Folding Month 2019 - Help Medical Research with your PC!

jakkuh_t

Hey everyone! ?

For the second year in a row, I'm here to talk to y'all about Cancer, Alzheimer's, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's. They are terrible diseases that have had an effect on nearly everyone in one way or another, and we want to help. Researching these conditions is an incredibly expensive endeavor, but for many people, donating to fund these causes isn't an option. Thankfully, there is still something we all can do: Folding @ Home

With your gaming PC, laptop, server, or really any computer, you can donate processing power from your CPU or GPU when you're not using them to help run calculations on a vast number of medical distributed computation projects. This massive shared computational power can help researchers learn more about these diseases in an effort to better treat them, and it can make a HUGE difference in the fight to conquer them. To achieve this huge collaborative effort, Stanford University started developing the Folding @ Home project, all the way back in the year 2000. It's a simple software you can run on your PC that automagically uses your processing power when idling (or full time if you desire) for the previously mentioned calculations. 

You can fold with pretty much anything, your dad's old dell prebuilt, a top tier RTX rig, or presumably even a RasPi. Every little bit helps.

In exchange for your valiant processing effort, you can earn points that show off your contribution to find the cures all year round, but for a month out of every year, the Forum community runs a friendly Folding competition. Members of the community have donated a bunch of prizes, and you can read about the official forum competition here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1091921-ltt-official-folding-month-2019/

Note: Signups for the forum competition where you can win the community donated prizes, and a forum badge are open until September 30th at 23:30 BST.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to the community donated prizes, we've partnered with several vendors to give out even more prizes to participants! Be sure to give each of them a follow as a thank you for their contributions!

Corsair (International):

5 x Cosair prize packs including: a K70 RGB MK.2, a Nightsword RGB, and a HS70 Wireless

Fractal Design (US & Canada only):

2 x Define R6 Tempered Glass Cases

EVGA (International):

4 x 650 G5 Power Supplies

4 x 240mm or 280mm EVGA AIO Liquid Coolers

Cablemod (International):

5 x Cablemod Pro Cable Kits (any model)

Floatplane (International):

10 x 3 Month LMG Floatplane subscriptions

------

We will be randomly drawing 3 winners from the top 100 folders on the LTT team, and then the rest from the entrants on the form below.

To enter the contest, setup the folding client to run on your PC as listed below, then click on the entry below where you will be able to submit a link to your folding profile as well as a photo of your folding rig and we will select the winners according to the above definition. Entries will close on November 4th, 2019s at 5:00 PM PST.

• Entries are now closed.

Contest Info:

Spoiler

- Winners will be chosen on November 3rd, and will have 72 hours to reply, otherwise the prizes will be redrawn.

- Winners will be notified via forum private message.

- Participants must be actively folding for at least 24 hours to be eligible for the prize draw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to sign up for the forum competition, entries close on September 30th at 23:30 BST (this is separate from the hardware giveaway/contest).

Folding Instructions:

Downloading the Folding@Home Client: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/ 

More Information: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips_team-223518/

Monthly Leaderboard: https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams-monthly

LinusTechTips Folding Team: https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/223518

Be sure to post photos of your folding rigs, your progress, and any questions below! :D

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

@jakkuh_t you beautiful man!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
      Ryzen 9 5950X
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
    • RAM
      32GB DDR4 3200
    • GPU
      Inno3D 4070 Ti
    • Case
      Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
    • Storage
      Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
    • PSU
      EVGA Supernova 1000w 
    • Display(s)
      Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
    • Cooling
      MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm glad to be able to help out!

My Folding Stats | Folding for COVID-19 research

System Specs

CPU • Intel Core i7 8700k @5GHz

GPU • GTX 1060 6GB             

Motherboard • Asus Strix Z270-i                

Memory • 16GB HyperX Fury Black      

Cooler • NZXT Kraken X52 AIO         

Case • NZXT H210i                

Monitors • 2 Alienware AW2518H's         

@jakkuh_t ❤️? 

wish everyone happy F@lding !

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I'll start up my rigs again just like last year :)

i7 9700k @ 4.9GHz | GTX 1070 8G | 16gb ddr4 | Intel 660p 1tb m.2 | BenQ EX3200R

Corsair K68 | Logitech MX master 2s | Logitech G430 Røde NTG-1

I'll attach a pic when I get all my photography stuff sorted out. For now, though, I'm having GPU trouble, so I gotta sort that quick.

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

GPU problem solved, one of the voltage settings had been moved...probably by me hitting a key I shouldn't have, derp! All systems go!

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

Also just joined to help out and would appreciate some tips. Also is a picture of my rig required for the signups or is it just a nice thing to do because mine isn't all that great to look at crammed in a corner XD

20 minutes ago, Linkas said:

I'm doing this first time, any pro tips?

You're better off asking in the event thread

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
      Ryzen 9 5950X
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
    • RAM
      32GB DDR4 3200
    • GPU
      Inno3D 4070 Ti
    • Case
      Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
    • Storage
      Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
    • PSU
      EVGA Supernova 1000w 
    • Display(s)
      Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
    • Cooling
      MasterLiquid Lite 240

19 minutes ago, Linkas said:

I'm doing this first time, any pro tips?

16 minutes ago, Shock_Wave1 said:

Also just joined to help out and would appreciate some tips.

Check out the links at the bottom of the first post here: 

Also, defer question to the linked thread so that they can help you.

17 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

Hey everyone! ?

-snip-

getting started right now!

Edited by TVwazhere
    Sniping OP

Here's the PC I'm using for folding... not the best pic but oh well. 1060 6gb+8700k@5ghz

also yes, it needs cleaning. badly.
    pYI22hU.jpg

System Specs

GPU • GTX 1060 6GB             

Case • NZXT H210i                

image.thumb.png.e9a6825383f6ea2f1b84762aa7dda911.pngGot both my rigs going now, Unfortunately the performance on my Ryzen 3600 is terrible compared to my 8700k (Not sure why, I've seen alot of rave about AMD on F@H)

Might chuck my third and fourth on later if I can be bothered.

--- Purple Prime ---
    i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
    Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
    Zoom H5 + XY-5
    Phone - Oneplus 6T

3 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

Got both my rigs going now

Wish I had a second computer to fold with... my media pc is still packed up though, moving sucks :/

System Specs

GPU • GTX 1060 6GB             

Case • NZXT H210i                

17 minutes ago, kiosion said:

Here's the PC I'm using for folding... not the best pic but oh well. 1060 6gb+8700k@5ghz

also yes, it needs cleaning. badly.
    pYI22hU.jpg

Nice! That's a really clean look.

7 minutes ago, kiosion said:

Wish I had a second computer to fold with... my media pc is still packed up though, moving sucks :/

I wish it was a privilege but it's more of an artefact of living between two houses.

--- Purple Prime ---
    i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
    Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
    Zoom H5 + XY-5
    Phone - Oneplus 6T

16 minutes ago, Linkas said:

What todo if this page keeps refreshing? 

9d5b625af198e13e742521058c4fe75b.png

Use the advanced control by right clicking the folding icon in bottom right of your taskbar. Web control can be buggy. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Use the advanced control by right clicking the folding icon in bottom right of your taskbar. Web control can be buggy. 

I can't see myself in folding user search, that will update later I guess?