Android cutting back on the calories - Android 10 announced

yolosnail
1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I like this change. Personally I could not tell you if oreo came before lollipop, or if lollipop came before marshmellow

FYI its in alphabetical order

5 minutes ago, harryk said:

FYI its in alphabetical order

Well son of a bitch, would you look at that....

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

so basically not even google marketing could find a nice succinct single word sweet/dessert that starts with Q and just gave up?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Oh please Samsung overlords, release this for the Galaxy S9 in a reasonable time frame.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Oh please Samsung overlords, release this for the Galaxy S9 in a reasonable time frame.

Request Denied!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Request Denied!

Dammit!

7 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Android Quavers

Android Queijadinha

Android Qurabiya

Android Queen of Puddings

Android Quindim

Android Qottab

Android Quesito

Android Quetschentaart

✨FNIGE✨

3 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

so basically not even google marketing could find a nice succinct single word sweet/dessert that starts with Q and just gave up?

They're probably too proud to admit this is what really happened and it's just under the guise of a new marketing 'rebrand'.

Honestly it is easier to understand going forward, especially for someone like me who isn't following Android updates intensely.

A reasonable move. Those desserts they've been using, are not really popular or even common outside western culture.

Better to use them as codename/nickname rather than the official name.

And numerical order is way more intuitive than alphabetical imo. 

7 minutes ago, mach said:

And numerical order is way more intuitive than alphabetical imo. 

Not really. Same basic method and logic.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Android Quakersoatswithtonsofbrownsugar

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not really. Same basic method and logic.

Well, I believe most people around the globe understand and use arabic numerals in daily basis.

While English alphabets are very common, many languages don't have those and people don't usually use a base-26 system for counting and calculations.

8 hours ago, Nowak said:

My Nexus 3 will probably be running the next beta before most flagships get 10, that's how it was this time around. My mum has an S9 and I was running Q beta before she got Pie.

Honestly it's silly how long it takes for new versions of Android to hit devices.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

50 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

My Nexus 3 will probably be running the next beta before most flagships get 10, that's how it was this time around. My mum has an S9 and I was running Q beta before she got Pie.

Honestly it's silly how long it takes for new versions of Android to hit devices.

problem is venders have to first check all their bloat apps work correctly in the new version and that takes time.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Well ok makes it easier in general now for everyone though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Google said, "we’ve heard feedback over the years that the names weren’t always understood by everyone in the global community"

Wait, you mean it wasn't instantly obviously to the average person that the "Oreo" tablet is newer than the "Nougat" one?  I'm shocked! /s

Frankly, it's about time.  That naming was cute and all but totally impractical and unnecessary and just lead to confusion, I'm sure.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So I guess all android 7 users are going to be screwed then?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

While I definitely prefer numbers to cutsey nicknames, I wish it was less arbitrary especially since I'm pretty sure that Q isn't the 10th letter of the alphabet. 

Why not Android 19. And then if they release a new version next year, Android 20. It seems like other than Apple, no one really uses the yearly car manufacturer naming convention (and even then I'm pretty sure in Apple's case it's mostly outside reporters assigning those years, not Apple itself). With years you both remove any ambiguity about what came first, but you also get an easy metric for how recent the version is, or how far apart two versions are. If someone tells me a phone is running Lollipop, I have no goddamn idea how out of date I am, and in a couple years it'll be the exact same way with Android 10.