[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

Even good 550W PSU will be more than enough.

the stock 3950X under full load wont go above 150W , but when OCed by derbauer and Vcore is set to something like 1.42 it jumps above 300W  , its insane how the its TDP rises very steeply  with OC , so when paired with a 2080ti if you dont want to limit your options with OC its preferable you dont go below 650w

Edit: disregard what i said , i confused the ryzen 9 3950x with the thread ripper 3960X , 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

I'm trying to choose between the AX850 and TX-850 Seasonic, however I found the evga t2 850 for about $100 less, I know the ax/tx are better models but are they $100 better? I'm more concerned with build quality and low EMI than with efficiency. 

3 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

AX850 and TX-850 Seasonic

Wat.

3 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

are they $100 better?

No.

4 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

low EMI

Why ?

What's your build ? Chances are you don't need neither of them, if it's some overage gaming build then 550W PSU will be more than enough.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Wat.

No.

Why ?

What's your build ? Chances are you don't need neither of them, if it's some overage gaming build then 550W PSU will be more than enough.

I'm worried about EMI because i do some pro/am sound mixing on my rig and its fairly sensitive to coil whine/emi interference etc. 

The models I was talking about are the corsair ax850 and the seasonic SSR-850TR its the prime ultra but not really the prime ultra because they changed their lineup name. I'm aware of my wattage and no I don't peak at 850 but from what I've read I'll get solid efficiency at this level and i'm not planning on buying another PSU for 10 years. 

1 minute ago, Meldarion said:

I'm worried about EMI because i do some pro/am sound mixing on my rig and its fairly sensitive to coil whine/emi interference etc

It doesn't depend neither on PSU wattage \ efficiency with your load level. Getting better quality PSU overall might help tho but these PSUs wouldn't be any better than lower wattage say Corsair RMx or Bitfenix Whisper.

2 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

i'm not planning on buying another PSU for 10 years. 

Sure, you still don't need a PSU with power rating triple of what your build needs.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

It doesn't depend neither on PSU wattage \ efficiency with your load level. Getting better quality PSU overall might help tho but these PSUs wouldn't be any better than lower wattage say Corsair RMx or Bitfenix Whisper.

Sure, you still don't need a PSU with power rating triple of what your build needs.

From my understanding the the titanium models generally have the best caps, line filtering and build quality. I run a 9700k with a 3 fan 2070 super with 8 Sata/m.2 devices 2 audio devices/cards, 9 case fans and a litany of attached usb devices. 850 is more than I need but not ridiculously so, there's a reason I'm not getting a 1000w or 1200w. I'm not an idiot. I was just hoping someone had some info/experience with these units, I've read some less than spectacular things about the T2 (for the price) and was wondering if anyone would overwhelming recommend the ax850 over it. 

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

same thing, just to note

Right same base unit, seems like corsair added a few things here and there to squeeze out a bit more efficiency (or it could just be the cable differences). Anyways was just hoping someone could comment on the 850 T2 in what is soon to be 2020, its quite a bit older than the ax/tx wanted to make sure it was still a solid pick for the next 10ish years. 

33 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

850 is more than I need but not ridiculously so

9700k OC'd to the brink will consume about 220W in stress tests, RTX2070 Super about the same number, plus ~100W for all other devices, that makes it about 550W power draw in stress tests, it's way less in gaming and even less in audio-editing software which is mostly single-threaded to my knowledge.

33 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

From my understanding the the titanium models generally have the best caps, line filtering and build quality.

If you compare with Bronze PSUs - sure, with Gold ones - not so much (at least of comparable quality).

But if you're fine spending money on PSU twice more expensive than you need, sure, go for EVGA T2, 100$ more for Corsair AX \ Seasonic Prime doesn't worth it.

27 minutes ago, Juular said:

9700k OC'd to the brink will consume about 220W in stress tests, RTX2070 Super about the same number, plus ~100W for all other devices, that makes it about 550W power draw in stress tests, it's way less in gaming and even less in audio-editing software which is mostly single-threaded to my knowledge.

