Linus please do more in Europe

sLazer2k

Hello Linus  and LMG Team, 

I was wondering if it not would make sense for LMG to give some more "Love" to their European viewers. 

Examples many of your Coops are limited to North America or even the U.S., I live in the Netherlands for me many of the Links either don't apply or do straight out not work. 

Questions here, and I believe that can be fixed by adding in the Comments/Video descriptions section.  for Europeans go to Alternate/CoolBlue/ ETC /sponsored link and LMG would surely be able to get some sort of arrangement with some of the more prominent European Hardware seller's 

Also, when you talk about prices, LMG works from Canada, so Canadian $ is your Currency, but everything is spoken about in $, and of course, I can calculate the exchange rate, but here, a simple fix would be put a text over. Example Linus "this Graphics card is 123$" Text layover 111 Euro 95 GBP  just adding convenience for Viewers at little more effort and makes LMG more international

Last but not least, maybe it would be an option in the midterm section to also open a presence in maybe London, Berlin, Amsterdam, that would be great, having an LMG EU.

Just some ideas, let me know what you think?

Edited by sLazer2k
Text format

Hey, I'm a fellow Dutch viewer here and I think they already do plenty for us.. Other than one thing, more on that later.

The geni.us Amazon links already link to a localized Amazon (for you and I that will usually be German Amazon, but if it's not available in Germany, it links to UK occasionally). Sometimes the links don't work, but that has more to do with the Amazon search term used..

When working with Noctua - for the LTT coolers - they (Noctua) even had the coolers up on German Amazon too..

The prices fluctuate all the time too, so a conversion on the screen would clutter up the screen with some info that is quite useless in a bit... Even right now it usually will be useless; as with import costs and VAT the prices will be different here than a straight conversion anyways.

LMG EU is probably still a ways away, because as is I feel like all the channels cater just as much to European viewers as North American viewers.

A China/India division would make much more sense..

The only thing I wish they would do a lot more is different unit conversions on screen.

Canadians are a weird bunch - using a combination of Imperial and Metric units. So it would be very much awesome if they always included a unit conversion on screen (only exception could be when straight up talking about CPU temps. Everyone measures in Celsius anyways, so that doesn't matter much to put in Fahrenheit too).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i just find it annoying when i see a review on a good monitor and i go to check it out and it's only on amazon.com and shipping to denmark would cost 350$

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

That seems like a pretty big ask. You'd easily get people from other nations asking why they don't put subs, or links to their sites, or their currencies.

Where do you stop?

They very, very rarely mention Canadian pricing, it's usually all done in USD, as that's likely where the most viewership is.

You also have to factor in the fact that it's not a simple currency conversion to find out what it costs in Europe, because it doesn't work like that; it's not a direct comparison. There's added fees, and pricing is different in every region.

@minibois How often does measurement conversion really come into play? Generally only building materials are Imperial.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 minutes ago, dizmo said:

@minibois How often does measurement conversion really come into play? Generally only building materials are Imperial.

More often than you think.

"This case is about 5" wide"

"We're just running this 50 feet ethernet cable"

"Buy this 20 fl.oz bottle at LTTStore.com"/"Madrinas coffee 15 fl.oz Grab and Go cans"

"This laptop weighs about 4 pounds"
"We are using this satellite to send the internet signal 5 miles away"

"This case has a volume of 5 cubic feet" (although liters is more common here)

etc. (of course the other way round too - which is why I would plead for this unit conversion thing to go both ways. Imperial to Metric and also Metric to Imperial)

Other than straight up construction videos (which LTT sometimes does too), there are other situations where a unit conversion is at the least bit convenient. Of course I know the rough conversions for most of these, but especially when they are comparing minute details (e.g. phone A is 0.50 pounds, the other is 0.57 pounds) it would be nice to get my preferred unit of measurement..

Some things like screen sizes for example would not need to be converted, since that is basically the default measurement everywhere.

Visualization of me watching any DIY video:

Spoiler

JFsI1IQ.png

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have thought several times that it'd be nice if Linus did mention the weight of stuff, like e.g. laptops or something, also in grams or kilograms. That's the only thing I, personally, have wanted, though, and I just don't care about stuff like e.g. him using dollars. I mean, it'd be pointless for him to convert from dollars to euro, for example, since everything costs much more over here in Europe and thus the price still wouldn't be correct for us anyways. Weight, at least, doesn't magically change for us Europeans.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

27 minutes ago, flashiling said:

i just find it annoying when i see a review on a good monitor and i go to check it out and it's only on amazon.com and shipping to denmark would cost 350$

Manufacturers often have similar but slightly different model numbers in worldwide regions, so you kinda need to hunt down the equivalent local one to you which would generally be easier to buy and will be locally supported.

For example there's a TV on floatplane at the moment. The link goes to OLED65B9PUA which appears to be the North American model. The equivalent model in Europe is OLED65B9PLA. Even if the main hardware is essentially the same, the different part number is due to materials like manual and warranty info customised for your region, as well things like different power cables.

