amazon delivery opening my door to drop off package?

spartaman64

Happened to me twice so far. They didn't ring or knock on the door I just hear my door open and feel the gust of cold air and when I go check theres the package inside and the delivery person is jogging away to their car. I didn't set any special instructions for them to do this. And before anyone gets on my case about this yes I leave my door unlocked when I'm home because I live in a safe area where there is virtually no crime other than an occasional store robbery. My theory is maybe they do this because they are behind on deliveries and they don't want to wait for people to come to the door and probably a lot of people in my area have their doors unlocked also.

edit: actually after thinking about that it doesnt make sense since its probably takes less time to drop off the package outside and ringing the doorbell so idk why

would definately let Amazon know about this. I know they have the program where you can give them a one time access code if you have a smart lock on your door, but they should not be doing that shit if you didn't say they could

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Might be part of policy because of package theft. It’s become a huge problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I realize you believe your area is safe, but I cannot fathom people that leave their car or house doors unlocked, unless they are out in the yard or bringing something like groceries in.

As far as Amazon? I’d mention it to them as I’ve never had a delivery driver check my door.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I realize you believe your area is safe, but I cannot fathom people that leave their car or house doors unlocked, unless they are out in the yard or bringing something like groceries in.

As far as Amazon? I’d mention it to them as I’ve never had a delivery driver check my door.

i mean if someone really wanted to enter my house they can just throw a brick at my window door locked or not. and ive talked to some other people and apparently its common in some areas

The Amazon guy is scared of my dog. I have a Belgium Malinois. Fairly protective of the doors and windows. Alarms when strange cars pull into the drive way and chases the kids cutting though the yard. A dog's life must be good lol.

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i mean if someone really wanted to enter my house they can just throw a brick at my window door locked or not. and ive talked to some other people and apparently its common in some areas

Yeah, but then they at least have to try, and probably give up. I see alerts for my neighborhood all the time of people having their cars “broken in to”, but it’s always someone that left their doors unlocked. Locks are a deterrent, and they help keep people honest. 

At the end of the day, I don’t have random delivery people opening my front door, so you’re somewhat refuting your own stance about unlocked doors being no big deal. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

signs of break in is needed for insurance claims. if there is no sign then they deem it as negligence and will not cover you for anything stolen. So in that sense, it's actually better that they damage your house.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Yeah, but then they at least have to try, and probably give up. I see alerts for my neighborhood all the time of people having their cars “broken in to”, but it’s always someone that left their doors unlocked. Locks are a deterrent, and they help keep people honest. 

At the end of the day, I don’t have random delivery people opening my front door, so you’re somewhat refuting your own stance about unlocked doors being no big deal. 

I mean the delivery person isn't coming in to rob me and everyone in my neighbourhood leaves theirs unlocked which is probably why they do that in the first place

Just now, Arika S said:

signs of break in is needed for insurance claims. if there is no sign then they deem it as negligence and will not cover you for anything stolen. So in that sense, it's actually better that they damage your house.

I dont have insurance but that seems like a weird policy so if someone picks a lock you can't claim insurance?

Just now, spartaman64 said:

I dont have insurance but that seems like a weird policy so if someone picks a lock you can't claim insurance?

You don’t have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, and you leave your doors unlocked?

Holy shit...

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

You don’t have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, and you leave your doors unlocked?

Holy shit...

Yep I leave it unlocked when I'm home I lock it when I go out but I probably don't need to thats how safe my neighborhood is

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Yep I leave it unlocked when I'm home I lock it when I go out but I probably don't need to thats how safe my neighborhood is

There is a massive massive variance in neighborhood safety.  It has a lot to do with relative wealth and population density.  Generally only desperate people steal.  There are exceptions but they usually involve some sort of mental illness and they’re rare.  Desperation does a lot of things though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I dont have insurance

bad bad bad idea. Even if you think your neighbourhood is safe it doesn't mean accidents wont happen or someone wont just drive through your part of town and think it looks like a good place to steal from.

Never ever become complaceant when it comes to insurance. you should have it even if you dont think you will need it. If you can't afford insurance, then you need to find a cheaper house.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

32 minutes ago, Arika S said:

bad bad bad idea. Even if you think your neighbourhood is safe it doesn't mean accidents wont happen or someone wont just drive through your part of town and think it looks like a good place to steal from.

Never ever become complaceant when it comes to insurance. you should have it even if you dont think you will need it. If you can't afford insurance, then you need to find a cheaper house.

There isn't really anything that expensive in my house. The most expensive thing is my computer which is worth like 1000 and it's my parents house so I can't make them get insurance 

I've had Amazon do this to me, we caught them on CCTV letting themselves in and putting the package in the kitchen. They never even knocked, just opened the door!

I only really lock my door when I'm out the house overnight. Other than that it's not locked, it's too much of an inconvenience digging around in my pocket for my keys!

I live not too far from a pretty bad council estate, so bad that the police have installed cameras on all the entrances to they can monitor the cars that go in and out.

When I'm at my grandfathers, I get wrong for not locking the door as soon as I come in the house!

