[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

30 minutes ago, Juular said:

HX Platinum ? Not really, it was released in 2018. Other models are (Gold, Bronze, 80+, non-certified).

Wasn't the release date beginning 2017 (atleast in europe it is available since 2017).

19 minutes ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

Wasn't the release date beginning 2017 (atleast in europe it is available since 2017).

Maybe, not the point, that's not old.

25 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

Hx is basically the same as HXi, no?  Other than the iCue integration.

Sort of.

25 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

HXi Platinum is from 2014 on.  What was the 2018 update for HX, and has an update happened for HXi since 2014?

Oh, i see your point, the platform is from 2013 so it's old. No, it's still very much modern PSU by today standards.

But if you've asked if HX-i is old, i'd think about it. It may have been manufactured like 8 years ago so it may be. I mean, a good PSU even if it's 5-7 years old is still a good PSU but will it be still good for another 10 years to go ? Can you enlighten us @jonnyGURU, is PSU warranty factored really as 17 years (and on) not 10 years (i.e potentially higher losses on warranty claims are factored in for when the PSU is already somewhat old but sold as new) or Corsair somehow keeps track of PSUs that were manufactured too long time ago and pulls them from the shelves (ridiculous idea but i have to ask).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Oh no sorry, I was just commenting on the release date, since  RAZ0RLIGHT wrote that it's an old [platform], and you mentioned that it's from 2018, so I wanted to double-check if I wasn't missing some update information.  I do not own an HXi (I do own an oldie AX750 Gold).  HXi was on my short list of PSUs to get for my recent build, I know it's an all-around excellent PSU.

FYI, my tier A be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 died after 24 hours. Probably faulty one, but just wanted to let you guys know. Got it new from Amazon.

3 minutes ago, fizzyElf said:

FYI, my tier A be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 died after 24 hours. Probably faulty one, but just wanted to let you guys know. Got it new from Amazon.

Well, that can happen with any PSU. Good PSUs are going through lengthy burn-in at the factory to filter those that potentially may not survive but there's still a slim chance that they'll get past that. There's also a factor of how they were stored, high humidity during storage may affect the PSU negatively. And well, if you live in cold climate it's better to keep the PSU (or any electronics really) some time unpowered at room temperature to get rid of any condensation after it was transported through cold outside environment.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Can you enlighten us @jonnyGURU, is PSU warranty factored really as 17 years (and on) not 10 years 

I'm not sure what you're asking. 

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. 

See, say we're talking about HX-i which has 10 years warranty. I buy a unit right now that was manufactured 8 years ago at the very release of the series and was lying on the shelves somewhere somehow, retailer still sells it as new because it's still the same series as 7 years ago. Are there some safeguards from the logistics side of things or Corsair will simply absorb any potentially higher losses on warranty of PSUs down the road that were lying on the shelves that long but still sold as new and are under warranty ?

Cant seem To Find any psus of the HEC Company

https://www.hec-group.com.tw/power_supply/ 

Would love to see if i could use the HEC-350TC-4WEM for a very low power igpu system cause i wouldnt like to blow my house up XDDD

1 hour ago, SamsungHandy said:

Cant seem To Find any psus of the HEC Company

https://www.hec-group.com.tw/power_supply/

Would love to see if i could use the HEC-350TC-4WEM for a very low power igpu system cause i wouldnt like to blow my house up XDDD

HEC is a parent company of Cougar and OEM themselves who manufacture a good amount of PSUs of other brands such as EVGA and Corsair.

Now of what i see listed there, TG is most likely relatively modern, LLC resonant platform and although there are zero reviews on it and i haven't seen it actually used in non-OEM PSUs it should be okay if it's cheap enough. Don't know anything else about other models tho, there are zero pictures or reviews and their site isn't particularly descriptive either. If i had to guess i'd say that TC is probably a platform behind bqt SP9, EVGA BQ or BR but i have nothing to support that with. Maybe @OrionFOTLcan help (what's up with the site btw ?).

