Motherboards and how much bull!@#$ marketing there is out there...

Hi first of all i want to say that i work as a salesman so i am very quick at recognizing marketing tricks like "natural, award winning..., mothers choice, 20% extra, extra durable, enhancement, premium etc..." So when i see electronic products with tags "OC, Super, Gaming, Pro Edition" this makes my laugh so hard.

Few week ago i bought Ryzen 5 2600 with Asus PRIME a320m-k motherboard. And guess what it works just fine. Internet is full of bull!@#$ (especialy YT channels that are actualy fronts for online stores), they do not recommend a320 motherboard becouse there is no cooling (radiators) on VRM or there is bad configuration of phases i am not an expert. Something about not getting maximum boost of cpu frequencies. And they recommend b450 motherboard... "Gaming version" to be exact. I watched ton of videos and read a lot of articles that tend to suggest that a320 is a office station motherboard or 1200- 1500 ryzen at best, maybe 2200G after bios update, but asus website clearly states that this model support newest Ryzen gen 3 "Zen 2" models without problem( https://www.asus.com/pl/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_CPU/ ). Then when i was choosing GPU i stumble across Nvidia gtx 1660 compareson. Cheapest Palit Storm OC has one fan, 3 heat pipes configuration and was as good when it comes to performance, temperature when compared to 50$ more expansive asus 3x fan model "super mego oc version or some other nonsense"

To add more salt to the wound there is a ton of reddit post about people advising people to not buy cheap MOBO becouse you can't OC it... Hmm If a peron is trying to find the cheapest way to make his CPU, GPU and Ram to work is it really smart for him to buy 100% more expensive MOBO that will not be enough to OC his CPU without better Cooling Fan and/or larger Case.

How much bull!@#$ there is when it come to MOBOs marketing. Do we really need all this cooling for normal use without OC <== which is propably like 95% of the population, Do i really need RGB support, M2 drive or SDD drive (omg my files copy faster - now my life is complete). Is it really worth it to add these extra dollars into motherboard instead of buying faster CPU itself or next gen GPU chipset.

So can you guys tell me what is the diffrence for a normal nonOC consumer between

asus prime a320m-k

gigabyte ab350m-ds3h v2

gigabyte b450m s2h

gigabyte b450 gaming

Other then GIVE ME MORE MONEY cuz you dum!

3 minutes ago, aaronvold47 said:

So can you guys tell me what is the diffrence for a normal nonOC consumer between

asus prime a320m-k

gigabyte ab350m-ds3h v2

gigabyte b450m s2h

gigabyte b450 gaming

Other then GIVE ME MORE MONEY cuz you dum!

B450 motherboards have vastly superior memory speed support, and for a gaming focused machine, especially with a Ryzen CPU, that's important.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

RAM speed

overclocking

VRM count and quality

features like wifi, better audio, more M.2 slots, that kinda stuff

overall build quality of the mobo itself

etc

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, aaronvold47 said:

Do we really need all this cooling for normal use without OC <== which is propably like 95% of the population, Do i really need RGB support, M2 drive or SDD drive (omg my files copy faster - now my life is complete). Is it really worth it to add these extra dollars into motherboard instead of buying faster CPU itself or next gen GPU chipset.

You may not need any of those things but there are people that do. And that's why high-end motherboards exist.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

If you run the CPU stock, and buy commodity RAM, it's fine. Even on-board audio has been decent on recent budget boards. Same goes for capacitors, not too long ago cheaper motherboards had caps which went pop within five yeats. That being said, once you demand anything more from the motherboard, be it better IO, memory support, VRMs or specific features like more nVME slots, buying a higher end motherboard isn't that large an investment.

14 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

RAM speed

overclocking

VRM count and quality

features like wifi, better audio, more M.2 slots, that kinda stuff

overall build quality of the mobo itself

etc

So if i have a320m will 3900x reach it maximum boost speed (stock without overclocking), What is the diffrance between 4 capacitors and 4+3 and 8+2? How much does does that radiator on "gigabyte ab350m-ds3h v2" helps compere to the one covering Gaming verion. Is it like 1-2 degrees or is it bullcrap?

Just now, aaronvold47 said:

So if i have a320m will 3900x reach it maximum boost speed (stock without overclocking), What is the diffrance between 4 capacitors and 4+3 and 8+2? How much does does that radiator on "gigabyte ab350m-ds3h v2" helps compere to the one covering Gaming verion. Is it like 1-2 degrees or is it bullcrap?

The 3900X would be uh... yeah you're not hitting max boost, not having a stable experience because the VRMs on an A320 board will overheat, hell you might brick the mobo or the chip, IDK what actually happens when you put a power hungry chip in a mobo that can't feed it. 

There's more to the VRMs than only phases, the quality of said phases matters as well. I'm not an authority on the subject so I can't explain it all to you, but there's limitations to how much power they can feed to something. The less power the push the cooler they run. So if I have a VRM setup that can push 600W to a CPU, it'll run nice and cool when only pushing 200W. But if I try and run a CPU that pulls 200W on a mobo that can only push 150W, there's gonna be issues. Temp differences between proper VRM cooling and shit cooling is probably like 10-30C, not 1-2. 

