NVIDIA has created a gaming studio to remaster classic PC games with Ray Tracing effects

Make a remaster of Dune 2000 + Richard Burn Rally and i'll buy 2070s instead of 5700 XT which cost almost $150 extra. 

Finding owner of these 2 games gonna be a bitch though.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 10/13/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Tbh I'd play the original with no functional changes if they just stripped out all the account and DRM crap which they mas as well do at this point given the age.  For that matter I'd love a redo of BFBC2, and by redo, I mean just take the existing game and add an FOV slider so it's playable on a modern 16:9 panel.

There was the fan thing, in which they were hosting everything and giving it out for free since EA had no interest in it. Until they did, and then they shut it down and didn't even bother to bring the game back, they legit just killed it so no one can play it.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 10/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, Valentyn said:

It's a damn shame, as Ray Tracing, even just limited amounts like in Control, and others can really bring a game world to life. I'm a fan of stuff like Hairworks/TressFX/PureHair, PhysX ( I still have an OG Ageia PhysX card ), and more.

Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing is likely going to look absolutely fantastic. It's just a shame, just like with PhysX, NV are going to only optimise for their specific hardware, despite other version/compute options being available.

Oh, yeah. The cool thing is AMD has alternatives to everything that work pretty much identical, but run way better on both systems.

Incidentally, I still think the Witcher 2 hair is better than Geralt's Witcher 3 Hairworks.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Finding owner of these 2 games gonna be a bitch though.

I can put my hand up for Dune 2000.

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Incidentally, I still think the Witcher 2 hair is better than Geralt's Witcher 3 Hairworks.

I can't agree with that, but it's just my opinion. :) 
I really like Hairworks; although PureHair in Tomb Raider is superior ( using TressFX ), and I only had a 4fps drop using it.

(God that game still holds up, and I still have another two playthroughs to go thanks to the expansions)
wNyaHMR.jpg
10z5gXa.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I can put my hand up for Dune 2000.

If any game deserves ray tracing first, it's Dwarf Fortress!

E6hdX4F.jpg

On 10/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, Jito463 said:

I had the same thought.  If you can get modern game devs on board, there'd be no reason to go to this extent in order to sell your new tech.

Not saying the concept isn't a cool idea, but it makes one wonder about the reasons behind it.

easy explanation.  Current AAA games just don't run that well with everything turned up to max + RTX. Demoing the technology in older games can spark interest and thus making it feasible to keep investing in the development.

Give it a reasonable amount of time and maybe we can run rtx in a couple of generations in tripple A games without losing to much performance.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:19 AM, Drak3 said:

Raytraced FMV games when?

We need "Return of the Obra Dinn" with raytracing.

Ship-01.png

Think a game where you have some text/RPG element, and in the background it spends 10 or so seconds raytracing the next scene. You get semi animtation/freeform movement (which a true FMV/stills game cannot give) yet raytracing quality. It also allows the current tech, which struggles at 30-60fps renders, 100s or more time to render a frame. :)

While I understand why nVidia wanted to put the hardware on their GPU (they just wanted to be that "FIRST" guy in the comments of every video and article on the internet), I wonder if there is any practical limitations to having it be a separate card. I think having the 2 new technologies, on top of traditional graphics processing, on the same sized plot of land just makes for all 3 to not see that big of a jump in performance, if any. Instead of throwing away that SLI or Crossfire link, why not put it to use with a drop in ray tracing card. Can even charge something like 400 for the "entry" package, up to, like, 800+ for the "beefcake" package with 8-10 times the ray tracing cores as what is on the RTX. You'd still need to match to your GPU, obviously.

I'd be more inclined to add a new card, especially for an older system, than to upgrade entirely. Especially considering the performance hit you take when turning it on. First Adopter's tax is really heavy on this one.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

2 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

While I understand why nVidia wanted to put the hardware on their GPU (they just wanted to be that "FIRST" guy in the comments of every video and article on the internet), I wonder if there is any practical limitations to having it be a separate card. I think having the 2 new technologies, on top of traditional graphics processing, on the same sized plot of land just makes for all 3 to not see that big of a jump in performance, if any. Instead of throwing away that SLI or Crossfire link, why not put it to use with a drop in ray tracing card. Can even charge something like 400 for the "entry" package, up to, like, 800+ for the "beefcake" package with 8-10 times the ray tracing cores as what is on the RTX. You'd still need to match to your GPU, obviously.