What about corsair rm750x 80+ gold power supply? In tier A there is only mentioned 'rmx(white)'. Is there anything wrong with black? And one more thing why there mentioned 2015, 2018? Is there any problem with another year?

What about corsair rm750x 80+ gold power supply? In tier A there is only mentioned 'rmx(white)'. Is there anything wrong with black? And one more thing why there mentioned 2015, 2018? Is there any problem with another year?

34 minutes ago, Arya0606 said:

Nothing wrong with the black version, the parentheses are there to say that the white version is included.

As for the year, both versions (2015 and 2018) are good. The 2015 version is bulkier, but sturdier.

The 2021 version is very similar to the 2018 version in all significant aspects but quietness (shouldn't be as quiet as the previous versions), we are still waiting for @crmaris to update his reviews with the new fan profile to know for sure.

I will never understand why the fan curve (even the improved one) is worse than the previous revision even though they use a better fan.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

HEC is a parent company of Cougar and OEM themselves who manufacture a good amount of PSUs of other brands such as EVGA and Corsair.

Now of what i see listed there, TG is most likely relatively modern, LLC resonant platform and although there are zero reviews on it and i haven't seen it actually used in non-OEM PSUs it should be okay if it's cheap enough. Don't know anything else about other models tho, there are zero pictures or reviews and their site isn't particularly descriptive either. If i had to guess i'd say that TC is probably a platform behind bqt SP9, EVGA BQ or BR but i have nothing to support that with. Maybe @OrionFOTLcan help (what's up with the site btw ?).

Thanks,yeah it was a Hyrican OEM PC just thought about the psu bc i wanted to use it in a low power mc server

I just listed the webseite for clarification that ppl can visit their website and maybe find the model or stuff lol(searched 20min for this site idk why but with google from germany i couldnt really find it)

19 hours ago, Juular said:

Well, that can happen with any PSU. Good PSUs are going through lengthy burn-in at the factory to filter those that potentially may not survive but there's still a slim chance that they'll get past that. There's also a factor of how they were stored, high humidity during storage may affect the PSU negatively. And well, if you live in cold climate it's better to keep the PSU (or any electronics really) some time unpowered at room temperature to get rid of any condensation after it was transported through cold outside environment.

I read multiple reviews about faulty ones. Examples here:

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-12-1200w/p/1HU-004H-000G9

I really liked the PSU for that one day, but it is kinda strange that multiple people get faulty units. Not sure what is happening there. I live in California and had the PSU sit for about a month or so waiting for my other parts. Sending it back today, will find out in a week or so what the issue was.

1 minute ago, fizzyElf said:

I read multiple reviews about faulty ones. Examples here:

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-12-1200w/p/1HU-004H-000G9

I really liked the PSU for that one day, but it is kinda strange that multiple people get faulty units. Not sure what is happening there. I live in California and had the PSU sit for about a month or so waiting for my other parts. Sending it back today, will find out in a week or so what the issue was.

I wouldn't put any weight on 5 reviews worth of data, only 2 of which bothered to write anything. Plus, someone with a DOA is probably more likely to leave a review in the first place vs someone who get's a working unit.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

10 hours ago, Juular said:

See, say we're talking about HX-i which has 10 years warranty. I buy a unit right now that was manufactured 8 years ago at the very release of the series and was lying on the shelves somewhere somehow, retailer still sells it as new because it's still the same series as 7 years ago. Are there some safeguards from the logistics side of things or Corsair will simply absorb any potentially higher losses on warranty of PSUs down the road that were lying on the shelves that long but still sold as new and are under warranty ?

The stock should rotate, but that's not going to stop one seller in Northern Iceland from selling something that's been sitting on the shelf for 10 years.  If the receipt says you bought your 10 year old PSU two days ago, then your warranty started two days ago. 

Seasonic Focus and Prime series still having issues with Nvidia 3080/3090 and AMD 6800/6900XTs?
Or has this been resolved with a new revision or driver updates?

