[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

5 minutes ago, euviridis said:

quick question, is focus gold the same as focus plus gold? I'm eyeing the focus plus gold after unsuccessful attempts of finding rmx series

Newer and older revision Focus are distinguished by model postfix (it's on the box or in the part number), FX and FM are older, GX and GM are newer, there's also Platinum rated PX which has both old and new revisions, in this can you can distinguish them by the looks of the box or casing of the unit (and older ones are called Focus Plus Platinum whereas newer one are just Focus PX).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

focus gold (gm/fm) is semi-modular

focus plus gold (gx/fx) is fully modular

just to clarify, fx belongs to tier A too, right?

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Newer and older revision Focus are distinguished by model postfix (it's on the box or in the part number), FX and FM are older, GX and GM are newer, there's also Platinum rated PX which has both old and new revisions, in this can you can distinguish them by the looks of the box or casing of the unit (and older ones are called Focus Plus Platinum whereas newer one are just Focus PX).

is newer (gx) better than older (fx)?

sorry but since Corsair rm 2019 is arguably worse than rmx 2018, i cant be sure ?

Just now, euviridis said:

just to clarify, fx belongs to tier A too, right?

fx has had some gpu tripping issues, so it's not

but by now FX shouldn't be sold anymore, since it's made EOL by Seasonic

the new GX/GM models look like this

IMG_20191015_190831.thumb.jpg.6b08c074fb75e1c09d76cfbdf7e31bfe.jpg

6 minutes ago, euviridis said:

sorry but since Corsair rm 2019 is arguably worse than rmx 2018, i cant be sure ?

Seasonic Focus are also arguably no better than RM 2019 either so go for the cheapest of either, assuming you have Focus GM\GX there.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It should be added in the next revision i guess.

7 hours ago, Juular said:

Seasonic Focus are also arguably no better than RM 2019 either so go for the cheapest of either, assuming you have Focus GM\GX there.

I'm concerned about noise, which one is better in term of noise level?

3 hours ago, euviridis said:

I'm concerned about noise, which one is better in term of noise level?

zz.jpg.ff7380dd896fdefd268a43e67f96fe4e.jpg

Seasonic are quieter but i don't think you would notice 15-20 dBa, although there were reports of coil whine with RM related to low sleep states.

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

zz.jpg.ff7380dd896fdefd268a43e67f96fe4e.jpg

Seasonic are better but i don't think you would notice 15-20 dBa, although there were reports of coil whine with RM related to low sleep states.

that graph below says phanteks, is it correct?

51 minutes ago, euviridis said:

that graph below says phanteks, is it correct?

Yes, it's rebadged Focus GX.

Hey, guys! A store is selling a Cougar GX-S 650W for only Php 3200 or $64. They say it's brand new and it's their last batch of stocks hence the price cut. Is it a good unit? Couldn't care less about modularity. I'm currently searching for reviews for the unit.

3 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

Is it a good unit?

it's cx-level, as indicated by the list

it's made by sifra/high power, even if Cougar is owned by HEC. 

reviews can be found here:

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2017/06/26/cougar-gx-s650-650w-power-supply/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cougar-gx-s550/

This is interesting...

Vw4ayAZzpOIfSkRh.jpg

BRDO7dKcGgupsopM.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

This is interesting...

@VegetableStu linked it to me a bit ago... I'll copy my comment what i said there

actually, i saw that earlier and it looks super weird

seasonic doesn't want to tell me anything yet, but there are 4 dc-dc modules visible in renders (two in the "connect" part and two in the PSU itself). either way would theoretically work:

• stepping down the voltage from 12v down inside the PSU like the normal version of this
  • stepping down the voltage in the connect part from 12v in the same way, but at a later moment

it's confusing, but interesting...

and with that, that would make this the first 12vo psu sold to the consumer market, if the latter is true and there's a mistake in the PSU render itself

On 3/2/2020 at 10:25 PM, LukeSavenije said:

high ripple, with the 80+ white version even going slightly out of spec

CM is aware of this and have a fixed version ready, but it's not in production yet due to some problems in China

I have already bought in january MWE white v2 500w(i get it its white, but i thought its the same as v2), because it was at the time on a list of acceptable/non dangerous entry level PSU's (couldnt have bought better psu because of limited choices and raidmax monolopy on my market).

