  app store. infact with the inclusion of bbm on the play store this may already be a reality.  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

8 cores are need because, you guessed it, Java. Lol.