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

I have buildings cover, but very little contents cover, the only reason I have it was because it was the same price as building only. I'm a believer in never claiming on insurance, unless it's 100% necessary, and the only reason I would is if there was a fire

I bought most of my stuff used (because I'm cheap, I could have bought it new, but why would I when I can pay less for the same thing!) so don't have receipts. The most expensive single item I own is my laptop, and I carry it around with me whenever I leave the house. The only things I keep in the house that are worth any money are my tools, but even then my entire workshop probably cost less than £1000. 

To replace all my possessions, including my laptop and Smartphone would probably cost around £5,000 if I looked around. Definitely not worth the hassle of claiming it on insurance.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

10 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

There isn't really anything that expensive in my house. The most expensive thing is my computer which is worth like 1000 and it's my parents house so I can't make them get insurance 

I understand your point of view, but (as someone whose house was broken into once) let me add a few things you should think about (and maybe discuss with your parents if they are the ones who decide on security at your house):

• Imagine coming home and seeing that some thief has emptied all cupboards and drawers, thrown everything on the floor and touched everything, including your clothes. Even if nothing of value has been stolen, that feeling is not nice at all.
  • Some burglars might actually decide to trash the house when they are not satisfied with their haul. It can cause insane amounts of damage if they set the house on fire or flood it for example.
  • Some things might be stolen that you wouldn't think about being a target: A friend's grandmother's house was broken into, thieves actually removed the copper pipes from the heating system, tearing open walls and floors. The cost of the stolen copper is nothing compared to the costs of repairing that kind of damage.
  • Once your house has been broken into, you might not feel that safe anymore. That feeling can stay with you for a while...

I don't want to scare anyone and I don't want to promote paranoia, so please just take these points as things you could think about.

In no Area i would let my Door unlocked. Do you have Kids?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

"Hello, i just came in to Axe murder you. Dont mind me and keep staring at the Monitor"

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

54 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

Some things might be stolen that you wouldn't think about being a target: A friend's grandmother's house was broken into, thieves actually removed the copper pipes from the heating system, tearing open walls and floors. The cost of the stolen copper is nothing compared to the costs of repairing that kind of damage

If they want to try that at mine, joke's on them. I've already ripped the copper out and replaced it with plastic.

The only copper I have left is the main gas pipe on the front wall, but it has a layer of Denso tape on it  (and if you know anything about it, you'll avoid touching it!)

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I can't believe it would be Amazon's policy to make entry into any home.  Perhaps this delivery person is doing this to avoid having to take a picture of the package in its delivered location outside, but I can't believe it would be policy.  For the sake of argument and it is policy then perhaps Amazon sees a high rate of package theft in the area.  But I can't believe it's policy or even allowed.  The liability for such a practice would be insane.  

Now shifting to insurance.  If your parents pay a mortgage on the home then strong chance they have homeowner's insurance.  It's almost always a requirement and in many cases gets billed together with their mortgage payment.  If that's the case then your belongings are likely to be covered.  Now in the event you aren't covered then having insurance isn't necessarily best  looked at to replace one expensive thing, but all of your belongings.  Do you have enough money to replace everything you own if it's destroyed by fire?  That's what insurance is for.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

I can't believe it would be Amazon's policy to make entry into any home.  Perhaps this delivery person is doing this to avoid having to take a picture of the package in its delivered location outside, but I can't believe it would be policy.  For the sake of argument and it is policy then perhaps Amazon sees a high rate of package theft in the area.  But I can't believe it's policy or even allowed.  The liability for such a practice would be insane.  

Now shifting to insurance.  If your parents pay a mortgage on the home then strong chance they have homeowner's insurance.  It's almost always a requirement and in many cases gets billed together with their mortgage payment.  If that's the case then your belongings are likely to be covered.  Now in the event you aren't covered then having insurance isn't necessarily best  looked at to replace one expensive thing, but all of your belongings.  Do you have enough money to replace everything you own if it's destroyed by fire?  That's what insurance is for.  

Fair enough.  I was thinking the policy might be to make the deliverer responsible for package safety in some way, but the photo thing works too.  Some policy where this is the end result at any rate.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Fair enough.  I was thinking the policy might be to make the deliverer responsible for package safety in some way, but the photo thing works too.  Some policy where this is the end result at any rate.

I mean a few reasons why it would be a terrible policy:

- Amazon opens door and the dog runs out.

- Amazon opens door and the cat runs out.

- Amazon fails to securely close door and a toddler gets out.

- Amazon fails to securely close door and someone else decides to walk in.

- Amazon opens door and invades the privacy of the resident.

- Amazon opens door and something happens at the property and Amazon can't prove they weren't responsible.

- Amazon opens door and gets shot by startled resident.

- Amazon opens door and startles resident so severely they never feel safe again and sue Amazon.

- Amazon opens door and eats milk and cookies meant for Santa.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

14 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The Amazon guy is scared of my dog. I have a Belgium Malinois. Fairly protective of the doors and windows. Alarms when strange cars pull into the drive way and chases the kids cutting though the yard. A dog's life must be good lol.

Your dog is just doing his or her job. ?

1 hour ago, Joelw2003 said:

Call and tell amazon?

Their customer service is pretty worthless these days if you have any issues past a simple question. OP would be better off posting somewhere publicly about, It’s just the way it is these days. Contacting Amazon directly will yield no major changes in their policies.