I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaally confused as to where you're seeing a radiator on a motherboard? Even in custom looped systems the radiator mounts to the case. If you mean the heatsinks on the VRMs, those are heatsinks. If they have fins, then the finned part is called a finstack. A radiator is quite different. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Well chipset wise, there are differences. Do they matter for you? That's up to you.

They matter for some people, but for others they don't. It's all depending on what you want and what you need.

https://optocrypto.com/amd-b450-vs-b350-vs-x470-differences-between-chipsets/

To list the difference between the gigabyte B450M-S2H and the gigabyte B450 Gaming X

2 DIMM slots vs 4

4 SATA ports vs 6

Gaming has better VRM and better VRM heatsinks (important for CPU's with a high TDP or systems that are known to have high internal temps)

1 PCI-Ex16 slot vs 2

stereo audio vs 7.1 surround audio

6 usb ports vs 8 (both have 4 usb 3.0 ports, others are 2.0)

vga/dvi/hdmi vs dvi/hdmi

dedicated ps/2 mouse and keyboard port vs single combo ps/2 port.

This is just for those 2 ports that I can find.

There is probably more and both are still quite basic boards.

Marketing is everywhere, obviously but most people here don't even look at that stuff.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

12 minutes ago, aaronvold47 said:

Unlikely that the 3900x runs at foll speed because the VRM will be pushed really hard, overheat and throttle back.

We are not talking about caps here, but about mosfets, they decide how good the VRM actually is.

You can get a few phases but with mosfets that are rated for 60A (quite high) but you can also get more phases and get mosfets with a lower rating (40A).

If you want to know how a VRM exactly works:

Yes it does take half an hour to fully understand it. That's how complex they are if you really want to understand it.

edit: also we are not talking about 1-2 degrees but more around 10-20 degrees. VRM's can get HOT, like 105°C before they hold back.

To understand temps and watts and amps and everything that comes with it, this video explains it!

Also it's 40 minutes long...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaally confused as to where you're seeing a radiator on a motherboard? Even in custom looped systems the radiator mounts to the case. If you mean the heatsinks on the VRMs, those are heatsinks. If they have fins, then the finned part is called a finstack. A radiator is quite different. 

Good to know... Thx for correcting me

9 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Unlikely that the 3900x runs at foll speed because the VRM will be pushed really hard, overheat and throttle back.

We are not talking about caps here, but about mosfets, they decide how good the VRM actually is.

You can get a few phases but with mosfets that are rated for 60A (quite high) but you can also get more phases and get mosfets with a lower rating (40A).

edit: also we are not talking about 1-2 degrees but more around 10-20 degrees. VRM's can get HOT, like 105°C before they hold back.

So why is it so hidden knowlage. Shouldn't it be like the most important spec in stores. And why asus website don't worn about this. So if i understand it correctly my Ryzen 5 2600 will not reach it's maximum boost speed, voltage to cpu will drop... but motherboard will not just randomly explode after 5 hours of gaming in a hot summer day.

Is Everest is still a thing to check PC components and test stuff?

Just now, aaronvold47 said:

So why is it so hidden knowlage. Shouldn't it be like the most important spec in stores. And why asus website don't worn about this. So if i understand it correctly my Ryzen 5 2600 will not reach it's maximum boost speed, voltage to cpu will drop... but motherboard will not just randomly explode after 5 hours of gaming in a hot summer day.

Is Everest is still a thing to check PC components and test stuff?

I have honestly no idea. Probably because it's too complex for the marketing department?

It is important, but also very complex because it can easily take an hour to explain why vrm X is better than vrm Y.

It is very likely the 2600 will work fine on a B320 board tho, as long as the BIOS is updated because when B320 launched there was only the 1000-series.

It doesn't need a lot of power so it doesn't need a strong VRM. The simple rule is: get a board that has a heatsink on the VRM. I basically ignore everything without a heatsink. VRM's produce heat and that heat needs to go somewhere. Even if it is a small heatsink it's a lot better than nothing.

Everest is long gone, however it's called aida64 now and that is used a LOT. It's really good, but not free.

That and HWinfo are good tools to monitor and test everything.

42 minutes ago, aaronvold47 said:

marketing doesn't have to give useful facts, it just has to be effective for sales.

If you don't have time for research on motherboards, there are reliable tier lists out fairly early for each gen (just google), a decent b450 mobo is 100usd, not much savings to be had there.

The 3900x is another beast, the cheapest motherboard i'd use for it is the x470-f or the x570 elite (personal preference)

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, aaronvold47 said:

Because the general public don't care, so there isn't a big pressure for them to be clearer with what they're using on their stuff? You're entering enthusiast territory.

53 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

dude you took this way too personally.

It's pretty much mandatory for science-subject students like I do to say, that you yourself is a big radiator for your infrared radiation output

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I recall Gamers Nexus has a video up on VRMs heating. They took a lower end board with bare VRMs and ran an overclocked CPU on it. What ended up happening was the system would look fine while the VRMs were getting well over their Max temperature rating, and it ended up causing the system to intermittently throttle or crash. 

Under the normal designed loads they were fine, but once you got beyond it, they gave no warning at all that there was a problem; the only way you'd figure it out was to put thermocouples on the VRM modules to check.

Motherboards are complex machines that a lot of money goes through, so there's going to be a lot of dodgy sales talk around them too, and if it's expensive to implement and doesn't sell boards, it's going to go on the chopping block.