[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

7 minutes ago, Inetkal said:

should I send back my rmx750w and buy a formula gold 550w? (BP-FM550ULAG-9R) 50euro difference. 

ryzen 3600+b450 atx+2x8b ddr4 3200+1tb m2+2tb 7200 rpm. waiting for nvidia 3000. no plan about OC

-50 EUR difference ? As in, Bitfenix are cheaper ? Yeah, why not. 550W would be enough even if you will do OC.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Are those situations in which those psu may fail anywhere or known?

Just now, bin3 said:

Are those situations in which those psu may fail anywhere or known?

which ones exactly? if you mean in general there's a lot of reasons

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

which ones exactly? if you mean in general there's a lot of reasons

no, i mean the ones that are like "in some situations" "in only specific situations" part of the list.

1 minute ago, bin3 said:

no, i mean the ones that are like "in some situations" "in only specific situations" part of the list.

there are notes in a spoiler just below the title

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

there are notes in a spoiler just below the title

ok thank you

A sealed brand new Corsair CX550 just received from a random store tested live streamed on YouuTube. Advance the video to about one hour and four minutes where the test actually starts. 

The Corsair CX has no ptotection at all.

,At  550W everything is at acceptable levels except tempreature in a controled ambient temeprature of only 24 celcius degrees, The psu over heats and there is no over heat protection. 

At 605W average ripple reaches 200mv for 12v, 73mv for 5vsb, 65mv for 3,3v, 78mv for 5v and the psu never turns off. Temperature is even higher. 

From 650W to 690W ripple looks better at first because they turned the psu off lowering the temperature but in a matter of seconds ripple keeps increasing and the psu never turns off.

The only protection is that the psu will turn off at 692W but from 691W and below the psu will keep working no matter how bad all conditions are and the conditions are horrible.  

The Corsair VS was also tested in another live stream and it is even worse.

2 hours ago, SexualHealing said:

The Corsair CX has no ptotection at all.

The Corsair VS was also tested in another live stream and it is even worse.

That is absolute bullshit and the reviewer knows it.

He's overloading the PSUs and expecting one of two things to happen.  Either OPP trips before the ripple gets out of spec or is hoping the PSU knows the PSU ripple is out of spec and shuts down.

But the fact of the matter is, even a Seasonic Prime or Seasonic Prime based Corsair AX does the exact same thing (which Aris has proven if you want third party proof).  It's a stupid test and the results are stupid.

How can i differentiate between a Seasonic Focus GM and FM model??? They look identical and i don't know which one is the seller trying to sell me.

14 minutes ago, juanme555 said:

How can i differentiate between a Seasonic Focus GM and FM model??? They look identical and i don't know which one is the seller trying to sell me.

@LukeSavenije

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, juanme555 said:

The FM model has "SeaSonic" colored gold, label on the fan is gold and says Focus Gold on the side. The GM model labeling is all white as you can see by their own website

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

2 hours ago, juanme555 said:

It's on the box ...

Spoiler

17-151-203-V06.jpg

Untitled-1_926e03c4-90be-448c-8a55-960ef

4 hours ago, SexualHealing said:

A sealed brand new Corsair CX550 just received from a random store tested live streamed on YouuTube. Advance the video to about one hour and four minutes where the test actually starts.

That's an interesting find.

First of all, as you can see in the review, there's OPP, it works, shutting down on 25% overload, and according to Aris's testing OTP are set at 190°C for Great Wall sourced version (this lineup are double-sourced to CWT and GW), the unit didn't reach that mark in this test so it didn't shutdown, whether that high or not i'm not ready to judge but a lot of PSUs have OTP set somewhere 150°+ C. There are no 'over-ripple' protection sadly, i guess it's too difficult\costly to implement, usually OPP and OTP should kick in before a PSU goes out of spec. If this is indeed valid test results this might indicate that at least GW version of this PSU has troubles keeping ripple in spec at high-overload, but this is hardly high-end PSU and i wouldn't expect it to be able to anyway (in comparison with Seasonic Focus for example), who in their mind would overload 50\60$ PSU 25% past it's rated wattage ?

Lastly, with no English translation or any graphs\tables there's no way to know what's going on there. This hardly qualifies as review until they make proper article or video out of this 2.5 hours of talking head.

1 hour ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

Are Be Quiet!'s System Power U9's equivalent to System Power 9's?

Looking at the review, yeah, it should qualify for tier B too (double-forward CWT platform with OTP and UVP, the only downsides Aris found are 85°C bulk caps, sleeve-bearing fan and low-ish hold-up time which are all kinds irrelevant for such budget PSU.

20 minutes ago, argoradium said:

Can I request a review on the Xigmatek centauro PSU?

