[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

9 minutes ago, CarbonVacuum said:

Plus, where are the long term research papers regarding loads and efficiency affecting longevity? Until those say that loads and efficiency do not alter longevity, I will continue to not want to tax my PSU to a huge degree.

so with that i can say you're saying bs because there's no evidence? or isn't it how this works?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

so with that i can say you're saying bs because there's no evidence? or isn't it how this works?

Not really sure what you are saying. I think I was clear in my previous posts. 

Just now, CarbonVacuum said:

And? Where are the research papers that indicate how loads and efficiency affect longevity?

the question in hand is not how loads and efficiency affect longevity that is just a complete overgeneralization  , The context was does efficiency  of properly designed modern  consumer PC PSUs  that are recommended in this threads affect  its longevity ?

For industry leading professionals and subject matter experts this is not an intriguing thesis that would require  a probabilistic deduction  based on statistical inference and probabilistic calculation to  scientifically link a cause and effect , so sadly no they did not do a research for a question that would be asked on the forums  

The best i can do for you is offer you what one of the aforementioned leading industry professionals who is a director of R&D at one of the Major PSU manufacturers did say 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:49 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Improved efficiency does mean there is less heat generated.  This is true.  That doesn't mean the product is more reliable

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

5 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

who is a director of R&D at one of the Major PSU manufacturers did say 

you're allowed to say he's from corsair ?

3 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

They're on the list. Tier D+.

Since the GX and PX are minor refreshes, wouldn't it make more sense to tier them together with the Focus Plus? Or were the compatibility issues and shutdowns completely resolved with the new series?

There is more than one question at hand. The one about longevity is one that I posed. I've read several claims saying longevity is not a concern re:efficicy or load. I'm paraphrasing.

I merely asked for a research paper backing up this claim. I also merely stated that until such time that I read that research, i choose to run my PSU at as close to peak efficiency and roughly 50% draw under load, as I can. This is what I choose to do with my PSU. And other things I own that can have varying degrees of strain put on them. This outlook has given me longevity with PCs and other things that cost a lot of money. 

For all those who want to do things differently, it should go without saying that it's their prerogative. Just like this is mine. Why this seems contentious, I'll never know.

I see no reason for all the fuss over this view, and I see no reason to alter this view in the slightest. I am happy to learn otherwise, if such research is out there. Who knows, maybe there is research out there, or research in the works in this area. Maybe not. Either way, at this point in time, that is how I treat my components and purchases. because it is what I see as the most reasonable approach with what I currently know. It's no more complicated than that.

15 minutes ago, Cophee said:

Since the GX and PX are minor refreshes, wouldn't it make more sense to tier them together with the Focus Plus? Or were the compatibility issues and shutdowns completely resolved with the new series?

they fixed the overload ripple issues between fx and gx (as well as old px and new px and fm to gm), which is why they're in the same tier

if focus didn't have this problem in the first place, it'd be tier a

An overpriced but quality ARGB PSU

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

they fixed the overload ripple issues between fx and gx (as well as old px and new px and fm to gm), which is why they're in the same tier

if focus didn't have this problem in the first place, it'd be tier a

Thank you for the insight. Between then FD Ion+ plat 660w and the new Focus PX 650w, which one would you recommend? I like that the Ion+ runs quieter, but the high inrush current at 230V worries me, which is why I'm leaning towards the PX.

22 minutes ago, Cophee said:

Thank you for the insight. Between then FD Ion+ plat 660w and the new Focus PX 650w, which one would you recommend? I like that the Ion+ runs quieter, but the high inrush current at 230V worries me, which is why I'm leaning towards the PX.

i'd take the ion+ personally

the inrush likely won't trip anything, as it's only for a couple ms, and they're both not to a stupidly high level

29 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

An overpriced but quality ARGB PSU

and already tiered as leadex iii

though i separated the 650w, as it voltage dropped to 11.4v in review

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i'd take the ion+ personally

Any reason why in particular? Besides the noise.

1 hour ago, CarbonVacuum said:

it should go without saying that it's their prerogative. Just like this is mine. Why this seems contentions I'll never know.

Because you got all over a soapbox about it and started to demand research papers from random people on the internet to prove a negative that you assumed? 

