amazon delivery opening my door to drop off package?

spartaman64

Perhaps OP's parents gave the direction to Amazon to deliver packages in this manner?  OP did you tell your parents of this practice?  I'd imagine they'd want to know if they are unaware.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Package thief is common nowadays. Amazon done a good job on this part to deliver your package inside your house. You say your area occasionally have robbery than why on earth you left your door open when you are at home? That begging robbery to rob you, mang.

Amazon has this: "Amazon's New Service Lets Delivery People Open Your Front Door To Drop Packages Inside"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/pranavdixit/amazons-new-service-lets-delivery-people-open-your-front

Are you sure it is not enable on your account?

21 minutes ago, nick name said:

Perhaps OP's parents gave the direction to Amazon to deliver packages in this manner?  OP did you tell your parents of this practice?  I'd imagine they'd want to know if they are unaware.  

i bought the item on my amazon account

3 minutes ago, Harry P. Ness said:

Package thief is common nowadays. Amazon done a good job on this part to deliver your package inside your house. You say your area occasionally have robbery than why on earth you left your door open when you are at home? That begging robbery to rob you, mang.

Amazon has this: "Amazon's New Service Lets Delivery People Open Your Front Door To Drop Packages Inside"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/pranavdixit/amazons-new-service-lets-delivery-people-open-your-front

Are you sure it is not enable on your account?

its not open just unlocked and everyone leaves their door unlocked around here

2 hours ago, Praesi said:

In no Area i would let my Door unlocked. Do you have Kids?

im 20 so no i dont have kids and i only leave it unlocked when im home and pretty much the only crimes around here are heron use and occasionally robberies of stores

7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

its not open just unlocked and everyone leaves their door unlocked around here

No wonder you guys have robbery and you live in US which is #1 in crime activity. The Amazon deliver person probably known your area before, therefore they just going to open your front house door and drop off the package.

Are you sure is everyone leaves their door unlocked around there? You go to every houses and check?

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im 20 so no i dont have kids and i only leave it unlocked when im home and pretty much the only crimes around here are heron use and occasionally robberies of stores

If they rob stores then they will probably rob your street too once they know it.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

You should lock your doors. Especially with such a unique username that you seem to use everywhere. Your town in Northern Illinois isn't as safe as you think it is, someone could walk off with your Acer laptop. It's not just about local criminals anymore, you could piss off someone deranged enough to google your username and it's probably not as hard to locate someone as you'd think.

I won't post which large affluent northern suburb of Chicago because doxing is bad, but you should probably scrub your google search results, John. And you should probably lock your doors. Someone might steal your Pokemon stuff or beat you at chess.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Fair enough.  I was thinking the policy might be to make the deliverer responsible for package safety in some way, but the photo thing works too.  Some policy where this is the end result at any rate.

Why would the photo thing be working? It's not a delivery - they could have just taken the package with them after taking that photo... 

Here a delivery is if it's signed by the receiver, otherwise it's *nothing*

I still have orders in my Amazon account as "out for delivery" from months and years ago because the parcel service thought it's a good idea to just put the parcels in front of my door -  it is not and the delivery service is liable if something happens to the parcels    as it wasn't officially delivered... 

Also door opening by parcel service?  That is basically burglary and doesn't happen around here either... 

My take on this is some areas of the world are definitely stranger than others lol.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

You should lock your doors. Especially with such a unique username that you seem to use everywhere. Your town in Northern Illinois isn't as safe as you think it is, someone could walk off with your Acer laptop. It's not just about local criminals anymore, you could piss off someone deranged enough to google your username and it's probably not as hard to locate someone as you'd think.

I won't post which large affluent northern suburb of Chicago because doxing is bad, but you should probably scrub your google search results, John. And you should probably lock your doors. Someone might steal your Pokemon stuff or beat you at chess.

nah im not really too worried. im a generally nice person i would like to think and i dont have many enemies. if someone wants to come by for some tea then ill invite them in i get lonely sometimes anyways Kappa and my acer laptop's batteries died so if anyone wants to take it be my guest just dont take my switch :P also there is apparently another spartaman64 since there are forums that i dont recognize @.@ also someone took that name so i cant use it for my league of legends account reeeee i had to use afishinabowl instead

It would be wise to lock your doors next time, even if there is 0 crime in your area.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Lock your Door man. There is no need to take any chances whatsoever. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

What's the purpose to leave your door unlocked anyhow? 2 calories gonna melt your gainz? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

What's the purpose to leave your door unlocked anyhow? 2 calories gonna melt your gainz? 

idk its like asking why dont you turn your pc off when you leave to go to the bathroom to pee i just dont

13 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk its like asking why dont you turn your pc off when you leave to go to the bathroom to pee i just dont

Clearly you’re not sufficiently committed to gaming.

64A75284-82C9-4EA5-B3B9-1E1F976ACBA7.jpeg.2c3d1459c93324b4b074ec64de20a10f.jpeg

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:39 AM, nick name said:

I mean a few reasons why it would be a terrible policy:

- Amazon opens door and the dog runs out.

-Amazon opens door and dog doesnt recognize who it is and takes a chunk out of Amazon

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

@spartaman64

I have a few quick questions:

1. Did you ever give the driver personally (or Amazon in general) explicit permission to enter your home by themselves?

2. Do you have a problem with them doing this without your permission?

2a. Do you have a problem with them doing this at all?

If it were me, and a delivery driver was going inside my home without my permission, I'd be in contact with the delivery company (or Amazon, if it's their driver) immediately to file a complaint. But that's just me. Some people won't care if they just let themselves in, and that's okay as long as they're alright with the situation.

Nobody enters my home without permission - if you do, you're trespassing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've never heard of this, Amazon doesn't even ring the doorbell. They just place the package on my front porch, take a picture of it, and leave. 

