Let's settle this once and for all! Is a hot dog a sandwich?

orbitalbuzzsaw

Is a hot dog a sandwich?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is a hot dog a sandwich?

• Yes
    • No

Is a hot dog a sandwich? What about a burger? Is a ice cream sandwich technically a sandwich as it doesn't have bread in it? What even is "bread" - does brioche count?

All this and more in this thread, maybe

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition: frankfurter; especially : a frankfurter heated and served in a long split roll

The word hot dog refers either to the sausage that you buy squeezed in a plastic package with 7 or so of its kind, or to the same sausage heated and served in a long split roll.

When it's served in the roll, it's also a sandwich.

We know: the idea that a hot dog is a sandwich is heresy to some of you. But given that the definition of sandwich is "two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between," there is no sensible way around it. If you want a meatball sandwich on a split roll to be a kind of sandwich, then you have to accept that a hot dog is also a kind of sandwich.

You could hinge your anti-hot-dog-as-sandwich argument on whether the hot dog sausage qualifies as a "filling," but if you choose to interpret filling narrowly as only "a food mixtureused to fill pastry or sandwiches," rather than broadly as "something used to fill a cavity, container, or depression," then you're not going to allow any single-item filling to qualify a food item as a sandwich—which means there can be no thing as a peanut butter sandwich or a bologna (or even baloney) sandwich.

Hence, a hot dog is a sandwich.

If we use the definition that I bolded, then would that mean that a taco is also a sandwich?

26 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

From Merriam-Webster:

If we use the definition that I bolded, then would that mean that a taco is also a sandwich?

But see, the definition is "two or more pieces of bread" but a hot dog bun is a continuous bread thing. The same goes for tacos I think

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

But see, the definition is "two or more pieces of bread" but a hot dog bun is a continuous bread thing. The same goes for tacos I think

Here in the UK (Scotland for sure) we have a bacon butty which is basically a burger bun cut in half with filling in the middle. I would say it's still a sandwich despite the bread being continuous.

image.jpeg.dde8c38f23f1b2601b8df84dec9089c5.jpeg

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

They also consider a split-roll as a qualifying option, so po' boys and subs are still considered sandwiches.

8 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

So if you cut the bun a little further, it's two pieces.. So at that point it is a sandwich?

Anyways, I think it's a sandwich by definition, but you wouldn't refer to it like so in practice. Just like a hamburger isn't a sandwich either; even if it has the properties of one.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit,

Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Should a sandwich need to be square- or round-ish? Because that would eliminate hot dogs but also some subs

She/they 

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

No, a hot dog is a hot dog.

But is pizza an open faced sandwich?

No, obviously not, it's pizza. An "open face sandwich" is a contradiction in terms anyway

She/they 

Why the heck does anyone even care? It's like the old question, "Which came first: the chicken or the egg?" There is no one answer. Not to mention that languages, especially a bastard language language like English, which devolved from several other languages, tend to lose the original definitions of many words over time for various reasons, usually due to ignorance.

Look at awful. It originally meant someone or something who was viewed as being awed by people and was a term of respect and wonderment. Now it means something that is terrible.

Factoid has changed in recent times. It originally meant a false statement or small piece of misinformation presented as being a true fact. In roughly forty years or so of time, it's definition has completely reversed from the meaning intended by the person who first coined it.

Enervate is another one. It means to deplete someone of physical or mental energy. Now people use it as giving energy.

One the computer industry has abused is the initialism RMA. It stands for Material Return Authorization and originally was used as a noun, not a verb. It was a document and/or reference number that was used with a product that was being returned to the vendor or manufacturer to enable the recipient to know why the product was being returned and that the return had been authorized by the recipient. The act of returning the product was called a return. Before retiring the first time, I worked 30 years in warehousing, which included frequent, extended stints in shipping and receiving, and at no time was RMA was used as a verb like it is now. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

No, a pizza is a vegetable. Just ask the US Congress.

Are you kidding me? The U.S. Congress doesn't know its collective backsides from holes in the ground and can't agree on anything.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Should a sandwich need to be square- or round-ish? Because that would eliminate hot dogs but also some subs

That's just introducing arbitrary rules into the mix. Bread can be made in whatever way, including a rounded, square, or even a mix of both (cylinder) way.

No, obviously not, it's pizza. An "open face sandwich" is a contradiction in terms anyway

Are Calzones a sandwhich? Piece of dough (that's basically bread) with stuff inside (including stuff you could put on a sandwhich like cheese, tomato and peppers).

It's also actually 'closed'. If that doesn't count, you could only count sliced bread pieces. That however would be another arbitrary rule..

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, minibois said:

That's just introducing arbitrary rules into the mix. Bread can be made in whatever way, including a rounded, square, or even a mix of both (cylinder) way.

Are Calzones a sandwhich? Piece of dough (that's basically bread) with stuff inside (including stuff you could put on a sandwhich like cheese, tomato and peppers).

It's also actually 'closed'. If that doesn't count, you could only count sliced bread pieces. That however would be another arbitrary rule..

I'd argue that a calzone isn't a sandwich because the bread wraps all the way around, making it more akin to a burrito

She/they 

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I'd argue that a calzone isn't a sandwich because the bread wraps all the way around, making it more akin to a burrito

So if I get a bun and do not cut it all the way around, but only say.. 75% around.. Can I not consider that a sandwich anymore? What is the cutoff-point?

Also, burritos are more akin to pancakes (Dutch pancakes/crepes) than calzones, since they do not actually close up

42 minutes ago, minibois said:

So if I get a bun and do not cut it all the way around, but only say.. 75% around.. Can I not consider that a sandwich anymore? What is the cutoff-point?

Also, burritos are more akin to pancakes (Dutch pancakes/crepes) than calzones, since they do not actually close up

Whatever the case may be with burritoes, your point about the 75% around bun is worth addressing; If you consider a hot dog a sandwich, then it is, but i'd argue that it isn't personally

She/they 

No, Since its served in a bun if it happens to break it still doesnt make it a sandwich. It originally was a single piece of bread and thus not a sandwich 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

2 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

From Merriam-Webster:

A taco doesn’t use bread or a roll, ergo no, it isn’t a sandwich. 

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

You’re ignoring part of the definition which includes a split roll (of which a hot dog bun is). 

The simple fact is yes, technically a hot dog is a sandwich. So is a hamburger. 

In daily practice, few people refer to them as such though. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

idk, we don't have hot dogs here 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

This really should have a Poll....

I'm in camp Not a Sandwich

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

55 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

A taco doesn’t use bread or a roll, ergo no, it isn’t a sandwich.

I was just being a bit facetious but I agree.

It can be.  Its a hotdog, until you cut two down the middle of the length and create 4 half moon hot dogs on 2 pieces of bread.

Hotdog buns are not Sandwich bread /s

Time to take a stand.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case