24 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You also have to factor in the fact that it's not a simple currency conversion to find out what it costs in Europe, because it doesn't work like that; it's not a direct comparison. There's added fees, and pricing is different in every region.

In the UK I've traditionally found US$1=£1 to work well at a street level, at least enough for a ball part indication. At least MSRP should be available worldwide, although if LMG is working with say the North American branch of a company, they may only get supplied with the NA regional information.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

That seems like a pretty big ask. You'd easily get people from other nations asking why they don't put subs, or links to their sites, or their currencies.

Where do you stop?

Well That of course depends on the metrics of Users and how much LMG can monitize them. I am believe a EU susidery is easier and would generate more profits for LMG. But hey if LMG does some market research and India makes much more sense then of course they could be priotized. Maybe also how much people few this channel from Europe vs. India or China + culture barrier is most likely hgher there.

7 minutes ago, sLazer2k said:

Well That of course depends on the metrics of Users and how much LMG can monitize them. I am believe a EU susidery is easier and would generate more profits for LMG. But hey if LMG does some market research and India makes much more sense then of course they could be priotized. Maybe also how much people few this channel from Europe vs. India or China + culture barrier is most likely hgher there.

That made me think...

Assumption: potential LMG viewership is proportional to the number of English speaking population in a given country.

Using numbers from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

Top 10 country population claiming English as first language:

234,171,556     United States
54,400,000     United Kingdom
19,460,850     Canada
15,013,965     Australia
4,930,510     South Africa
4,122,100     Ireland
3,673,623     New Zealand
2,600,000     Jamaica
1,873,302     Singapore
1,145,000     Trinidad and Tobago

Top 10 country population claiming English ability:

283,160,411     United States
125,344,737     India
114,172,822     Nigeria
94,300,000     Pakistan
81,700,000     China
70,371,000     Philippines
59,600,000     United Kingdom
45,400,000     Germany
30,108,031     Bangladesh
29,973,590     Canada

The US by far has the biggest English speaking population however you cut it, so I guess it isn't too big a surprise for that to become the main following. Someone with more time and motivation than me might try to sum up Europe as a region to compare but it looks like UK kinda leads the way but look at Germany on the 2nd list.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It's one thing to have unit conversions and affiliate links to different regions, and a whole 'nother other beast to have a whole subsidiary branch (i.e. LMG EU). Unless LMG was a manufacturer, where having a local manufacturing center could offset any import/export/shipping expenses, there is little to no reason to have international branches of an entertainment service.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

OC3D is good alternative if you like more European content. But still pricing is hard even across Europe. Our tax is 6% higher than in Germany for example, and UK is about to be kicked out of the EUs trade union, possibly raising prices there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You only get what you are given and complaining doesn't help. First the European "content" then the others followed and soon Linus was bankrupt.

LTT doesn't even talk in Canadian currency, they only mention it to denigrate its value.  Otherwise they exclusively mention everything in USD

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

if linus can make more money in europe then his hq in canada, i am sure he would move over there in a heart beat

just cant beat the safety and free healthcare of surrey, bc, canada plus its familiar to linus and crew

its awefully expensive in europe to stay, let alone fly over there with crew in hand.

8 hours ago, minibois said:

More often than you think.

"This case is about 5" wide"

"We're just running this 50 feet ethernet cable"

"Buy this 20 fl.oz bottle at LTTStore.com"/"Madrinas coffee 15 fl.oz Grab and Go cans"

"This laptop weighs about 4 pounds"
"We are using this satellite to send the internet signal 5 miles away"

"This case has a volume of 5 cubic feet" (although liters is more common here)

etc. (of course the other way round too - which is why I would plead for this unit conversion thing to go both ways. Imperial to Metric and also Metric to Imperial)

Other than straight up construction videos (which LTT sometimes does too), there are other situations where a unit conversion is at the least bit convenient. Of course I know the rough conversions for most of these, but especially when they are comparing minute details (e.g. phone A is 0.50 pounds, the other is 0.57 pounds) it would be nice to get my preferred unit of measurement..

Some things like screen sizes for example would not need to be converted, since that is basically the default measurement everywhere.

Visualization of me watching any DIY video:

Reveal hidden contents

JFsI1IQ.png

I understand where you are coming from but i dont see the point. It takes all of 20 seconds to convert using google. I watch alot of diy videos from creators that use metric. I just convert it to standard.

Its a little bit of work but if that quick google conversion is too much work/research for you id question how serious you are about the product in the first place.

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

I understand where you are coming from but i dont see the point. It takes all of 20 seconds to convert using google. I watch alot of diy videos from creators that use metric. I just convert it to standard.

Its a little bit of work but if that quick google conversion is too much work/research for you id question how serious you are about the product in the first place.

If it's a 20 second effort from my part, it's a 40 second effort for the editor to Google it and add a bit of text to show it to all the viewers it is relevant to.

Of course it's a 5 second job to google the number, but I mainly watch this channel for entertainment purposes, so it would be great to not have to leave the video..