Are there any good tests for the Seasonic Focus GX/PX or Prime GX PX in english out there, i can't find any.

Also how loud are they from 0-100% load?

17 minutes ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

Seasonic Focus and Prime series still having issues with Nvidia 3080/3090 and AMD 6800/6900XTs?
Or has this been resolved with a new revision or driver updates?

Yes, old revision Focus (Gold, Gold Plus and Platinum Plus, not the new GM/GX/PX) and potentially all Primes with RTX3080/3090 (didn't see any cases with RX6800/6900XT). nVidia made some driver changes months ago but it's unclear if that helped to address the issue for 100%. Neither Seasonic said anything about it, so meanwhile it's better to avoid Prime entirely (sub 1kW units at least) and make sure that you buy a new Focus revision if you plan to use RTX3080/3090.

27 minutes ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

Are there any good tests for the Seasonic Focus GX/PX or Prime GX PX in english out there, i can't find any.

Also how loud are they from 0-100% load?

You can find the best PSU reviews out there at techpowerup.com and tomshardware.com, made by Aris Mpizopolous aka crmaris, strange that you didn't find them, they usually are the first in the Google query. He also has an YT channel, 'Hardware Busters'. New Seasonic revisions weren't reviewed by him tho, but i imagine they should perform comparably to previous revisions which there are a good amount of reviews for. There are also a few other reviewers with similar level of detail however, links for pretty much all of them can be found at the PSU tier list spreadsheet, link is in the OP.

All primes, even the "new" ones, GX PX etc.? Well, that sucks, especially since Seasonic hasn't put out any statement yet.

12 minutes ago, Juular said:

You can find the best PSU reviews out there at techpowerup.com and tomshardware.com, made by Aris Mpizopolous aka crmaris, strange that you didn't find them, they usually are the first in the Google query. He also has an YT channel, 'Hardware Busters'. New Seasonic revisions weren't reviewed by him tho, but i imagine they should perform comparably to previous revisions which there are a good amount of reviews for. There are also a few other reviewers with similar level of detail however, links for pretty much all of them can be found at the PSU tier list spreadsheet, link is in the OP.

I found reviews, but from the old platform, dunno what they changed beside the naming scheme, maybe the fan curve?

Anyway, got another question:
Difference between the Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 and GF2, aren't there enough information about the latter to put it to the tier list?

Found one from Eteknix, but it isn't such an indepth review.

1 hour ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

All primes, even the "new" ones, GX PX etc.? Well, that sucks, especially since Seasonic hasn't put out any statement yet.

Yeah, thing is we don't know for sure and Seasonic is completely silent which doesn't help a thing. But since Corsair AX apparently is affected and it's based off Seasonic Prime, it's assumed that the new revision of Prime itself is affected too.

1 hour ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

Difference between the Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 and GF2, aren't there enough information about the latter to put it to the tier list?

Completely different, different OEM even. It's already in the list, tier C LP because they don't claim OTP and we don't have any detailed reviews on it yet.

I use a Corsair AX1000 (Prime Titanium) in my Powenetics system, where I evaluated every high-end GPU so far (3080, 3090, 6900XT etc) at max power limit with zero problems. Tried it with the following CPUs so far, 10700k, 11700k, 5800X, all overclocked and with high power consumption, because the CPU ALSO matters. 

17 minutes ago, crmaris said:

I use a Corsair AX1000 (Prime Titanium)

How about 850W AX / Prime ?

24 minutes ago, crmaris said:

I use a Corsair AX1000 (Prime Titanium) in my Powenetics system, where I evaluated every high-end GPU so far (3080, 3090, 6900XT etc) at max power limit with zero problems. Tried it with the following CPUs so far, 10700k, 11700k, 5800X, all overclocked and with high power consumption, because the CPU ALSO matters. 

I believe the 1000W is not having such issues, as indicated by @jonnyGURU here. It's the lower wattages that has.

Also, welcome to LTT, Aris!

EDIT: Wow, we have telepathic synchronization @Juular...