I mean for real though?  You crafted an awful lot of effort-post asking for super-duper details on why your idea is or is not wrong, and yet you did not produce your own "research papers" to act as a baseline for such an onerous requirement to backup the idea that a modern PSU would lose longevity if you ran it between 60-90% load instead of 50% (holding temperatures in check while doing so of course and not creating a torture experiment where OTP would trip).

You wanna always have a high wattage PSU, great, it's a free country.  But you seemed to want to evangelise the idea when you start asking everyone else to adopt the understanding, or instead requiring that we prove a negative to challenge your position.  This isn't debate class, it's a tech forum.

47 minutes ago, Cophee said:

Any reason why in particular? Besides the noise.

mostly the 40c vs 50c rating

13 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Because you got all over a soapbox about it and started to demand research papers from random people on the internet to prove a negative that you assumed? 

I mean for real though?  You crafted an awful lot of effort-post asking for super-duper details on why your idea is or is not wrong, and yet you did not produce your own "research papers" to act as a baseline for such an onerous requirement to backup the idea that a modern PSU would lose longevity if you ran it between 60-90% load instead of 50% (holding temperatures in check while doing so of course and not creating a torture experiment where OTP would trip).

You wanna always have a high wattage PSU, great, it's a free country.  But you seemed to want to evangelise the idea when you start asking everyone else to adopt the understanding, or instead requiring that we prove a negative to challenge your position.  This isn't debate class, it's a tech forum.

No, I wasn't asking anyone to prove a negative. Nor did I get on a soapbox. I just stated an opinion.

I wasn't asking anyone to adopt my opinion. These are all claims that are in your head. I just didn't blindly accept assertions that were made. That's it.

I'm not blindly accepting that longevity is not affected by load over the years, without science to back it up. Nor should I. Get over it.

Why this is contentious, I'll never know. I am aware that this is a tech forum. That's why i posted things regarding tech. 

I'm not blindly accepting that longevity is not affected by load over the years, without science to back it up. Nor should I.

Great, I don't blindly accept that IT DOES.  Where are your research papers that proves a modern PSU lifespan is directly tied to what load it runs at (within spec)?  If you aren't willing to backup your claim, than it's just as flawed (by your logic) as you make the other opinion out to be.  Guilty until research paper proves it.

Get over it.

*tisk tisk* now who's being contentious?

23 hours ago, Tenma White said:

1 last final question I promise. 
Which is overall better? 
Corsair CX650M $78 or Corsair CX 650 $80 or Gigabyte G750H $85?

The CX is better than the CXM, so take your pick between the CX and GH. Perhaps which ever has the better warranty?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

10 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

mostly the 40c vs 50c rating

Would the performance difference between the two be noticeable in any way? In OC stability perhaps?

42 minutes ago, Cophee said:

Would the performance difference between the two be noticeable in any way? In OC stability perhaps?

it has more to do with the testing. a 50c rating means it's made to sustain full power at that temperature, technically making it better

funnily enough all the seasonic sold PSUs are 40c rated for some reason

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

it has more to do with the testing. a 50c rating means it's made to sustain full power at that temperature, technically making it better.

I should have made it a bit more clear, I meant general performance, not the temperature rating. I assume ripple suppression and other electrical performance where the PX is better than the Ion+ would only show up in testing, and would not improve real world usage in any way?

1 minute ago, Cophee said:

So the ripple suppression and other electrical performance where the PX is better than the Ion+ would only show up in testing, and would not improve real world usage in any way?

from what i've seen with some mining testing, below 50 impacts little on the lifespan, while above 50 can

neither are at that level at usual loads

48 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

from what i've seen with some mining testing, below 50 impacts little on the lifespan, while above 50 can

neither are at that level at usual loads

Sorry, I meant general performance, not temperature. I've edited my previous post.

5 minutes ago, Cophee said:

Sorry, I meant general performance, not temperature. I've edited my previous post.

my comment still stands, though i forgot to make it more clear

voltage regulation is good on both

both have a full line protection

both are in ripple good enough that it won't make a big difference in lifespan

On 12/29/2019 at 9:54 PM, LogicWeasel said:

The difference that determines A+ vs Tier A is (if looking at the list details methodology spoiler):

"well configured multirail"

So one can presume that means the RMi has multirail, while the RMx does not.

Why presume when I literally said they both are supposed to have the exact same internals? Unless you presume that the addition of monitoring hardware/software equates to a "well configured multirail"?

22 minutes ago, Krack said:

Why presume when I literally said they both are supposed to have the exact same internals?

because they don't have the same internals?