I'd be more inclined to add a new card, especially for an older system, than to upgrade entirely. Especially considering the performance hit you take when turning it on. First Adopter's tax is really heavy on this one.

It's the silicon though. A second card would need it's own fab. At which point you lose economically, to failed wafers. Keeping it all on "one chip" means you can cut it up and sell the bits that work, and keep the bits that don't on the cheap cards.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:45 AM, Gegger said:

i'm waiting for tetris rtx now

yes i'm a tetris fan

there you go

2 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Instead of throwing away that SLI or Crossfire link, why not put it to use with a drop in ray tracing card.

We had that with the PhysX cards back before Nvidia bought them out.  As much as I think it would be a better option, I doubt it would be any more commercially viable than the PhysX cards were.

2 hours ago, TechyBen said:

It's the silicon though. A second card would need it's own fab. At which point you lose economically, to failed wafers. Keeping it all on "one chip" means you can cut it up and sell the bits that work, and keep the bits that don't on the cheap cards.

Adoption rates would be much worse too, PhysX made that mistake.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Adoption rates would be much worse too, PhysX made that mistake.

If you put it on every card, adoption rates are 100%. ;)

25 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

If you put it on every card, adoption rates are 100%. ;)

Yea, that's what I mean, separate card is just a bad idea if you want people to actually use it.

11 hours ago, Valentyn said:

I can't agree with that, but it's just my opinion. :) 
I really like Hairworks; although PureHair in Tomb Raider is superior ( using TressFX ), and I only had a 4fps drop using it.
(God that game still holds up, and I still have another two playthroughs to go thanks to the expansions)

Image result for the witcher 2

The hair in the Witcher 2 doesn't look as out of place, and I think it actually "flowed" better. this applies to the monsters too, the non-hairworks implementation is far inferior to the previous iteration. I'm more specifically talking about in motion. Especially Roach's tail, which does not look good.

Also, Halk Hogan recently released a HUGE update to his rework project, and basically everything is redone now. It's really good.

#Muricaparrotgang

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea, that's what I mean, separate card is just a bad idea if you want people to actually use it.

Nah. It's fine for people who want to use it, but not for the bottom line.

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Also, Halk Hogan recently released a HUGE update to his rework project, and basically everything is redone now. It's really good.

Might have to give it another playthrough again so!

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Nah. It's fine for people who want to use it, but not for the bottom line.

There would be many people that just wouldn't bother just because it's another card, just like PhysX. Plus small cases are way more popular now so you might not even be able to fit it in. Second die/chiplet on the same GPU package or graphics card would still get the uptake high.

What hurts the bottom line is fabing thousands of dies for a product nobody is really buying, if you are selling heaps of them then not an issue at all.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:56 AM, Beskamir said:

I wonder how old a game has to be to be considered in need of a remaster. I'd love it if the best star wars games ever made (jedi knight, kotor, tsl, etc) got remasters!

X-Wing alliance has been getting updates for many, many years. There's the xwaupgradeproject that's been replacing all of the models and textures for the last 17yrs or so. You can even get it running at much higher res now. It's still the same game engine but looks amazing these days.

I'd love to see a new game like that released... but EA control the license for games and they're utter garbage so all you will get from them is lame FPS or TPS shooter clones with everything locked behind a paywall.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

7 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

X-Wing alliance has been getting updates for many, many years. There's the xwaupgradeproject that's been replacing all of the models and textures for the last 17yrs or so. You can even get it running at much higher res now. It's still the same game engine but looks amazing these days.

I'd love to see a new game like that released... but EA control the license for games and they're utter garbage so all you will get from them is lame FPS or TPS shooter clones with everything locked behind a paywall.

Yep, mods are often awesome enough that they need to be sent c&d letters to keep AAA versions looking like "good" games :D

On 10/16/2019 at 12:25 AM, leadeater said:

There would be many people that just wouldn't bother just because it's another card, just like PhysX. Plus small cases are way more popular now so you might not even be able to fit it in. Second die/chiplet on the same GPU package or graphics card would still get the uptake high.

What hurts the bottom line is fabing thousands of dies for a product nobody is really buying, if you are selling heaps of them then not an issue at all.

Ah, I misread that as "people who want to use it". As suppose to "you want [other] people to use it".

As said. If you force adoption, you force adoption. :P

It "wins" the same way only allow 1 football team to enter wins the league. It's an empty win.

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

It "wins" the same way only allow 1 football team to enter wins the league. It's an empty win.

Hey man, what ever it takes to win ?