[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

2 hours ago, Krack said:

Why presume when I literally said they both are supposed to have the exact same internals?

Because they're not, it's you presuming things out of thin air. Corsair RMi uses same platform as HXi, the difference is only in the components that make up for efficiency level. And even if RMi did have the same internals as RMx, only to have multi-rail also which is sole requirement for tier A+, then it would therefore qualify for it.

Edit: old 2015 RMx are indeed used simplified HXi platform, without multirail. Can't find the quote but HXi uses custom designed platform and despite simplifications it's still were too expensive to manufacture so Corsair adopted more mass-produced platform for 2018 RMx. Reviews showed that it's still very good unit and Aris actually thinks that it's better than old one, although JG begs to differ (Corsair RnD head strangely enough).

Edit: found it :

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

only to have multi-rail also which is sole requirement for tier A+, then it would therefore qualify for it.

and if the rmx would be a multirail, i would've placed it in tier a+

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a psu gold and then my choice is between super flower leadex III 550w and thermaltake toughpower gf1 650w. I was gonna buy it online and the delivery cost really expensive for super flower but i have discount for thermaltake delivery cost so the total price is same between this product. question is what you guys will choose if you in my condition?

Sorry for bad english

What about Silver Green of Super Flower is it bad? can it run a i7 3rd gen wth rx 580?

1 hour ago, Zankyoshi said:

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a psu gold and then my choice is between super flower leadex III 550w and thermaltake toughpower gf1 650w. I was gonna buy it online and the delivery cost really expensive for super flower but i have discount for thermaltake delivery cost so the total price is same between this product. question is what you guys will choose if you in my condition?

Sorry for bad english

both at the same price point I will prefer the Tt GF1 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

19 hours ago, Juular said:

.Reviews showed that it's still very good unit and Aris actually thinks that it's better than old one, although JG begs to differ (Corsair RnD head strangely enough).

Aris says they both perform about the same in every other aspect except noise and features  , where the v2 has the advantage in noise levels (due to having a a PIC microcontroller that allows for a slower rotational speed for the fans) and the 2 EPS connectors is now available in the v2 750w variant and not just exclusive to 850w variant as it was with the V1

Johnny says the build quality of the first version is better  but also said that it wont make a difference  to the end user , from which i can presume that what he meant is that the older platform had better build quality because it was initially designed to accommodate for more components  for higher tiered PSU's with platinum efficiency and well configured multirail. but not really beneficial to the user because that high build quality is not really needed  for a unit like the RMX

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

Why is the seasonic gold fx focus plus so bad?

17 minutes ago, Owlcat said:

Why is the seasonic gold fx focus plus so bad?

Old revisions (2017-2018) will shut off on some GPUs (970, 1080 ti, vega 64, 2080 ti). it'll will trigger the overpower protection, and will shut down immediately.

New revisions (2018-2019) have a bigger headroom, but aren't built for it and start to ripple at the loads where the PSU would shut down at with the older revision.

it's mostly due to the last revision it came out so low

does the gigabyte P650H exist? or is an error and should say P650B?

2 minutes ago, TMSKG said:

does the gigabyte P650H exist? or is an error and should say P650B?

that's indeed an error on my side... fixing right away

20 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Old revisions (2017-2018) will shut off on some GPUs (970, 1080 ti, vega 64, 2080 ti). it'll will trigger the overpower protection, and will shut down immediately.

Your opinion is based on several negative opinions of early revisions of Focus plus. Several negative opinions out of tens of thousands satisfied with this power supply and hundreds of good reviews doesn't mean it's a bad unit. I myself have this psu connected with 8700K 1080ti both oc and in future with 2080ti or 3080ti and i don't see any problems, also reccomended it to many other people. If you go this way of thinking, you can find negative reviews about each power supply and say that they are dangerous. 

This list is strange, starting with favoritizing multirail and ending with putting very good units in the last tiers. 

32 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

and in future with 2080ti or 3080ti and i don't see any problems

Oh, so you're clairvoyant ?