But that is of course assuming I'm on PC, where I can roll the video while looking it up; which would be less convenient on mobile.

4 hours ago, minibois said:

If it's a 20 second effort from my part, it's a 40 second effort for the editor to Google it and add a bit of text to show it to all the viewers it is relevant to.

Of course it's a 5 second job to google the number, but I mainly watch this channel for entertainment purposes, so it would be great to not have to leave the video..

But that is of course assuming I'm on PC, where I can roll the video while looking it up; which would be less convenient on mobile.

"If it's a 20 second effort from my part, it's a 40 second effort for the editor"

But they are already putting in alot more effort by making, editing, and upload videos. they have already put hours in.

Your sitting on your ass watching a video. You are basically saying that you are too lazy to sit on your ass and do a 5 second google search.

If its for entertainment purposes only...why does it matter what units its in? If your not looking to buy or build the project does the unit matter?

You can also enable youtube to go in a drop down window on mobile. So you can watch the video and do a google search.

Your whole argument here just makes you out to be incredibly lazy and want everything handed to you.

4 hours ago, amdorintel said:

then add in that the prices are in usd

lots of laziness going on over at ltt

Its not laziness. Its just not practical or needed to do all that.

USD is the world's primary reserve currency.

19 hours ago, porina said:

That made me think...

Assumption: potential LMG viewership is proportional to the number of English speaking population in a given country.

Using numbers from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

Top 10 country population claiming English as first language:

234,171,556     United States
54,400,000     United Kingdom
19,460,850     Canada
15,013,965     Australia
4,930,510     South Africa
4,122,100     Ireland
3,673,623     New Zealand
2,600,000     Jamaica
1,873,302     Singapore
1,145,000     Trinidad and Tobago

Top 10 country population claiming English ability:

283,160,411     United States
125,344,737     India
114,172,822     Nigeria
94,300,000     Pakistan
81,700,000     China
70,371,000     Philippines
59,600,000     United Kingdom
45,400,000     Germany
30,108,031     Bangladesh
29,973,590     Canada

The US by far has the biggest English speaking population however you cut it, so I guess it isn't too big a surprise for that to become the main following. Someone with more time and motivation than me might try to sum up Europe as a region to compare but it looks like UK kinda leads the way but look at Germany on the 2nd list.

Well 57% of Europeans speak English (ranges from 11% up to 72% in the netherlands and lets ignore the U.k since they speaking english by default ;) ) but I would allow myself to say that Folks in Linus target audiance are and I am totally guessing here are totally able to speak and more important understand English. 

Anyway I still Think a LMG Europe would be a cool thing and maybe later or earlier again this is for LMG and not me to decide as I of course have a biased opinion here LMG Ociana, LMG Asia but again you have to start somewhere and from my professional experiance its easier for NA companies to start in europe as for example in China or India. 

10 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

"If it's a 20 second effort from my part, it's a 40 second effort for the editor"

But they are already putting in alot more effort by making, editing, and upload videos. they have already put hours in.

Your sitting on your ass watching a video. You are basically saying that you are too lazy to sit on your ass and do a 5 second google search.

If its for entertainment purposes only...why does it matter what units its in? If your not looking to buy or build the project does the unit matter?

You can also enable youtube to go in a drop down window on mobile. So you can watch the video and do a google search.

Your whole argument here just makes you out to be incredibly lazy and want everything handed to you.

You disagree with me and I disagree with you, which is fine, but you don't see me making an attempt at ad hominem..

My whole point was that it would be convenient for a portion of the viewers to have this info on screen.

It's fine if you don't want to see that happen.

Sorry for trying to bring up valid improvements.

Have a good day.

It is a shame for the whole units thing. Especially with cases and lengths. 
I think they do laptop weights in grams though? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

4 hours ago, minibois said:

You disagree with me and I disagree with you, which is fine, but you don't see me making an attempt at ad hominem..

My whole point was that it would be convenient for a portion of the viewers to have this info on screen.

It's fine if you don't want to see that happen.

Sorry for trying to bring up valid improvements.

Have a good day.

My point is not ad hominem at all. Im not going after your argument not you. Your argument is that people shouldnt be expected to do something incredibly simple as convert a unit. Should they add all units? Lbs, kgs, stone, etc? 

What about the people who listen to videos and not watch them? Should they say out load all the measurements in different units?

Its not really an improvement. You have all the info you need on the screen as is when they give you the specs. 

It would be convenient but you already have all the convenience in the world sitting in your palm or at your desk. Creators should be able to assume that someone capable of navigating youtube are capable of using google to convert if needed. 

But you even said you are watching for pure entertainment. So it would be even more pointless to add it when your not going to buy the product or build the project.

Im siding with the people who spend alot of time and money making the videos over the people who are sitting on a chair watching for free.

9 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

people just cant convert units in their heads anymore

the school system is failing our children!

People can, I could also walk 2h to work or I can take the Bus or my car and be there in 20 mins, Its more a question of convenience rather then abilty.