Google's "Project Nightingale" to be probed.

Project Nightingale is part of a deal with Google and a major US health firm to collect patients health data. How that will be used is not fully revealed yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50404678

Google is to be investigated over how it is accessing US patient data via a major health firm, the Wall Street Journal reports.

An office of the US Department of Health and Human Services will examine the details of a deal dubbed "Project Nightingale".

Google said patient data was "secure".

Separately, in the UK, the Financial Times (FT) reports that popular health websites are sharing sensitive data with firms including Google.

The Project Nightingale deal with Ascension - a firm that runs 2,600 hospitals in the US - attracted criticism from some when the Wall Street Journal revealed that Google could access patient data without them being notified.

Among those who expressed concern was Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski.

"Privacy protections, particularly when it comes to personal info like your health, is a high priority of mine," she said via Twitter.

Google have responded 

However, in a blog, Google argued that the deal "adheres to industry-wide regulations" and that access to patient data by its employees was controlled.

The tech giant said patient data would not be combined with customer data from other parts of its business.

It added that it was "happy to co-operate" with the federal inquiry.

Well that's nice of Google. Sounds to me like industry wide regulations need more scrutiny. It is easy for industry to be self serving and sail close to the wind to avoid public outrage. This seems like one of those cases.

In its own blog, Ascension said it looked forward to developing artificial intelligence tools for medical purposes with Google's help.

So that's nice, it is all for the best. Ahhh, they want to help us  and it has nothing to do with making massive profits for the shareholders in any way. Honest guv'!

There are times when information should be shared, but in this case consent needs to be give by each patient and not in the form of accepting a cookie or hidden on the 97th page of the small print. IMO, the sharing of sensitive personal information needs more thought. There has to be some restrictions in place to prevent companies miss-use. What is deemed as miss-use also needs to be ratified.

News of Project Nightingale coincided with an FT investigation that revealed how popular health websites in the UK frequently shared personal data with companies including Google, Amazon and Facebook.

Websites such as WebMD and Bupa used cookies - code added to web browsers - that allowed other companies to track users' activity on the web.

The kind of data shared from health websites to others included medical symptoms, diagnoses, and menstrual and fertility information, as well as the names of drugs.

Google told the FT it had strict policies preventing advertisers from using sensitive data to target ads.

So not just Google, Amazon and Facebook too. Collecting details of symptoms, diagnoses, menstrual and fertility information. 

I would have thought the targeting of ads the least of concern here.

Google cares for our health :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Can't advertise to dead people...

Dang, was too slow...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Phill104 said:

So not just Google, Amazon and Facebook too. Collecting details of symptoms, diagnoses, menstrual and fertility information. 

I would have thought the targeting of ads the least of concern here.

Honestly whilst i'm not 100% sure i think doing that might be in breach of certain regulations in the UK.It's certainyl against the spirit of several but not sure they're worded i a way that covers this.

All those google processing power could have been instead used to fold proteins.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Honestly whilst i'm not 100% sure i think doing that might be in breach of certain regulations in the UK.It's certainyl against the spirit of several but not sure they're worded i a way that covers this.

It's certainly in breach of the regulations as they are understood and supported by the common person.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I dont understand the health  system in the US, is health data not collected by the government health system itself?

1 hour ago, floofer said:

I dont understand the health  system in the US, is health data not collected by the government health system itself?

Does the US government even have a health system?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

45 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Feels more like EA's DLC

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

They certainly have a system of eating as many deep fried turkeys as they can....

On a serious note, a friend of mine has dual UK/US citizenship but lived in the US all his life. That was until he got chron's  disease. He was in a high paid job with full health insurance. However after 3 years he could not get health insurance for love or money. He has ended up moving to the UK with the choice of that or death. He said there were a few things he could do but the whole insurance system made his life hell and had a huge effect on his mental well being. His company were supportive but they couldn't get him insured because of his long term ongoing illness. 

Cases like this just make me worry about the future of the US health setup. When big companies like Google, Amazon and Facebook are getting involved it can only be IMO because they see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They suddenly join all those drug firms selling hope for lots of green and ripping off everyone on the prices of drugs.

10 hours ago, Phill104 said:

They certainly have a system of eating as many deep fried turkeys as they can....

On a serious note, a friend of mine has dual UK/US citizenship but lived in the US all his life. That was until he got chron's  disease. He was in a high paid job with full health insurance. However after 3 years he could not get health insurance for love or money. He has ended up moving to the UK with the choice of that or death. He said there were a few things he could do but the whole insurance system made his life hell and had a huge effect on his mental well being. His company were supportive but they couldn't get him insured because of his long term ongoing illness. 

Cases like this just make me worry about the future of the US health setup. When big companies like Google, Amazon and Facebook are getting involved it can only be IMO because they see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They suddenly join all those drug firms selling hope for lots of green and ripping off everyone on the prices of drugs.

You pose a "project nightmare", but the critical side of me can't flaw the reasoning.   What a shame. 

On 11/13/2019 at 8:10 AM, Kilrah said:

Can't advertise to dead people...

Dang, was too slow...

Politicians advertise to dead people all the time at least according to their votes.

I've been through HIPPA training for IT.

If I worked for google in that division, I would be shitting myself. They do NOT play around when it comes to those fines.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs