[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Just to let you know these don't link to the Revolution X't series.  

hmm... odd error from my side

the original x't ended on x30

but i'm on it

7 minutes ago, Harry P. Ness said:

What is the power supply overheating temp?

i think you mean overheating protection set point ?

it differs from one PSU to another according to the quality of the components inside , and up to the manufacturer to determine 

Over Temperature Protection (OTP): Since the ATX spec recommends at least 50 °C operating temperature for continuous full power delivery, a PSU has to have an appropriate OTP triggering point, if it is equipped with OTP of course. In PSUs with only a 40 °C rating, OTP’s triggering point inevitably will be lower.

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

Cooler Master V Semi-Modular 

That implies that semi-modular and fully modular versions are different ? I don't see fully-modular in the list, no reviews on it ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

14 minutes ago, Juular said:

That implies that semi-modular and fully modular versions are different

indeed they are

the modular version of it would be v-series 2013

i found an evga gold 1000 GQ at a good price, but how good is it  and why is it in tier b+?

3 hours ago, Owlcat said:

i found an evga gold 1000 GQ at a good price, but how good is it  and why is it in tier b+?

it's based off the same platform be quiet used for the pure power 11. it's as good as it's tiered, so if you can get a higher quality, but lower wattage psu for the same price, I'd get that

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/riotoro-enigma-850w-g2-power-supply-review/5/

that is supposed to be a rebranded seasonic focus plus 850 , what is interesting is the unit cuts off power at 107% overload , which if its an accurate measurement by the reviewer mean that it has its OPP set at 107% nominal , a pretty aggressive OPP and much lower than what was set for the seasonic @137% nominal, if this measurement was accurate i think they are trying to avoid out of spec ripples 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

5 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

that is supposed to be a rebranded seasonic focus plus 850 , what is interesting is the unit cuts off power at 107% overload

the weird thing is that aris measures much higher on the same wattage unit...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/riotoro-enigma-850w-psu,4910-6.html

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the weird thing is that aris measures much higher on the same wattage unit...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/riotoro-enigma-850w-psu,4910-6.html

no thats a different unit baset on a cwt platform , the one i linked is the g2 version 

PC Part Picker

Just now, Mezoxin said:

no thats a different unit baset on a cwt platform , the one i linked is the g2 version 

oh wait... my bad, actually

that was the only one i could find... i'll discuss it internally a bit, i might just move it up since it doesn't reach the problematic point

for now... not much else i can say

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh wait... my bad, actually

that was the only one i could find... i'll discuss it internally a bit, i might just move it up since it doesn't reach the problematic point

for now... not much else i can say

Beware that high opp setting is actually required for psu’s to be able to handle high transient spike loads of high end gpu’s , there is a reason why most psu’s have opp set at 125 or higher 

PC Part Picker

So what is the difference between a high end gaming system and a midrange one? im building a pc with a i7 9700k, an rtx 2070 super, ram at 3000mhz and nothing overclocked, is this a midrange system or not and what would be the problem in using something in b or b+ tier for a high end system?

3 minutes ago, Jaking said:

would be the problem in using something in b or b+ tier for a high end system?

tier b+? generally not

tier b are mostly double forward topology, and are likely to whine on that level of GPUs due to an overloaded transformer. it's nothing dangerous, but can be really annoying

21 minutes ago, Jaking said:

So what is the difference between a high end gaming system and a midrange one? im building a pc with a i7 9700k, an rtx 2070 super, ram at 3000mhz and nothing overclocked, is this a midrange system or not and what would be the problem in using something in b or b+ tier for a high end system?

No problems really it's just that when you're spending 1k$ on other components, spending extra 30$ for high-end PSU with better protections set, quieter operation and better performance overall sounds like a good idea.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

The only psu from tier A that i can find with stock in my country is the corsair tx850m gold, but it only has 1 4+4 cpu cable and my motherboard is a z390 aorus with a 8+4 cpu power connector, can i just use the 8 pin and leave the 4 empty?

Just now, Jaking said:

The only psu from tier A that i can find with stock in my country is the corsair tx850m gold, but it only has 1 4+4 cpu cable and my motherboard is a z390 aorus with a 8+4 cpu power connector, can i just use the 8 pin and leave the 4 empty?

you could

what options do you have from tier b+? and at what prices?

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

you could

what options do you have from tier b+? and at what prices?

Only the cooler master 650 mwe gold and the evga gq 1000, the evga is more expensive than the txm and the mwe

37 minutes ago, Jaking said:

Only the cooler master 650 mwe gold and the evga gq 1000, the evga is more expensive than the txm and the mwe

how much is there between the txm and mwe?

Corsair Vengeance 650 Silver, replaced Silverstone Gold.. which i had for 10 years and still works.

I am unsure why Silverstone's Strider Gold series is so low, those things are made like tanks and can take some serious loads without even sweating.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

On 1/3/2020 at 8:35 PM, LienusLateTips said:

They're in Tier A, because they're single rail.

Silverstone's Strider, Silver & Golds are single rail also.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

8 hours ago, Jaking said:

With the B tier ones, you may encounter coil whine in many units. I'd recommend going B+ or higher in your case.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

10 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

With the B tier ones, you may encounter coil whine in many units. I'd recommend going B+ or higher in your case.

you're repeating me ?

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you're repeating me ?

didn't see there was another page LOL

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Hi, 

I've been using an EVGA 1000W G3 80+ Gold in my system (Tier D+) for about 2 years and haven't had any issue but my question is. Should I get better one? I like to do overclocking and was wondering if a better PSU could potentially improve my OC (results/lower voltage on CPU)?

I can get the EVGA 1000W T2 80+ Titanium (Tier A). 

Specs:

- Asus XI Z390 Apex

- 9900K 5.2GHz

- 16GB RAM 4600MHz CL17

- 2080Ti 2070/8200MHz

Thank you

17 minutes ago, SoldierRBT said:

if a better PSU could potentially improve my OC

unlikely to

the g3 is there for highly set protections, as long as your unit is running fine, just continue to use it