Several negative opinions out of tens of thousands satisfied with this power supply and hundreds of good reviews doesn't mean it's a bad unit

Neither it means that it's a good unit. Search at least on this forum alone and you'll find several threads with people complaining about GPU instability with Seasonic Focus, even with upgraded shielded cables. Even Seasonic themselves acknowledged the issue.

This list is strange, starting with favoritizing multirail 

Yeah, because it's better to have more protection, right ? Or nah ? Or Seasonic PSUs should be in the top tier regardless of anything just because they're Seasonic ?

and ending with putting very good units in the last tiers.

Everything are tiered according to methodology. Units that have ended up in tier D+ have some flaws, see sources on them for more info. With otherwise plenty of options there are no reason to buy PSUs that may even potentially give you problems, just buy some other PSU besides your precious Seasonic\EVGA (or get Seasonic Prime which is good).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Kaygooo said:

Your opinion is based on several negative opinions of early revisions of Focus plus

Nope.  Wrong.  It's called reviews of the Focus plus not just by avg joe-end-user having issues now, but also pros who reviewed it and found that Seasonic failed to completely fix the inherent design issues with that series of Focus.  Seasonic tried to fix the issues and they just turned "shuts off on high GPU pull" into "ripples out of control" which is not a smart thing to let a PSU do.

There are so many many other fish in the sea that the consumer is not HARMED by avoiding this problem-prone line of PSU.  They are better off getting a Corsair CX or RM or any other number of PSU that don't have faults  ... the end?

Your opinion is based on several negative opinions of early revisions of Focus plus

no, it's based off testing on good tools, not just some system and hwinfo or something

i don't see any problems

how would you, in the short run?

you can find negative reviews about each power supply and say that they are dangerous. 

that's why i only factor in ones from professionals

starting with favoritizing multirail

what's wrong with multirail? it used to even be part of atx specification. prove me that a well implemented multirail has downsides, because no-one, including seasonic themselves have been able to prove me so

ending with putting very good units in the last tiers. 

because i have reasons that have put the g3 and focus in tier d+? because i rate bombs tier e?

2 hours ago, Juular said:

shielded cables

in cable caps, but that aside

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Even Seasonic themselves acknowledged the issue

technically only the first revision, the second hasn't been officially, but they did fix it in the 2019 revisions as far as testing has shown so far

@LukeSavenije

will you buy ?

PC Part Picker

56 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

will you buy ?

interesting, but my wallet says hell no

though for a 600 dollar tester... not bad

58 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

@LukeSavenije

will you buy ?

You could get an oscilloscope and multimeter for that price... That could potentially be easier and more accurate. Just add some cables to the end of the PCIe/EPS connectors for 12V, and you're pretty set. Of course, you won't get the fancy timing stuffs, though. 

:)

32 minutes ago, Skyh3ck said:

Where you can put Corsair TX 750 non modular

which one ? the V1 or the V2 , both are a decade old design 

PC Part Picker

14 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Where do the Prime Ultra Platinum stack up on the list? I don't see them.

Thanks!

They're in Tier A, because they're single rail.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 hours ago, Skyh3ck said:

Where you can put Corsair TX 750 non modular

From what I remember the V1 is a old group reg design: Tier C/D.

V2 is M12II EVO rebrand: ~Tier B.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 minutes ago, grmaster said:

corsair txm doesn't seem to have ocp on 12v

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-tx750m-psu,5062-6.html

so maybe b+? or you mean ocp on the minor rails only?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042-11.html

Over Current Protection (OCP): The single +12V rail PSUs usually don’t have OCP on this rail, but they should have OCP on the minor rails, including 5VSB

the importance of OCP for 12V  in single rail PSU is diminished by other protections (OPP and UVP), but when we are talking about multirail its a different story as they protect against other scenarios that won't trigger other protections 

PC Part Picker

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Tier B

Enermax 
Revolution X't II Revolution X't

Just to let you know these don't link to the Revolution X't series.  

I have this for the X't II it would seem (not sure how to spot the original X't)  - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/t2mxFT/enermax-revolution-xt-650-w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-erx650awt