Do you have one of the smart locks that Amazon works with?  To each his own but I would not be OK with this.  Leaving your front door unlocked is unwise but that's on you.  I'd suggest calling Amazon and/or voicing your concern when they ask how they did delivering your package.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

I've never heard of this, Amazon doesn't even ring the doorbell. They just place the package on my front porch, take a picture of it, and leave. 

Do you have one of the smart locks that Amazon works with?  To each his own but I would not be OK with this.  Leaving your front door unlocked is unwise but that's on you.  I'd suggest calling Amazon and/or voicing your concern when they ask how they did delivering your package.

To clarify, he's only leaving the door unlocked when he's home (I think) - lots of people do that. I do it all the time. It really depends on your neighbourhood. Ones that are less safe, yeah for sure lock that door even when you're home (especially at night).

But as long as he locks when he leaves or is otherwise indisposed (asleep, shower, etc), then there's really minimal to no risk in many places.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

To clarify, he's only leaving the door unlocked when he's home

No need to clarify.  It's not up for debate.  As I said to each his own. 

3 minutes ago, Velcade said:

No need to clarify.  It's not up for debate.  As I said to each his own. 

The way you made your post, the "to each his own" seems to apply to the statement about the Amazon smart lock that allows drivers specifically to drop things off indoors.

Again, it is up for debate, because not all neighbourhoods are equal. Some are perfectly safe to literally just leave the door wide open - not that I would do that for other reasons (dirt getting in, hot/cold air getting out, etc).

His neighbourhood might well be safe enough to leave the door unlocked. It's not uncommon.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Again, it is up for debate, because not all neighborhoods are equal. Some are perfectly safe to literally just leave the door open - not that I would do that for other reasons (dirt getting in, hot/cold air getting out, etc).

You absolutely love to argue and push your opinion on others until you've bent them.  

It doesn't matter what you think, if OP wants to keep his door unlocked and I want my door locked who cares.

The post is about Amazon walking into his house.

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

You absolutely love to argue and push your opinion on others until you've bent them.  

I do love a good argument - no denying that. But you made a statement in a public forum that I disagree with, and when I made a counterpoint you said it wasn't up for debate. Obviously it was.

It doesn't matter what you think, if OP wants to keep his door unlocked and I want my door locked who cares.

That's uh... kind of 100% my entire point. If the OP feels like it's safe to leave his doors unlocked, then there's no problem. It's not uncommon. You suggested that it's never wise to do so. I disagree.

I digress - we obviously don't agree on this matter so we can drop the subject.

The post is about Amazon walking into his house.

Agreed - many people have given the OP excellent advice - personally, I'd be furious, whether I left my door unlocked or not. I would immediately contact Amazon/the courier to make a complaint, since even though the door was unlocked, it was still obviously a private space, not some public area.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's uh... kind of 100% my entire point. If the OP feels like it's safe to leave his doors unlocked, then there's no problem.

Expect the problem of Amazon walking into his place. 

On 1/3/2020 at 5:01 PM, spartaman64 said:

Happened to me twice so far. They didn't ring or knock on the door I just hear my door open and feel the gust of cold air and when I go check theres the package inside and the delivery person is jogging away to their car. I didn't set any special instructions for them to do this. And before anyone gets on my case about this yes I leave my door unlocked when I'm home because I live in a safe area where there is virtually no crime other than an occasional store robbery. My theory is maybe they do this because they are behind on deliveries and they don't want to wait for people to come to the door and probably a lot of people in my area have their doors unlocked also.

edit: actually after thinking about that it doesnt make sense since its probably takes less time to drop off the package outside and ringing the doorbell so idk why

Could have missed it in all of the posts, but are you sure your parents haven't told them they can leave it inside the door? I sometimes don't get home until really late, so on rainy days I've have a few packages get destroyed and have since told my delivery drivers to leave all my packages inside the door. They don't look at them to see if its my name or my wife's name on the package, just put all of them inside.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:45 PM, spartaman64 said:

There isn't really anything that expensive in my house. The most expensive thing is my computer which is worth like 1000 and it's my parents house so I can't make them get insurance 

Insurance will also cover if someone else gets hurt on your property, its not just about personal belongings. My grandpa was once sued when he moved one of his rental houses and a local kid jumped the construction fence to keep kids out of the foundation hole and broke his leg, they even won the suit and his home insurance policy had to pay a stupidly inflated hospital bill for a small fracture. Turns out you also need no trespassing signs up otherwise you are at fault, even at a residential premise, and sometimes that isn't enough. Apparently you are supposed to time travel back to catch the kid and make him sign a no-fault wavier before he trespasses while stealing the copper water pipes.

20 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Could have missed it in all of the posts, but are you sure your parents haven't told them they can leave it inside the door? I sometimes don't get home until really late, so on rainy days I've have a few packages get destroyed and have since told my delivery drivers to leave all my packages inside the door. They don't look at them to see if its my name or my wife's name on the package, just put all of them inside.

Insurance will also cover if someone else gets hurt on your property, its not just about personal belongings. My grandpa was once sued when he moved one of his rental houses and a local kid jumped the construction fence to keep kids out of the foundation hole and broke his leg, they even won the suit and his home insurance policy had to pay a stupidly inflated hospital bill for a small fracture. Turns out you also need no trespassing signs up otherwise you are at fault, even at a residential premise, and sometimes that isn't enough. Apparently you are supposed to time travel back to catch the kid and make him sign a no-fault wavier before he trespasses while stealing the copper water pipes.

I bought it with my own amazon account which they dont have access to and they were not at home at the time. We don't leave any stuff lying around and we don't have construction but if we ever do then I'll learn from your story and put up signs.