Do i need to plan to replace it in the future, i have rx 570 + ryzen 1600 with 2ssd and 1 hdd. Is my pc in danger?

thanks

1 minute ago, Hensly said:

Do i need to plan to replace it in the future, i have rx 570 + ryzen 1600 with 2ssd and 1 hdd. Is my pc in danger?

I'm not entirely sure if cm is replacing the older units with their new design when they come out... I'm try to keep people as updated as possible, but so far i don't have any green lights that the second revision is in production. 

I appreciate your hard work! 

I can maybe get my hand on better quality be quiet unit to replace my CM mwe v2 white by the end of the year.

Is that too long of a time to wait, my pc is pretty much always on.

I am sorry, if im making you uncomfortable with my question or if im asking too much, but i have nobody else to ask this question.

P.S. i think that you mentioned in the past post, that you dont like semi-passive mode on low end units like mwe v2, and i can report back that fan only never spins in the first 5 mins of morning boot and pretty much never goes back to that state even after 2 hours of idle. So its like it doesnt exist honestly in practice. Fake semi passive in a way.

3 minutes ago, Hensly said:

I can maybe get my hand on better quality be quiet unit to replace my CM mwe v2 white by the end of the year.

again, if cm were to replace people's old versions with RMA, this wouldn't really be a problem

4 minutes ago, Hensly said:

Is that too long of a time to wait, my pc is pretty much always on.

it's not groundbreaking

4 minutes ago, Hensly said:

P.S. i think that you mentioned in the past post, that you dont like semi-passive mode on low end units like mwe v2,

and ironically, that's exactly the thing they're removing in the coming revision

My suggestion. DC-DC conversion, voltage regulation below 1% and ripple below for example 50mv should be required for highest tiers (S-A). Values may be set differently but i think its a good idea to change requirements. 

16 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

My suggestion. DC-DC conversion, voltage regulation below 1% and ripple below for example 50mv should be required for highest tiers (S-A). Values may be set differently but i think its a good idea to change requirements. 

DC-DC (well, or mag-amp, but there are very few of them and none of them are higher than tier B) are already a requirement for tier B and up, and as far as i know voltage regulation and ripple suppression on all tier A units and up are within margins you've suggested anyway (maybe at least 90% of them).

I also thought on how to split tier A as there seems to be a few units that rather qualify as mid-end rather than high end but the only thing i can think of are 50°C rating and that would detier all Seasonic units including smth like PRIME Titanium (surprise, they're 40°C at 100% load, just found out this today lol) which would make another shitstorm.

Maybe also fan bearing type but again, AFAIK there are none with sleeves in tier A and up and distinguishing hydro-dynamic and rifle bearings seems silly, they're both good.

i recently purchased the seasonic focus plus 80 gold rated 1000watt psu to upgrade from my master watt 650 semi fanless. due to having a new gpu (xfx 5700) and r5 1600af @4.1 ghz, 2x8gb 3466 hyperx ram (outthebox!{J DIE) msi b450I gaming plus ac motherboard, 1x2TB adata xpg 8200pro nvme ssd, 2x500gb wd blue ssds (sata), 1x1tb wdblue 7200rpm 6gbs hdd, 10 uphere 120mm case fans, master liquid 240ml aio, and an rgb strip, anyow the mention of FOCUS from seasonic has me very concerned as well as me ordering the focus plus i got the dang gon focus without the + so just the GX1000 my question is { is this power supply one of which is DONT BUY on the list}? i have an option to return for full refund as well as they pay the shipping. i just need to know if its worth keeping or am i somewhat doomed? new to the forum read as much as i could about rules and stuff. but this is my first time posting i do belive. so if someone could let me know i would be more than grateful!

case is the enermax saberay ADV... (NOTE) current system doesnt have 10 fans waiting for the case to make it here..

89257690_637084056861479_8675161805602947072_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, Craxton said:

GX1000

As you can see in the list itself, Seasonic Focus GX is not in the don't buy list, you're good.

8 minutes ago, Craxton said:

is this power supply one of which is DONT BUY on the list}

this is the new (2019) focus GX, not the old one

except that i'm highly questioning why you got about 3-4 times the wattage you're using in capacity here...