Here are internal shots of the PSU I found online

http://www.f14lab.com/2018/05/review-xigmatek-centauro-s-c450550650.html

Thanks

Double-forward. Load regulation are barely in-spec with 3-5% at 5V, ripple are okay tho it seems. Apparently he didn't test OTP and manufacturer doesn't claim it anyway. So maybe lower-end tier B for office systems, preferably smth with iGPU or maybe GTX1660\RX570 at most ? Regulation are concerning so don't put anything power-hungry on it, who knows how it would hold-up over time.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That is absolute bullshit and the reviewer knows it.

He's overloading the PSUs and expecting one of two things to happen.  Either OPP trips before the ripple gets out of spec or is hoping the PSU knows the PSU ripple is out of spec and shuts down.

But the fact of the matter is, even a Seasonic Prime or Seasonic Prime based Corsair AX does the exact same thing (which Aris has proven if you want third party proof).  It's a stupid test and the results are stupid.

How is it bullshit? He has been testing many PSUs in the very same way live. Among many others he tested the cheapest Super Flower in the very same way, the King non-ECO series more specifically the Super Flower Bronze King and it turns off with 20mv ripple right after giving signs it will get out of control but it turns off before that. Other cheap PSUs did better than Corsair CX.

The reviewer actually was for years accused of receiving money from Corsair. And probably will keep being accused, he got very embarassed with the results in the video and tried very hard to make the PSU look better talking to people but it is what is seen in the video. He also worked for Corsair.

I particlarly do not trust you when it comes to Corsair, you are the marketing director of Corsair. Your job is to promote Corsair at any cost. Aris owns a company with you.

6 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

you are the marketing director of Corsair. Your job is to promote Corsair at any cost. Aris owns a company with you.

1: he's director of R&D, and has in that regard nothing to do with the marketing of corsair (https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-gerow-33b9ba6)

2: Aris works for cybenetics and has outside of his testing nothing to do with corsair or any of the OEMs producing for them

i get what you mean here, i get what Jon means here and to a certain point you both have more than valid points

this won't be something i do an immediate decision on here, but I'll take a look

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

1: he's director of R&D, and has in that regard nothing to do with the marketing of corsair (https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-gerow-33b9ba6)

2: Aris works for cybenetics and has outside of his testing nothing to do with corsair or any of the OEMs producing for them

i get what you mean here, i get what Jon means here and to a certain point you both have more than valid points

this won't be something i do an immediate decision on here, but I'll take a look

jonnyguru and the reviewer with a Corsair t-shiirt. In the video jonny claims to be the marketing technical manager of Corsair.

11 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

jonnyguru and the reviewer with a Corsair t-shiirt. In the video jonny claims to be the marketing technical manager of Corsair.

again, I've always known him as R&D director and designer... but he's free to correct me

18 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

That was in 2014

2.JPG.f96a9f179c9f6e234cc374700d8f0bb5.JPG

Sure, i get what you mean, Jon are Corsair affiliate so with all due respect he can't be trusted in regards to defending Corsair PSUs in this situation.

Before we make any decision we yet to get more info on that review you shared, 2.5 hour talking head format isn't very convenient to analyse.

For those not familiar with the Corsair CX reviewer in the video.

He was and still is an overlock competitor holding some world records for overclock.

He did jonnyguru`s course, some of what he learned was with jonny himself.

He used to work for Corsair many years ago.

Currently he works for Galax which is a huge GPU manufacturer. No Corsair competitor, Galax does not make PSUs. He does all the Galax warranty service/repair in his country. 

He always says good things about Corsair and even jonnyguru.

He used to release pre-recorded PSU tests, but after so many years of accusations of getting paid by Corsair and sometimes other brands he decided to do all PSU tests live. He does not even choose the PSU that will be tested, it is chosen by people on Facebook. He always buy the PSUs in a retail store and shows proof of that, also always shows PSU serial number, sealed PSU box and sealed PSU screw. He also examinates the PSU internals so that anyone can check if it is the same as some othe runit.

The methodoly is exactly the same for all PSUs, if it was overloaded all others were too. 

About the video @SexualHealing sent earlier

a huge shoutout to Poiu from Tweakpc for checking this and talking through it

min 40:53 

Wattage mode is stupid because 
it depends on the voltage, he increases the ampere until 550W is reached. If the voltage drops it becomes a problem. 
as it looks like he has four Rails a 12V PRogrammed
each 115W

Now I understand. 
minute 42:16 
550W load
644,9W
85.3%

Min 42:37 
voltage looks ok, but I don't have a comparison of how far they have fallen.

guys this video is garbage

Min 42:51

i will not see his face, but what is shown on the oscilloscope, what settings are there and and ...

10 minutes of information stretched over two hours

unknown-60.png.a0020c884a640782297b636d2534fca5.png

That's odd, he's always had a cyclical spike no matter what line he was on.

This is some kind of measurement error. This is not normal.