If you compare with Bronze PSUs - sure, with Gold ones - not so much (at least of comparable quality).

But if you're fine spending money on PSU twice more expensive than you need, sure, go for EVGA T2, 100$ more for Corsair AX \ Seasonic Prime doesn't worth it.

I'm definitely knowling spending a bit more than I need but I have a load tester and was solid around 500w in shipment in modernwarfare with peaks of around 550, to my understanding it would be better and quieter to not max load my psu, 850 should give it plenty of headroom to keep coil whine/fans quiet and keep the psu working for a decade. A 750w would probably be fine I guess but the price difference isn't there and the T2 is on sale at 850 and not 750. 

1 hour ago, Meldarion said:

I'm worried about EMI because i do some pro/am sound mixing on my rig and its fairly sensitive to coil whine/emi interference etc. 

EMC testing is relatively new in psu reviews and requires expertise and expensive equipment the only reviewer who does these measurements as far as i know is Aris since 2018 , you will find his reviews on tomshardware, techpowerup and kitguru either under the name of Aris or Cmaris

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

9 minutes ago, Meldarion said:

I have a load tester and was solid around 500w in shipment in modernwarfare with peaks of around 550

You'll get 15-20% more wattage on the outlet than on internal rails depending on efficiency level, that doesn't affect anything but your power bills.

plenty of headroom to keep coil whine

Again, coil whine, acoustic noise and EMI doesn't depend on your PSU total power capacity. It depends on your current power draw. Cybenetics have a good amount of data on different PSUs and noise on certain load levels if you want actual data.

A 750w would probably be fine I guess but the price difference isn't there and the T2 is on sale at 850 and not 750. 

Any 80+ Gold \ Platinum units there from tier A\A+ ? Don't fixate on Titanium efficiency, it's a gimmick. Corsair RMx, Bitfehix Whisper, be quiet! Straight Power 11 etc.

soo now that the supremo l2 is in tier B,in theory the dq-st is better? I`m confused now lol. Which one should i get, the dq-st, or the supremo l2 at the same price?

29 minutes ago, Erik052000 said:

soo now that the supremo l2 is in tier B,in theory the dq-st is better? I`m confused now lol. Which one should i get, the dq-st, or the supremo l2 at the same price?

Both good with your budget. DQ-ST doesn't have OTP too apparently, it's now on estimated position until Luke will confirm that. You can always go for more expensive Corsair TXm.

28 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

crmaris. :)

god, typos

crmaris

time for another coffee

What about this PSU? Seasonic Focus Plus FX. Cant find what tier it is. 

Which is better? That or Gigabyte G750H? The gigabyte just doesn't have that popularity only having 49 purchased from amazon while the Seasonic has over 3000. 

Gigabyte 750W vs Seasonic 550W

My specs would be Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 2060, 16GB Ram.

Both are at $85

Screenshot_2019-12-28-20-55-40-333_com.shopee.ph.jpg

Just now, Tenma White said:

Tier D+.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Tier D+.

Dahell its D+?? So the Gigabyte G750H is far more superior??   I'm just not so sure about the Gigabyte cause in Amazon it only has 49 Reviews and in newegg its 3/5 stars.

2 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

tier d+, as it's just the usual focus plus 2017, but they started renaming recently

fm is the rename of normal focus 2017

Just now, Tenma White said:

Dahell its D+??

mostly due to this happening at 120% overload

212857i44y1ydysyxc01c1.png

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Both good with your budget. DQ-ST doesn't have OTP too apparently, it's now on estimated position until Luke will confirm that. You can always go for more expensive Corsair TXm.

I'm really starting to consider the txm. It's 15$ more tho. And strangely, it's cheaper then the cx550. 

I just need 1 more push to be fully convinced for the Gigabyte G750H.

The lack of purchases and reviews and 750W Gold PSU for $80 kinda scares me.

15 minutes ago, Erik052000 said:

I'm really starting to consider the txm. It's 15$ more tho. And strangely, it's cheaper then the cx550. 

funny fact: the greatwall cx (it's dualsourced together with cwt) is a similar platform to the txm

so it being cheaper is actually a benefit here